2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Look at all these republicans in here telling us which dems are likable. 

"I'm a Republican and these are the only candidates I'd vote for, who happen to be the most moderate or conservative and/or the most white and male! You must listen to me or I will be forced to vote for Trump again!"

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As someone who owns a section 8 property I can tell you right now that tax credits for low income renters cannot be serious.  Many of my tenants pay $15 per month for rent.  They don't have income to use tax credits against.  Now if she is setting up a system where federal tax credits can be sold without being tied to an asset then that is something new and would potentially help my business.  From a political standpoint though this is a thinly disguised cash handout as tax credits are "generated" by an activity (building/restoring real estate) that helps the community as a whole.  Being a low income renter isn't really an activity.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

"I'm a Republican and these are the only candidates I'd vote for, who happen to be the most moderate or conservative and/or the most white and male! You must listen to me or I will be forced to vote for Trump again!"

Kinda like when Hugo was telling us that Jeb is the best option.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Agreed. They should just egg Democrats on to nominate Harris and say it’s a good idea. When your enemy is making errors, you don’t interrupt him.

Your opinion means nothing because no one here wants your vote.  You'll vote GOP, regardless of who the Democrats pick, and your furrowed brow and grimace will not be exceeded by even a Jeff Flake or Susan Collins.  "Oh if only that pesky Democrats would have nominated (any individual who is not the nominee), they surely would have gotten my vote!"

Your opinion means nothing because no one here wants your vote.  You'll vote GOP, regardless of who the Democrats pick, and your furrowed brow and grimace will not be exceeded by even a Jeff Flake or Susan Collins.  "Oh if only that pesky Democrats would have nominated (any individual who is not the nominee), they surely would have gotten my vote!"

This. GOP voters are not to be courted or catered to - it’s a waste of time. They’ll vote Trump, no matter what. There’s no turning then. There’s no saving them. Defeat them, shame them, and marginalize them. That’s the only viable path.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

This. GOP voters are not to be courted or catered to - it’s a waste of time. They’ll vote Trump, no matter what. There’s no turning then. There’s no saving them. Defeat them, shame them, and marginalize them. That’s the only viable path.

Glad you’re warming up to the idea of not playing the centrist game.

People don’t notice just how far off the reservation the Republicans have gone.  Democrats should not pander to them at all.  They’ve abandoned the idea of working for the people.  They’ve given up on democracy.  No quarter for these folks. 

I'm saying, I want the Democrats to lose. Nominating Harris will help with that outcome, as opposed to say...Beto or Biden...so I'm all for it! Yay Harris! Harris2020!

Signed, another “I really don’t like Trump and don’t want to vote for him....but who am I kidding, I’ll vote for him no matter what” voter.
Discard all further opinion and comment from poster, it’s going to be exactly as worthless as you think.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Glad you’re warming up to the idea of not playing the centrist game.

People don’t notice just how far off the reservation the Republicans have gone.  Democrats should not pander to them at all.  They’ve abandoned the idea of working for the people.  They’ve given up on democracy.  No quarter for these folks.  

The best defense for the other side going off the reservation is going off the reservation?

I've got no illusion that catering to Trumpists is a fools errand.  But if I want to maximize the anti-Trump vote, I'm not sure I can just pick anyone to left of Trump to beat him.  

It FEELS like going progressive makes sense.  But if that progressive isn't very attractive, I'm worried that some anti-Trumpers would stay home.

More gut feel and being on the wrong side of 50 than anything else, but that's my initial thought.

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would like to think all the serious Democrat contenders would beat Trump, but this is starting to look like the Dems are about to mirror the 2016 GOP Primary clown shown when they had 18 candidates.  If you’ve got all these people running and trying to do anything to stand out, plus a base in an angry populist mood, they’re just going to try to one up each other with red meat nonsense and the best carnival barkers will rise to the top.

Hopefully the Dems will just ignore about 12 of the people likely to run, limit cable news debates (i.e., glorified wrestling promos), and keep things from getting out of control.  If they end up choosing someone because they “out-Bernied” Bernie, or because they were the angriest and loudest, I think Trump would be right back in it.

If Biden runs, he'll get the nomination, IMO.

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would like to think all the serious Democrat contenders would beat Trump, but this is starting to look like the Dems are about to mirror the 2016 GOP Primary clown shown when they had 18 candidates.  If you’ve got all these people running and trying to do anything to stand out, plus a base in an angry populist mood, they’re just going to try to one up each other with red meat nonsense and the best carnival barkers will rise to the top.

Hopefully the Dems will just ignore about 12 of the people likely to run, limit cable news debates (i.e., glorified wrestling promos), and keep things from getting out of control.  If they end up choosing someone because they “out-Bernied” Bernie, or because they were the angriest and loudest, I think Trump would be right back in it.

I don't think the candidates on the bottom tier (Gabbard, Ojeda, that other random House member) will get much traction.  Gillibrand is getting some, but not much.

It's going to Biden-Harris-Warren-Beto-Bernie. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yep. 

"I'd consider voting for this Democrat." - Republican that will dutifully and blindly vote for any GOP candidate

I'm gonna blindly vote for whoever the D is but I hope that's not a far left loon like Bernie.  But if it is...I'll still vote for that person. 

• Like 2

I'm gonna blindly vote for whoever the D is but I hope that's not a far left loon like Bernie.  But if it is...I'll still vote for that person. 

I’m going to vote for the sanest and most responsible candidate who gets out of the primaries. There is a 0.0% that this person will or could possibly be a member of the GOP.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I’m going to vote for the sanest and most responsible candidate who gets out of the primaries. There is a 0.0% that this person will or could possibly be a member of the GOP.

That's pretty much what I was saying.  Thanks for putting it properly. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Engrish

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don't think the candidates on the bottom tier (Gabbard, Ojeda, that other random House member) will get much traction.  Gillibrand is getting some, but not much.

It's going to Biden-Harris-Warren-Beto-Bernie. 

For Bernie, keep in mind Dems changed the rules.  In 2020, you can’t remain Independent and campaign to be the Dem nominee.  

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

If Biden runs, he'll get the nomination, IMO.

Holding out hope.  There’s no way Joe is too old.  He’s in tons better shape than the this fat fuck dotard.  

He will appeal to many in the middle too.  So many of the current candidates are going to be far left.  Too big a risk moderates stay home.  Fuck those people for being like that but they need to be accounted for.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Holding out hope.  There’s no way Joe is too old.  He’s in tons better shape than the this fat fuck dotard.  

He will appeal to many in the middle too.  So many of the current candidates are going to be far left.  Too big a risk moderates stay home.  Fuck those people for being like that but they need to be accounted for.  

There are no far left candidates. M4A, tuition free public college, $15 minimum  wage, green new deal, etc. Are all mainstream now.

By doing nothing Biden has moved far right of center and further right from the Democratic center.

Kamala and Beto are in the new center.

Edited by RayDog

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There are far more unmotivated non-voters out there than "moderates" who are concerned that we're going too far left by saying everyone should get healthcare.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

There are far more unmotivated non-voters out there than "moderates" who are concerned that we're going too far left by saying everyone should get healthcare.

You constantly bring up healthcare like I’m against universal healthcare.  I’m all for it.  

I can get behind Beto too.  Really like him.   I just don’t feel the Bern.  Pie in the sky bozo.  

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You constantly bring up healthcare like I’m against universal healthcare.  I’m all for it.  

I can get behind Beto too.  Really like him.   I just don’t feel the Bern.  Pie in the sky bozo.  

Chitown and I are becoming more and more like brothers from another mother.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a political position of his that I don't share.

• Like 1

If the intellectual force of the Democratic Party had remained Obama -> Hillary we would still be talking about how to best use public money to bribe private insurers into covering the poor, elderly, and sick. As far as I know, that's still Biden's view of how "universal" healthcare should be handled, despite the well-documented and obvious money pit that the private health insurance market is.

Bernie moved the party closer to where it needed to be, reinvigorated it with a passion and spirit, and the party elites and the temporarily-not-Republicans still hate him for it. It's amazing to see. 

It's now just taken for granted that the Dem 2020 nominee will run on Medicare For All when the Dem 2016 nominee...

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if a center-right/centrist Dem wins the nomination and presidency. Too many people have been woken up to go back to being satisfied with a BS market solution like Obamacare.

Stop fighting the necessary change.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Chitown and I are becoming more and more like brothers from another mother.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a political position of his that I don't share.

Yeah, but do you make 6 figures? Because Chitown does. Just ask him.