Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

A week ago, my son's flight back home was delayed a couple of hours -- we already had to be in the airport area for another errand, so we had some time to kill.  Went to the new Pinthouse up on Ben White. One of their menu items is a fried bologna sandwich topped with pimento cheese and serrano relish.  Dude.....it was GOOD.  Ain't nuthin' wrong with a fried bologna sammich.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Well, shit, gotta rep for a fried bologna sammich with spicy brown mustard.

I have an 8 year old boy. My ex (his mom) only eats like super healthy organic food. So when's with me (we have joint custody, so 3 or 4 nights a week)  he always wants junk food. I've been trying my best to take those foods and teach him how to a)cook and b) make them a little heathier or at least not just fast food. For instance, a few months ago he wanted chicken nuggets from McDonalds. Instead I showed him how to make fried chicken tenders. Fun times.

Yesterday we went to the store and he grabbed a pre-slices pack of bologna. Me " You want a bologna sandwich, I show you a fucking bologna sandwich. Put that shit back."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A week ago, my son's flight back home was delayed a couple of hours -- we already had to be in the airport area for another errand, so we had some time to kill.  Went to the new Pinthouse up on Ben White. One of their menu items is a fried bologna sandwich topped with pimento cheese and serrano relish.  Dude.....it was GOOD.  Ain't nuthin' wrong with a fried bologna sammich.

Damn. I wish I thought of the pimento cheese. That sounds excellent

Just now, Jameslaw121 said:

Damn. I wish I thought of the pimento cheese. That sounds excellent

Well, we're always learning, and improving our craft.  I think that pimento cheese with some thinly sliced fresh jalapeno, for that green crunch and bite, would be a perfect accompaniment (the serrano relish was nice, but needed something more).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I have an 8 year old boy. My ex (his mom) only eats like super healthy organic food. So when's with me (we have joint custody, so 3 or 4 nights a week)  he always wants junk food. I've been trying my best to take those foods and teach him how to a)cook and b) make them a little heathier or at least not just fast food. For instance, a few months ago he wanted chicken nuggets from McDonalds. Instead I showed him how to make fried chicken tenders. Fun times.

Yesterday we went to the store and he grabbed a pre-slices pack of bologna. Me " You want a bologna sandwich, I show you a fucking bologna sandwich. Put that shit back."

Well done, dad.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Had no idea that existed.  Entire menu looks pretty good.  Will check it out.

Father of the year stuff here. What’s next, biscuits and gravy? It’s essential.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

You're parenting skills, excellent they are.  

16 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I can not for the life of my make good cream gravy. I've probably tried a 100 times and still can't get it right.

Man.  It's literally one of the easiest things in the world.  You just make a redneck bechamel: tablespoon or two of bacon or sausage grease, same amount of flour, whisk together over medium high heat for a minute or two, lower the heat to medium, whisk in cold milk, let it come up to a simmer for a few minutes to thicken.  If you need to, you can add more milk to get the right consistency (so don't add too much milk the first go-round).  Recipes with proportions are out there.  Add some salt and coarse pepper at the end, and you're set.

• Hook 'Em 2

I only like pimento cheese solo.  And I really prefer it as a cracker dipper instead of a sandwich filler.

Any time I have gotten it as a topping on a sandwich or burger I would have rather just had a slice of cheese.

I can't be alone in this.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

I only like pimento cheese solo.  And I really prefer it as a cracker dipper instead of a sandwich filler.

Any time I have gotten it as a topping on a sandwich or burger I would have rather just had a slice of cheese.

I can't be alone in this.

If it's gonna be on a sandwich, it's gotta be good pimento cheese, preferably made with a sharp cheddar.

As for the classic "I'ma have me some pimento cheese on saltines" accompaniment.....it's hard to beat this stuff, available at Costco:

3851112.jpg?versionId=knfGoiJPL3GKDAqfg8

Wanna take it to 11?   Top each cheese-topped cracker with an additional jalapeno slice (fresh or pickled, two different approaches).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If it's gonna be on a sandwich, it's gotta be good pimento cheese, preferably made with a sharp cheddar.

As for the classic "I'ma have me some pimento cheese on saltines" accompaniment.....it's hard to beat this stuff, available at Costco:

Wanna take it to 11?   Top each cheese-topped cracker with an additional jalapeno slice (fresh or pickled, two different approaches).

the rosemary parmesan version from HEB is interesting too

3851112.jpg?versionId=knfGoiJPL3GKDAqfg882eOeQKb30uewp

I’m really particular about pimento cheese and don’t usually eat any but homemade. Usually store bought is mild cheese, too sweet, and overly mayo’d. I grate my own cheese, use Dukes mayo, and try to roast my own peppers. Usually put green onions and fresh japs in mine.

I hate the typical white bread pimento cheese sandwich. I prefer spreading it in crunchy rough textured garlic bread. Or on crackers. Or try on spiced pecans. A horsedoover that will knock your dick in the dirt.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m really particular about pimento cheese and don’t usually eat any but homemade. Usually store bought is mild cheese, too sweet, and overly mayo’d. I grate my own cheese, use Dukes mayo, and try to roast my own peppers. Usually put green onions and fresh japs in mine.

I hate the typical white bread pimento cheese sandwich. I prefer spreading it in crunchy rough textured garlic bread. Or on crackers. Or try on spiced pecans. A horsedoover that will knock your dick in the dirt.

Rock on, muthfuckaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes a simple grilled cheese just hits the spot. Just bread, butter, and cheese. Kid asked for them for dinner, and I happily obliged.

30239a0df94173efd2657c04dd4e57f4.jpg

My generation grew up on them with tomato soup. Why? Because Campbells sponsored Lassie, and Lassie said tell mom you want a grilled cheese and Campbell’s tomato soup.

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My generation grew up on them with tomato soup. Why? Because Campbells sponsored Lassie, and Lassie said tell mom you want a grilled cheese and Campbell’s tomato soup.

And, dipping your grilled cheese sammich in the soup is delicious.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, baboso said:

And, dipping your grilled cheese sammich in the soup is delicious.

Indeed.  Goldfish make a nice addition to tomato soup as well, with Cheez*it a tasty alternative on the off-chance the house is out of Goldfish 

Edited by Dutch

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I know there’s a thread for Shit HEB makes…. But this is the stuff you want:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-jalapeno-pimento-cheese-spread/3565015

Edited by Etexhorn13
Tried to add the picture but it didn’t work…

12 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Funny you should say, because my girlfriend and I were out to lunch a couple weeks ago and she ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato basil soup, and I asked, "I wonder who came up with that pairing, because it's so simple yet so genius." 

spacer.png

As I've gotten older and more SO-phisticated, I've gotten to making my own grilled cheese using whatever various cheeses we have in the cheese drawer (so maybe a mix of sharp cheddar, aged gouda, and even a slice of American for creaminess), and I even make my own tomato soup (super easy as well, using lots of onions, butter, and canned tomatoes).  But the bottom line remains....the genius of a good grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup is an American treasure.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As I've gotten older and more SO-phisticated, I've gotten to making my own grilled cheese using whatever various cheeses we have in the cheese drawer (so maybe a mix of sharp cheddar, aged gouda, and even a slice of American for creaminess), and I even make my own tomato soup (super easy as well, using lots of onions, butter, and canned tomatoes).  But the bottom line remains....the genius of a good grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup is an American treasure.

On the subject of using leftover cheeses, have you ever tried a fromage fort?  It's simple yet fucking awesome, and an easy way to impress dinner guests right of the bat with an appetizer.  Probably too fancy for this thread.

Here's a Jacques Pepin recipe.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fromage-fort

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

On the subject of using leftover cheeses, have you ever tried a fromage fort?  It's simple yet fucking awesome, and an easy way to impress dinner guests right of the bat with an appetizer.  Probably too fancy for this thread.

Here's a Jacques Pepin recipe.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fromage-fort

When I was a kid, I used to build fromage forts out of Kraft singles.  That's what you're talking about, right?

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, Brisketexan said:

Man.  It's literally one of the easiest things in the world.  You just make a redneck bechamel: tablespoon or two of bacon or sausage grease, same amount of flour, whisk together over medium high heat for a minute or two, lower the heat to medium, whisk in cold milk, let it come up to a simmer for a few minutes to thicken.  If you need to, you can add more milk to get the right consistency (so don't add too much milk the first go-round).  Recipes with proportions are out there.  Add some salt and coarse pepper at the end, and you're set.

"Some" coarse pepper? Sir, I denounce your methodologies and proportions. 

Somewhat seriously, I'm uncertain if it's possible to put too much black pepper in country gravy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

"Some" coarse pepper? Sir, I denounce your methodologies and proportions. 

Somewhat seriously, I'm uncertain if it's possible to put too much black pepper in country gravy.

I can be that way when the waiter offers fresh cracked pepper on some delicious food item -- they say "say when" and I respond "no."

• Haha 1

Funny you should say, because my girlfriend and I were out to lunch a couple weeks ago and she ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato basil soup, and I asked, "I wonder who came up with that pairing, because it's so simple yet so genius." 
giphy.gif

My wife and I grew up 500 miles apart but both of us were served tomato soup and grilled cheese as Lassie came on. It helped sooth the tears as Lassie helped out a baby skunk find its mom or kept on her journey walking a thousand miles back home after being left behind at a gas station. If I’d had Lassie she would have been driving the station wagon.