Surly Horns Stampede To Tuscaloosa

immamac

Hey, @immamac, I told a buddy to check out the tailgate.

He’s an Ohio State alum, but he’s ok as both of his kids graduated from Texas.

He’ll be a party of 3, I told him what I think he needed to know:

1) A donation to Burnt Ends or Texas One Is required to eat and drink

2) Check in with the guy that looks like Jesus

3) The password is Muledick

Is that cool, or am I missing anything?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Dimitri's is good. So is Big Bad Breakfast. Another Broken Egg is okay. Hero Donuts, Shipley's Donuts, any Krispy Kreme place is good. Ruby Sunshine is good. 

Agree on Dimitri’s. Another Broken Wgg always has a line and I don’t know anyone who’s been there. The Original Pancake House in Five Points and Trattoria ZaZa downtown are both good. 

18 hours ago, jTower said:

Agree on Dimitri’s. Another Broken Wgg always has a line and I don’t know anyone who’s been there. The Original Pancake House in Five Points and Trattoria ZaZa downtown are both good. 

I’ve been there once, it was good, it’s probably not worth the wait.  Brick and Spoon or sweet home food bar for breakfast or brunch.  They’re big on brunch in Tuscaloosa on Sundays.  Chicken and Waffles, Grits, biscuits…that kinda shit.  Just  go with it

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 1

FYI, the donut/breakfast place downtown on University near Greensboro Ave (south side of University) was legit. One option was a maple donut with bacon on top--I got the breakfast biscuit with eggs and bacon. Anyway, cool local spot near a ton of stuff. Line got long after a while. 

13 hours ago, jTower said:

Another Broken Egg is fine but you're right about the line. The Original Pancake House got taken off my list about fifteen years ago when I watched a rat eat somebody's leftovers a few tables over. 

• Drool 1

23 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

The Original Pancake House got taken off my list about fifteen years ago when I watched a rat eat somebody's leftovers a few tables over. 

As long as he keeps to himself and leaves a good tip, I don't see the problem. Are you one of those first plate elitists? Bet you're against double dipping too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, orange dream said:

Any suggestions from the locals for breakfast or donut places in Birmingham?

image.gif.3dc2de01a5a10ec1ebd79dd645675bd0.gif

I'm a Salem's Diner man myself. Tell Mr. Wayne "The Professor" sent you.

https://www.salemsdiner.com/

PS: Shipley's Donuts in Hoover does decent Kolaches

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Salem's is a good call. Haven't been there in forever.

Mauricio left and went home to Acambay where he has married and had a kid. Runs his own clothing store there which he always wanted to do.

They have two decent cooks who switch off there. I have a limited knowledge of the menu because I go there at lunch whenever I crave patty melt and onion rings.

Hey, for anybody staying near Homewood/BHam who wants to get a distended gut eating at a real Mexico Mexican (not Taco Bell) buffet, or maybe get some fresh bread, pastries, or a licuado, saunter into Mi Pueblo supermarket in Homewood (pronounced Jongüu.)

Don't yell too loud because everybody else there has a hangover and/or is about to go work on top of a hot roof.

http://mipueblosupermarket.com/

Gordos a few blocks away also has good stuff if you don't want to eat until you can't walk, but their bread is way higher.

https://menupages.com/gordos/433-valley-ave-birmingham

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Lol. There's a big Benjamin Moore plant/distributor in Pell City. Guessing that's about the only thing going for that town. 

I taught a night class at the Juco in Pell City about 10 years ago. It has the basics (I said BASICS) of civilization, but it's no Leeds.

I guess if I'd known about the paint plant I would have been more excited.

30 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

Questions for the bama guys. If I leave about 10:00 am from hoover, will traffic be okay?  

Parking in lot a, is there a shuttle to the stadium? If not, can I drink a beer while walking to the tailgate?

I assume they sell beer in the stadium?

You will be in Tuscaloosa in 45 minutes if you leave at 10 a.m. Traffic will be light but steady. I would figure on traffic not being a problem until around 2 p.m.

You will see people drinking a beer and walking around, but I am not sure about legality. I would use a Koozie or maybe dump it in a Yeti cup just to be safe. I drank my tallboys out of a papersack last weekend with no trouble. On the strip, vendors will be selling beer in street kiosks ($6 is what I saw as the going price). Many people were openly drinking and walking. 

In terms of shuttle from Lot A, I parked near there last weekend. I just walked--it was about a 10-minuted trek to the quad. I didn't see a shuttle, but I wasn't really looking either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, squib said:

You will be in Tuscaloosa in 45 minutes if you leave at 10 a.m. Traffic will be light but steady. I would figure on traffic not being a problem until around 2 p.m.

You will see people drinking a beer and walking around, but I am not sure about legality. I would use a Koozie or maybe dump it in a Yeti cup just to be safe. I drank my tallboys out of a papersack last weekend with no trouble. On the strip, vendors will be selling beer in street kiosks ($6 is what I saw as the going price). Many people were openly drinking and walking. 

In terms of shuttle from Lot A, I parked near there last weekend. I just walked--it was about a 10-minuted trek to the quad. I didn't see a shuttle, but I wasn't really looking either. 

Much appreciated. What about buying beer inside the stadium?

11 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Lots of burnt orange in Tuscaloosa already.

0A9998E5-360B-466E-91CC-532A2F9960FC.jpegThis is Dillards chop house right after someone started a Texas Fight chant.  I don’t know them.  I did meet most of them.  Too much wine so I don’t remember their names and I have no idea why that guy has the horns down but like I always say, horns up or horns down, either way, that bulls is going to fuck you up.

ADCABB65-0ADF-4061-90D5-D2FC62203133.jpeg

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

0A9998E5-360B-466E-91CC-532A2F9960FC.jpegThis is Dillards chop house right after someone started a Texas Fight chant.  I don’t know them.  I did meet most of them.  Too much wine so I don’t remember their names and I have no idea why that guy has the horns down but like I always say, horns up or horns down, either way, that bulls is going to fuck you up.

Looks like a wild party.  Lulz

• Haha 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic