2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Buttigieg isn’t going to get enough exposure and money to be a contender but I do think this run will give him enough street cred to be a legit contender for Senator or Governor down the road.

"Legit" contender in a getting redder by the cycle state = fodder.

56 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If he gets the exposure, the money will come.

True. Anything can happen and it’s still early but I think it’s realistic to say the odds are stacked against him.  

The thing about Buttigieg is no one knew who he was before entering the race.  That’s a tough hill to climb when your competition is Bernie, Biden, Beto, Warren, Gillibrand, and Harris.

They have all done a good job of putting themselves in the national spotlight before declaring a 2020 run.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

On 2/2/2019 at 6:30 PM, JimmyJames said:

Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania.

And Arizona.  

Plus, Florida is firmly in play, even before the shutdown fucked over tens of thousand of federal employees there (Coast Guard, NASA, DHS, etc. have a large presence).      The shutdown should move Florida firmly to the Dems.  And Trump is making clear he’ll go the shutdown route again, as much of a dumbass move as that was   

None of the states Hillary won are in danger of flipping to Trump.  It’s not about who can beat Trump because outside of probably Bernie, the others in the top four will have no problem winning.  It’s about who’s getting the nomination.  

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yes, real political courage there from Tulsi saying the most politically correct thing to say.

No, it's really not.  For instance, look at this weak bullshit from AOC when asked to stake a position.  Tulsi's wont of speaking against empire is what gets her smeared by the press.

Anyone else catch Joe Lieberman mealy-mouthing his “Democrats need to be more centrist to have a broader appeal and both sides are to blame for the state of politics today” message?

Made me want to throw my mascara at the TV while I was getting ready. But I didn’t because that shit is expensive and he’s not worth it.

Can someone lock him in a closet until November 6, 2020?

Spoke to a family member this weekend who voted for the dotard, but has since expressed his remorse.  He is very smart and works hard so he doesn't really have the time to be super invested in day to day politics.  However, we started talking about Dem nominees and he completely backtracked and said he couldn't vote for several of the people that have announced so far because they were too far left.  

This drove home the point for me that there are tons of Rs who say they hate dotus, but when faced with actually voting for a D at the ballot box, they will pull that lever for dotus again.  It's fucking infuriating.  Biden might be the only one who can get them to flip.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Anyone else catch Joe Lieberman mealy-mouthing his “Democrats need to be more centrist to have a broader appeal and both sides are to blame for the state of politics today” message?

Made me want to throw my mascara at the TV while I was getting ready. But I didn’t because that shit is expensive and he’s not worth it.

It's bad for the world that he's still alive.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Spoke to a family member this weekend who voted for the dotard, but has since expressed his remorse.  He is very smart and works hard so he doesn't really have the time to be super invested in day to day politics.  However, we started talking about Dem nominees and he completely backtracked and said he couldn't vote for several of the people that have announced so far because they were too far left.  

This drove home the point for me that there are tons of Rs who say they hate dotus, but when faced with actually voting for a D at the ballot box, they will pull that lever for dotus again.  It's fucking infuriating.  Biden might be the only one who can get them to flip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

C'mon, Fozz.

Gabbard is making a rehearsed and public statement while AOC is being approached with the question out of nowhere. 

I'm a Fozz fan, but that's... I don't understand what the problem is with AOC saying they're working on something when she's obviously busy. If it's a pattern of avoidance then that's a problem, but come on.

sea-lioning.jpg

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Might not be popular among the hard core base, but Joe's not wrong. To win a national election, his response is pragmatic. In order to get policies enacted, you have to win elections. Joe knows the rules.

LOL it's always the Democrats who have to "tack to the center to get elected" or "show their math to explain how their policies would be paid for."

The Republicans don't have to do JACK SHIT apparently.

Tack far right and spout fake news/stats? Chuck Todd just nods along.
"Tax cuts will pay for themselves." Media just nods and moves on.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Might not be popular among the hard core base, but Joe's not wrong. To win a national election, his response is pragmatic. In order to get policies enacted, you have to win elections. Joe knows the rules.

Joe Liberman, king of winning elections LOL

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump kinda proved playing to the middle doesn't work. 

You think Hillary played the middle? 

"We're going to put a lot of coal companies and coal miners out of business"

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the 'basket of deplorables'. Right?” 

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You think Hillary played the middle? 

"We're going to put a lot of coal companies and coal miners out of business"

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the 'basket of deplorables'. Right?” 

Coal is stupid. 

And she was wrong - it's way more than half. 

20 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not saying I disagree with her sentiment, but that's not how you win elections in the US.

No apparently it's building a 50 foot high wall, Muslim ban, Mexicans are criminals and rapists.

Playing to the center, you see.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No evidence to support this but plenty of evidence to indicate liberal policy ideas are very popular 

The wall, Muslim ban = sub-40% support

Universal healthcare, free college, taxing the rich = 60+% support

LiBeRaLs MuSt MoDeRaTe

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bernie Sanders would have lost to Trump.

Maybe but it’s impossible to make that determination because you can’t calculate the Russian interference in a Bernie vs Trump race.

No Wikileaks and no Comey influence in Bernie vs Trump race.

Russia may have even flipped to Bernie because he’s more predictable than Trump.  They could have released the pee tape or whatever kompromat they have on Trump.

Who am I kidding, they still would have supported Trump.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm torn on how I want the Ds to run.  My head says lean center to try and get some of the Rs, like the family member I mentioned earlier, but then I worry that they are too far gone already and fuck em, so let's go forward with the progressive ideas and leave them behind.  

Honestly those people are going to claim any Democratic candidate are going to be too liberal because the party is thankfully getting pulled to the left. If he is still on the fence at this point, he's too far gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

Honestly those people are going to claim any Democratic candidate are going to be too liberal because the party is thankfully getting pulled to the left. If he is still on the fence at this point, he's too far gone.

Yup!  Why should we pick a candidate to cater to unhappy Republicans? They have 4% Howard Schultz!