Car Washes

Royalfan5

42 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

There has been a significant proliferation of fancy tunnel car washes around me lately with more coming. Are car washes are really good business and I just didn’t realize it or is it a piece of some bigger real estate thing or what

WSJ had an article a couple years ago about PE rolling up car wash companies, which per the article are highly fragmented.

I would guess that roll up activity has unleashed some organization with a boat load of capital to chase car wash market share.

I’ve known a couple guys who owned car washes as a side business.  Both made a good money with it and both were dealing with  car wash bullshit all day, every day.  Broken equipment, polluted water drainage requirements and inspections, a constant rotating door of minimum wage employees not showing up, more broken equipment.  From what I could tell they both worked a lot harder than I ever care too.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Incredulity said:

WSJ had an article a couple years ago about PE rolling up car wash companies, which per the article are highly fragmented.

I would guess that roll up activity has unleashed some organization with a boat load of capital to chase car wash market share.

Our independent sponsor rolled up 38 across AZ and CO.    

12 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I’ve known a couple guys who owned car washes as a side business.  Both made a good money with it and both were dealing with  car wash bullshit all day, every day.  Broken equipment, polluted water drainage requirements and inspections, a constant rotating door of minimum wage employees not showing up, more broken equipment.  From what I could tell they both worked a lot harder than I ever care too.  

Heard the same - not as much fun and people expect them to be.  During the winter all the truck-bro's coming back from the lease with enough mud on them to clog a storm drain.  

If I was going to invest in a passive investment I'd look at long term storage facilities.  Even the small ones are almost always at capacity.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Heard the same - not as much fun and people expect them to be.  During the winter all the truck-bro's coming back from the lease with enough mud on them to clog a storm drain.  

If I was going to invest in a passive investment I'd look at long term storage facilities.  Even the small ones are almost always at capacity.  

Yeah, would love to have Boat/RV near a lake or retirement community.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Yeah, would love to have Boat/RV near a lake or retirement community.  

Guy on our street is renting and has a pair of jet skis on a trailer.  Too wide for the carport.  Can't leave them in the driveway as the HOA is a bunch of a-holes.  Nothing around can take them.  Guy's desperate and the elasticity of his pricing and willingness to pay is through the roof.  Has a small business and would up trailering them to his office and locking them in the parking lot with cables and wheel locks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:45 AM, BabaYaga said:

Guy on our street is renting and has a pair of jet skis on a trailer.  Too wide for the carport.  Can't leave them in the driveway as the HOA is a bunch of a-holes.  Nothing around can take them.  Guy's desperate and the elasticity of his pricing and willingness to pay is through the roof.  Has a small business and would up trailering them to his office and locking them in the parking lot with cables and wheel locks.  

I keep both a boat and an TT in one (when not hunting season).  The guy we use has 3 different lots all within 5 miles of each other.  650 units.  $175/per.  There probably 15 similar places within a 10 mile radius, actually, probably more than that. I called on 10 places when I was looking.  

On 8/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, BabaYaga said:

They're only passive if your only work is logging onto your bank's website to see a dividend deposit into your account.

Instead of buying/owning a storage facility, it's much easier to buy stock in someone who does. If you have to spend a minute managing said facility, it's far from passive. And I'm not talking about the IRS definition but common sense definition.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They're only passive if your only work is logging onto your bank's website to see a dividend deposit into your account.

Instead of buying/owning a storage facility, it's much easier to buy stock in someone who does. If you have to spend a minute managing said facility, it's far from passive. And I'm not talking about the IRS definition but common sense definition.

Agreed - you can say the same for most investments, up to and not including owner occupied housing (via shared appreciation down payment programs)

I was thinking more rural areas with facilities that have no stock options.  

A few years ago, a guy that owns several self-storage and RV/boat lots in NE Travis county told me RV/boat lots throw off about $3,000/ac/month and the self-storage (not climate controlled) throws off about $10,000/ac/month.  Those both could be a little higher now.

I’ve always figured that self-serve car wash equipment must get abused by the customers. When I used to hit up those places, it frequently seemed like something was broken. And a full service location must always have employee issues. I would assume a reliable manager(s) and repair service is key. 

For full service, the key must be the recurring car wash plans. I subscribe to one and they’ve made a killing from me this summer with zero rain. In rainier times, I will go a couple of times per week.

From an investment standpoint isn’t the main consideration how much it takes to get started. Pay a low upfront amount then the operational issues aren’t as critical. Pay a higher amount, then you’re sweating when Bay 3’s coin collector is down for a week.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie