Earl Campbell: the human wrecking ball

Machinator

Love your lists, but not one of you has ever heard of a guy named Bobby Layne? Might suggest a google search. Of course, he wasn't exactly modern era, just HOF good. And if you read up on him, you will find he could probably have been HOF in pro baseball if he had chosen that path.

30652734_2045853485674822_64992314725100

"Respect yourself and others will respect you."   - Confucius 

Much respect is given to Earl Campbell, as I had yet to see this world when he played upon the 40 acres...
Yet tales live on, as my father told me in my youth of amazing perfoemances annually racked up & the Heisman Trophy season...
It is legends like him that make the history of collegiate football more than just a sport, but also a fabric within the soul... 

Edited by kopp0e

On 3/29/2018 at 7:02 AM, Southernohiobevo said:

Favorite football player, period. Number two , Dick Butkus.  Punishers.

Butkis???....Nobis was more of a punisher than Butkis. Some of those NFL guys said they would rather play Butkis every week than have to face Nobis once a season. Had Nobis played in Chicago and Butkis in Atlanta, you would have never heard of Butkis.

Watching his highlights gives me goosebumps.  Such a dominating football player.  He would have excelled at LB as well.  To top it all off he is a class act all of the way around.

It was during my junior year (1987) at Texas I was taking a sociology class called "Sports in Society".  We would have guest speakers and SI was a required reading.  Earl came and spoke to the class one day.  While he was talking he became thirsty.  There was a student sitting on the front row with a Dr. Pepper opened.  Earl just walked over and took a big swig of it, gave it back to the student and went on talking.

About 10 years ago my son (about 13 at the time) and I ran into him at a catfish joint in Longview.  It was such a pleasant visit.  It was at that time I realized how I had failed as a father because my son did not know that much about Earl.  We went home and fired up YouTube and watched endless videos of the greatest Longhorn ever.  The son now knows.

Earl, Tim, and Steve-God bless Ann Campbell and her contribution to Texas football history.  Earl brought the pain to the opposition every play and made others around him a threat because of how much respect the play action fake commanded. What a great transition to go from Rosie Leaks to Earl Campbell-except for those who were unfortunately tasked with stopping either of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, TrashMaster G said:

Ranking Riggins ahead of Earl is a joke.  He played in Washington and won a Super Bowl and those two facts are the ONLY reason they ranked it that way.

Hey he once scored 24 TDs in a season. At 34 years of age.

But I think it might also because he played longer thus was around to get more stats. I mean I love Riggins but yeah he was not Earl.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:32 PM, satyanash said:

SIAP: Some of Campbell's highlights from his Longhorn days

It is amazing how bad quality the film from the late 70s and early 80s is. You can barely tell who we are playing half the time...though it is not helped by the fact Rice looks like they are wearing red jerseys. WTH?

about the blocking.  How about little number 25 playing fullback and blocking his heart out.  Was that Ham Jones?  

Also, how about Earl catching that long pass against the ags his senior year.  That pass was in the air a long time.  I had not seen that pass before.  I remember the screen pass he caught against the Hogs in 77, but missed the long one against ags. 

Saying John Riggins was a better power running back than Earl Campbell is like saying Curtis Martin was a better finesse running back than Barry Sanders.

It's so incorrect that you should be banned from sharing any opinions in public for at least a year.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 7:36 PM, Valmy77 said:

It is amazing how bad quality the film from the late 70s and early 80s is. You can barely tell who we are playing half the time...though it is not helped by the fact Rice looks like they are wearing red jerseys. WTH?

I think it was UH, playing at Rice Stadium

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 12:28 AM, ausjala said:

Love your lists, but not one of you has ever heard of a guy named Bobby Layne? Might suggest a google search. Of course, he wasn't exactly modern era, just HOF good. And if you read up on him, you will find he could probably have been HOF in pro baseball if he had chosen that path.

My first day of freshman camp we were taken up to the T room. This was where we were allowed to go during study hall and sit, relax and study. I saw photos of Tom Landry and Bobby Layne together. It motivated me to learn more about Bobby because I was a huge Landry fan. Tom thought when he got to Texas that he'd be the starting QB, no doubt. He said after 5 minutes of watching Bobby in practice, Tom wrote "He was hands down the best QB I've ever seen, even to this day. I knew I had better find a different position if I ever wanted to play." 

Bobby Layne was for real. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 4:24 PM, orangecat92 said:

about the blocking.  How about little number 25 playing fullback and blocking his heart out.  Was that Ham Jones?  

Also, how about Earl catching that long pass against the ags his senior year.  That pass was in the air a long time.  I had not seen that pass before.  I remember the screen pass he caught against the Hogs in 77, but missed the long one against ags. 

Ham Jones. Assistant coach at my high school and study hall "teacher". He'd come back from lunch high as the bejeezus, sunglasses on, and spend an hour playing us in 42 during study hall. Miss that guy.