2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

36 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Thanks for answers, I'll continue to flail for your amusement.

Trey Gowdy on Biden's speaking:

"He looks like a chain smoker filling a gas tank"

Trey Gowdy looks like a chain smoker filling up a gas tank?  I disagree.  He looks like a penis grew hair on its tip and then got a bad hair cut.  

Just now, Dbeasy said:

And Klobs, a very high quality choice, was derided by the left. The far left is screwing up the Democrats just like the Tea Party was screwing up the moderate Republicans, until all the Republicans went full stupid.

To be fair and I should have included in that post, a lot of criticism was moderate on moderate warfare. 

But other options were available. In the end it looks like no one wanted to risk it with a less established candidate.

That ZH article is such inaccurate and irresponsible trash. For one, 2% mortality would be huge. For two, it disregards the survivors often require multi week hospital stays. For three, it disregards that people pass it on without showing symptoms and stopping spread requires a multi week quarantine. Those factors make it potentially very disruptive even to those who don’t catch it.

Then all the misleading or false stuff. Oh hey 40 years ago Dean Koontz wrote a novel about a bio weapon that developed in China. Must be fake!!!! Of course even our cherry picked page shows that the fiction was completely different as the Koontz weapon couldn’t live outside of a person for a minute and part of what makes COVID dangerous is it can survive on surfaces for a long time. Also the page that says 2020 doesn’t read like a novel and isn’t same font as the Koontz book so that looks like some other crap that they are trying to tie into the “coincidence.”

And it’s false that the media is treating it like the plague. I really want to throatpunch this person.

8 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Only for you, hoss.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/six-reasons-why-covid-19-fails-sniff-test

There's a good amount of paranoia, but lots of excellent, thoughtful arguments, and some really interesting facts, that you will dismiss entirely in your quest to build a moat your delicate sensibilities.

The story also featured a scientist named Li Chen which is an amazing coincidence considering a guy by the name of Li Wenliang was the actual COVID-19 whistleblower in Wuhan who, by the way, was a 33-year-old ophthalmologist. Yes. An eye doctor.

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA

Do you want to take a guess how many people have the surname Li in China?

93 MILLION PEOPLE, over 7% of their population. What an amazing coincidence!!!

Can you imagine if that happened in the United States?!?!? Why it would be like if the scientist in the story had the last name Smith, and then the guy in real life also had the last name Smith or Johnson or Williams or Brown or Jones or Miller or Davis or Garcia or Rodriguez or Wilson or Martinez or Anderson or Taylor or Thomas or Hernandez or Moore or Martin or Jackson or Thompson or White or Lopez or Lee or Gonzalez or harris or Clark or Lewis or Robinson or Walker. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE CONSPIRACY?!?!?!?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

If black voter turnout returns to 2008 and 2012 levels, Trump loses. It's that simple.

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And Klobs, a very high quality choice, was derided by the left. The far left is screwing up the Democrats just like the Tea Party was screwing up the moderate Republicans, until all the Republicans went full stupid.

Just another reason why our two-party system is a joke. A Bernie supporter shares almost zero ideological positions as a Biden supporter. But sure, lets put them in the same party and hope they can agree on stuff.

• Like 1

Serious question:

Why is Warren still in the race at 3p in the afternoon after having her brains blown onto the wall behind where she was standing? The longer she stays in the race she should be outed as being ego-driven and vain and delusional and irrational and harmful to Bernie. Unless the last part is her intent, in which case, that's cold blooded. #hisssszzzzz

Edited by Rougarou

43 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

BTW anyone who believes Zavala or workswithseed voted anything but Trump in 2016 should be shot into the sun for being a gullible idiot.

I couldn't claim I was even a Gary Johnson voter and haven't since I didn't vote.

Next thing you'll tell me is I'm also a Russian bot who like beans in my chili.

What else do you know about me?

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's hard to let dreams die.

She essentially got last place in her home state since we all agree Bloomberg and Tulsi don't count as human beings.

So somebody please answer the question; why is she still in the race at 3:30 the day after being destroyed and embarrassed and what purpose does it serve, and more importantly, how is it a defensible position?

Edited by Rougarou

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Biden is projected to have a 63-delegate lead with 2900 left up for grabs

This is not over.

But it is for Liz. So again I ask, someone smarter than me and more intune with politics, how is her still being in the race defensible strategically, practically, or otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Serious question:

Why is Warren still in the race at 3p in the afternoon after having her brains blown onto the wall behind where she was standing? The longer she stays in the race she should be outed as being ego-driven and vain and delusional and irrational and harmful to Bernie. Unless the last part is her intent, in which case, that's cold blooded. #hisssszzzzz

I would assume she is actively negotiating for something from Biden.  My guess is she wanted the VP slot and was told "Well, Liz, here's the thing, we need to talk to Stacy Abrams and Kamala Harris before we can do that, so what else you got?"  So they've been going back and forth from there.

Bernie is probably going to get his ass waxed next week except on the North Dakota Caucus.  I mean, it's shaping up like 2016 again, except Joe has a lot more mo than Hilary ever did.  It looks like it's going to be a lot of losses for Bernie if he can't pull a Michigan surprise again, and he doesn't have Caucus to fall back on this time.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

But it is for Liz. So again I ask, someone smarter than me and more intune with politics, how is her still being in the race defensible strategically, practically, or otherwise.

I'm assuming it's a Scylla/Charybdis kind of thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I would assume she is actively negotiating for something from Biden.  My guess is she wanted the VP slot and was told "Well, Liz, here's the thing, we need to talk to Stacy Abrams and Kamala Harris before we can do that, so what else you got?"  So they've been going back and forth from there.

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/17/sanders-warren-vice-president-treasury-secretary/

She'd better serve the nation as Secretary of the Treasury, imo.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Bateshorn is answering the question for you. After she officially drops out she has no leverage in affecting candidate platforms or for positions in a potential administration.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bateshorn is answering the question for you. After she officially drops out she has no leverage in affecting candidate platforms or for positions in a potential administration.

He answered after I asked, but yes that does make sense. But she also has to know after her performance last night, she doesn't have a lot of leverage to negotiate and her staying in the race hurts Bernie (helping Biden) more than the visa versa.

She's the equivalent of the QB on a one year deal who has a good pre-season but then has a horrible season and is still not signing whatever deal is being offered because the results are in and you have no leverage and aren't worth it.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's not over, but it's over.

Yeah.  Unless Biden does something stupid, which isn't out of question, I don't know how Sanders can catch him.  How are NY and Florida polling?  I'd assume that NY would look a lot like MA such that it would be too close to call.  Florida has lots of factors, so I guess it's just who shows up at polls. 

They 18-29 demo failed Bernie in Texas based on the exit polls.  Bernie dominated there, but turnout was much lower than other demos.  They'll need to show better in the remaining large states (IL, NY, FL) for Bernie to catch up.  

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Warren is nothing if not ambitious. 

Well this makes sense, I might have bought hook line and sinker the whole "smart, practical, i would still be in academia but the problem is too important for me to sit back and watch and i don't really want the power" schoolmarm/smart lady bit.

27 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Just another reason why our two-party system is a joke. A Bernie supporter shares almost zero ideological positions as a Biden supporter. But sure, lets put them in the same party and hope they can agree on stuff.

I dunno. I probably have quite a few policy positions Bernie Bros could agree with.

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

He answered after I asked, but yes that does make sense. But she also has to know after her performance last night, she doesn't have a lot of leverage to negotiate and her staying in the race hurts Bernie (helping Biden) more than the visa versa.

She's the equivalent of the QB on a one year deal who has a good pre-season but then has a horrible season and is still not signing whatever deal is being offered because the results are in and you have no leverage and aren't worth it.

She's a terrible politician but her ideas are very popular with respect to what she'd be in charge of as Secretary of the Treasury. Her endorsement of a candidate is a lot more valuable than her vote totals would suggest, imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

She's a terrible politician but her ideas are very popular with respect to what she'd be in charge of as Secretary of the Treasury. Her endorsement of a candidate is a lot more valuable than her vote totals would suggest, imo.

I don't know that her endorsement is particularly valuable to Bernie.  But I think it is tremendously valuable to Biden.

And if she has any political instincts at all, that's who she'll endorse.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This,  If she endorses Biden, it cuts a lot of rug out of Sanders with all but the hard core bros.  Your average progressive person who is attracted to single payer, etc. will feel a bit easier about Biden. 

Again, I suspect she wanted the VP slot but got a no and I think Huck is right, she's trying to get Treasury, which is probably causing some heart burn with the centrists who also want support from Wall Street. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

They 18-29 demo failed Bernie in Texas based on the exit polls.  Bernie dominated there, but turnout was much lower than other demos. 

The lesson here is a lesson that has been repeated for as long as I've followed politics: building your candidacy on the youth vote is a losing plan.  

They may be enthusiastic as hell, but a vote from a bug-eyed super-enthusiastic voter counts the same as a vote from a lackluster voter.  And NEITHER vote counts if they don't bother to show up....and the youth vote just doesn't bother to show up.  Ever.  We keep hearing "but this time, it's different, just look at their enthusiasm!"  And each time we hear that, the same thing happens....

lucy-football.jpg

Which, by the way, fucking sucks.  Because 18-29 year olds have the LONGEST to deal with the repercussions of today's politics, so they should be VERY invested.  They are important.  Fuck, I want shit to transition away from the olds to a younger generation -- I'm Gen X, I figure we'll mostly get skipped over in the process, and I'm okay with it.  But the young voters have to fucking show up for that to happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This isn't true at all.

Both groups see health care as a right and want to expand health care services for all Americans. They differ on exactly how to do that.

Both groups want to end gerrymandering, decrease corporate influence in politics, and make it easier for people to vote.

Both groups want to make higher education more accessible. They differ on exactly how to do that.

Both groups see climate change as a threat and want to build a green economy that decrease GHG emissions.

Both groups want to increase the earnings of the working class, strengthen worker's rights, and increase the tax burden on the wealthy.

The 2016 democratic platform is available online.

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

This isn't true at all.

Both groups see health care as a right and want to expand health care services for all Americans. They differ on exactly how to do that.

Both groups want to end gerrymandering, decrease corporate influence in politics, and make it easier for people to vote.

Both groups want to make higher education more accessible. They differ on exactly how to do that.

Both groups see climate change as a threat and want to build a green economy that decrease GHG emissions.

Both groups want to increase the earnings of the working class, strengthen worker's rights, and increase the tax burden on the wealthy.

The 2016 democratic platform is available online.

Get them facts out of here man.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

This isn't true at all.

You could say this of the Republicans, too, except for the bolded part.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't know that her endorsement is particularly valuable to Bernie.  But I think it is tremendously valuable to Biden.

And if she has any political instincts at all, that's who she'll endorse.

Her endorsement would be HUGE for Bernie, absolutely massive.

Unity in the progressive "lane" would be a great signal. She does really well with people who don't like Bernie (college-educated people, especially women). She's great on the stump.

I actually think she'll be less valuable to Biden, because they're not a policy match at all and it will be obvious.

But she's not going to endorse Bernie. She doesn't see him as likely to win and she is going to make the careerist call.

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I'm a middle-of-the-road moderate who absolutely won't vote for Joe Biden. And when Trump is re-elected, Democrats can look back and ponder on why they had 4 years to run against the most repugnant person to ever hold the office, and the best they could come up with to represent Democrat ideals is an 80 year old lifelong groper who is exhibiting clear cognitive decline (now! imagine 2-3 years into the presidency.  Go back and watch Trump's 2016 debates, he's so far ahead of where he is now mentally, as well as ahead of 2020 Biden, it's scary), 

Biden would be 6 years older than anyone who has ever won a presidential election and 9 years older than any person first elected president. And this is the best you can do??? We need an 85 year old carrying around the nuclear football?

Yet he’s the best the Democrats have to offer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Florida will not be kind to Bernie. That place is set up for Biden to dominate. I suspect he'll do very well in NY as well. I think this thing is way closer to over than the current delegate count suggests.

Yeah, Bern is going to get horse fucked in Florida.  He might not break double digits.

Have you ever watched a Republican debate or stump speech?

Do you think they say, "We don't want everyone to have health care! We want low wages! We want college to be too expensive! WE DRINK BABY BLOOD AND ARE EVIL!"?

Are they lying? Absolutely. We know they have no intention of actually trying to make those things happen and we know they will buckle to the pressure of their benefactors and donors. I'm not saying they'll fight for those things, but if you asked them if they want those things, they'd say yes.

Show me the plans.

Show me the willingness to piss off your donors to make sure those plans happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Selecting Elizabeth Warren out of the Senate removes a Dem seat from a state with a Republican governor. I don't know exactly what Mass's procedure is for replacing a Senator is, but that may need to be taken into account.

That's an excellent point.