NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

20 hours ago, Juicy said:

Yeah this contract just blows my mind. I like Brown but he will NEVER be the best player on a championship team, so thats a lot of money to give to a "role player"

Browns contract is DOUBLE what Booker got and 90 million more than what Luka got. That shit is INSANE.

Booker and Luka will both get even bigger contracts than Brown when they are eligible again. It's just how the NBA works, a revolving door of stupid deals that are even stupider than the last. The Celtics overpaid to keep their window open for 2 more years, which is when Tatum is a free agent. 

Brown's estimated salaries:

image.png.d46e9c2080c8c14d79ce86aea127f825.png

18 hours ago, d2o said:

Meh, its a max deal.   I mean I guess they could have tried to give him 4 yrs but that was the advantage that owners wanted in giving the fifth yr.   If they offer 4 then he can say fuck yall and get the same on the open market.

You're making an assumption that every above replacement level player deserves a max contract here. In the universe where I'm God-Emperor of the NBA there are like 6 guys eligible for a max contract and that max is no more than 10x the vet minimum per year. There would also be no limit on duration of guaranteed deals. So guys who want to prioritize stability and security could sign for 10 years at 70% of the max and still come out ahead without worrying about injuries derailing their next contract. All salaries would also be relative to the current cap for a given year, so a max contract isn't $40M/yr when signed and $40M/yr when the cap has grown and the max would be $60M/yr. The max is something like X % of the cap with a minimum floor of Y millions per year.

16 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

You're making an assumption that every above replacement level player deserves a max contract here. In the universe where I'm God-Emperor of the NBA there are like 6 guys eligible for a max contract and that max is no more than 10x the vet minimum per year. There would also be no limit on duration of guaranteed deals. So guys who want to prioritize stability and security could sign for 10 years at 70% of the max and still come out ahead without worrying about injuries derailing their next contract. All salaries would also be relative to the current cap for a given year, so a max contract isn't $40M/yr when signed and $40M/yr when the cap has grown and the max would be $60M/yr. The max is something like X % of the cap with a minimum floor of Y millions per year.

Not assuming that they deserve it.   I know for certain that any All-NBA level player will ask for it.   That is the nature of time with max deals.   Every best player (or even 2nd best in most cases) will expect it.  Their teams will more than likely have to give it because most are over the cap and losing players for nothing doesn't free cap room.   More importantly, they have the money to spend.   The league is making money hand over fist and will soon be up for another massive raise with the next TV deal.

As far as the contract durations go, that was another thing that owners fought for.   They used to be able to go much longer and then they complained about having to pay guys yrs after they were useful or even on their teams .     Further, people already complain about guys dogging it when they have guaranteed deals.    Can you imagine how much worse that would be if a guy was in say yr 5 of a 10 yr guaranteed deal??

People just get too caught up with how much players make.  If Brown can make 60M/yr how much is the guy that pays him and 14 other guys?   No one seems to have a problem with how much money owners make but I guess that is another conversation.  I really hate that player salaries became public information but that is EXACTLY what owners wanted and its worked incredibly well.

I'm totally in favor of players in general making more. And I don't actually care about the absolute number. So if Brown gets $60M/year, good for him. My only issue is in the context of team and league management. If you have a salary cap but designate 60% of that cap to 2 players the majority of players end up getting screwed. Raise the % of revenue given to players, raise the minimum salaries, cap the owners take from league-wide TV deals and ticket sales but let them take whatever they want from team-oriented (i.e., not player specific) merchandise and local TV deals.

And FWIW I know there is no universe in which owners will agree to something like that. They have almost all the leverage and therefore can dictate the terms. I'm strictly dreaming about my God-Emperor status.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

I'm totally in favor of players in general making more. And I don't actually care about the absolute number. So if Brown gets $60M/year, good for him. My only issue is in the context of team and league management. If you have a salary cap but designate 60% of that cap to 2 players the majority of players end up getting screwed. Raise the % of revenue given to players, raise the minimum salaries, cap the owners take from league-wide TV deals and ticket sales but let them take whatever they want from team-oriented (i.e., not player specific) merchandise and local TV deals.

And FWIW I know there is no universe in which owners will agree to something like that. They have almost all the leverage and therefore can dictate the terms. I'm strictly dreaming about my God-Emperor status.

Meh, not really.   There are still 29 other teams that they can get money from (see Fred Van Vleet or any number of fringe guys getting big paydays).   

How does raising the % of revenue given to players make things better?   Are you suggesting that they are able to give certain players money that doesnt count toward the cap?  

30 teams each offering max deals to two guys means 60 guys make 2/3 of the money, while 300 guys are splitting the other 1/3. On average that's going to mean stars make as much as the entire rest of the roster, and in practice means they're making 40+ times the guys on the minimum. I'm about narrowing that gap. 

15 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

30 teams each offering max deals to two guys means 60 guys make 2/3 of the money, while 300 guys are splitting the other 1/3. On average that's going to mean stars make as much as the entire rest of the roster, and in practice means they're making 40+ times the guys on the minimum. I'm about narrowing that gap. 

But why?

Curry is career 90.9% from the stripe.

Tucker is career 89.6% between 40 and 49 and career 97.2% between 30 and 39. Safe to assume his expected % from 40 falls between those and is easily above 90.9%.

So JT. Unless you hate money. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arguably the best RB in the NFL gets $11M/yr while Jalen Brown gets $69M in his final season.  NFL has the worst contracts by far.

NFLPA is the worst of the players unions.   It also helps that the NFL is literally the only game in town.   If it somehow came to be a long work stoppage NBA players could go overseas and make huge money.

EDIT:  I guess NFL players could go to Canada but I have no idea how the money compares there.

Edited by d2o

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

NFLPA is the worst of the players unions.   It also helps that the NFL is literally the only game in town.   If it somehow came to be a long work stoppage NBA players could go overseas and make huge money.

EDIT:  I guess NFL players could go to Canada but I have no idea how the money compares there.

EDIT2: Fuck that they dont make shit LOL

The league does not make teams publicize their player salaries as the NFL does. However, it is estimated that players make between $60,000 and $100,000. The minimum salary an American or National player can make is $65,000. For Global players, that floor is set at $54,000.Nov 21, 2022

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arguably the best RB in the NFL gets $11M/yr while Jalen Brown gets $69M in his final season.  NFL has the worst contracts by far.

If you want Saudis involved in American football, this is how you get Saudis involved in American football.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Loldb8d21b6ef9c6414fc18841ea914a0a9.jpg

He's been using the same playbook for 10 years now. Sign for big money. Demand that the team puts a star next to him. Play at a high level during regular season. Come up short during post season. Blame other star(Dwight, CP3, Kyrie) for shortcomings. Demand other star be jettisoned. If team won't jettison other star, demand trade. Rinse, repeat. The bottom line is that the shortcomings are never his fault, despite him being the common theme.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Wade also made an All Defense team 3 times. He got a ton of blocks for a guard and actually ranks top 30 in career blocks.

I’ll take prime Wade and career Wade all day every day. I’m not actually sure I would pick prime Kobe over prime Wade if I was on a playground. Wade was a better teammate and would be much more fun to play with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

Wade also made an All Defense team 3 times. He got a ton of blocks for a guard and actually ranks top 30 in career blocks.

I’ll take prime Wade and career Wade all day every day. I’m not actually sure I would pick prime Kobe over prime Wade if I was on a playground. Wade was a better teammate and would be much more fun to play with.

gordo-no.gif

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Wade would have withered away into the abyss if LeBron didn't decide to team up with him in Miami. Had Wade continued to be the main guy in Miami, they wouldn't have did shit and the views on him would have been much different.

Wade was the one with a Finals MVP before LBJ got there.    That alone would trump Harden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Wade would have withered away into the abyss if LeBron didn't decide to team up with him in Miami. Had Wade continued to be the main guy in Miami, they wouldn't have did shit and the views on him would have been much different.

Wade was debtabaly the best player on the 2011 team that had LeBron on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not saying Dwyane Wade is better than Kobe. Kobe obviously had a better career. I'm just saying I would probably rather PLAY with prime Wade.

Here are the stats from both of their best years (in PTS, PER, WS and VORP).  Both at 27 yrs old.

• Wade ('08) - 30.2 PTS, 7.5 AST, 5.0 TRB, 1.3 BLK, 2.2 STL, 56.2 TS%, 51.6 eFG%, 9.6 VORP, 14.7 WS, 0.232 WS/48, 30.4 PER
  • Kobe ('06) - 35.4 PTS, 4.5 AST, 5.3 TRB, 0.4 BLK, 1.8 STL, 55.9 TS%, 49.1 eFG%, 8.0 VORP, 15.3 WS, 0.224 WS/48, 28.0 PER

Tell me any of you would honestly rather play with Kobe from these years.  Wade was more efficient, had more assists, played better defense, more steals, more blocks, better WS/48, better PER, better just about everything.  And he did it all while involving his teammates to a much greater degree. 

If there is another Kobe year that was better than Wade in 2008, go ahead and post it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

I'm not saying Dwyane Wade is better than Kobe. Kobe obviously had a better career. I'm just saying I would probably rather PLAY with prime Wade.

Well if that's your criteria, I'd rather play with a topless Alexandria Daddario.

• Hook 'Em 1