Immaculate Grid

tokamak

37 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Also, this game is easy to cheat and apparently lots of folks cheat this game.  There is no way that the most common score is a perfect 9.  

I've noticed the same thing.  Got my first 9/9 yesterday.  I struggle any time the expansion teams are present.  My Topps complete sets ranged from 1985 - 1994, so my team knowledge is heavily weighted during that time frame.  I would organize the set by team then player in alphabetical order and put them neatly in the 9-sleeve plastic sheets in big a binder I got from my dad's work.  I think I could probably tell you Ozzie Virgil's hometown and how many games Kent Tekulve pitched in 1988 when he was on the Phillies.

I got 8/9 this morning but got stumped on Rockies / Tigers.  I've been consistently in the 5-7 range.  There's no way that many people are baseball statistic savants to hammer 9/9 consistently.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I've noticed the same thing.  Got my first 9/9 yesterday.  I struggle any time the expansion teams are present.  My Topps complete sets ranged from 1985 - 1994, so my team knowledge is heavily weighted during that time frame.  I would organize the set by team then player in alphabetical order and put them neatly in the 9-sleeve plastic sheets in big a binder I got from my dad's work.  I think I could probably tell you Ozzie Virgil's hometown and how many games Kent Tekulve pitched in 1988 when he was on the Phillies.

I got 8/9 this morning but got stumped on Rockies / Tigers.  I've been consistently in the 5-7 range.  There's no way that many people are baseball statistic savants to hammer 9/9 consistently.

Brother?

holy shit, twilight zone…

I could have written this exact same thing word-for-word (thus my guess of “Zane smith” as a brave/cardinal today (he actually was with Braves/Pirates)

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing I would possible do to this is make it timed. Not that people can't still cheat, but i think that would lower 9/9s alot.

The past two for me I have done within 3 mins but one of the other ones I did 't get 9 on I sat for prob 15 mins trying to think of a player.

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I'm usually good for about 5 on my own, but then I have to cheat to get the rest. Usually I'll have a player in mind that I'm just not 100% sure on, but 55% of the time I'm right on those. 

Be a man and let it rip.  Take the L when it comes.

• Hook 'Em 2

So I'm afraid I've discovered the secret weapon.. I'm hoping that it doesn't take away from the fun of it but there's a certain relief pitcher that would work for 6 squares today.  
Yeah good luck with that....fucked myself already by knowing Tejada had 200 hits with As and Balt and used him for Balt then couldn't use him for A's.

5 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

To be fair, the kind of person that plays the game is also the kind of person that really, really likes baseball.

But yeah, bitches be cheating.

Immaculate Grid 96 7/9:

🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Fucked around at the start and blew two guesses naming a 20 game winner for the blue jays instead of just taking the easy answer 

Spoiler

Dave Stieb never got more than 18.

Dave Stewart never got more than 19…over two years…with the Blue Jays

FC5AD69A-201A-440E-A1FA-DBEAC5542B09.thumb.jpeg.e5ef6bf8ae6ab044a9864785db74d295.jpeg

Immaculate Grid 96 8/9:

🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230707_212724_Chrome.thumb.jpg.93d3f724506f58d4550817bd472340b8.jpg

Rick Rhoden did not play for the Blue Jays.  I wasn't too confident that he did, I guess I should have waited for someone else to pop into my head.

I wanted to guess Stieb or Hentgen for the Toronto 20 game winner but wasn't sure about either.  Hentgen would have been right but not Stieb.

Immaculate Grid 96 8/9:

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler

908F4AAE-2B9A-4C31-A5B8-BE9AFC0D2B1F.thumb.jpeg.2a275194397a41663c339476f111571b.jpeg

burned a guess on Pedro for bottom right even though I knew Gibson and verlander  thought I knew Pedro for sure too.  But I have no clue on the last one so may not have mattered  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/pitchers-to-win-mlb-mvp-award

More than I thought...bunch of old timers I haven't heard of

I’m more surprised 3 relievers won one 

but since the Cy Young award started, a pitcher has won the MVP 11 times, or about once every 12 years in each league.

that feels about right.

• Hook 'Em 1

man do i get stuck on which players played for two specific teams. that steve avery shit yesterday was 100% a shot in the dark, i was so crunk when i hit that one lol. 

im currently 6/6 and just sitting here with three guesses that are likely doing to be steve avery shots in the dark. im already a friend for this game lol. 

me at 11:58 every evening, waiting for the new one to come out:

IMG_6404.jpeg

Immaculate Grid 96 6/9:

🟩

🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩

I am terrible at remembering which dudes played for two teams. My brain typically only remembers a player playing for one team unless it is somebody like Barry Bonds who was a legit star for two teams.

I got Jeff Kent because somehow in the depths of my memory I remembered he started out with the Jays but that was kind of crazy luck.

I was just musing out loud to myself about "20+ game winner who also won the MVP" and my wife, who knows nothing about baseball, just blurts "oh Sandy Koufax". So that was funny. One square for my wife.

Sandy Koufax might have retired in 1966 but his legend lives on I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:47 PM, texashorne said:

So I'm afraid I've discovered the secret weapon.. I'm hoping that it doesn't take away from the fun of it but there's a certain relief pitcher that would work for 6 squares today.  

Relief pitchers are the key to being good at this.

Immaculate Grid 97 8/9:

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230709_060325_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a6c47384f70fe9493d194af8ee6ff41d.jpg

I was stuck on KC/WAS and MIL/WAS. Then after a wrong guess on MIL/WAS (Pat Listach, shot in the dark) Marquis Grissom popped in my head. Don't think I would have ever gotten the KC one anyway. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

Immaculate Grid 97 5/9:

🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩

Damn. I went through virtually all of the Nats I could think of and I had nothing. Even Matt Adams, who I thought had played for everybody, didn't work.

But it was afterwards I realized I probably could have used Expos for the Nats and gotten a few. Damnit.

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Immaculate Grid 97 6/9:

🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩

Dammit.  I think this is the first time I’ve struggled with a stat/award column.  I made 3 guesses at a Ranger with 30 SB and missed on all.  

Spoiler

I did Julio Franco for the Rangers, Willie Wilson for the Royals, and Paul Molitor for the Brewers. Showing my age there, all good base stealers when I was a kid.

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Immaculate Grid 97 5/9:

🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩

Damn. I went through virtually all of the Nats I could think of and I had nothing. Even Matt Adams, who I thought had played for everybody, didn't work.

But it was afterwards I realized I probably could have used Expos for the Nats and gotten a few. Damnit.

Exactly. Waiting for the Phillies/Nationals square so I can use Pedro Martínez when most use Trea Turner.