2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

On 1/24/2019 at 1:04 PM, horncyclist said:

I like this. Would a wealth tax be consititutional though? They'd have to really think through the svasiom issues too.

Trusts and foundations get that sidestepped quickly. Both are the gifts that keep on giving. Someone should actually simplify the code, tax foreign investment in US real estate and entities, and work on collecting what is due.

Too early to pin hopes on any of them. Hopefully one (not named Warren/Sanders) rises to the forefront.

17 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Hell yes. Let's go.

Anyone on a stage with Warren, Sanders, and Harris is going to look like a chump. That trio is going to stomp all the other goofies.

If Buttigieg lasts long enough to join them on stage, he will perform just as well if not better. 

Just give him a shot at national coverage. 

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Even Beto (pronounced around these parts as Bay-Toe)?

I addressed him as Representative O'Rourke once and then Congressman O'Rourke another time.  Apparently very disrespectful.  

I would fear a strong generational gap candidate like Kamala or Beto more than Biden or Warren personally if I was a Republican advisor, even though one of the prior two may actually win the nomination if things break well for them.  I think the change theme/mantra is good for 2020 juxtaposed against Trump just like it was for years like 2008 (Obama) and 2016 (Trump).  

Interested in the mechanics of the wealth tax.  Would all americans be required to provide to the government an accounting of their assets to determine if they owed the wealth tax? How does that actually work. Say I have a few hundred million in paintings, or classic cars.  Do I have to have an appraiser come out and issue me a tax appraisal.  How do all those assets gets valued and reported to the government?  Or is this just based on cash and securities in the bank.  Do we all have to report our bank balances to the government each year?

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Interested in the mechanics of the wealth tax.  Would all americans be required to provide to the government an accounting of their assets to determine if they owed the wealth tax? How does that actually work. Say I have a few hundred million in paintings, or classic cars.  Do I have to have an appraiser come out and issue me a tax appraisal.  How do all those assets gets valued and reported to the government?  Or is this just based on cash and securities in the bank.  Do we all have to report our bank balances to the government each year?

Are you under the impression the government doesn't already know what your bank balances are?

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

None of what I'm about to say reflects on Warren's plan. I do not know the answers to those questions in terms of her plan.

Ideally, we revamp funding of the IRS's effort in chasing extreme wealth to be a bounty system similar to how social welfare services operate when trying to find people getting too many SNAP benefits or somesuch. The low-hanging fruit would absolutely be things like cash, securities, and bank balances, but I've got no problem with taxing ostentatious wealth, like multi-million dollar supercars, hundreds of millions in paintings, or yachts with IMAX theaters.

For the wealthy and those whose political ideals revolve around worship of the wealthy, there's something important to notice: There has been a HUGE shift in Democratic views regarding taxation. For decades it's been about trying to eliminate the deficits and reduce overall debt. That is increasingly ignored for the (far more correct and far more obvious) vision of wealth taxation as a good in itself. Regardless of impact on deficits and debts, people are starting to realize that the rich should not have that much. The existence of a billionaire class is a moral crime and a failure of policy.

The worm is turning. Let's make it as clean as possible.

For a person worth around $10mm, Warren seems slightly out of touch with the common folks.  

"A Female Native American Presidential Candidate Multi-Millionaire" ???

I had something for this /Archer

52 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Hillary is a good part of the reason trump is president. 

Probably the most tired and bullshit talking point.  Hillary didn’t nominate Trump.  Trump didn’t get more people to vote for him than Hillary.  These are facts.  

It’s not Hillary’s fault half the country is brain dead.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Probably the most tired and bullshit talking point.  Hillary didn’t nominate Trump.  Trump didn’t get more people to vote for him than Hillary.  These are facts.  

Some other facts were a lot of people didn’t like her, she got the DNC under her complete control to win the nomination anyway because it was her turn, and she lost the electoral college to a moron in part because she ignored the Midwest.

Those arent bullshit talking points. I again fail to understand your obsession with democrat women who have the best chance of losing an election to trump.

Edited by JimmyJames

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There was also the Comey and the Kremlin. 

It’s like Pelosi, everyone hates her for bullshit reasons that really have nothing to do with her effectiveness as a leader.

In other words, we’re too fucking stupid to blame ourselves so we blame her instead.

She's the candidate that lost.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah - I think you're making the point that it won't work.  It will be very difficult to say the least. 

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s like Pelosi, everyone hates her for bullshit reasons that really have nothing to do with her effectiveness as a leader.

In other words, we’re too fucking stupid to blame ourselves so we blame her instead.

She only has herself to blame for being a really shitty candidate.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

She only has herself to blame for being a really shitty candidate.

She also fucked up probably the best last chance to reform health care in the 90s. She simply wasn’t up to the monumental task, which shouldn’t have been her job anyway, and got eaten alive by the health care interests. 

Still not nearly as bad as helping giving us president shitstain though. 

It’s not Hillary’s fault half the country is brain dead.

Give it a rest. She’s a bad candidate who loses elections because she’s terrible at running for office, struggles to connect to audiences, is incapable of strategic thought, and surrounds herself with problematic fuckups and petty scandal. She didn’t learn a thing from the 2008 primary and came up with new mistakes to go with the old. She lost more than Trump won, and he will win again if we aren’t honest about why she lost.
  • Like 4

Imagine, in 2019, still beating up on Hillary for America electing Trump.

I don’t even like her that much and I’m glad she lost because our situation would probably be worse long term but when people blame her for Trump it’s pathetic.  

We need to own Trump as a reflection of our own flaws instead of scapegoating him with the Russians, or Comey, or the media, or the Hillary bullshit.

• Like 1

No. Pelosi is an authentic political genius and the greatest legislative tactician of her generation.
Contrast that with the delta between Hillary Clinton’s ambition and her capability, which made Donald Trump President. It’s a no excuses business and Pelosi wins because she’s great at what she does. Hillary Clinton piles up losses and blames others.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Imagine, in 2019, still beating up on Hillary for America electing Trump.

I'm not the one making her attack potential 2020 nominees, my man. She is doing that all on her own, because she is pure, flaming garbage.

6-12% of Bernie voters went Trump.

23-25% of Hillary voters went McCain.

Hillary sucks. She's awful. She needs to disappear.

We need to own Trump as a reflection of our own flaws instead of scapegoating him with the Russians, or Comey, or the media, or the Hillary bullshit.

But you'll scapegoat Hillary's historical failure with the Russians, Comey, and the media? Hrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm