NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

This dumbass in-season tournament is actually happening this year.

I've heard it compared to in-season soccer tournaments, but those involve teams you wouldn't normally play in a season (either teams from other countries or from the lower leagues in your country). This is just going to be games against the same teams you would be playing anyway. And there's already a tournament at the end of the basketball season that's a pretty big deal. So, I guess my main question is 

But-why GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So OKC had 35 picks over the next 7 drafts. The hell happens if the league poison pills them and after drafting so many first round guaranteed contracts, they’ll eventually exceed roster spots, no? What happens then

I will tell you how this works. You can package picks for higher slots OR you let someone trade for them and keep kicking the picks down the road. This is lifetime job security for everyone employed in the Land Thieves front office. 

I will tell you how this works. You can package picks for higher slots OR you let someone trade for them and keep kicking the picks down the road. This is lifetime job security for everyone employed in the Land Thieves front office. 

That’s why I’m asking if teams flat out refuse to trade with OKC and they exceed roster limits with guaranteed contracts

That’s why I’m asking if teams flat out refuse to trade with OKC and they exceed roster limits with guaranteed contracts

They have 21 on the roster right now. Going to have to cut 6 at the end of summer.

Maybe Rockets can complete the cycle and pick up Ty Ty and Gaurba.

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mean theoretically it could happen OR they make picks, even first rounders, that they stash overseas until they want them on the roster. I am not a fan of the hording of picks by anyone. The fault of this happening though is more with the inept GM’s handing these picks over so often.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So OKC had 35 picks over the next 7 drafts. The hell happens if the league poison pills them and after drafting so many first round guaranteed contracts, they’ll eventually exceed roster spots, no? What happens then

A lot of these are second round picks, which are basically meaningless.  Sure, they'll trade 3 second round picks into a first or something but they have some value.

I think with the new CBA that second round picks will be more valuable. I think teams will even more draft older players who can be end of rotation guys on cheap contracts with 2nds while continue to take flyers on talent with 1sts.

The new CBA will end up being super harsh on the middle and drive it to the edges of both sides on the ledger. The players should have read the fine print.

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Presti is well liked by most accounts.  You can also trade back years and get even more picks.  Have you seen how desperate nba teams are?  You think they’ll all arrive at some conclusion to not trade w OKC on their own?  Or do you think they’ll collude - that would probably get OKC more compensation picks.  Lulz

• Haha 1

Presti is well liked by most accounts.  You can also trade back years and get even more picks.  Have you seen how desperate nba teams are?  You think they’ll all arrive at some conclusion to not trade w OKC on their own?  Or do you think they’ll collude - that would probably get OKC more compensation picks.  Lulz

It’s the off-season bruh lol.

I just saw they have an avg of 5 picks a draft the next 7 drafts and wondered what would happen if they had too many guaranteed contracts on the roster

10 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I think with the new CBA that second round picks will be more valuable. I think teams will even more draft older players who can be end of rotation guys on cheap contracts with 2nds while continue to take flyers on talent with 1sts.

The new CBA will end up being super harsh on the middle and drive it to the edges of both sides on the ledger. The players should have read the fine print.

Maybe that's the OKC strategy.  I don't pretend to know the new CBA and the aprons or whatever but they might be thinking to stick with their core 3 or 4 and just be volume players with all of the second round picks.  They might figure if they hit on just 1/4 of them then they can be rotational guys at league minimum or something.  A 25% hit rate on 2nd rounders seems fair but I could be wrong.

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

You made me go look since I'm not watching any of this but it looks like he's putting up points but just volume shooting....?

I think he's completely wasting his time and Houston is unnecessarily opening him up to injury. 

But I'm sure the Rockets dipshit management knows what they're doing. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think he's completely wasting his time and Houston is unnecessarily opening him up to injury. 

But I'm sure the Rockets dipshit management knows what they're doing. 

He's there because he wants to be there. He's a second year player, why does it matter?  He's 20, just like a lot of the guys in that league. It's not like he's a 25 year old BYU football player with a significant advantage over playing against a bunch of 18 year olds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 9:11 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

No way the actually make all of those picks.   They will keep trading them further down the line.  The goal is simply to have someone's pick when they have a top 3 pick.   Otherwise they will trade them to either get a big time player like they did to get PG.

19 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It’s the off-season bruh lol.

I just saw they have an avg of 5 picks a draft the next 7 drafts and wondered what would happen if they had too many guaranteed contracts on the roster

Keep in mind only the 1st round picks have guaranteed contracts.

On one hand, I kinda view the second round picks as the NBA's version of cryptocurrency. I do find it interesting how those second round picks are going down these days though. Agents are negotiating directly with teams and getting promises/guarantees while telling other teams to not pick their client. It's a much different dynamic than we've seen in the past, especially with certain agents having more and more pull.

But there are a lot of ways to use those picks, especially for teams that have mortgaged away a good chunk of their future. The Spurs (who like OKC have a shitload of picks coming their way in the next 7 years), just traded a few second rounders and took a small one year cap hit to facilitate the Mavs signing Grant Williams. In return, they got an unprotected first round swap from Dallas way down the line that may amount to something huge, or nothing at all.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the new CBA and second apron impacts all of this. Cap space seems relatively cheap right now but at the same time, low spending teams are having to get up to the floor so it makes cap room a little more scarce. I think it's smart what OKC and and the Spurs are doing. They can keep pushing those picks down the line by facilitating more deals or use them to acquire a disgruntled star or use them for cheap deals to fill out their bench once they start truly competing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Even if that Spurs/Dallas 1st swap only nets them 3 spots higher in the draft order, they will have made out well for two 2nds.  At the back end of the first round, moving up a few spots takes more than a couple 2nds.  It's a fair wager, and we may see more gambles like that from other teams. I really like that trade for the Spurs, they needed to spend on cap space and they don't need all those future 2nds. It could be a hell of a trade if Dallas falls apart in 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Boston globe reporting Celts are stockpiling picks for a seismic move. 

cowherd speculating Giannis

Unless Giannis demands it and is forcing their hand, Milwaukee should be forced to relocate their franchise to Las Vegas or Seattle if they trade him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Boston globe reporting Celts are stockpiling picks for a seismic move. 

cowherd speculating Giannis

Cant imagine Giannis asking out, and asking to go BOS and that would be the only way it would happen.   BOS could offer basically their whole team and MIL should turn it down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't understand why or how this would happen, and it seems like wishcasting a star into a big market by the media.

So many in the media have been trying to make Giannis into that kind of guy since he became a star when he has shown over and over he isnt interested in going to a bigger market.    

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, d2o said:

So many in the media have been trying to make Giannis into that kind of guy since he became a star when he has shown over and over he isnt interested in going to a bigger market.    

Agreed.  But narratives can change quickly. 

People said the same thing about Durant until he left for Golden State.  Remember this guy?

Five things Kevin Durant should put in his backpack for Game 2

We are seeing that now in real time with Dame Lillard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

People said the same thing about Durant until he left for Golden State.  Remember this guy?

The difference being that Giannis won a ring in Milwaukee. Other than the nephew, I can’t remember another star bailing on the team that drafted him if they had won a championship and was still in contention. All the other guys bailed on the team that drafted them because they failed to build a team around them. Unless I’m missing someone… KG, Shaq, Carmelo, Lebron, KD, Paul George, Chris Paul, Harden (technically drafted by okc I guess), Lillard, AD. I suppose Kyrie, but he was really Lebron’s sidekick plus he’s fucking insane. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The difference being that Giannis won a ring in Milwaukee. Other than the nephew, I can’t remember another star bailing on the team that drafted him if they had won a championship and was still in contention. All the other guys bailed on the team that drafted them because they failed to build a team around them. Unless I’m missing someone… KG, Shaq, Carmelo, Lebron, KD, Paul George, Chris Paul, Harden (technically drafted by okc I guess), Lillard, AD. I suppose Kyrie, but he was really Lebron’s sidekick plus he’s fucking insane. 

Shaq is one of the exceptions.   He left ORL when they were just in the finals and had a young team built for success.  Obviously it worked out to be the right call.  Helps that it was crazy money and LA over Orlando

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, HookEm said:

The difference being that Giannis won a title as the best player on his team and did it in Milwaukee of all places. I do not believe he will ever ask out unless the entire team falls apart and goes into a big rebuild. He has made it clear before how little he thinks of the super teams.

• Hook 'Em 1