USWNT 2023: Journey to a 5th Star

pacman

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I gotta give Vietnam credit, usually a team would stop selling out to defend like this. They were dead set to defend like crazy. Holding us to 3 is a credit to them. 

Yeah cost me a 12 pack. I said 5 for the US. 

That said, we did not look great. Did not like the subs, and Vietnam went full Da Nang early. 

Dad (pretty good Vietnamese speaker) pointed out fans were wearing bandanas with Holy Battle on them. 

We got the W, happy for that, but damn we did not look polished. 

Now onto the next matches! Glad for once I work Africa Time Zones. 

vietnam played not-football that's big-sam approved but the us still dominated possession and was able to break down 10 behind the ball

we really learned nothing about this new-look US side due to the physical size of the vietnamese

our final-third decisions were hit and miss, finishing was panicked and rushed

rapinoe had an open goal and wondolowskied - i hope that is not a foreshadowing

taping the dutch in 30 minutes to watch after the british open

will report findings

• Hook 'Em 1

the dutch are going to match us for size and physicality

they have better setpiece delivery than we do, so we will learn a lot about our back line

midfields look about even

up front i think we have more to offer if our final third decisions are better

the finishing will take care of itself if we are less panicked and helterskelter with our shot selection

i think we can break them down if they will actually play football

i don't see them hiding behind the ball - a result against the US and they are in for a chance to top the group

dropped group stage points for the us girlz:

91 won3

95 china 3 - 3 us

99 won3

03 won3

07 dprk 2 - 2 us

11 sverige 2 - 1 us

15 sverige 0 - 0 us

19 won3

23 ?

at 8 prior WWCs in 24 group games the US is 20-1-3

can the dutch take points from us?

we beat them in the 19 wwc final 2-0, and then a year later in the olympics lieke martens missed a penal on 82' in the quarters when were level 2-2, and the us advanced on kicks 4-2

the dutch are gunning for us

we better bring our AAA+ game

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp
  • Hook 'Em 1

The 3-0 is looking better the more that other teams struggle putting away matches that should be an easy 3 points. Canada and France drew against bad teams and England won 1-0 against Haiti.

Obviously the sloppy stuff is a concern and isn't going to work against better teams. There is nothing wrong with this team's talent - we're still easily #1 there. Just worry about their focus. 

We are the #1 team, sure. But there isn't anything easy about it. Us lifting the trophy isn't close to a given. Teams around the world are catching up to us and I think there are a number of squads that could beat this team, including the Netherlands in our own group.

we could be the #1 team if we play within ourselves - launching a cannon shot without looking up every time the ball lands at our feet anywhere near or in the box is going to get us bounced in the semis or quarters depending on who we come up against

last night's games were revelatory

brazil's 3rd goal is what i'm talking about - speed of thought, close control - where we tried to crush vietnam with brute force and cannon power - very naive approach at this level

germany's scoreline doesn't tell the full story - they are patient in the final 3rd and their delivery is much better than ours

italy and argentina both looked good playing each other

we *could* be #1 but there is no proof of this yet

we should be extremely concerned

i'm glad we have an actual test against the dutch

the US is the only country that has ever played the maximum amount of games in every WWC and that's at risk

I don't get the "teams catching up with us" narrative. 

We've been lucky to have a "golden generation" for a while but remember that we went 16 years between titles.

Germany, Norway. Sweden, Brazil, China, and Japan have all been good at the women's game for a while.

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Germany, Norway. Sweden, Brazil, China, and Japan have all been good at the women's game for a while.

Good - sure. The only other countries that have consistently made the semis and beyond, however, are Germany, Sweden and Norway.

As of now there are more countries - like England and Spain - starting to develop an interest in their women's team being worth a shit and game-to-game its making tourneys tougher (as we're seeing this iteration). 

At the end of the day we've been (outside of a couple weird results in the Olympics, one of which we still came in 3rd) one of the best 3 teams year in and year out for 30+ years. We could have easily won in 2011. Do we win in 2015 and 2019 if we win in 2011? I don't know. Point being - we show up to win the tournament and that should be the expectation until it isn't. 

That doesn't mean it's a failure if we lose in the semis. It's soccer. But we are still the predominant women's soccer program and the #1 team to beat at this tournament. 

I agree with your point about teams "catching up". Plenty of teams have been good enough to beat us if not straight up better than us over the years.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

As of now there are more countries - like England and Spain - starting to develop an interest in their women's team being worth a shit and game-to-game its making tourneys tougher (as we're seeing this iteration). 

Spain might win one eventually. Not worried about England. Ever. 

Exhibit A:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Good things happen when shooters get the ball on frame.

Our ladies should take note.

They scored because we didn't stop the counter and then Dunn made two horrendous plays. 

This isn't hockey. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They scored because we didn't stop the counter and then Dunn made two horrendous plays. 

This isn't hockey. 

Thru also scored because they got a great shot that was on goal, something we are struggling to do.

I know it's not hockey. Fuck off.

Edited by TrashMaster G

This team does a lot of really dumb shit in the final third. I know @Hagbard Celinepointed it out pre-game but it's fairly evident.

The talent is undeniable. The stuff between the ears with this squad isn't as great as with some past teams. Some of that is potentially on coaching. 

We need Rapinoe on at half. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This team does a lot of really dumb shit in the final third. I know @Hagbard Celinepointed it out pre-game but it's fairly evident.

The talent is undeniable. The stuff between the ears with this squad isn't as great as with some past teams. Some of that is potentially on coaching. 

I think a lot is on the coaching. This team is in transition from the old guard to the new. I am not sure that Andonovski is the guy that is the right guy for that transition, I don't think he had chops for that. Many would point to the slow transition from the last WC as evidence of that. The team has also looked disjointed at times across that age gap.

Edited by Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We play a style that allowed us to dominate when our athletes were far superior to the rest of the world. European teams play a more possession oriented game and, as the skill and athleticism of their player pools improves, our style will be a real weakness. 

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Wait, what?  She was washed 4 years ago

I may have drunkenly besmirched her the other night but she's a fucking baller and has ice in her veins. These ladies out here right now are high-strung and chasing the game. 

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

We play a style that allowed us to dominate when our athletes were far superior to the rest of the world. European teams play a more possession oriented game and, as the skill and athleticism of their player pools improves, our style will be a real weakness. 

I'm not seeing much of a stylistic issue yet. I'm seeing a lot of hurried decision making and poor judgment. That can of course also be on coaching - but the first NED goal was against the run of play. 

We need to get to half and chill the fuck out and find an equalizer. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm not seeing much of a stylistic issue yet. I'm seeing a lot of hurried decision making and poor judgment.

The Dutch are good enough to play keep-away for long stretches and then defend the occasional counter. We are not built to defeat a more skilled, possession-oriented team with good athletes.