2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

Just now, immamac said:

lol hottest takes today

I will make sure to bump this thread and the one on Maalik in December.  We will see who is right.  I am not expecting much out of our 6th string running back who is 5'10" and 240 pounds with a fat gut.  Or the quarterback who makes Garrett Gilbert look accurate and poised in the pocket.  But for some weird reason you are a big fan boy of JAGs who transfer.

But let me check to make sure I understand you.  You think Maalik is going to be good at Duke.  I don't.

I also think Wisner is much, much better than Red.  You don't.

Is that right?  Or is there some other point you were making here?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I will make sure to bump this thread and the one on Maalik in December.  We will see who is right.  I am not expecting much out of our 6th string running back who is 5'10" and 240 pounds with a fat gut.  Or the quarterback who makes Garrett Gilbert look accurate and poised in the pocket.  But for some weird reason you are a big fan boy of JAGs who transfer.

But let me check to make sure I understand you.  You think Maalik is going to be good at Duke.  I don't.

I think reading between the lines that he is also saying that you need to chill because your life is in his hands.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

he was saying that your Red take is obvious

Edit: I think. Or maybe not. Maybe there's other context

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

oh no, you just have a strong opinion where I have no real opinion and just wish them well. I meant the temperature of your takes quite literally.

I don't think they took away from the program or performed in a way that cost the program anything. I don't think they were dead weight or "JAG", but they definitely weren't good enough to have strong contributions here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Brother Frank, calmate amigo.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

oh no, you just have a strong opinion where I have no real opinion and just wish them well. I meant the temperature of your takes quite literally.

I don't think they took away from the program or performed in a way that cost the program anything. I don't think they were dead weight or "JAG", but they definitely weren't good enough to have strong contributions here.

Red was never not a problem. He was good enough to play, but there was always something with him. It’s a net positive that he’s gone, so that would make him a negative contributor in my book. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.5039bede012ba13e8bc9aa6a19b98b6e.png

That's huge for us, honestly. Colin Simmons said that one of the reasons he came here was because of the way the staff treated his little brother, and I think we all remember Ant Hill's brother and how much time Sark spent with him.

• Hook 'Em 8

14 minutes ago, BigMeatyHorns said:

That's huge for us, honestly. Colin Simmons said that one of the reasons he came here was because of the way the staff treated his little brother, and I think we all remember Ant Hill's brother and how much time Sark spent with him.

JT Sanders' Grandpa had a lot  to do with Ant Hill coming here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

(Damonic Williams update from earlier today, from OU 247.  To summarize their sentiments in a visual:

image.png.61d5272e94d3de86612eb3c12375d2b7.png

)

Collin's Corner: Breaking down the Damonic Williams sweepstakes out of the OU visit (4/22)

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

Spoiler

Collin's Corner: Breaking down the Damonic Williams sweepstakes out of the OU visit (4/22)

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

The Oklahoma spring game has come and gone. Obviously the overall attention was placed on the field, but those who follow things closely know the weekend featured a ton of emphasis on who was actually visiting for the scrimmage.

That included, of course, Damonic Williams. One of the top transfer defensive tackle available in the portal was in Norman for the weekend.

The latest? A breakdown of the race? That right here:

- We'll start with the name everyone wants to discuss. Damonic Williams wrapped up his trip to Norman yesterday and now the great wait begins.

Williams had a productive multi-day visit at Oklahoma, getting to spend plenty of time with the staff. Multiple meetings were had between Williams and the Sooners' coaches, several conversations that placed Oklahoma in a quality standing. Also worth noting that Williams did spend a good amount of time with fellow transfer portal defensive tackle target Jermayne Lole, but more on him in a second.

As far as Williams, let's be transparent: The price tag is going to be steep, as is well-known. But early hearings indicate Oklahoma is more than willing to play ball to the best of its ability.

That being said, the big thing many around this portal recruitment were keeping an eye out for was a continued visit schedule. Williams has started to make it known that he does plan to take more trips, the next one being to Texas.

The Longhorns are an interesting study as it relates to the potential impact on this portal process. Williams has been linked to Texas for several reasons, but there are a few things to work through here. 

Can Texas work through the NIL game here? Sure. Are the Longhorns willing to? Tough to say for sure, especially with Texas still in the driver's seat with two other transfer portal defensive tackles. That's a lot of investment into one specific group, so striking that balance will be part of the equation. Then there's Williams' side. Would he be willing to potentially join a room that might be adding two other proven defensive tackle talents? What might be the NIL figures that'd get Williams to be comfortable with that setting? Williams' time in Austin begins tomorrow.

Then, beyond Oklahoma and Texas, other contenders are preparing to take their shot at Williams. One program that many have kept an eye on is Missouri, the Tigers likely to get him on campus soon. We reported before the weekend that some behind the scenes felt Williams would likely cancel one of his original visits then slot either Missouri or Oregon into the slate, it sounds like the Tigers could replace Colorado in Williams' schedule. Missouri 

Oregon is still hovering, but waiting to get word on a visit timeframe. LSU also remains on the schedule, but the current read I get is that people feel other programs are in better position than the Tigers as things currently stand. 

Oklahoma, for lack of better term, placed itself in the 'lead'. But with Williams leaving campus, uncommitted and planning to examine other programs, this is where the numerous variables of a portal process kick in. Williams is going to examine these programs largely based on things like future NFL Draft potential, playing time and development plus NIL opportunities all relative to his final two years of eligibility. Oklahoma presented a strong pitch, but now Williams will be hearing out the other heavy hitters involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

As Steve Sarkisian has started his spring practice exit interviews, there has been some potential movement behind the scenes.

Just so everyone is aware, we are hearing of a returning Longhorns defensive starter potentially hitting the portal.

However, no decision has been finalized to our knowledge. And I want to make sure everyone understands I italicized the word “potentially” for a reason.

We’ll see what happens in the next 24 hours and update accordingly.

The deadline to enter the portal ends April 30.

Bobby

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

As Steve Sarkisian has started his spring practice exit interviews, there has been some potential movement behind the scenes.

Just so everyone is aware, we are hearing of a returning Longhorns defensive starter potentially hitting the portal.

However, no decision has been finalized to our knowledge. And I want to make sure everyone understands I italicized the word “potentially” for a reason.

Bobby

Sorrel? Burke? Brooks? Can’t be Hill or Muhammad

fuck I hope it’s Taafee

Edited by HillCountryBevo
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby

Edited by LebongJames

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Brooks maybe?

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Brooks makes the most sense. Wasn’t it mentioned on here he was considering the portal at the end of the 2022 season and there was some disconnect between the staff and his dad?

Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby!

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Brooks makes the most sense. Wasn’t it mentioned on here he was considering the portal at the end of the 2022 season and there was some disconnect between the staff and his dad?

There was but that particular issue was put to bed before the Alamo Bowl vs Washington. 

1 minute ago, chad.ihrig said:

Broughton maybe? He has two starts.
Something just seems off with him missing a spring game to get married.

I would hope Bobby wouldn’t be referring to Broughton as a returning starter, because that would really be reaching.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I agree Brooks seems most likely. There’s been speculation Sark may look for a corner in the portal going back to the first window. I think the kid from Arizona might have scheduled a visit and backed out. Gerry also mentioned corner recently. 

10 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

My guess is Jahdae Barron and it’s because he needs to start at corner to maximize his draft prospects.  

That would almost make no sense because those type of conversations would have happened before he decided to return. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is how you get around the SEC transfer rule:  leave aggy for USC until the second portal window opens, then head on over to Auburn.

The rule only applies to the spring window, he could have transferred straight to Auburn when he went to USC and it wouldn’t have been an issue. 

Edited by bEastTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm going to wild ass guess Alfred Collins because he doesn't like all DT portals we are looking to bring in.

He's not a returning starter tho. Also, there are some rumblings that we’d take a transfer corner if it made sense. I'm going with Brooks here.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm going to wild ass guess Alfred Collins because he doesn't like all DT portals we are looking to bring in.

The guy who the coaches had speak to the media a few days ago?

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.