Tell me about ou

Texas007

Injury update, or nonupdate depending upon circumstances:

-Jaren Kanak, a young starting LB with a lot of promise, had a bizarre moment on Saturday where he collapsed after a play, then pulled himself and got to the sideline, and almost collapsed again. They carted him out of the stadium and took him to the hospital. It sounds like he's okay from an overall perspective, but the phrasing afterwards from Venables implied that they needed to understand some things better before being certain he's practicing this week. That's probably been cleared up by now, actually, since they've practiced, but I haven't seen it on their boards yet.

-Nic Anderson, RS FR with 4 tds this year at WR, suffered a muscular injury and spent the second half on a bike. Venables wouldn't discuss the injury but they seem to think he might be out this week as a precautionary measure before playing Texas.

-No updates provided for Harrington (starting OLB), Byrd (starting LG), or Pearson (starting S), but none of them played against Cincinnati. Harrington's sounds serious.

OU's a little banged up heading into the titanic match-up with the great Iowa State Cyclones.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Injury update, or nonupdate depending upon circumstances:

-Jaren Kanak, a young starting LB with a lot of promise, had a bizarre moment on Saturday where he collapsed after a play, then pulled himself and got to the sideline, and almost collapsed again. They carted him out of the stadium and took him to the hospital. It sounds like he's okay from an overall perspective, but the phrasing afterwards from Venables implied that they needed to understand some things better before being certain he's practicing this week. That's probably been cleared up by now, actually, since they've practiced, but I haven't seen it on their boards yet.

-Nic Anderson, RS FR with 4 tds this year at WR, suffered a muscular injury and spent the second half on a bike. Venables wouldn't discuss the injury but they seem to think he might be out this week as a precautionary measure before playing Texas.

-No updates provided for Harrington (starting OLB), Byrd (starting LG), or Pearson (starting S), but none of them played against Cincinnati. Harrington's sounds serious.

OU's a little banged up heading into the titanic match-up with the great Iowa State Cyclones.

Byrd was rumored as a concussion. Harrington’s must be some kind of ligament tear. They’d need NCAA approval for another medical year for him. I think Pearson’s is a shoulder situation. Clears room for Bowen to play, so that one doesn’t hurt so much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2023 at 3:44 PM, closetojumping said:

Venables can just wait until October 8 and scapegoat him. That buys him another season in CFB these days. Year 1 is "we're rebuilding", Year 2 is firing a coordinator, and Year 3 is blaming the players or getting fired, depending upon the school, whenever a HC is a clear failure.

I think a lot of people have lambasted programs for hiring either guy. The problem is, there are enough people and programs out there that care less about integrity and student welfare than they do about winning. Who has hired either guy?

For Briles: Lane Kiffin at FAU in 2017 - we know that guy doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself; UH with a desperate Applewhite; FSU with a desperate Taggert and a history of covering up rape and other shit; Arkansas in the SEC backwater; and TCU, under a slimy Sonny Dykes and a history of cheating as a program.

For Lebby: UCF under Heupel, someone accustomed to the old OU way of doing things (no offense, but come on); Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss and we know his bullshit; and then Venables at OU, a man cloaked in the fabric of God and Jesus while he's helped cheat the program's ass off at OU and then Clemson. Let's not act like OU gives a shit about protecting women from athletes. All of this shit from Venables and Castiglione is theater simply because JC knows how to read a room.

The notion that Art Briles didn't know things is so laughably absurd that it simply deserves to be immediately dismissed out of hand when someone attempts to present it. The guy was getting text updates on the reg and the sheer volume of players and females involved means that the rape factory was institutionally run. The stuff presented in that report was so heinous that they chose to destroy it/bury it rather than ever have it find the light of day.

Further, whenever the guy even gets vaguely close to sniffing a gig somewhere, someone shows up with some sort of evidence file to dissuade the powers that be from moving forward. Whatever is being presented must be quite explosive, given that every school, outside of some Texas HS backwater for a year, has immediately turned around and called off the hire. 

I think Baylor football had a freshman player initiation that involves running a train on a girl. If they couldn’t find a willing one, they’d roofie one. 

That’s pretty heinous, if the HC knew and didn’t start a criminal investigation. (He did know and he didn’t start a CI). 

Baylor fired him and wasn’t going to pay him. Briles figured out how much silence was worn to to Baylor, and he called their bluff, threatening to talk. They paid. 

This one kind of slid under the radar- Briles’ S&C coach, Kaz Kazadi, was in the middle of all this. He ended up at SMU and Dykes brought him to TCU with him. 

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I think Baylor football had a freshman player initiation that involves running a train on a girl. If they couldn’t find a willing one, they’d roofie one. 

That’s pretty heinous, if the HC knew and didn’t start a criminal investigation. (He did know and he didn’t start a CI). 

Baylor fired him and wasn’t going to pay him. Briles figured out how much silence was worn to to Baylor, and he called their bluff, threatening to talk. They paid. 

This one kind of slid under the radar- Briles’ S&C coach, Kaz Kazadi, was in the middle of all this. He ended up at SMU and Dykes brought him to TCU with him. 

I’m not so sure about that. Baylor’s response was to burn it all down and take Lebby and Kendall with them. Baylor may have paid something, but it was absolutely minuscule compared to what Art wanted. Baylor won that game of chicken for sure. 

45 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I’m not so sure about that. Baylor’s response was to burn it all down and take Lebby and Kendall with them. Baylor may have paid something, but it was absolutely minuscule compared to what Art wanted. Baylor won that game of chicken for sure. 

Baylor was a bunch of dumb fucks no matter how you look at it.

They were dumb fucks because the administration wasn't properly handling sexual assault allegations for the general student body. We know that for a fact bc counsel for plaintiffs of recently settled lawsuits said they suits weren't about the football team, baylor was hiding behind that. That's why the suits took so long to resolve. Baylor didn't want to admit the problems were general failures of the school.

So that means that if briles didn't hide sexual assault,  they were dumb fucks for blaming him and the program so that they could hide the ineptitude of the offices / people that didn't handle general student body allegations properly.

If briles did try to hide sexual assault, they were dumb fucks for presumably not properly dealing with that.

They were dumb fucks for putting their shit out in the media. All they had to do was call an SEC team for advice on what to do when dealing with a bunch of dumb fucks on a football team. Typically something given to the media would be "no comment".

So no matter what happened there, they were dumb fucks.

Glad we gave those dumb fucks an ass kicking on the way out. Fuck them.

Since this is an ou thread - fuck ou too.

Edited by redswingline

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

I have seen plenty of Baylor fans and Briles apologists (the Venn diagram is almost a circle) say that the large amount of money paid Briles is proof that he did nothing wrong (Nevermind that they were paying for the NDA). 

If you have info, I’d love to hear it. 

Edited by statsman

Venables said today that Savion Byrd is back and practicing. 

OU is having trouble in the rushing attack and Venables fielded questions on it today. He stated that Gabriel needs to help serve as a catalyst in the running game. The hubris associated to that statement given last year is off the charts.

The truth is, if you need an okay QB runner to get your run game going, you are fucked if you can play an opponent that can disrupt with the front 3/4. Now, I don't expect ISU to do that, but Cincy did it and Texas will do it in spades. 

Beyond that, the gift that keeps on giving is Demarco Murray. He's benching guys based on practice performance and they're struggling to let any single TB find any semblance of a rhythm from week to week. They have rotated at least 4 guys there this season and it isn't due to injuries. It's just Murray making sure everyone knows "who's boss?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Venables said today that Savion Byrd is back and practicing. 

OU is having trouble in the rushing attack and Venables fielded questions on it today. He stated that Gabriel needs to help serve as a catalyst in the running game. The hubris associated to that statement given last year is off the charts.

The truth is, if you need an okay QB runner to get your run game going, you are fucked if you can play an opponent that can disrupt with the front 3/4. Now, I don't expect ISU to do that, but Cincy did it and Texas will do it in spades. 

Beyond that, the gift that keeps on giving is Demarco Murray. He's benching guys based on practice performance and they're struggling to let any single TB find any semblance of a rhythm from week to week. They have rotated at least 4 guys there this season and it isn't due to injuries. It's just Murray making sure everyone knows "who's boss?"

I can't believe they keep so many sub par coaches - mostly because they have a sub par head coach i assume? dude does NOT have a good staff, especially offensively.

their RB room doesn't do anything for me.

image.png.452ef5e7af90b6390ddf7301d0c58401.png

vs

image.png.2cca8765280e12108d0fce3ade2d24c4.png

6 hours ago, NoName said:

I can't believe they keep so many sub par coaches - mostly because they have a sub par head coach i assume? dude does NOT have a good staff, especially offensively.

their RB room doesn't do anything for me.

image.png.452ef5e7af90b6390ddf7301d0c58401.png

vs

image.png.2cca8765280e12108d0fce3ade2d24c4.png

Barnes and Sawchuk were viewed as all world recruits. I know it reflects a higher star rating for Tatum, but he's no more well thought of than those two. Both of the guys on campus are in the process of having disappointing seasons. They have each simply not received carries while suited out in multiple games already. On top of that, a guy not even listed on your chart is Tawee Walker and he's been a featured back, as well as an ignored back, in the 4 games so far. 

Now compare that to Texas and Choice giving Brooks and Baxter steady feeds, when healthy, each, and the numbers beginning to emerge for Brooks on what could be an All Big 12 season. Baxter will still get fed and brought along as long as he's recovering. Meanwhile, Robinson is getting plenty of plays mixed into the playbook as a gadget guy. Red has a whole package designed for him and Blue is getting plenty of reps late in games. 

I just hope it lasts. Murray can stay there forever and we keep Choice for awhile. Please?

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Barnes and Sawchuk were viewed as all world recruits. I know it reflects a higher star rating for Tatum, but he's no more well thought of than those two. Both of the guys on campus are in the process of having disappointing seasons. They have each simply not received carries while suited out in multiple games already. On top of that, a guy not even listed on your chart is Tawee Walker and he's been a featured back, as well as an ignored back, in the 4 games so far. 

Now compare that to Texas and Choice giving Brooks and Baxter steady feeds, when healthy, each, and the numbers beginning to emerge for Brooks on what could be an All Big 12 season. Baxter will still get fed and brought along as long as he's recovering. Meanwhile, Robinson is getting plenty of plays mixed into the playbook as a gadget guy. Red has a whole package designed for him and Blue is getting plenty of reps late in games. 

I just hope it lasts. Murray can stay there forever and we keep Choice for awhile. Please?

that's fair, its always wild to me how little the Texas and OU recruiting venn diagrams overlap.

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Meh, there’s one school in the country that has had less down time than OU in the modern era.  That’s tOSU.  I’ll take my chances that OU figures shit out.  Just nice to see a defense that’s competent.  IDGAF about offense at this point.  

at this point tOSU has some special sauce that keeps them hiring really good coaches. idk what it is but nobody is just lucky for that long

re: Venables currently has the third worst win % in the history of the OU program at 46.1%, just ahead of John Blake (35.3%) and Gomer Jones (45.2%) and just behind Lewis Hardage (48.1%) and Schnellenberger (50%) --> for comparison, Mackovic was at 59.2%, Charlie Strong was at 43.3%, Tom Herman was at 64.0% and Sark is at 58.6%

Joe C "figuring it out" is much more likely ejecting Venables and hiring a good coach than Venables suddenly making the changes he needs to make to coaching staff, hiring the right dudes and making program-wide change.

after this season, you guys are going to be right here in the Tom Herman Experience

image.thumb.png.0ecffb67211c2021fe191418ae5ac109.png

folks will see the overall record and say "see how good he did" but ignore the fact that OU has an incredibly soft schedule. the second best team on the schedule is probably Kansas?

so the coach will not have to make a bunch of changes, will double or triple down on his process and use this year as an example of how he turned it around.

then next year ends up being disappointing but there is some kind of silver lining (4 OOC games are Temple, Houston, Tulane and Maine + get South Carolina, Tenn with a new QB at home. Bama at home and play @Auburn, LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss) - OU is bowl eligible then you win a bowl game convincingly because you have more to gain than the other team (Texas beating Utah 38-10 in 2019 after they lost badly in the pac 12 championship with a potential chance to go to the 2019 CFP on the line, they were #5 in the CFP ranking)

idk how anyone can look at Venables and say "yeah, that guy is going to turn it around" when he came in, made a bunch of iffy hires, hasn't made any changes, hired a bunch of OU grads (Lebby, Finley, Hall, Murray - 4 grads seems like an incredible amount for any program), made a bunch of comfort hires (Roof, Bates, Chavis - 2 of those were good hires btw) and kept guys that were already there (good to keep Cale Gundy and Bedenbaugh) - the singular hire outside of the Clemson/OU circle was Jay fucking Valai, who Saban processed after 1 year at Alabama.

you guys have an excellent AD, he's no dummy.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

that's fair, its always wild to me how little the Texas and OU recruiting venn diagrams overlap.

at this point tOSU has some special sauce that keeps them hiring really good coaches. idk what it is but nobody is just lucky for that long

re: Venables currently has the third worst win % in the history of the OU program at 46.1%, just ahead of John Blake (35.3%) and Gomer Jones (45.2%) and just behind Lewis Hardage (48.1%) and Schnellenberger (50%) --> for comparison, Mackovic was at 59.2%, Charlie Strong was at 43.3%, Tom Herman was at 64.0% and Sark is at 58.6%

Joe C "figuring it out" is much more likely ejecting Venables and hiring a good coach than Venables suddenly making the changes he needs to make to coaching staff, hiring the right dudes and making program-wide change.

after this season, you guys are going to be right here in the Tom Herman Experience

image.thumb.png.0ecffb67211c2021fe191418ae5ac109.png

folks will see the overall record and say "see how good he did" but ignore the fact that OU has an incredibly soft schedule. the second best team on the schedule is probably Kansas?

so the coach will not have to make a bunch of changes, will double or triple down on his process and use this year as an example of how he turned it around.

then next year ends up being disappointing but there is some kind of silver lining (4 OOC games are Temple, Houston, Tulane and Maine + get South Carolina, Tenn with a new QB at home. Bama at home and play @Auburn, LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss) - OU is bowl eligible then you win a bowl game convincingly because you have more to gain than the other team (Texas beating Utah 38-10 in 2019 after they lost badly in the pac 12 championship with a potential chance to go to the 2019 CFP on the line, they were #5 in the CFP ranking)

idk how anyone can look at Venables and say "yeah, that guy is going to turn it around" when he came in, made a bunch of iffy hires, hasn't made any changes, hired a bunch of OU grads (Lebby, Finley, Hall, Murray - 4 grads seems like an incredible amount for any program), made a bunch of comfort hires (Roof, Bates, Chavis - 2 of those were good hires btw) and kept guys that were already there (good to keep Cale Gundy and Bedenbaugh) - the singular hire outside of the Clemson/OU circle was Jay fucking Valai, who Saban processed after 1 year at Alabama.

you guys have an excellent AD, he's no dummy.

Even adjusted for schedule OU had the most efficient overall team (defense and offense) after 3 weeks.  After Cincy still top 3.  You want to see big improvement year 1 to 2 and we are seeing a massive improvement - especially on D where his expertise is.  

Talking about hitting eject right now is moronic.  And lol at talking his winning % after one season, where he had a ton of talent raided.  This isn’t John Blake loading a team up with talent and taking none of it.  Jury still out.  

You guys have spent huge chunks of your history wandering the desert.  I get why you see a blip and immediately assume gloom and doom. 

edit: updated for after week 3

Edited by ChiTownDoc

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Even adjusted for schedule OU has the most efficient defense and a top 3 offense.  Prior to Cincy they were both number 1.  You want to see big improvement year 1 to 2 and we are seeing a massive improvement - especially on D where his expertise is.  

Talking about hitting eject right now is moronic.  And lol at talking his winning % after one season, where he had a ton of talent raided.  This isn’t John Blake loading a team up with talent and taking none of it.  Jury still out.  

You guys have spent huge chunks of your history wandering the desert.  I get why you see a blip and immediately assume gloom and doom. 

To be clear, you saw it too. Now you’ve seen 4-0 and you’re back to it. The posts from the last year exist though. 

The efficiency stats are inherently flawed this early in the season and OU exemplifies that to a T. 

I listened to the media fellate Venables and OU as virtually flawless after 3 games last year. Then OU played teams with a pulse and all warts were revealed. The difference this year is that OU doesn’t play a team with a pulse until game 6. It’s fine. We can all wait 11 more days. 

I don’t blame anyone for being excited about their team’s 4-0 start. I am. I am also excited about the idiot OU has manning the reins of the football program. It’s been awhile since I’ve got to witness that. We’ll see how they handle their first actual test against something other than air and mediocrity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, you saw it too. Now you’ve seen 4-0 and you’re back to it. The posts from the last year exist though. 

The efficiency stats are inherently flawed this early in the season and OU exemplifies that to a T. 

I listened to the media fellate Venables and OU as virtually flawless after 3 games last year. Then OU played teams with a pulse and all warts were revealed. The difference this year is that OU doesn’t play a team with a pulse until game 6. It’s fine. We can all wait 11 more days. 

I don’t blame anyone for being excited about their team’s 4-0 start. I am. I am also excited about the idiot OU has manning the reins of the football program. It’s been awhile since I’ve got to witness that. We’ll see how they handle their first actual test against something other than air and mediocrity. 

For sure I saw it.  But I didn’t say fire him.  Everyone says year one to two is the key.  You don’t want me to consider that?  And I said jury is out.  Not I’m all in.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Even adjusted for schedule OU has the most efficient defense and a top 3 offense.  Prior to Cincy they were both number 1.  You want to see big improvement year 1 to 2 and we are seeing a massive improvement - especially on D where his expertise is.  

FWIW, FEI has them as the #7 offense and #16 defense but a lot of that is due to their #99 schedule

guess what? your offense should look like fucking rockstars when you play the #127 DFEI team, #69 DFEI, #33 (Cincy, only scored 20) and #91 DFEI team.

the undadjusted stats are exactly what it SHOULD look like vs that schedule. look at USC (#109 SOS), Oregon (#113), Michigan (107) and Washington (112) here. UGA has played #97 SOS.

for comparison, Texas is at #22 SOS, ND is at #4, FSU is at # 32.

image.png.0731ad4438c9558896becdbd688347dd.png

i get the advanced/unadjusted stats - trust me.

ok. if that's what you got out of what i said then good luck. who knows, maybe Venables will suddenly turn it all around.

you have a coaching staff with subpar coaches and developers at key positions (CB and RB specifically), you have a ton of alums on staff, you have a coach who didn't make any changes with his comfort hires, you had a guy who had a laughably bad year last year and is going to look great this year based on an incredibly soft schedule.

but sure, i don't know shit about anyone or anything who has been in that position before, who waited too long to make a change, who saw the impact on their program, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

FWIW, FEI has them as the #7 offense and #16 defense but a lot of that is due to their #99 schedule

guess what? your offense should look like fucking rockstars when you play the #127 DFEI team, #69 DFEI, #33 (Cincy, only scored 20) and #91 DFEI team.

the undadjusted stats are exactly what it SHOULD look like vs that schedule. look at USC (#109 SOS), Oregon (#113), Michigan (107) and Washington (112) here. UGA has played #97 SOS.

for comparison, Texas is at #22 SOS, ND is at #4, FSU is at # 32.

image.png.0731ad4438c9558896becdbd688347dd.png

i get the advanced/unadjusted stats - trust me.

ok. if that's what you got out of what i said then good luck. who knows, maybe Venables will suddenly turn it all around.

you have a coaching staff with subpar coaches and developers at key positions (CB and RB specifically), you have a ton of alums on staff, you have a coach who didn't make any changes with his comfort hires, you had a guy who had a laughably bad year last year and is going to look great this year based on an incredibly soft schedule.

but sure, i don't know shit about anyone or anything who has been in that position before, who waited too long to make a change, who saw the impact on their program, etc.

My bad.  Sitting on a zoom and not reading much close.  You definitely make good points.  So does CTJ.  I just think there’s some reason for optimism.  All good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:02 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Even adjusted for schedule OU had the most efficient overall team (defense and offense) after 3 weeks.  After Cincy still top 3.  You want to see big improvement year 1 to 2 and we are seeing a massive improvement - especially on D where his expertise is.  

edit: updated for after week 3

Yeah.  The OU rebuild is going well. The head-scratching sideline communication issues from a year ago have not resurfaced.  The defense is quite a bit better.  Recruiting is better than it was under Riley.  Lebby is a downgrade as an OC from Riley. He seems like a guy who knows how to build the car but not how to drive it.  Riley also dug him a huge hole in the QB room to climb out of, so maybe some of that looks better with Arnold at QB.  The one big question mark I have about OU going forward is at OL.  They start slow up front every year and around the midway mark flip a switch and start playing well.  It's a Bedenbaugh staple and has happened under Heupel, Riley, and now Lebby.  You can get away with that in the Big 12 but it'll get you beat early next year. 

If OU can get the run blocking switch flipped in the next couple of weeks, they're an 11 win team given the light schedule after Texas.  If not, then they're still probably a 9 or 10 win team with the rebuild still on track.            

• 47 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  The OU rebuild is going well. The head-scratching sideline communication issues from a year ago have not resurfaced.  The defense is quite a bit better.  Recruiting is better than it was under Riley.  Lebby is a downgrade as an OC from Riley. He seems like a guy who knows how to build the car but not how to drive it.  Riley also dug him a huge hole in the QB room to climb out of, so maybe some of that looks better with Arnold at QB.  The one big question mark I have about OU going forward is at OL.  They start slow up front every year and around the midway mark flip a switch and start playing well.  It's a Bedenbaugh staple and has happened under Heupel, Riley, and now Lebby.  You can get away with that in the Big 12 but it'll get you beat early next year. 

If OU can get the run blocking switch flipped in the next couple of weeks, they're an 11 win team given the light schedule after Texas.  If not, then they're still probably a 9 or 10 win team with the rebuild still on track.           

idk how anyone can say anything definitive after the dumpster fire that was 2022 and the schedule you guys have had so far this year.

"recruiting is better than it was under Riley"

• 17: #8
  • 18: 9
  • 19: 6
  • 20: 13
  • 21: 10
  • 22: 8
  • 23 YTD: currently 5...Florida has almost the same avg with 4 fewer recruits. USC has a better avg with 2 fewer recruits. ND has a better avg with 3 fewer recruits. A&M has a better avg with just 15 recruits. there is also almost no hope of beating tOSU at this point as they have 5 fewer recruits, more point and an average that's almost points higher than OU.

Assuming you guys finish at 5 is a huge stretch at this point. Long way to go to NSD1 and 2.

He seems like a guy who knows how to build the car but not how to drive it.

he's literally the other end and has been his whole career. he's a guy who drives the car but doesn't build it. Baylor was all Briles. UCF was Gus Malzahn. Ole Miss was Lane Kiffin.

this is the first time as a coach where he has ever had to build the car.

image.png.ddf1c50905490c823cc9b7798c623f16.png

he one big question mark I have about OU going forward is at OL. 

yeah. you can't say you are having a good rebuild then say stuff like this. it simply doesn't work that way, not in the B12 and absolutely not in the SEC, as you pointed out.

first time GIF

ask me how i know...

Spoiler

Warehiem:

warehime_derek_2017_web.jpg&width=300&ty

Wickline:

wickline_joe_2014_30.jpg&width=300&type=

again: no clue how the rebuild is actually going.

Year 1 was was the worst OU season since John Blake was on campus. You guys have the #80 SOS this year per FPI, whats left on the schedule is in the 40s (Texas is at 26 ROS for comparison) so who knows what exactly you can tell after this year.

i will say this: if Venables doesn't win 10 games this year you should tarmac him in Provo after the BYU game.

The beauty of this shitty schedule for OU is two-fold and applies to this year and next year:

1) OU will not be seriously tested until they're well into conference play this season. They will not be seriously tested next season until week 4 at the earliest, and maybe longer again. They have no idea who the fuck they are this year and neither does anyone else.

OU entitlement and media laziness may create the notion that OU is really good for both the program and those watching, but that means fuck-all when the straps are tightened against comparable or better talent. The first time they will be facing any kind of team speed on either side of the ball will be in the Cotton Bowl. The first time they will be meeting their physical match or better from a strength and size perspective will be in the Cotton Bowl.

On top of that, no one has any clue how that team is going to react when they get punched in the mouth. That coaching staff literally quit coaching in the second half of the RRS last year. Those players quit accordingly. They've played the bully really well this year, they always do. When they've faced a little pushback from two teams that are not their physical match and certainly not nearly as talented, OU got tight and played not to lose.

None of that should provide okies any confidence, but they can't help themselves.

2) A 10-3 record for OU this year and another one like it next year will be illusory due to schedule softness. Doesn't matter. Venables looks sure to get 4 years up there, if not 5. There were numerous sooners on this board saying that Joe C would make a change quickly because it's clear that Venables isn't the guy. 4 years in role, if he really isn't the guy, is enough to start cracking the foundation. Yes, please.

Edited by closetojumping
this ain't dinner. role/roll.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I guess it’s possible we will serious suck dick and have UT’s 10 year stretch.  Happy to put up to a million dollars on that not happening.  

you have a you have a significantly better AD. you have a much more aligned AD. you don't have that part of the shitshow that was part of the worst decade in Texas football history.

yeah, you guys are quite unlikely to have a 10 year shitshow of a stretch. but if you think it can't happen to you you are out of your mind. yeah, the portal exists but 2 subpar coaching hires (or 1 bad and one ok hire even) can fuck you.

if you are going to sit here and say that Venables was the #1 choice for Joe C and the Athletic Dept then IDK what to say at that point. first time ever head coaches struggle. how quickly they move on from their shitty hires is a good barometer if they are going to be good and makes changes or not.

he hasn't handled the staff well and there are some absolute shitshows on it (and good hires to be fair) - but keeping Murray after last year was a joke. Keeping Valai is a joke. those dudes are not good coaches, recruiters or developers. full stop. hiring one guy out of your circle or the OU circle screams comfort hires (and the one guy was Jay Valai.)

maybe Venables will show that he's the guy. but very, very, very rarely do coaches have THAT bad of a dumpster fire of a first year and turn it around.

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I guess it’s possible we will serious suck dick and have UT’s 10 year stretch.  Happy to put up to a million dollars on that not happening.  

The identity of both the state and OU, the institution, are too heavily tied to OU football for there to be a likelihood of a 10 year stretch like that of whatever 10 out of 13 seasons where Texas sucked balls from 2010-2022 you want to pick. Castiglione, as long as he is around, is usually going to get the hire right or close enough. 

That said, I don't think Venables is the right guy and I am enjoying you guys buying into him. I can look forward to a possible 4-6 year stretch of frustration before you guys hire the next Stoops, whether y'all like it or not. 

Ohio State is the Warren Buffett of college football. There was always going to be one program that just seemed to always get it right and have things fall into place for them at the HC level. They almost always pick winners. 9 losing seasons in 123 years is phenomenal. I hope that shit ends and they burn in CFB hell for the next century, but they seem blessed by the CFB gods.

I don't see OU that way even though they've been bested in the last 80 years by OSU and pretty much no one else. You're not immune to a terrible stretch even with the importance of the program to the state and admin. NIL removes one of OU's go-to remedies historically and playing in the SEC punishes any program that makes a mistake and let's it fester for 4+ years. I still wouldn't bet against OU righting things immediately if Venables does wind up sucking wind, nonetheless. Not more than $1k, at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The identity of both the state and OU, the institution, are too heavily tied to OU football for there to be a likelihood of a 10 year stretch like that of whatever 10 out of 13 seasons where Texas sucked balls from 2010-2022 you want to pick. Castiglione, as long as he is around, is usually going to get the hire right or close enough. 

That said, I don't think Venables is the right guy and I am enjoying you guys buying into him. I can look forward to a possible 4-6 year stretch of frustration before you guys hire the next Stoops, whether y'all like it or not. 

Ohio State is the Warren Buffett of college football. There was always going to be one program that just seemed to always get it right and have things fall into place for them at the HC level. They almost always pick winners. 9 losing seasons in 123 years is phenomenal. I hope that shit ends and they burn in CFB hell for the next century, but they seem blessed by the CFB gods.

I don't see OU that way even though they've been bested in the last 80 years by OSU and pretty much no one else. You're not immune to a terrible stretch even with the importance of the program to the state and admin. NIL removes one of OU's go-to remedies historically and playing in the SEC punishes any program that makes a mistake and let's it fester for 4+ years. I still wouldn't bet against OU righting things immediately if Venables does wind up sucking wind, nonetheless. Not more than $1k, at least. 

Im here bc OU fans only care about football and it’s all many of them have.  Totally agree with that post.  It’s just too important to suck for long - but look at NE.  Ha

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Im here bc OU fans only care about football and it’s all many of them have.  Totally agree with that post.  It’s just too important to suck for long - but look at NE.  Ha

I'm here because the majority of OU fans online are painfully unfunny and have no sense of self-deprecation about how ridiculous college football is, whether it's going well or poorly.

Plus, getting someone else's point of view of what's happening in the program is always entertaining, and sometimes enlightening.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

OU can and will suck complete ass for extended periods of time, don't go sucking off that sooner prick to make him feel better about his shitty 49-0 team. They wandered most of the 90's looking like limp dicked losers much more likely to win 5 games a season rather than 9. This abso-fucking-lutely could be the start of an extended down period for those bitches up north. Remember how Texas had an all-world AD who couldn't miss for 15 years, until all of the sudden he was a huge liability.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

Regarding OU's injuries, as relayed on the OU 247 board:

-Byrd is back to practicing without restrictions.

-Kanak's injury sounds a lot worse than it apparently is. He could play this week but there are rumblings that they'll hold him back until Texas. If this dude were my kid, I'd want to know for certain that that injury has completely healed. But I'm not a doctor. I'm in hydraulics at high altitudes. It just sounds ugly as a layman.

-The mods can't get anything concrete about Pearson. That usually means the player isn't ready to return. Again, they think this guy might be held out against ISU only to return against Texas, but it looks more like wishcasting than certainty on this one.

-Harrington is now rumored to not have had a season-ending injury. What they're assuming is that he'll miss ISU and Texas but return after their bye week.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

OU can and will suck complete ass for extended periods of time, don't go sucking off that sooner prick to make him feel better about his shitty 49-0 team. They wandered most of the 90's looking like limp dicked losers much more likely to win 5 games a season rather than 9. This abso-fucking-lutely could be the start of an extended down period for those bitches up north. Remember how Texas had an all-world AD who couldn't miss for 15 years, until all of the sudden he was a huge liability.

OU had an 8 season stretch from 1992-1999 in which they were largely mediocre. In that period, they had 3 winning seasons, 2 .500 seasons and 3 losing season. Then they won the national title in 2000. Only a fucktard thinks that stretch comes close to matching the futility of what Texas put on display between 2010-2022. 5 losing seasons and never losing less than 4 games is a blue blood hellscape over a 13 season stretch.

No shit we'd all like to see the wheels come totally flying off in Norman but there is not historic analog to justify that as anything but hope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, NoName said:

rarely do coaches have THAT bad of a dumpster fire of a first year and turn it around.

You keep saying this, and I'm not saying it's a lock Venables is the dude, but OU was still a Top 25 team in efficiency measures last year, the record was obv ugly going an unsustainable (unless you're Scott Frost) 0-5 in one score games. The only games OU wasn't in were a game on the road against a team that played for the national title where OU's only QB was hurt in the first half, and in the Cotton Bowl against a good team out for blood with OU starting one of the worst P5 QBs in this century.

Nick Saban literally lost 7 games his first season at Bama, including a home loss to La-Monroe.  Bob Stoops won one more game his first year than Venables did. Fickell went 6-6 his first and only season at tOSU. Again, not saying he's those guys, but acting like it's impossible he's not terrible b/c OU lost a huge lead in Lubbock at night and a wire to wire bowl game against a team in direct CFP consideration this year is silly. Win those 2 and he's 8-5 and then what? Impossible to be good from 8-5 taking over after a massive program upheaval?

I do hope all you guys that are so sure are dumping thousands and thousands of dollars on that free TX -5.5 money. 

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You keep saying this, and I'm not saying it's a lock Venables is the dude, but OU was still a Top 25 team in efficiency measures last year, the record was obv ugly going an unsustainable (unless you're Scott Frost) 0-5 in one score games. The only games OU wasn't in were a game on the road against a team that played for the national title where OU's only QB was hurt in the first half, and in the Cotton Bowl against a good team out for blood with OU starting one of the worst P5 QBs in this century.

Nick Saban literally lost 7 games his first season at Bama, including a home loss to La-Monroe.  Bob Stoops won one more game his first year than Venables did. Fickell went 6-6 his first and only season at tOSU. Again, not saying he's those guys, but acting like it's impossible he's not terrible b/c OU lost a huge lead in Lubbock at night and a wire to wire bowl game against a team in direct CFP consideration this year is silly. Win those 2 and he's 8-5 and then what? Impossible to be good from 8-5 taking over after a massive program upheaval?

I do hope all you guys that are so sure are dumping thousands and thousands of dollars on that free TX -5.5 money. 

Saban also didn't take over a school that had finished 11-2 the season prior, either.