2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I caught Tulsi Gabbard on Morning Joe today. I had no opinion about her. She kind of seemed like an idiot. She dodged every question about whether Assad is our friend or not, or whether he used chemical weapons on his own people. She didn't handle the interview well at all. And she had the vocal fry thing going on. 

I've met her over a half dozen times personally mostly at charity golf tournaments and at military functions/ base courses and lots of people from Hawaii can share stories about her.  She is VERY ambitious and even over ten years ago many assumed she would win U.S. House or Senate, then run for President to try and get a VP slot and then move up from there.  Her father Mike is a state Senator who famously had a non-profit that was pretty much anti-gay along with the push for a traditional marriage constitutional amendment but he's more recently been very influential in banning certain chemicals/pesticides in environmental legislation including a very big law on specific things in sunscreens (a big deal in Hawaii).  A Democrat with military experience is a very strong candidate for Hawaii which is very liberal with certain governmental policies but also has blends of social conservatism, religious support and military support much more than say a typical liberal bastion in Massachusetts.    

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm announcing that I'm making an announcement!

I am your campaign manager. Show up in 15 minutes for your first press release. Slather yourself in cold cream, it'll make the shoe polish we cover you with come off easier.

RELAX EVERYBODY-- it's neutral tone show polish, we're just going with a "Support the Troops" highly-shined look.

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

I am your campaign manager. Show up in 15 minutes for your first press release. Slather yourself in cold cream, it'll make the shoe polish we cover you with come off easier.

RELAX EVERYBODY-- it's neutral tone show polish, we're just going with a "Support the Troops" highly-shined look.

I'm gonna practice my moonwalk, ok?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Probably another great piece of bipartisan legislation for TAX CREDITS with that supreme piece of shit Ben Sasse. I don't know much about her, but this wasn't a great look given that people who need this the most can't accrue savings to use such a thing, good lord.

Castro had a great State of the Union rebuttal/critique this morning for those of you on his mailing list.  Or some of you call it, "Stuff to jerk off to until Rob O'Rourke takes his shirt off again."  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Someone on here actually thinks Tulsi is a good candidate?  She's going to get destroyed in the debates (if she makes it that far) which will be thoroughly entertaining.

Why do you think she would be destroyed in the debates?

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Has Tulsi come out and said she wholeheartedly rejects the support of Russia and David Duke?

Or is she pulling a Trump and pretending those things aren’t happening? 

She was definitely doing that with Russia.  She sounded downright trumpian in her denials that anything was going on with Russia.

I was like others on here who had never seen her talk before, and so I really had no impression.  I thought she came off really poorly--to the point that I told Mrs.LL that, in the exceedingly unlikely event that Gabbard won he nomination, I'd probably vote for Trump.  At least then I'd get my damned tax cut.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I thought she came off really poorly--to the point that I told Mrs.LL that, in the exceedingly unlikely event that Gabbard won he nomination, I'd probably vote for Trump.  At least then I'd get my damned tax cut.

She came across more poorly than Trump? lol ok

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not a coincidence. Tulsi is the most anti-imperialist of all the Dem nominees so far and those people are also anti-imperialists. She wants to reduce America's military reach into the world and those people also want to reduce America's military reach into the world. This isn't hard to follow and it doesn't require a nefarious, shadowy conspiracy.

All good points, but it’d throw in that she’s a bottom feeder right now, and it’s useful for those running the bot farms to boost somebody like her up, because she’s also easy to take down.  She’s not the only mid-tier or lower-tier candidate they are probably propping up for now.   The more like her they can prop up, the more resources the candidates above her have to waste on dealing with her.    They want a heavily divided field right now.  

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

All good points, but it’d throw in that she’s a bottom feeder right now, and it’s useful for those running the bot farms to boost somebody like her up, because she’s also easy to take down.  She’s not the only mid-tier or lower-tier candidate they are probably propping up for now.   The more like her they can prop up, the more resources the candidates above her have to waste on dealing with her.    They want a heavily divided field right now.  

Isn't it good to have a heavily divided field so "THEY" don't concentrate fire on the one anointed candidate?

42 minutes ago, elguapo said:

If Tulsi can't give a straight answer on Morning Joe to a simple question like is Assad an adversary, then good luck going up against Harris/Klobuchar/Warren/Castro in a debate format.

It's a bullshit question.  It would be one thing if Assad attacked us or armed groups to overthrow our government, like we did to Syria, but nothing like that has occurred.  We also clearly have interests in common with Assad concerning terrorism and stabilizing the region.  If we really are interested in the stabilization of Syria then Assad is someone who will have to play a key role in that effort.  

In light of the above, why should Assad be labeled as an adversary?  Because of how his regime treats its own people?  Then why aren't the governments of Egypt and Saudi Arabia also our adversaries?  Is it because, as an ally of Russia, he's not dependent on us, and thus we cannot control him (or sell him weapons) and the government of Syria?  Those might be valid reasons for The Blob and some special interest groups but they don't mean much for ordinary Americans.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The horse race.

Biden and Bernie at the top mostly due to familiarity but that Bernie number is much stronger than I expected.

The 9% for Bloomberg surprises me, expected it to be lower. 

Booker, gilibrand, Bloomberg and brown have no shot. 

Right now I’d put Biden as a slight favorite over Harris, with Bernie, Beto and Warren tied for third with all three individually unlikely but an ok field bet. 

12 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It's a bullshit question.  It would be one thing if Assad attacked us or armed groups to overthrow our government, like we did to Syria, but nothing like that has occurred.  We also clearly have interests in common with Assad concerning terrorism and stabilizing the region.  If we really are interested in the stabilization of Syria then Assad is someone who will have to play a key role in that effort.  

In light of the above, why should Assad be labeled as an adversary?  Because of how his regime treats its own people?  Then why aren't the governments of Egypt and Saudi Arabia also our adversaries?  Is it because, as an ally of Russia, he's not dependent on us, and thus we cannot control him (or sell him weapons) and the government of Syria?  Those might be valid reasons for The Blob and some special interest groups but they don't mean much for ordinary Americans.  

Maybe she should have brought up those points as a rebuttal instead of completely dodging the question. 

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Man, Fozzz loves him some Gabbard.  Weird.

It's not Gabbard that he clings to, but the vague hope that we might actually start thinking about the endless horror we visit on every part of the world in pursuit of our empire. Gabbard seems to be the only person who even acknowledges this.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to pull back to 30,000 feet and look at things and try to put them into context of the potential bot farm operations and where they focus.  We already have some major factors at play:

1. Trump is not going to flip any states Hillary won
  2. A few months ago, the Dems flipped WI, AZ, PA, and MI.  Trump has to win back 2-3 of those, but his shutdown and the GOP tax changes hurt all of those states, and the Foxconn deal is pissing off many in Wisconsin, now that they are getting details.  
  3. Georgia and North Carolina are firmly in play thanks to GOP shenanigans and changing demographics, and each has a Republican Senate seat up in 2020.   This is why Abrams’ gave the Dem rebuttal last night.  
  4. Maine and Colorado went for Hillary, and each have a Republican Senate seat up in 2020.  
  5. Florida is firmly in play, and incredibly close, even before Trump’s shutdown hit them particularly hard. 
  6. Michigan has a Republican Senate seat up in 2020. It and its EV are critical.  
  7. Arizona has a Republican Senate seat up (special election, and McSally already lost to a bisexual atheist Democrat). 

So so where are they going to focus, or not focus their operations?  I think the Senate elections are every bit as important to them as Presidential - if they lose those Senate seats, they’ve probably lost those states and their EVs, and those would flip the Senate anyways   

Harris seems a likely candidate for them to push hard - female, Californian, mixed heritage.  She could drive a lot of Trump’s base to get out and vote.

note: I don’t see the math for Trump winning next year.  He put too many states into play, and his personally campaigning did jack shit for WI, MI, AZ, and PA last year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

The Assad regime:

1) Is a close ally of our foremost enemy that has actually attacked the United States (i.e., Russia).  It's not just that "we cannot control him (or sell him weapons);" it's that the Assad regime gives Russia a base of operations in a strategic region and provides Russia with a port in the Mediterranean from which the Russian Navy can challenge American forces and American allies.

2) Is a close ally of our foremost adversary in the region (i.e., Iran) and has worked with Iran closely to attack American allies and destabilize the region.  I can have no stomach for invading Iran, and still recognize that Iran is a malign force in the Middle East.  And so its very close ally is likewise a malign force.

3) Is an avowed enemy of two of our closest allies in the region (i.e., Israel and Turkey).  And as many problems as I may have with the Israeli and Turkish governments at the moment, they remain important regional allies, one of which being bound to us by a mutual-defense treaty.  

4) And yeah--used poison gas on its own people.  And if you don't think that's a big deal, then you should go back and review some of the histories of World War I.  There's a reason that has been taboo for a century.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

1. A few months ago, the Dems flipped WI, AZ, PA, and MI.  Trump has to win back 2-3 of those, but his shutdown and the GOP tax changes hurt all of those states, and the Foxconn deal is pissing off many in Wisconsin, now that they are getting details.  

Most knew exactly what the Foxconn deal was from the beginning and are seeing it play out how they knew it would. That deal is going to be a huge problem for Trump, but he's got a lot of maga reds out in the sticks in Wisconsin...