2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

89 win pace. Since they were 3-6 they've played at a 105 win pace through some tough teams in that stretch. 

Pythagorean record is a 98 or so win pace. That’s probably the best measure to look at as far as predictiveness. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

0.60 ERA - 0.27 WHIP - .063 OBA
1 BB / 16 K ( 15 IP)

Has inherited 3 runners and allowed them all to score. 
Phil Maton says fuck your era bitch. I ain’t about it. 
another than that great season so far for Phil. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Has inherited 3 runners and allowed them all to score. 
Phil Maton says fuck your era bitch. I ain’t about it. 
another than that great season so far for Phil. 

Didn't Mato inherit the bases loaded against Detroit and only give up 1?

38 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Didn't Mato inherit the bases loaded against Detroit and only give up 1?

Yeah he’s only like 3/8 in looking at it. The. As thing is he’s like 2/5 in situations where he only needed to get one out to get out of the inning. 

Keep seeing talk about us not signing another starting pitcher. Do you sign a starter when you have 6 on the roster ? No one expects to have 3 starters go down. So you don’t plant for that with signing another guy. 

any mid level guys signed this off-season doing good so far this season ?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Keep seeing talk about us not signing another starting pitcher. Do you sign a starter when you have 6 on the roster ? No one expects to have 3 starters go down. So you don’t plant for that with signing another guy. 

any mid level guys signed this off-season doing good so far this season ?

Except McCullers was already down. So it was really 5. They should have brought in someone.

Eovaldi is an example. Someone like that. And no, he specifically is not setting the world on fire yet, but he has a track record and I’d take my chances on him over some quad-A guy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Guess Who Is Back GIFs | Tenor

Never one to miss an opportunity to shit on this team...

• Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So was the seventh starter just going to hang out in the bullpen for long relief?

Yeah by definition your 7, 8, 9 guys are going to spend most of the year in the minors.  They're either AAAA guys or young guys just ready to come up.  There are only so many roster spots.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Except McCullers was already down. So it was really 5. They should have brought in someone.

Eovaldi is an example. Someone like that. And no, he specifically is not setting the world on fire yet, but he has a track record and I’d take my chances on him over some quad-A guy. 

GTFO with this hindsight BS.  This is what farm systems are for.  If you aren't looking to promote at least one starter a year from the farm, what's the point of having a farm system?  Astros will be fine.

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Eovaldi started the second game of the season for the Rangers.   He never would have agreed to come here to be a "just in case of injury!" spot starter.  Anyone who was willing to be the 7th (or 6th, if you insist) option on this team likely wasn't talented enough to make a difference.  

And, in the hypothetical world where we do sign someone talented enough to actually crack our rotation, all that means is that Hunter Brown would have started the season in the bullpen.  Yay?

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1