2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

Poor Beto. 

https://medium.com/@BetoORourke/i-had-been-to-ulysses-kansas-once-before-briefly-312e9dac8011

Attn: Bama Chick 

Beto’s wife is not connecting with him as much as he would like. He’s alone on the road. 

“I called Amy. Kids were in the car, she was a little distracted, we didn’t connect either. Maybe you could meet people at a bar she said as we hung up.”

In a normal world this shouldn’t matter but Joe Biden’s Twitter game is currently awful.  If you’re about to launch a presidential bid, you should be pushing out your ideas and opinions on the current events daily.

Not one tweet about the shutdown...not one.

Great leadership Uncle Joe.

AOC should surpass him in twitter followers in about a month.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In a normal world this shouldn’t matter but Joe Biden’s Twitter game is currently awful.  If you’re about to launch a presidential bid, you should be pushing out your ideas and opinions on the current events daily.

Not one tweet about the shutdown...not one.

Great leadership Uncle Joe.

AOC should surpass him in twitter followers in about a month.

Maybe he's not running.

More bullshit from one of the most Trumpian Dems in the House.

For a moment in August, an event hall in Texas teemed with hope, taquitos and unity.

It was a border-town stop for Beto O’Rourke’s Senate campaign, but another Democratic politician commanded particular attention: Gina Ortiz Jones, a history-making congressional candidate — gay, Filipina-American, an Iraq war veteran — hoping to turn a majority-Hispanic district blue. “Really special person,” Mr. O’Rourke said, as Ms. Jones stood and waved.

But soon, a county chairwoman posed an uncomfortable question. Mr. O’Rourke had not endorsed Ms. Jones. In fact, he had elevated her Republican opponent, Representative Will Hurd, with frequent praise and, most memorably, a live-streamed bipartisan road trip that helped jump-start their midterm campaigns. Would Mr. O’Rourke support the Democrat?

He would not.

“This is a place where my politics and my job and my commitment to this country come into conflict,” Mr. O’Rourke said. “I’m going to put country over party.”

Some supporters of Ms. Jones saw it differently: Beto O’Rourke was once again putting Beto O’Rourke first.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/us/politics/beto-orourke-democrats-president.html

5 hours ago, Fozzz said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/us/politics/beto-orourke-democrats-president.html

Will Hurd is the only person in that section of the article who is "in the House."

So, now standard election hypocrisy and slipperiness is "Trumpian?"

jlaw-ok.gif

For a moment in August, an event hall in Texas teemed with hope, taquitos and unity.

It was a border-town stop for Beto O’Rourke’s Senate campaign, but another Democratic politician commanded particular attention: Gina Ortiz Jones, a history-making congressional candidate — gay, Filipina-American, an Iraq war veteran — hoping to turn a majority-Hispanic district blue. “Really special person,” Mr. O’Rourke said, as Ms. Jones stood and waved.

But soon, a county chairwoman posed an uncomfortable question. Mr. O’Rourke had not endorsed Ms. Jones. In fact, he had elevated her Republican opponent, Representative Will Hurd, with frequent praise and, most memorably, a live-streamed bipartisan road trip that helped jump-start their midterm campaigns. Would Mr. O’Rourke support the Democrat?

He would not.

“This is a place where my politics and my job and my commitment to this country come into conflict,” Mr. O’Rourke said. “I’m going to put country over party.”

Some supporters of Ms. Jones saw it differently: Beto O’Rourke was once again putting Beto O’Rourke first.

Watch out Democrats, the progressive maximalist thought police aren’t taking any shit this time.

1 hour ago, softlynow said:

Will Hurd is the only person in that section of the article who is "in the House."

So, now standard election hypocrisy and slipperiness is "Trumpian?"

jlaw-ok.gif

No, during his tenure in the House he was one of the most Trump Dems in the entire caucus. 

Just now, Fozzz said:

No, during his tenure in the House he was one of the most Trump Dems in the entire caucus. 

Show your work, please.

According to the scatter chart at Govtrack (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/beto_orourke/412575), he appears to be left-of-center, with high scores from liberal groups, and low-to-moderate from right-leaning ones.

I can't say you're wrong, because I didn't follow his legislative work, only his Senate campaign, so lay it out.

Show your work, please.
According to the scatter chart at Govtrack (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/beto_orourke/412575), he appears to be left-of-center, with high scores from liberal groups, and low-to-moderate from right-leaning ones.
I can't say you're wrong, because I didn't follow his legislative work, only his Senate campaign, so lay it out.

Maybe Fozzz is talking about his Twitter game when he was in the house because it was so much like Trump’s.

31 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Show your work, please.

He had the fifth highest pro-Trump voting margin among any Dem House member when accounting for the blueness of his district. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/house/

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Harris has a ton of energy and a good base to work with.  What she lacks is visible substance.  However, that could work to her advantage as it gives people fewer reasons not to like her. 

The base part is important.  Obama and HRC both won their primaries on the backs of black voters + young progressives (Obama) / older progressives (HRC).

Harris also benefits from a favorable calendar - good enough showing in Iowa + win NV/SC + clean up on March 3rd (California, Alabama, North Carolina, Virginia and maybe Texas if Beto stays out)

My suspicion is that booker will jump in very soon. I feel like him and Harris have some sort of “I can do it better, louder, more dramatic” thing going on and her getting in right now is more about being the first AA in the race, ahead of booker. I think at the end of the day they’ll make each other look like assess bragging about who stole which idea from whom and having a “it’s all about me” attitude. Beto wipes the floor with everyone in likeability. Experience could be his downfall but it wasn’t for trump so he would seem to be the leader if he jumps in. As a conservative, Beto and Biden are the most electable. If either was a running mate for the other it would be a lock to win in my opinion. 

Edit: Tulsi is the only other person besides Beto and Joe on that list that are even remotely likeable. Bernie would be but Clinton castrated him last round. No one wants a eunuch in office. 

Edited by Jhawk

34 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

My suspicion is that booker will jump in very soon. I feel like him and Harris have some sort of “I can do it better, louder, more dramatic” thing going on and her getting in right now is more about being the first AA in the race, ahead of booker. I think at the end of the day they’ll make each other look like assess bragging about who stole which idea from whom and having a “it’s all about me” attitude. 

Edit: Tulsi is the only other person besides Beto and Joe on that list that are even remotely likeable. Bernie would be but Clinton castrated him last round. No one wants a eunuch in office. 

It’s really not even clear what you’re basing this stealing ideas or it’s all about me thing from. What does that even mean?

tulsi is likable. Smh

youre voting for trump in 2020 anyway.

43 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

It’s really not even clear what you’re basing this stealing ideas or it’s all about me thing from. What does that even mean?

tulsi is likable. Smh

youre voting for trump in 2020 anyway.

Based on the senate hearings I watched it seemed like they were in a game of one upping each other.  From the outside looking in, they seem like friends who enjoy each other but would step on each other's throats to advance their own careers.  In a debate I would assume this would come out and they would try and talk down each other's accomplishments to try and relate to voters rather than talk up their own accomplishments.

Tulsi checks a lot of boxes without being some incredibly obnoxious politician.  A lot of people can get behind her.

What does my vote matter in regards to my questions and comments?  Are you suggesting that the entire population should be less educated about the candidates?  I'd like to know more about potential politicians and not less.

2 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Holy shit at Tulsi being likeable and getting people behind her. What in the hell are you smoking? She isn't well known and those who know her generally do not like her.

I did not know that about her status in the party.  She's young, attractive, military service, etc.  If you're looking for energy, she is a reasonable face of the party that isn't off the rails to the left or too centrist (I would think).  She would smoke any repub in love for the military so that takes away a talking point.  She's a young woman so the dems can continue to harp on "old white men".  If the party would put time and money into her PR then she would be a slam dunk I thought.  As a conservative, she would be someone I would NOT fear in ruining the country so I would see over the top attack ads as blasphemy and out of touch.  Which would turn me off to a republican candidate and maybe get me to stay home.  However if someone like Clinton or AOC or Warren were running then I would absolutely see attack ads as true and it would get me up to go to the polls.  A candidate like Tulsi could lull the opposition to sleep I guess is what I'm saying.

8 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Imo, the only person at this time who has a good shot is Biden.

Harris? No way.

I think that Harris and Booker are going to run to try and elevate their star status and I think it is going to backfire incredibly.  Maybe even toss Warren in that category too.  It just isn't the right time for either of them.  They'll be put in the same corner as little Marco.

Say what you want about trump, he might not have known policy and he might have been pandering to a far right base, but he absolutely hit Hillary with perfect jabs and some haymakers during the debates that did more damage than knowledge on any subject could overcome.  That's what the dems are fighting against.  It isn't about who knows the inner workings of the EU the best or how to handle trade with china.  It is about who is made of teflon and who doesn't stumble when they get hit.  Booker, Harris, and maybe even warren will absolutely start stuttering the second they are punched.  Or they'll pull a Mitt romney and hit back but in a way that is seen as bitchy and petty (like when mitt wanted to bet $10k on a policy position).  I know people will say that Trump's hits are petty and bitchy and it is true.  But in a fight it is always the second punch that gets caught and punished, never the first.

Just now, Jhawk said:

I think that Harris and Booker are going to run to try and elevate their star status and I think it is going to backfire incredibly.  Maybe even toss Warren in that category too.  It just isn't the right time for either of them.  They'll be put in the same corner as little Marco.

Say what you want about trump, he might not have known policy and he might have been pandering to a far right base, but he absolutely hit Hillary with perfect jabs and some haymakers during the debates that did more damage than knowledge on any subject could overcome.  That's what the dems are fighting against.  It isn't about who knows the inner workings of the EU the best or how to handle trade with china.  It is about who is made of teflon and who doesn't stumble when they get hit.  Booker, Harris, and maybe even warren will absolutely start stuttering the second they are punched.  Or they'll pull a Mitt romney and hit back but in a way that is seen as bitchy and petty (like when mitt wanted to bet $10k on a policy position).  I know people will say that Trump's hits are petty and bitchy and it is true.  But in a fight it is always the second punch that gets caught and punished, never the first.

Kamala Harris will mop the floor with Donald Trump.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Kamala Harris will mop the floor with Donald Trump.

So will hillary clinton.  Why do you think Harris will mop the floor?  What is she equipped with that DT should fear?

Edited by Jhawk

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

So will hillary clinton.  Why do you think Harris will mop the floor?  What is she equipped with that DT should fear?

Have you watched her Senate hearings? She's outstanding. She can handle anything Donald Trump throws at her and return in kind.

Kamala Harris isn't worried about Donald Trump.

14 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I did not know that about her status in the party.  She's young, attractive, military service, etc.  If you're looking for energy, she is a reasonable face of the party that isn't off the rails to the left or too centrist (I would think).  She would smoke any repub in love for the military so that takes away a talking point.  She's a young woman so the dems can continue to harp on "old white men".  If the party would put time and money into her PR then she would be a slam dunk I thought.  As a conservative, she would be someone I would NOT fear in ruining the country so I would see over the top attack ads as blasphemy and out of touch.  Which would turn me off to a republican candidate and maybe get me to stay home.  However if someone like Clinton or AOC or Warren were running then I would absolutely see attack ads as true and it would get me up to go to the polls.  A candidate like Tulsi could lull the opposition to sleep I guess is what I'm saying.

You could've saved a lot of typing by simply saying "I'm stupid and easily swayed by bullshit."

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Yeah trump hit her with the fatal, “I know you are but what am I” retort during the debates. You can’t beat that. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Have you watched her Senate hearings? She's outstanding. She can handle anything Donald Trump throws at her and return in kind.

Kamala Harris isn't worried about Donald Trump.

No one gets to hit back in the senate hearings.  When you sit in a chair that's elevated 3 feet above the person you are allowed to have open season on and you can cut them off and then cede your time to someone else without ever being question on your thought or thought process it is pretty easy to look good.  But if that is the reason she is a good candidate then I hope she wins the primary.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You could've saved a lot of typing by simply saying "I'm stupid and easily swayed by bullshit."

Are you trying to win or are you trying to make a point?  Because in this country, where we race bait (both directions), fear monger, scream about sympathy for the troop (but never act on it), and talk down to each other as much as possible making a point doesn't win.  The average voter isn't as smart as you.  If you were exactly the median voter that means half of all the voters are idiots in your eyes.  You have to give them something to get up about or, in the case of your opposition, not give them something to get up about.  The best way to win is to do both.  Joe Biden would likely do both and I thought Tulsi could do both but apparently that isn't the sentiment within the dem brain trust.

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Yeah trump hit her with the fatal, “I know you are but what am I” retort during the debates. You can’t beat that. 

It is sad but it is true.  With the comey statements and her 9/11 health scare, or whatever it was, the ice was cracking.  Then she got hit with "because you'd be in jail" and like it or not, that resonated with a shitload of Trump supporters.  That happened 10/9/16.  The only question for Trump supporters is if that punch would keep her down until 11/8.  Take that for what it is worth and hate it all you want, but that was the feeling among conservatives.