Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

You guys definitely have the easier schedule down the stretch. The Baylor game in Waco is the key for you guys. I think UH wins the rest of their games after that one. UCF getting both you guys at home back to back is interesting.

By the time we tip Saturday, we’ll know if we control our ability to grab a share.

Thanks BYU!

And now we have to cheer for Baylor (vomits a little bit).

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, but there's got to be something the Big 12 can do to keep Jamie Dixon's fucking ass off the court. I think that shit pisses me off the most out of all the other basketball shit in this conference. Dude has literally injured players doing this in conference play and the Big 12 never says a thing to him about it.

He got T’d up in Ames a couple weeks ago for it.

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

Man jimmy dykes is way worse than Fran 

Fran can be corny and repetitive, but I’d honestly rather listen to Dickie V scream incoherent noises with Lowell on PBP than Dykes paired with anyone else. He’s like some fucked up blend of Bilas and Gary Danielson sent to further remove any of my interest in joining SEC basketball.

Happy to see my guys finally having a pulse beating BYU on Saturday and at Cincy tonight. But I still think we need to replace Boynton. The reason we're playing better is that Jamyron Keller looks to be legit. He's only playing because Bryce Thompson is hurt for the rest of the season. Bryce has not gotten better at anything over the last two years and should have been benched a long time ago. It feels like Boynton being loyal to recruiting stars and seniority. That's on him. I've wanted so hard for him to succeed but last week he went on an NIL rant that pissed me off. Even if I still liked him, it's time for a new coach. 

Edited by 'stache

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

Happy to see my guys finally having a pulse beating BYU on Saturday and at Cincy tonight. But I still think we need to replace Boynton. The reason we're playing better is that Jamyron Keller looks to be legit. He's only playing because Bryce Thompson is hurt for the rest of the season. Bryce has not gotten better at anything over the last two years and should have been benched a long time ago. It feels like Boynton being loyal to recruiting stars and seniority. That's on him. I've wanted so hard for him to succeed but last week he went on an NIL rant that pissed me off. Even if I still liked him, it's time for a new coach. 

I think you're probably right.  When coaches start speaking out publicly about NIL, it's a really clear sign that things are passing them by and they're losing their ability to relate to the guys they're going to be recruiting.

Boynton's extremely likeable and it's bought him some time, but it seems like it's run it's course.

It's weird.  OSU being down is good for ISU, but part of me wants to see you guys relevant again.  The Big 12 is better when GIA gives a shit.  

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think you're probably right.  When coaches start speaking out publicly about NIL, it's a really clear sign that things are passing them by and they're losing their ability to relate to the guys they're going to be recruiting.

Boynton's extremely likeable and it's bought him some time, but it seems like it's run it's course.

It's weird.  OSU being down is good for ISU, but part of me wants to see you guys relevant again.  The Big 12 is better when GIA gives a shit.  

He's 42 years old so I don't think the game or how to manage the new world is passing him bye, he's just not a very good coach. I also don't care in general if coaches get grumpy about NIL and the portal, I imagine it sucks hard to operate in this new space. What pissed me off about the rant was that it was directed at the school and fans (specifically donors) implying that we lost the roster last year for lack of NIL. He needs to be making the pitch directly to the donors not the media. They've already shown that NIL money will be there to retain a successful roster in football. The same would be true in basketball but the donors clearly have no faith in Boynton. This is very short term money, why would someone pay a bunch of money to retain a roster that can't even make the NCAA tournament? His only appearance was with Cade Cunningham, the most talented player to ever play for OSU, and we couldn't even beat a 12 seed in the second round. There are only a handful of bluebloods with an NIL spigot and he ain't getting any of those jobs with the results he's shown in Stillwater. We need a fresh start. I damn near cry when I see empty GIA. I was a student during Eddie Sutton's heyday in the early 2000's. It was everything back then, now I don't even go out of my way to watch on TV, got lucky that I had nothing else to do during the last two wins.

Edited by 'stache

14 hours ago, 'stache said:

Yeah y'all need to replace Boynton. He seems like a great guy but he's just not getting it done. It's crazy that the Big 12 is so strong today even with OSU being down and out, a program with a lot of history that could definitely be a contender again with the right coach.

47 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He's 42 years old so I don't think the game or how to manage the new world is passing him bye, he's just not a very good coach. I also don't care in general if coaches get grumpy about NIL and the portal, I imagine it sucks hard to operate in this new space. What pissed me off about the rant was that it was directed at the school and fans (specifically donors) implying that we lost the roster last year for lack of NIL. He needs to be making the pitch directly to the donors not the media. They've already shown that NIL money will be there to retain a successful roster in football. The same would be true in basketball but the donors clearly have no faith in Boynton. This is very short term money, why would someone pay a bunch of money to retain a roster that can't even make the NCAA tournament? His only appearance was with Cade Cunningham, the most talented player to ever play for OSU, and we couldn't even beat a 12 seed in the second round. There are only a handful of bluebloods with an NIL spigot and he ain't getting any of those jobs with the results he's shown in Stillwater. We need a fresh start. I damn near cry when I see empty GIA. I was a student during Eddie Sutton's heyday in the early 2000's. It was everything back then, now I don't even go out of my way to watch on TV, got lucky that I had nothing else to do during the last two wins.

No, I agree, and that's an example why.  If you can't keep up at his stage, you aren't cut out for it.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:40 PM, Hookem2147 said:

OU is going to end up being a bubble team. Haven’t been impressed and I think Moser has a little Barnes in him where his teams tend to wear down as the season goes on.

Going to pat myself on the back on this one. Now 6-7 in Big 12 play with games against OSU, Iowa State, Houston, Cincy and Texas remaining. 40th in NET and 35th in KenPom. Only 3 Q1 wins. Also played one of the worst non-con schedules in the country (turns out Iowa, Arkansas, USC and Providence are all meh to not good).

They probably get in at 8-10 but they have work to do.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No, I agree, and that's an example why.  If you can't keep up at his stage, you aren't cut out for it.

I think he'll do really well as an assistant somewhere and get another shot. I'm sure I'll get over my current resentment once he moves on and will likely hope to see him succeed. 

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think he'll do really well as an assistant somewhere and get another shot. I'm sure I'll get over my current resentment once he moves on and will likely hope to see him succeed. 

You will.  I'm finally cool with Greg McDermott.  Took a decade, but I'm there.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You will.  I'm finally cool with Greg McDermott.  Took a decade, but I'm there.

Only if he moves on this year. I still hate Travis Ford and will forever because he sucked and was here way too long. Brad Underwood can fuck himself, for eternity, will always hate that mother fucker.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Only if he moves on this year. I still hate Travis Ford and will forever because he sucked and was here way too long. Brad Underwood can fuck himself, for eternity, will always hate that mother fucker.

A coach who does well and then leaves you high and dry is totally different than a coach who sucks and you have to fire, at least for me.

Underwood fucked you over.  Boynton did his best and failed.

Ford.  Well, man.  I don't even know how to describe him.  I always kinda hated playing his teams as an opponent, but it's hard not to equate him with the decline of OSU basketball.

Just now, Minute Bull said:

Thinking the Coogs might go all the way this year.  Absolutely taking apart a good Baylor team in Waco.  

Still kills me (not literally) that we were tied with the Coogs at the end of the game and had the ball. Wrote some regarded shit that led to us not getting a shot off to win it. 

Aarrrrrgggg! We could have really used that win over a Top 5 team. 

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Anyone hurt... or are you just frustrated by how your current game is going vs Wvu ??

Wvu leads 51-50       8:40 left

Weird, disjointed game. It's like Iowa St wants to lose, but WVU is too inept to win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Weird, disjointed game. It's like Iowa St wants to lose, but WVU is too inept to win.

14-0 run by cyclones has put game away. 

Last 5mins has been more about just terrible Wvu play -- just clueless 5min stretch without scoring any points.

64-51    cyclones up     3:27 left