2023 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

13 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought they just were not allowed to show their flag, so Medvedev does not have a flag, or abbreviation, for Russia next to his name. I think the same happened to a Belarusian gal.

Got ya. Yeah, she did not. I assumed a ban was, ya know, like a real ban. 

Either way NFL starts on Sunday so few will be watching the open. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Got ya. Yeah, she did not. I assumed a ban was, ya know, like a real ban. 

Either way NFL starts on Sunday so few will be watching the open. 

Fuck the NFL. Some of us actually prefer tennis over the NFL.  Hell I’d watch a WTA 500 over a rando NFL game. 

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Djokovic’s taunt after match point was hilarious. Shelton had that coming. He poked the bear and the bear apparently noticed.

I was out all day what happened ?

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Fuck the NFL. Some of us actually prefer tennis over the NFL.  Hell I’d watch a WTA 500 over a rando NFL game. 

https://nypost.com/2023/09/08/novak-djokovic-mocks-ben-shelton-after-us-open-semifinal-win/

I don’t blame him at all for doing that. Shelton deserved more than that, but that was really funny. 

• Like 1

https://nypost.com/2023/09/08/novak-djokovic-mocks-ben-shelton-after-us-open-semifinal-win/

I don’t blame him at all for doing that. Shelton deserved more than that, but that was really funny. 

Ha. What do you think Shelton fully deserved for his celebration infractions?

Novak should at least have the balls to own up to it…”I thought it was really cool, I copied him”. Same Novak story - still mad the crowd doesn’t love him like Roger and Rafa and is apparently miffed that the NY crowd was pumped on a 20 year old American newcomer in his 1st year on tour.

Meanwhile Shelton said if you win you should be able to celebrate how you want.

Maybe Ben should adopt the shirt rip and expose his nipples off for all to see.

53 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Ha. What do you think Shelton fully deserved for his celebration infractions?

Novak should at least have the balls to own up to it…”I thought it was really cool, I copied him”. Same Novak story - still mad the crowd doesn’t love him like Roger and Rafa and is apparently miffed that the NY crowd was pumped on a 20 year old American newcomer in his 1st year on tour.

Meanwhile Shelton said if you win you should be able to celebrate how you want.

Maybe Ben should adopt the shirt rip and expose his nipples off for all to see.

I am usually pretty indifferent towards athletes that are showmen and don’t care. I’ve never been the old man yelling at clouds, especially since I find Deion’s three ring circus at Colorado entertaining. However, Djokovic was absolutely slaughtering Shelton start to finish and Novak was standing there watching celebrations the entire match. He watched the young fella throw tantrums throughout the match as well. It was embarrassing to watch just as a fan, much less anyone associated with him that had to watch the immaturity on display. He gave off a strong entitled douchebro vibe which, yes, is harsh to say, but that is how Shelton came across yesterday. So yes Novak was more than justified in making fun of him. I do not care much for Djokovic as Alcaraz is why I pay attention to men’s tennis. Shelton decided to poke the bear for two solid hours and he got owned throughput the match and with the post match celebration.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

I am usually pretty indifferent towards athletes that are showmen and don’t care. I’ve never been the old man yelling at clouds, especially since I find Deion’s three ring circus at Colorado entertaining. However, Djokovic was absolutely slaughtering Shelton start to finish and Novak was standing there watching celebrations the entire match. He watched the young fella throw tantrums throughout the match as well. It was embarrassing to watch just as a fan, much less anyone associated with him that had to watch the immaturity on display. He gave off a strong entitled douchebro vibe which, yes, is harsh to say, but that is how Shelton came across yesterday. So yes Novak was more than justified in making fun of him. I do not care much for Djokovic as Alcaraz is why I pay attention to men’s tennis. Shelton decided to poke the bear for two solid hours and he got owned throughput the match and with the post match celebration.

Interesting. I wasn’t able to watch the match yesterday until I caught the end of the 3rd set when it was pretty entertaining. I’ve watched a decent amount of Shelton matches this season and don’t remember any entitled tantrums (beyond the normal tennis player stuff).
He does come off as bro at times but I love his game.

I thought an apt punishment for the loser of the Tiafoe-Shelton match would be that they are relegated to wearing shirts with sleeves for a year.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ho lee fuk, ESPN & USO are bummin'. 

And just like that, the US OPEN officially ends on Saturday with Coco Gauff facing Arena[sic] Sabalenka before the first NFL Big Sunday!

The sooner that an old lady from Brooklyn/ Queens/ The Bronx shoved Novak in front of a bus or subway car, the sooner we can move on to the Post Next Gen kids and their post-modern/retro muscle T’s and their big toothy smiles.

Sinister toothpicks from the Balkans are best found in the digital textbooks of a post-Tito Yugoslavia / Balkan Civil War class, not on the surfaces on tennis’ Grand Slams’ center courts.

50 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Interesting. I wasn’t able to watch the match yesterday until I caught the end of the 3rd set when it was pretty entertaining. I’ve watched a decent amount of Shelton matches this season and don’t remember any entitled tantrums (beyond the normal tennis player stuff).

I thought an apt punishment for the loser of the Tiafoe-Shelton match would be that they are relegated to wearing shirts with sleeves for a year.

John Wayne Agree GIF by GritTV

2 hours ago, nycHorn said:

The end brought some entertainment mainly due to Shelton finally deciding that hitting a single versus going for the three run homer on every return was a better strategy against Djokovic. Novak was rallying him to death and Shelton does not yet possess the patience required to beat someone like that. Shelton’s overall game seems like it can be fun to watch. He just has to mature some. I try to remember that Shelton is your average 20 year old when it comes to maturity upstairs and that Alcaraz is the exception here at the same age. 

The shirt thing I had no idea they could go sleeveless. That has been a new one for me seeing that.

Just saw Aryna on the practice court (on TV) wearing a pair of cycling shorts.  She has a nicer ass than I expected.  Thus, I want her to win.

(Edit: There's a crazy looking lady singing "America the Beautiful."  I turned on the sound and learned she sings pretty damned well).

Edited by Bullneck

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Arnya already up a break after the first game. She's looking to blow Coco off the court.

Brilliant and inconsistant by turns. By that I mean every other time she hits something brilliant, and the next game something brain dead. Love her. :)

Edited by Welshy

18 hours ago, troph said:

Agree. Would certainly watch any grand slam over NFL, and probably any 1000. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

It’s absolutely turned the match.  You see her force at least two or three extra shots per point.

She was pumping her fist on a lost point that went 3 shots longer for sabalenka. My coach would be going ape shit over that - that’s exactly how you should feel when you stretch a point like that. 

How awesome is this?!?! I wish I had gone out there today to watch the match! This win could not have happened to a more deserving person. It’s so hard to believe she is still only 19 with the game she has and how she carries herself. I can’t wait to watch her run roughshod over women’s tennis for the next 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Boy, that was exciting. Helluva victory for Medvedev.

Just catching up but that game in the fourth set where Medvedev finally broke was such an epic struggle. Edge of your seat stuff. Medvedev is a hard court absolute beast. 

9 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Boy, that’ll show ‘em!

Nothing like some good sports virtue signaling!

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

have you never seen rafa play even on tv?

I have watched him, but I am so used to seeing sleeves on shirts that what they wear all just becomes the same to me. I also did not watch much of the Big 3 era because I had no rooting interest in any of them. 

Edited by UpperWestside

35 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what.  it blows my mind you like tennis but didn't like to watch them play even if only for the high level of tennis they played.

I was in a different place in life and tennis was not a part of it. Not real hard to understand. I just rarely watched the sport during their heyday. I had other priorities and to be honest I watched very little in the way of sports overall during most of those years.