2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

Kamala's speech notes...

- talking about how she went after the bankers, talking about their arrogance and their condescension to homeowners
- explicitly mentions "white supremacist" murders in Charlottesville and Pennsylvania
- mentions "children in cages" as a "human rights abuse"
- support for public school
- more attacks on bankers
- attacking gender and race wage gap
- "big pharm has unleashed an opiod crisis" - drug addiction a "national public health emergency" - "we don't need another war on drugs"
- "climate change is real and it is happening now"
- "age old forms of hate with new fuel" good line
- specifically says "cash bail" holy moly I hope this is a new Dem mainstay
- "where any worker can join a union" boner time
- "healthcare is a fundamental right and we will deliver that right with Medicare for All"
- "universal pre-K and debt-free college" (Bernie lost the primary, but he won this party you ungrateful pieces of shit)
- "up to $500/mth to help America's families to make end's meet, reverse this admin's giveaways to corporations and 1%" oooh I'm interested, probably just tax cuts from the previous lines :(
- "pathway to citizenship"
- "reproductive rights are not just protected but guaranateed in every state" took her way too long to get here

DISLIKE
- talking about stopping "transnational gangs", ugh why even mention this shit please don't try and be a "tough on crime" candidate
- "that's not our America", uh fuck yeah it is, and please stop repeating it. provide a positive vision oh shit please don't fuck this up don't do the "SHAME ON YOU, SIR!" shit that lost us 2016
- "we can restore America's moral leadership on this planet" hmmmm wut?
- closing out with a song from "Hamilton" ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

QUESTIONS
- What's the positive vision? Yes, Trump and his policies are shit. Yes, bankers are bad. Yes, public schools are under attack. Yes, immigrants and refugees need protection. What do you propose? This isn't necessarily the venue, but I'm very eager to listen to this woman.

I really want her to win me over.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The boycott of Starbucks will be glorious.

Im thinking of opening an overpriced coffee chain called NOT-Starbucks

Heard that forecast from one of this am's shows.  If he runs, sell your sbux stock because the dems will boycott.  And that is about 80% of their client base.  One would think a financial alpha like Schulz would give that some thought.  Shareholder lawsuit, holla?  Considerable potential misery for him.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Other than enthusiasm, what does Trump bring to the table as a candidate? His experience as a mediocre-at-best businessman doesn't really make for a good Presidential candidate.

While Clinton has only been a SOS for two years, I think being Senator for the state of California gives her a pretty big edge, regarding experience, over Trump.

It is pretty obvious that doesn't matter these days.

30 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Don't think I agree with these takes, but food for thought.  IMO, Schultz is a problem for Dems.

I see why one would think Schulz could find votes, but as I think it through I am with the second tweet. I don't think Schulz is going to take some big chunk of voters either way. Partisan lines have hardened a lot since Perot. See 2016 - the most vocal and enduring support for third party candidates in 20 years, both major parties putting up candidates that a significant portion of their bases openly dislike and turn off independents. All that, and the third parties got five percent of the vote. Since then, we've seen the paradigm shift and the lines redrawn in American politics, largely driven by opinion on the incumbent President. Very few people are neutral on him. If they want him gone, they will vote D. Trump is too polarizing for a third party to have success this time around.

9 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

If he runs on deficit reduction and has a decent platform, I'll vote for him if he's better than the Dem and it won't give Trump a layup.

Not sure why that is remotely problematic for any voter who is not tied to blindly supporting the Dems.

Remember that time when the Democratic candidate was thought to have a layup?

Edited by ndawg

14 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

If he runs on deficit reduction and has a decent platform, I'll vote for him if he's better than the Dem and it won't give Trump a layup.

Not sure why that is remotely problematic for any voter who is not tied to blindly supporting the Dems.

lol Trump is going to win again

14 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Because trump has to lose. Period. The third party vote is adorable, but don’t waste your vote. Not in 2020. 

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

lol Trump is going to win again

All the “Trump has to lose!” Ex Republicans will find one tiny thing they hate about the Democrat and either vote third party or stay home. Then blame the democrats again in 2020

• Like 6

All the “Trump has to lose!” Ex Republicans will find one tiny thing they hate about the Democrat and either vote third party or stay home. Then blame the democrats again in 2020

100% predictably this. And here’s the real reason why: they know that decent society requires that they disavow the naked xenophobia, asininity, and purposeful cruelty of Trump. But inside....they love those things.

26 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Because trump has to lose. Period. The third party vote is adorable, but don’t waste your vote. Not in 2020. 

I live in Texas. I'm not certain my vote for President is going to do a damn thing.  I'm almost certain that the choice will be to vote Dem to stop Trump.  But I frankly think its more likely that Trump won't be running than it would be for me to have to make a hard choice as to voting Dem or a better 3rd party candidate.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

100% predictably this. And here’s the real reason why: they know that decent society requires that they disavow the naked xenophobia, asininity, and purposeful cruelty of Trump. But inside....they love those things.

Aren't you a "Trump has to lose!" ex-Republican?

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I see why one would think Schulz could find votes, but as I think it through I am with the second tweet. I don't think Schulz is going to take some big chunk of voters either way. Partisan lines have hardened a lot since Perot. See 2016 - the most vocal and enduring support for third party candidates in 20 years, both major parties putting up candidates that a significant portion of their bases openly dislike and turn off independents. All that, and the third parties got five percent of the vote. Since then, we've seen the paradigm shift and the lines redrawn in American politics, largely driven by opinion on the incumbent President. Very few people are neutral on him. If they want him gone, they will vote D. Trump is too polarizing for a third party to have success this time around.

Schultz doesn’t have to take a huge chunk of votes to swing an election.

how many votes did Gore lose Florida by and how votes did Nader get?

How many votes did Trump win Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania by?

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Schultz doesn’t have to take a huge chunk of votes to swing an election.

how many votes did Gore lose Florida by and how votes did Nader get?

How many votes did Trump win Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania by?

I'm just trying to figure out why Democrats are worried about Schultz.  I feel like moderates who held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016 and regret it, but just aren't able to pull the lever for a Democrat, are the primary group from where his (not many) votes will come from.

Anyone who voted for Hillary in 2016 will do so again with a stronger candidate and even worse Trump.  New voters seem to be enthusiastically Democrat, but regardless nobody is registering to vote just for Howard Schultz.  

Unless people think the Bernie Bros will vote for him out of spite, even though his platform is pretty much the complete opposite of Bernie's?

He should be an absolute non-starter for Democrats because:

“But what the Democrats are proposing is something that is as false as the wall ― and that is free health care for all, which the country cannot afford.”

Okay, bye.  You clearly don't get it.

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

“I am seriously thinking of running for president,” Schultz, a self-described Democrat, said on CBS’s 

Okay, my bad.  I just assumed if you are on 60 Minutes to talk about it, you're running.

There's talking (Schultz; Bernie/Biden), there's exploring (Gillibrand/Warren) and there's I'm 100% in and running (Castro/Harris/Pete Buttgag)

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If Trump runs I'll vote for a D, regardless of who it is and I haven't voted for a Rep or Dem for POTUS since 2000.  

I'd love to feel good about my D vote but not holding my breath. 

31 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I feel like moderates who held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016 and regret it, but just aren't able to pull the lever for a Democrat, are the primary group from where his (not many) votes will come from.

I realize there is probably room for debate on this but anyone who voted for someone like Trump really needs to be viewed by the Dems as incorrigible and they shouldn't spend to much time on them.  I'm not saying they are incorrigible -- I'm just saying  they are more likely to be incorrigible than not, and Dems would be much better off by ignoring them and figuring out a platform and approach that will be appealing to 1) those folks who voted against Trump and 2) those folks who didn't vote.

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I realize there is probably room for debate on this but anyone who voted for someone like Trump really needs to be viewed by the Dems as incorrigible and they shouldn't spend to much time on them.  I'm not saying they are incorrigible -- I'm just saying  they are more likely to be incorrigible than not, and Dems would be much better off by ignoring them and figuring out a platform and approach that will be appealing to 1) those folks who voted against Trump and 2) those folks who didn't vote.

Yep.  And that's what Democrats did to win in 2018 - motivated the Hillary voters and got non-voters to show up/first-time voters to show up again.

Because let me tell you, and Brisket keeps saying it, those people who "held their noses and voted for Trump" have many of the same views, they're just not as vocal.  But they're loving this.  They agree with that idiot woman - "he's hurting the people he's supposed to hurt." 

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Okay, my bad.  I just assumed if you are on 60 Minutes to talk about it, you're running.

There's talking (Schultz; Bernie/Biden), there's exploring (Gillibrand/Warren) and there's I'm 100% in and running (Castro/Harris/Pete Buttgag)

Gillibrand is running.  She was on Pod Save America last week and laid out her platforms.  She talks A LOT.  I liked her ideas, but it seems some people will never forgive her for helping to force out Al Franken.

Aren't you a "Trump has to lose!" ex-Republican?

My ex-republicanism both predates Trump and is much broader than Trump (eg, issues with Dan Patrick, Ken Paxton, Sid Miller - frankly, modern know-nothing, fundagelical Republicanism, of which Trump is just a manifestation - perhaps the inevitable, nihilist manifestation).
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gillibrand is running.  She was on Pod Save America last week and laid out her platforms.  She talks A LOT.  I liked her ideas, but it seems some people will never forgive her for helping to force out Al Franken.

The Democratic establishment hates her for pushing Franken out.

The left won't like Gillibrand because she's a huge fan of Wall Street and loves the billionaire class.

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Huh, then they will LOVE Kamala Harris.

Because she relishes in how she went after the banks.   She loves to tell that story.

When she brought it up in her announcement speech it certainly created a stirring in my loins. I am ready for this beautiful cop to punish me.

• Like 2