2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Going to be hilarious when Warren endorses Biden and like 50 people here scream, "SEE I TOLD YOU SO, B_T, YOU BERNIE BROS ARE SO STUPID FOR THINKING WARREN WOULD ENDORSE BERNIE!" after we've been saying for days that this is exactly what she would do.

Is Bernie your preferred candidate? I feel like he might be, but you're so guarded it's hard to tell. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That's not why we think you're stupid.

It is because I have better politics than you and stand for and believe in things and fight for them?

I mean, I wouldn't disagree. Being a pointless misanthrope is definintely an easy way to avoid being wrong.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍 amirite?

#Unity

Warren doesn't owe Bernie anything.

My wife (white attorney) early voted for Warren last Saturday. I'm a lazy white dude, so I waited until Tuesday to vote (discussions about voting in 15 minutes in my white upper-middle suburb versus 7 hours at Texas Southern to be held later). Warren was my ideal choice, but by Tuesday it was clear she was nonviable. I picked Biden.

I still believe 2016 was an ugly, unfortunate outlier. It shouldn't be normalized. Political decisions should still be made through coalition building and honest, ethical compromise. The talking (screaming) heads have, I believe, about run their course.

There's a ton of Joe Biden that's not to my liking. However, the perfect cannot be the enemy of the very good. Joe earned the respect of a wide field of voter demographics over the course of his career. I trust him with the Presidency.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Going to be hilarious when Warren endorses Biden and like 50 people here scream, "SEE I TOLD YOU SO, B_T, YOU BERNIE BROS ARE SO STUPID FOR THINKING WARREN WOULD ENDORSE BERNIE!" after we've been saying for days that this is exactly what she would do.

I fear you're right, but I hope this isn't widespread. Some people just like to crow. Typically, they lack personal accomplishment.

Bernie's ideals will still be there in next year's legislative session. They were never going to be enacted solely by a President. If Bernie's supporters believe in his ideals and not just his cult of personality, then a Democrat led Congress can push the necessary legislation to a Democrat President.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It is because I have better politics than you and stand for and believe in things and fight for them?

I mean, I wouldn't disagree. Being a pointless misanthrope is definintely an easy way to avoid being wrong.

"Better politics" doesn't mean shit if you can't get anything done.  Shit, maybe you have "better taste in women" than I do, too, but if you keep holding out for Emily Ratajkowski and die a virgin (dead, but with "excellent taste in women" till your dying day), and I have a damned satisfying sex life with some 7s, I'm pretty sure I win.

My politics include a big component of "actually getting shit done."  I work in an adverse, competitive arena literally every day.  I don't always get everything I want.  But I damned well get shit done.  While you sit in your basement and mock the rest of us, because you're going to live happily ever after with Ratajkowski any day now, it's gonna happen, and MAN, are the rest of us gonna feel foolish when it does!

I'm good with how I operate.  It's how humans have accomplished some serious shit for millenia.

Oh, and my misanthropy is not pointless -- it's well-earned and directed.  It's also right at an extremely high hit-rate.

• Like 3

Just now, GoldAppleCorps said:

Bernie's ideals will still be there in next year's legislative session. They were never going to be enacted solely by a President. If Bernie's supporters believe in his ideals and not just his cult of personality, then a Democrat led Congress can push the necessary legislation to a Democrat President.

Yes.

There's a reason Bernie's campaign slogan has been "Not Me, Us" forever. There's a reason he started Our Revolution after his 2016 loss. The entire point of this thing is to push justice initiatives and that won't stop.

Hillary disappeared into the wood and came back self-promoting and whining after her loss. Bernie kept fighting.

If Bernie loses here, he will keep fighting for the causes literally until he dies. He will be campaigning for candidates nationwide. He will push and kick and scream and howl for justice until his heart fails.

Why this inspires bitterness in so many I will never understand, but I suppose it fires up some kind of guilt.

We’ll see how passionate Bernie supporters are if they work hard in the convention to make his policies part of the national platform under a Biden nomination, or if they just give up and cry on Twitter 

giphy.gif

I hope they show up to the game to fucking play.

We’ll see how passionate Bernie supporters are if they work hard in the convention to make his policies part of the national platform under a Biden nomination, or if they just give up and cry on Twitter 

#Unity

Just now, Brisketexan said:

"Better politics" doesn't mean shit if you can't get anything done. 

Joe Biden's 2020 policy platform only exists as it does because of Bernie Sanders.

The entire 2020 field was pushed left by Bernie Sanders.

He is more important to the Democratic Party than basically anyone.

My politics include a big component of "actually getting shit done."

Point me to Biden's track record of "actually getting shit done", please.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes.

There's a reason Bernie's campaign slogan has been "Not Me, Us" forever. There's a reason he started Our Revolution after his 2016 loss. The entire point of this thing is to push justice initiatives and that won't stop.

Hillary disappeared into the wood and came back self-promoting and whining after her loss. Bernie kept fighting.

If Bernie loses here, he will keep fighting for the causes literally until he dies. He will be campaigning for candidates nationwide. He will push and kick and scream and howl for justice until his heart fails.

Why this inspires bitterness in so many I will never understand, but I suppose it fires up some kind of guilt.

We believe that Bernie will keep pushing.

The question is whether his supporters will.

We believe that Bernie will keep pushing.

The question is whether his supporters will.

It's not really a question if you're not a liar or just trying to start fights on the Internet.

Bernie has basically the uniform support of every progressive activist group you could name and the vast majority of unions. When people are out on the street marching for justice, it's primarily Bernie supporters.

You already know this. You're just trying to start fights on the Internet because that's your one dance move.

Joe Biden's 2020 policy platform only exists as it does because of Bernie Sanders.

The entire 2020 field was pushed left by Bernie Sanders.

He is more important to the Democratic Party than basically anyone.

Jesus fucking Christ the ego on you people.  Yeah, can't see how that's a turnoff at all.

Oh, and Joe has DEFINITELY gotten shit done -- by the way, some of it, I fucking hated (bankruptcy reform is a great example).  But come on, dumbass.  He spent decades in the senate, and his sponsored or significantly supported legislation is a matter of public record.  You're just flailing now.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Bernie has basically the uniform support of every progressive activist group you could name and the vast majority of unions. When people are out on the street marching for justice, it's primarily Bernie supporters.

I don't give a fuck if they march.  I give a fuck if they wiggle their way into the halls of power to get shit done. One person on the inside, cleverly making shit happen, does more than a million waving signs outside.  Sorry that reality is such a buzzkill, but it's still reality.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and Joe has DEFINITELY gotten shit done -- by the way, some of it, I fucking hated (bankruptcy reform is a great example).  But come on, dumbass.  He spent decades in the senate, and his sponsored or significantly supported legislation is a matter of public record.  You're just flailing now.

Make your list.

If your examples are primarily garbage Republican-friendly bills that hurt people, you're making my point for me.

Make the list of Joe's big accomplishments.

- Pro DOMA vote

- Racist crime bill

- Pro NAFTA vote

- Pro Iraq War vote

- A myriad of anti-consumer/pro-finance bills and votes

Make the fucking list.

I don't give a fuck if they march.  I give a fuck if they wiggle their way into the halls of power to get shit done. One person on the inside, cleverly making shit happen, does more than a million waving signs outside.  Sorry that reality is such a buzzkill, but it's still reality.

Just another conservative.

#sad

Edited by bad_teammate

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Better politics" doesn't mean shit if you can't get anything done.  Shit, maybe you have "better taste in women" than I do, too, but if you keep holding out for Emily Ratajkowski and die a virgin (dead, but with "excellent taste in women" till your dying day), and I have a damned satisfying sex life with some 7s, I'm pretty sure I win.

This might be the best analogy you've ever written. I will need to steal this 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Unlike in 2016, he doesn't have Caucuses to prop his campaign up as he grinds losses across the south until he can find more demographically favorable places to compete later in the campaign.

I think this is a really astute point that nobody is really talking about.  In 2016, Minnesota had a caucus that Bernie won.  If Minnesota has a caucus this year, does Bernie win it again?  He's definitely a candidate that does well in caucuses owing to the relative enthusiasm of his supporters, and so it wouldn't surprise me if he would've won a Minnesota caucus again.

• Like 1

For those of you who aren't bitter, misanthropic conservatives who hate anyone who believes in things, real-world activism is extremely important and is often the only way the voices of the vulnerable are heard. It is through direct action and protest and demonstration and advocacy that the LGBT community or disabled communities or minority religious communities or any other type is heard or any other population that doesn't have the numbers to put people into offices of power.

People power matters, it's not just about the power at the top.

19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is my entire point. You can't be excited about the choice you've made so now you're just punching left for no reason other than to deal with your own disappointment about the failure of your own preferred candidates. You refuse to autopsy yourself or your favored candidate, so you're just eating turds out of the same toilet you have been for a year+.

But nothing has fundamentally changed. The collective beliefs of the Pete/Liz supporters have turned out to be far more unrealistic and unwinnable as the Bernie Bros they're pretending to be superior to now. And the only refuge you can find is just dogpiling on behalf of a candidate you don't like.

#Unity, am I right!?

Biden is a dinosaur and a stop gap President. I hate it. 

But I do like the coalition building and high turnout numbers from Super Tuesday states, and that turnout went to Biden.

I also like that Bullock announced his run for Senate in Montana, and I think that decision was made in part because Joe is looking like he might be the nominee.

The best case scenario IMO for 2020 elections is a victory over Donald Trump, gain more House seats, and having a chance to take back the Senate.  This particular election is not about one man or woman candidate and their personal goals for the next 4 years in office. To me the most important thing is removing Republicans from power. And unfortunately Joe at the top of the ticket is our best chance.

• Like 2

And there you have it.  THAT'S why we think you're fucking stupid.  Because you equate "get inside and make shit happen" with being a conservative (and using that as a pejorative).

FDR, Nellie Taylor Ross, LBJ, Shirley Chisholm -- famous conservatives, folks!  At least according to b_t's metric.

God, you can't help but make yourself look worse with each successive post.

• Like 2

And there you have it.  THAT'S why we think you're fucking stupid.  Because you equate "get inside and make shit happen" with being a conservative (and using that as a pejorative).

FDR, Nellie Taylor Ross, LBJ, Shirley Chisholm -- famous conservatives, folks!  At least according to b_t's metric.

God, you can't help but make yourself look worse with each successive post.

Make your list, Brisket.

You are arguing that Biden GETS SHIT DONE and Bernie (and his stupid worthless followers) can't do anything and are failures.

Make the list.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

For those of you who aren't bitter, misanthropic conservatives who hate anyone who believes in things, real-world activism is extremely important and is often the only way the voices of the vulnerable are heard. It is through direct action and protest and demonstration and advocacy that the LGBT community or disabled communities or minority religious communities or any other type is heard or any other population that doesn't have the numbers to put people into offices of power.

People power matters, it's not just about the power at the top.

Great.  I love protests and direct action.  But a crucial piece of the puzzle (and, dirty secret here -- the deal-closing piece of the puzzle) is in the halls of power.  If you want to have the maximum effect, get in them.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think this is a really astute point that nobody is really talking about.  In 2016, Minnesota had a caucus that Bernie won.  If Minnesota has a caucus this year, does Bernie win it again?  He's definitely a candidate that does well in caucuses owing to the relative enthusiasm of his supporters, and so it wouldn't surprise me if he would've won a Minnesota caucus again.

One of the things Bernie gave up to move the Superdelegates to the second round of voting was the broad elimination of Caucuses.  There's a few small one's hanging around, but by and large most were eliminated for primaries.

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not really a question if you're not a liar or just trying to start fights on the Internet.

You already know this. You're just trying to start fights on the Internet because that's your one dance move.

You need to step away for a few days and get your head back on straight. All this stuff is making you (more) crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Great.  I love protests and direct action.  But a crucial piece of the puzzle (and, dirty secret here -- the deal-closing piece of the puzzle) is in the halls of power.  If you want to have the maximum effect, get in them.

Amateurs talk protest rallies.  Professionals talk redistricting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m pissed off that we don’t have a woman candidate for President. Warren, Klobuchar and even Harris were better candidates than Biden or Sanders.

I know it's a weird year with very different considerations, so I'm trying not to take things too much to heart, but I'm currently convinced that the first female president will be a republican (in a few decades). And she will be a monster.

1 minute ago, bonnieblue said:

I know it's a weird year with very different considerations, so I'm trying not to take things too much to heart, but I'm currently convinced that the first female president will be a republican (in a few decades). And she will be a monster.

Nah. In 10 years the only woman left in the Republican Party will be Mike Pence’s wife. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

White House Sarah Sanders GIF

IT'S A JOKE PEOPLE DON'T NEG ME!!!!

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Amateurs talk protest rallies.  Professionals talk redistricting.

Bingo.  I like rage as much as the next guy -- yelling and flailing make me feel better.

But once I've cooled down, and decided that I really, really want to fuck you, I follow a deliberate, strategic path -- the old bull recommendation of "no, son, let's WALK down there and screw ALL of em."

Winning this fight requires action on multiple fronts, much of it not glamorous or attention-grabbing at all.  For example, bang-for-our buck in trying to recapture state houses before the next round of redistricting.  Strategic use of litigation.  Pushing for a president who will nominate judges who will be more amenable to ruling in favor of the rule of law (which is the position that we'll be advancing).

Yelling and ranting feels good.

Playing boring old chess gets shit done.

• Like 2

I went from Klobuchar from her entry to voting for Warren on Super Tuesday.  Now I don't give a shit about the election until I dutifully go to the polls November 3rd like a robot to vote for the one of these two unimpressive old white men left standing in the primary.

Wife follows all this stuff much less than I and just wants meaningful gun control and sensible long term climate plan.  Not so interested about the economy, foreign policy, immigration, or healthcare.  She was with the Mayor but was trending to Warren for the last couple months and ultimately voted for Warren too.

She's more crestfallen than I that these are the two left standing and feels much the same about the general as I do.  We will do our duty to vote the buffoon out, but that's about it.  We both are minorities with degrees.

Edited by Old Freak Nasty
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why are you saying this like anyone is disagreeing? Yeah, Brisket, we all know we need legislators and legislation. We get it. We all watched Schoolhouse Rock.

That's why Bernie started Our Revolution in 2016, to get progressives into office. That's why the Justice Democrats exist. That's why so many other organizations are not only protesting and rallying but putting elected officials into office.

Still waiting on that list of impressive legislative accomplishments from Joe Biden that comes from his decades of selling out vulnerable populations. I have a feeling I'm going to wait forever.

All you are aiming to do is fight with people online. And you're successful at starting fights, but with all due respect, you actually don't know what the hell you're talking about.

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Make your list.

If your examples are primarily garbage Republican-friendly bills that hurt people, you're making my point for me.

Make the list of Joe's big accomplishments.

- Pro DOMA vote

- Racist crime bill

- Pro NAFTA vote

- Pro Iraq War vote

- A myriad of anti-consumer/pro-finance bills and votes

Make the fucking list.

#sad

"but i don't understand why people think bernie sanders supporters are toxic!"

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Accent that makes you want to smother her or accent that makes you want to shoot drive a stake into your ear?  And/or pics (of Scandinavian beauty).

<= Pic

she moved to Texas with her family in 7th grade so no accent. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m pissed off that we don’t have a woman candidate for President. Warren, Klobuchar and even Harris were better candidates than Biden or Sanders.

When this is all over in November, the Democratic Party needs to do an objective, full post-mortem on why Elizabeth Warren couldn't get more traction. She seemingly checked all the boxes. Name recognition, track record, debate performances, policies and platforms, and was arguably personable.

I'm not saying she should have won. Votes are still subjective. However, I want to see if there was a better reason than "we really don't want a female to run for President". If that really is the underlying cause, I'm not looking for condemnation so much as I am recommendations to try and help correct that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I could not agree more.  We had two women with great resumes with bulldog mentalities, each filling a different ideological lane.  One of them absolutely should have been the nominee.  It sure feels like a setback.

Harris will learn from this campaign.  She tried too hard to be everything to everyone and I think the electorate noticed.  If she doesn't make clear what she stands for, she's toast nationally.  But maybe she'll learn.  I also liked Gillibrand and not sure why she didn't take off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

When this is all over in November, the Democratic Party needs to do an objective, full post-mortem on why Elizabeth Warren couldn't get more traction. She seemingly checked all the boxes. Name recognition, track record, debate performances, policies and platforms, and was arguably personable.

I'm not saying she should have won. Votes are still subjective. However, I want to see if there was a better reason than "we really don't want a female to run for President". If that really is the underlying cause, I'm not looking for condemnation so much as I am recommendations to try and help correct that.

My theory is pretty simple and sad.  I think Donald Trump and the Pocahontas moniker was a factor to a lot of voters when looked at in terms of elect-ability (the whole concept of which is actually total bullshit, but whatever) .  Her Medicare for All messaging was a fumble too but in post-mortem I think the orange shithead's branding of her had an affect.  I think she would have annihilated Trump in the election but Democrats are scared of Trump and it impacted our voting in the primaries.  It's resulted in Biden.

8 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

She would have made the best president but being the best president means you have to win the election. Some people were afraid she wouldn’t beat trump and rightly or wrongly feared a 2016 repeat. And they were probably right because some men are sexist.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Still waiting on that list of impressive legislative accomplishments from Joe Biden that comes from his decades of selling out vulnerable populations. I have a feeling I'm going to wait forever.

Maybe the monkeys you hang around with dance when you crank your shitty organ, but I don't.

Google is your friend.  The list of Biden's accomplishments, both legislative and otherwise, is out there for the world to see.  Some I think are solid (Violence Against Women Act, his work on the Brady Bill, etc.).  Some I think are shit - again, I have a particular loathing for the Bankruptcy Reform Act.  But I'm not going to do what Google already does for you.  You have no interest in actually seeing any such list.

You just have an interest in having another tantrum and lashing out.  It's okay.  That's an EXCELLENT approach to governing, and it's sure to take you far.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

She would have made the best president but being the best president means you have to win the election. Some people were afraid she wouldn’t beat trump and rightly or wrongly feared a 2016 repeat. And they were probably right because some men are sexist.

And, unfortunately, so are many women.

• Like 1