2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

10 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

P.S. Why is Hayes acting like such a dick in this interview? 

I thought he was a little tough on him but Buttigieg handled himself well. Hayes seems genuinely intrigued by him and I think it's helpful in the long run to not get softball questions tossed his way.

Thought Pete came across really well. Still a lot to learn about him but so far so good.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That looks really really bad, but not treason bad.

Reveal hidden contents

okay, treason bad

Fred Upton sucks.  88.7% Trump voter.  94.7% in the 115th Congress.   The fuck you doing, Joe?  We were trying to kick these fucking idiots out, not keep them in the House.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/fred-upton/

20 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Lol were you in a coma for the entirety of the 2004 election? The right wing propaganda machine made a decorated Vietnam vet out to be an anti-military pussy while a guy who had his daddy get him into the champagne unit at the national guard was apparently the second coming of Patton. There will never be any way to "take away" a right wing talking point because they are completely unmoored from any semblance of reality. The Dems could nominate the most milquetoast bloodless inoffensive centrist and Republicans would screech that (s)he is the next coming of Mao. Its laughable that people actually think the Dems could ever do anything to blunt attacks from the right

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I've been saying it ad nauseum, but Joe Biden really really sucks. He's always sucked. He will always suck. I know there were a lot of fun memes about him during the Obama years, but he is really really bad as a candidate and he's gross in many ways.

Let it go, people, let Uncle Joe go to the retirement home where he can get forever handsy with teen girls in peace.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Aye de Mi!  That's going to be really interesting in how it plays and the legality of it.  

Here are some other parts of it:

Warren’s proposal includes at least three new mechanisms to combat tax evasion, according to a person familiar with the plan. Those are a significant increase in funding for the Internal Revenue Service; a mandatory audit rate requiring a certain number of people who pay the wealth tax to be subject to an audit every year; and a one-time tax penalty for those who have more than $50 million and try to renounce their U.S. citizenship...

Republicans are likely to seize on the plan as another example of Democrats looking to tax Americans' hard-earned gains, even though it would apply to only a tiny percentage of the population. In their major tax overhaul passed December 2017, Republicans significantly hiked the threshold for the federal estate tax - exempting estates with assets of $11.4 million (in 2019) or less from paying it. They have often referred to this provision, which affects several families a year, as the “death tax.”

The Estate Tax exemption raises and associated loop holes are really allowing the concentration of wealth for the top 1% in the last 20 years....

18 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I've been saying it ad nauseum, but Joe Biden really really sucks. He's always sucked. He will always suck. I know there were a lot of fun memes about him during the Obama years, but he is really really bad as a candidate and he's gross in many ways.

Let it go, people, let Uncle Joe go to the retirement home where he can get forever handsy with teen girls in peace.

I’ve felt the same way for a while.  I don’t know what people see in him other than longing for a past he had little to do with and wasn’t that great anyway.  He’s everything wrong with the democrats rolled into one. 

I cant think of one signature Joe Biden accomplishment politically and he’s been in politics his entire life.

30 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Aye de Mi!  That's going to be really interesting in how it plays and the legality of it.  

Here are some other parts of it:

The Estate Tax exemption raises and associated loop holes are really allowing the concentration of wealth for the top 1% in the last 20 years....

The Democrats need to stop being scared of the Republicans and take this fight head-on.

No American should inherit a billion dollars.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The interesting thing about this primary is that people are so hyper aware of corruption, bad faith, and elitism due to Trump, that the same criticisms justifiably are noted with D candidates as well. We are sick of this shit and party affiliation doesn't even matter. 

Nuh-huh, bOtH sIdEs are exactly the same so it doesn't matter who you vote for!

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

Siap, but Buttigieg was on NPR's "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" a few years ago. 

I thought he was awesome.

I'm on Team Pete! Big Time!

I guess he's probably not trying to convert any of the rubes anyway, but his name alone makes him unelectable because we are living in Idiocracy.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve felt the same way for a while.  I don’t know what people see in him other than longing for a past he had little to do with and wasn’t that great anyway.  He’s everything wrong with the democrats rolled into one. 

I cant think of one signature Joe Biden accomplishment politically and he’s been in politics his entire life.

He helped make sure Clarence Thomas got through, so he's got that going for him.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My really early preference is Warren/Beto.  I'll obviously vote for anyone, but them's my horses for now.

I'd take Harris/Beto or Harris/Brown.  Only downside of Brown is a GOP picks his replacement in Ohio.  And that sucks if the Senate is 50/50 and we immediately lose it after the inauguration.

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I'd take Harris/Beto or Harris/Brown.  Only downside of Brown is a GOP picks his replacement in Ohio.  And that sucks if the Senate is 50/50 and we immediately lose it after the inauguration.

Harris and her AG moves in Cali irk me a bit, but I'll give her a chance for sure.  CNN Townhall this weekend I think?

Link for full essay: https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/education/profile-in-courage-essay-contest/past-winning-essays/2000-winning-essay-by-peter-buttigieg

Excerpt: 

A new attitude has swept American politics. Candidates have discovered that is easier to be elected by not offending anyone rather than by impressing the voters. Politicians are rushing for the center, careful not to stick their necks out on issues. Most Democrats shy away from the word “liberal” like a horrid accusation. Republican presidential hopeful George W. Bush uses the centrist rhetoric of “compassionate conservatism” while Pat Buchanan, once considered a mainstream Republican, has been driven off the ideological edge of the G.O.P. Just as film producers shoot different endings and let test audiences select the most pleasing, some candidates run “test platforms” through sample groups to see which is most likely to win before they speak out on major issue. This disturbing trend reveals cynicism, a double-sided problem, which is perhaps, the greatest threat to the continued success of the American political system.

Cynical candidates have developed an ability to outgrow their convictions in order to win power. Cynical citizens have given up on the election process, going to the polls at one of the lowest rates in the democratic world. Such an atmosphere inevitably distances our society from its leadership and is thus a fundamental threat to the principles of democracy. It also calls into question what motivates a run for office – in many cases, apparently, only the desire to occupy it. Fortunately for the political process, there remain a number of committed individuals who are steadfast enough in their beliefs to run for office to benefit their fellow Americans. Such people are willing to eschew political and personal comfort and convenience because they believe they can make a difference. One outstanding and inspiring example of such integrity is the country’s only Independent Congressman, Vermont’s Bernie Sanders.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Booty juice seems like he’d make a great chief of staff or defense secretary over the next decade.

Not sure I feel comfortable with him as potus yet because I have no idea how he would handle a real crisis or rebound from mistakes. 

Booty Geist

37 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I bet you could really get that Fox viewers to approve it too if they just explained that half of the people affected would be black athletes and Hollywood elites.

I would be shocked if a majority of Republicans did not support taxing the shit out of the wealthy.  This is why Republican pols choose to battle over cultural issues.  This is a funny issue where there is both bipartisan support among each base and a bipartisan lack of support among the political leadership of each party, although that may change soon.

Edited by Fozzz

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I would be shocked if a majority of Republicans did not support taxing the shit out of the wealthy.  This is why Republican pols choose to battle over cultural issues.  This is a funny issue where there is both bipartisan support among each base and a bipartisan lack of support among the political leadership of each party, although that may change soon.

Well yeah, they themselves and their donors don't want to pay more in taxes.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah, they themselves and their donors don't want to pay more in taxes.

I think the most important part of Bernie's run in 2016 was that it showed that - even in the post-Citizens United world - with the right policies and messaging, you don't necessarily need to rely on corporate financing to win national offices, which is a necessary (but hardly sufficient) condition for things to change.  

14 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

Isn't much of Kamala's staff ex-Clinton aides? 

Some.

General counsel Marc Elias jumped on, KH's national comm director was Clinton's Iowa comm director,  guy who handled Clinton's ballot access and delegate ops is a senior adviser, and also a deputy finance person is KH's national finance director.