NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Was anyone really clamoring for Doc's raspy ass voice in their ear? The hell is the mothership doing?

Burke I do not mind because she knows the game and is generally good. Doc, well, I feel for those of y’all that will willingly listen to him meander through his thoughts on the action. Best thing the Sixers did was get him out of their building. 2nd best thing will be jettisoning Harden.

I used to love hearing Dick Stockton way back when during the height of the Showtime Lakers on the Sunday broadcasts on CBS. He had an excitement for the action that matched the moment really well. 

• Like 1

I can't stand Mark Jackson. He bugs the shit out of me and never really adds anything to the game. The "mama here goes that man" thing was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Good riddance. I thought JVG had good insight into strategy, matchups, and gameflow but I couldn't stand the banter between he and Jackson. I thought it was annoying and distracting, and contrived, but JVG leaving is a loss in general. Doc is fine. His voice is whack but the commentary is mostly on point. Also, if he's announcing that prevents him from coaching so it's good news for all nba teams that don't want to blow a 3-1 playoff series lead.

Doris is fine. I give her a ton of credit because I think she has an impossible standard to live up to being female, but she doesn't come off like she's overcompensating for it. She knows her shit. The other women who hosted the draft were an abject disaster. I thought the entire broadcast was an affront to basketball fans. ESPN's pregame and halftime shit is borderline unwatchable, and it looks like it's only getting worse

Richard Jefferson is probably my favorite announcer right now, which is shocking considering how much I couldn't stand him when he played for the Spurs. I think he's got great insight into what a player goes through on and off the court, and doesn't take himself too seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can't stand Mark Jackson. He bugs the shit out of me and never really adds anything to the game. The "mama here goes that man" thing was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Good riddance. I thought JVG had good insight into strategy, matchups, and gameflow but I couldn't stand the banter between he and Jackson. I thought it was annoying and distracting, and contrived, but JVG leaving is a loss in general. Doc is fine. His voice is whack but the commentary is mostly on point. Also, if he's announcing that prevents him from coaching so it's good news for all nba teams that don't want to blow a 3-1 playoff series lead.

Doris is fine. I give her a ton of credit because I think she has an impossible standard to live up to being female, but she doesn't come off like she's overcompensating for it. She knows her shit. The other women who hosted the draft were an abject disaster. I thought the entire broadcast was an affront to basketball fans. ESPN's pregame and halftime shit is borderline unwatchable, and it looks like it's only getting worse

Richard Jefferson is probably my favorite announcer right now, which is shocking considering how much I couldn't stand him when he played for the Spurs. I think he's got great insight into what a player goes through on and off the court, and doesn't take himself too seriously. 

Yep. All of this. 

Although in Doc's defense he didn't blow a 3-1 lead last season. He blew game 6 at home up 3-2.

Mama here comes that man.

CamSoda’s Vice President, Daryn Parker, penned a letter to Jackson:

Dear Mark Jackson,

My condolences on being laid off by ESPN and vacating your role as an NBA analyst at the worldwide leader in sports.

Now that you’re out of a job and in search of work, I’d like to formally extend you an offer. We here at CamSoda – an adult webcam site – would like to hire you as the company’s first-ever play-by-play announcer for adult cam shows. You’d call private cam sessions just like you had been calling NBA games, commentating on the action playing out in front of your very eyes. You can even use your catchphrase, “Grown Man Move” for sensational moments during couples shows when the man bangs down low and goes strong to the hole.

In return for hiring you as CamSoda’s play-by-play announcer – a role you would have to serve for one full year – we’d be willing to compensate you up to $1,000,000.

Please take some time to consider my offer. I’d like to get you back on the mic and calling the…action…ASAP.

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2023 at 3:43 PM, Js1 said:

Doris absolutely knows her shit. 

I agree. I don't get the hate for her. She is light years ahead of those clowns JVG and Mark Jackson. 

Doc Rivers on the other hand? No idea why ESPN thinks anyone wants to hear him commentate a game.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:51 PM, SilasCoade said:

I liked JVG. He distracted a little from the game but he never took himself seriously. If this means more Richard Jefferson I'm probably muting a lot more games.

Same.   I thought JVG was pretty funny

• Hook 'Em 1

Man Street Clothes got paid. I wonder how much of that 186 million is insured.  I will gladly be mistaken if Davis plays an average of more than 55 games a season over the next five years. Unless the Lakers are enclosing him in a bubble he is going to get injured. He seems like a nice enough guy, but that’s a lot of money to pay someone who cannot handle contact on a consistent basis.

• Rage+1 1

On 8/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Mama here comes that man.

CamSoda’s Vice President, Daryn Parker, penned a letter to Jackson:

Dear Mark Jackson,

My condolences on being laid off by ESPN and vacating your role as an NBA analyst at the worldwide leader in sports.

Now that you’re out of a job and in search of work, I’d like to formally extend you an offer. We here at CamSoda – an adult webcam site – would like to hire you as the company’s first-ever play-by-play announcer for adult cam shows. You’d call private cam sessions just like you had been calling NBA games, commentating on the action playing out in front of your very eyes. You can even use your catchphrase, “Grown Man Move” for sensational moments during couples shows when the man bangs down low and goes strong to the hole.

In return for hiring you as CamSoda’s play-by-play announcer – a role you would have to serve for one full year – we’d be willing to compensate you up to $1,000,000.

Please take some time to consider my offer. I’d like to get you back on the mic and calling the…action…ASAP.

Should go after Mike BANG! Breen. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I wonder how much of that 186 million is insured.

You mean guaranteed and I would assume all of it since this is the NBA and he's a 31 year old who's the best player on his team. 

It's definitely a lot of money given his injury history but Jaylen Brown just got 60M a year and Davis is twice the player he is. If that helps you sleep better.

Also - the window with him and LeBron is maybe another 2 years at max and that's probably pushing it. You sign him now then worry about it later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, ztejas said:

You mean guaranteed and I would assume all of it since this is the NBA and he's a 31 year old who's the best player on his team. 

It's definitely a lot of money given his injury history but Jaylen Brown just got 60M a year and Davis is twice the player he is. If that helps you sleep better.

Also - the window with him and LeBron is maybe another 2 years at max and that's probably pushing it. You sign him now then worry about it later. 

No I do not mean guaranteed. I am fully aware of what the definition of guaranteed is. The question is did the Lakers get an insurance policy on the contract in case of a catastrophic injury to Street Clothes. 

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

No I do not mean guaranteed. I am fully aware of what the definition of guaranteed is. The question is did the Lakers get an insurance policy on the contract in case of a catastrophic injury to Street Clothes. 

I dont understand why someone would even worry about this.    Way too much of counting other people's money in sports today.

38 minutes ago, d2o said:

Interesting tweet about the thought that many shared about the "middle class" disappearing

This is an interesting, albeit somewhat premature, data point since the new CBA is so fresh out of the box. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

But it is in line with my original thinking on the new CBA, which was different from the conventional wisdom that the middle class was going to disappear. I think teams are so afraid of the second apron that we're going to see fewer supermax contracts, or at least have them spread out over more teams. Notwithstanding whatever the fuck the Suns are doing or the downstream effects of the Jaylen Brown contract, the rest of the league appears to want to avoid that second apron like the plague.

The Warriors got out of Jordan Poole's contract. The Nuggets let Bruce Brown go and he got a big middle class raise from Indiana. The Hawks unloaded John Collins for nothing. The Kings spent money on their own guys, but didn't go crazy. The Rockets were the only franchise this off season that spent like drunken sailors, but they were so far under the cap it didn't matter and they didn't do anything to fuck themselves long term. We saw the Lakers try to shore up their roster by signing a bunch of middle class guys to build depth instead of overspending on a superstar (Kyrie). Miami might say fuck it all in their pursuit of Lillard, but other than Boston and Phoenix there really isn't anybody who can't get out of cap purgatory in two years. Denver may have to make some business decisions when Murray comes up in 2025, but so what? They are contenders/favorites for the next two years anyway.

I think I like where this is headed. It should help the league be more balanced and competitive, and have a better overall product.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, d2o said:

I dont understand why someone would even worry about this.    Way too much of counting other people's money in sports today.

It’s not that I care about the money that Buss has. She and her family are plenty wealthy and will be as long as they are running the Lakers. It is more an interest in do teams still take out insurance on contracts of players like this one since his injury history is fairly lengthy. Kinda like Grant Hill’s contract with Orlando and how little he played. 

22 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It’s not that I care about the money that Buss has. She and her family are plenty wealthy and will be as long as they are running the Lakers. It is more an interest in do teams still take out insurance on contracts of players like this one since his injury history is fairly lengthy. Kinda like Grant Hill’s contract with Orlando and how little he played. 

I don’t think this particular risk would make it past the underwriters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.194e277cd7324906f136a02e1c3e7b83.jpg

Good question. I do not know about thinking he would be a superstar, but I didn’t think Harold Miner would be a bust back in the 90’s.

I did think Lawrence Moten would at least be a decent NBA player and not just a superstar in college around that time as well. Moten would do better in this NBA I think.

Edited by UpperWestside

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It would be entertaining to see an effort made to try to. I attempted to see what further information I could find on this, but Google was not much help with any recent information. 

Lloyd’s of London used to be the ones who did stuff like this.   From wiki, here’s a list of people they have insured.

People

On 8/11/2023 at 11:27 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Rick Barry saying what we’re all thinking

You also take what your GM is offering. As a fan of the Purple and Gold, I know what an albatross of a contract looks like with Street clothes and his deal. Brown’s deal, and Tatum’s to come, guarantees they have no shot at winning anything other than meaningless division titles. There is just too much evidence showing these two cannot get it done when it matters. I concede they are both nice guys, but you don’t hand 60 million a year to a guy like this. You just don’t.