2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

9 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Shot:
Williamson, who launched her campaign at an event in Los Angeles late Monday, called on voters to have a "meaningful conversation" about potential political solutions and described the current national discourse as "shallow."

Chaser:
campaign website, launched for Williamson when she announced her exploratory committee last year, does not yet list policy issues the author plans to support.

This is the Dem version of Ben Carson. Imagine how many rich, GOOP-loyal white people in LA or NYC juice bars are talking each other into running for president right now.

Moderator: "Ms. Williamson, the situation in Venezuela has gotten dire, with President Maduro refusing to leave office and Representative Guiado unable to build the military support he needs for a coup. The international community is in turmoil about how to properly deal with this crisis. How would you, as president, use America's leadership power to reach a positive outcome and what would that outcome be?"

Williamson: "We have to make sure that the people of Venezuela know that we love them. Also, President Maduro is clearly having a hard time letting go, so I would recommend a juice cleanse and at least 30mg of ginseng every morning."

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So Gwyneth is running, is what you're saying?

"Ms. Paltrow, you keep mentioning the courage you showed when New York City was under attack as evidence of your potential strength in the Oval Office..."

- "Oh yes, it was very hard to let Tony go and fight, but that's what it took to save the city and the world."

"Ms. Paltrow, you do realize that those were movies?"

- "What?"

• Haha 1

In addition to all the above, KH benefits from not alrealdy having a stupid Trump nickname.  Warren's adventure in that space has been and will prove an ongoing burden.

If Beto is smart he will chicken out of this one.

KH might just be what the dems need:  merciless.

"President Maduro does not spark joy with us right now.  Therefore we must thank him and let him go.  Next question."  

You need an adult like Julian Castro to start weeding through these amateurs soon.  The field is getting filled with children. 

Just now, NBMisha said:

In addition to all the above, KH benefits from not alrealdy having a stupid Trump nickname.  Warren's adventure in that space has been and will prove an ongoing burden.

If Beto is smart he will chicken out of this one.

KH might just be what the dems need:  merciless.

2pm on a Tuesday

*Trump - sitting on the shitter*

"Kamala...hmmm"

"Kamachameleon. I just came up with that. I am so smart."

"Kamalame Harris. HA! I'm so funny."

"Kamalame Hairweave. Nailed it."

33 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

She's absolutely who we need, but doesn't have the personality to get people energized. As someone mentioned on this board, we don't deserve her as our president :(

Among the announced candidates and outside of Bernie, I think she has the most hardcore base.  What that means is her people are with her until she’s no longer an option.  They’re not as likely to flip flop around with the candidates or be seduced by a shiny Beto.   

A solid base will be a huge advantage in an overcrowded field.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

2pm on a Tuesday

*Trump - sitting on the shitter*

"Kamala...hmmm"

"Kamachameleon. I just came up with that. I am so smart."

"Kamalame Harris. HA! I'm so funny."

"Kamalame Hairweave. Nailed it."

TexAgs has a kamala nickname thread, current front runner is Kamal toes

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Beto seems like a rock star to progressives when he’s running against a vulnerable Ted Cruz in a mid term and every left leaning political viewer wants nothing more than to win that race.  I have a feeling he’s going to be surprisingly weak running against other Democrats when the knives come out.

He is white privilege personified.  Ne’er do well who went to prep school and Columbia, was in a band but not when they were successful, legal troubles get curiously resolved, married into a super rich family, and now spends time doing some sort of adult Holden Caufield meets Jack Kerouac impersonation.  “I’m driving around rural Iowa for the next 5 weeks on a vision quest, watch me live blog how moved I am by the sunset and talk about why love conquers all. These small town folk I encounter are so charming and quaint!  No, I don’t have any responsibilities that keep me from traveling for 3 years consecutively, why do you ask?”

That shit ain’t gonna fly against Harris and some of the others.  He’s handsome and has a positive message, which will certainly win him some supporters.  But there’s no more to it.  Obama and Bill Clinton both had inspiring personal stories to go with the cool, young positive guy thing.  Beto’s story is ultimately going to be a liability.  Plus, I really don’t think the base wants Mr. Nice Guy Positive right now, anyway.  

If I had to guess now, I’d say Harris chews up the rest of the field and spits them out. 

I agree with a lot of this, which is why I argued that he should stay active in Texas politics. If he can't create a substantial platform for his candidacy, then he should not run in this field. I like Beto so I'll see what happens and hope he can bring a substantial message about the policies he backs.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I love that I have great coverage for a family of 4 for $80 a pay period and the last time my kid went to the dermatologist the copay was $10 and the medication was $10 (was previously $250 on a different employer plan). I think it's the contrast that makes me love the insurance, because before I was paying like $480 a month (deduction from pay check) for insurance that was more expensive with copay and rx. It's like this new insurance is giving me a pay raise.

M4A is going to be a cost much much more for your average Joe Sixpacks like me.

before this was edited, cookie said that this was cutting into his luxury car fund

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

6 one way, half a dozen the other.

The point is, for middle class folks, it will be much much more taxing instead of using employer insurance.

Do you have a clue how much of your plan is being paid for by your employer? It's likely over $1,000/mo. If that was coming out of your pocket every month, you might feel a bit differently about your health insurer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Yea, but that's part of the calculus for choosing which employer you choose to work for. You can't have everything, so you choose where you want to sacrifice. I sacrifice work/life balance and low stress for providing income and insurance to my young family. That's been my choice. I don't begrudge the man who wants to live with his kids in a travel trailer and go do cool things all the time and live like a gypsy and free-lance for a living, but you will have to pay $1k for insurance. I don't understand why people think having high quality insurance, at a cheap price (or free), is a universal right. Which I guess is the crux of the issue and why it's politically dividing.

Or they'll go without insurance and you'll end up with part of the bill.

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

It's going to be fun watching the media try to figure out which one of the 32,459 Democratic presidential candidates they are going to throw their weight behind and exactly how, when, and where they throw the other 32,458 under buses.

The purity tests and race to one up each other will be something to behold.

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Guy I know who was self employed took a shitty job he hates just for the good health insurance. 

Seems like we could do better. 

No shit. If we had universal healthcare, I could see the rate of self-employment, entrepreneurship & start-ups increase dramatically upon adoption. It's one of the reasons I'm currently working for the man. Alone, I might risk going without but right now I've got to keep my daughter covered.