College Football Playoff Teams - 2023 Version

closetojumping

Georgia

Michigan

Clemson

Texas

i'm pretty confident in the top two and didn't want to pick ohio state.  i agree that bama should be semi-down this year, don't think they'll be a serious playoff contender.  also agree that there will be several good teams in the pac 12 that beat each other up and all end up on the outside looking in.  who knows with notre dame?  i do like hartman and they looked really good against navy, but yeah navy looked horrible too.  gave clemson the slight nod over fsu, but wouldn't surprise me if it was ultimately fsu in their spot.

I must have battered Longhorn fan syndrome. We have a dumb jock for a head coach. Until he gives up play calling we ain’t makin No playoffs. 

200.gif

In other words, PLEASE give me some kool aid. 
I agree with this. Did we get a new head coach? I'm not even confident we win the shitty conference, much less get to the playoffs.

I must have battered Longhorn fan syndrome. We have a dumb jock for a head coach. Until he gives up play calling we ain’t makin No playoffs. 

200.gif

In other words, PLEASE give me some kool aid. 

I’m as down on Sark the HC as anyone but I don’t get the “Sark is an elite OC but mediocre HC, so he should stop doing what he is really good at” line of thinking.

The answer, if there is one, isn’t to have Sark focus exclusively on doing what he’s not so good at. It’s hiring the appropriate staff to help him manage the game while maintaining the competitive advantage of having one of the best OC’s in the sport.
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Both Clemson and FSU have pretty solid schedules. What do you do if they split and both end up 12-1? If it was Big 10/sec then both make it, but other conferences don't get that benefit of the doubt. I guess it's dependent on what else happens, but both have far tougher schedules than UGA or UM

I don't know if I agree that Clemson has anything resembling a tough schedule. 

Tough games: FSU, yes. Notre Dame? Maybe, but there's risk on this one not being up to that level as the season unfolds. North Carolina? See Notre Dame.

Decent Match-ups: South Carolina, Miami, NC State, Duke (will Duke get credit as a decent-to-tough match-up?)

Weak or iffy games: Wake (they're starting a 5'10" program guy at QB), Syracuse, FAU, Charleston Southern, Ga Tech

You're going to need ND, NC, and probably two of the "decent match-ups" to turn into good seasons for those teams. That gets you 4-5 credible quality wins to argue for Clemson's 12-1 fate versus that of a 11-1/12-1 Michigan/Georgia/Tenn.

An 11-1/12-1 Texas, Bama, PSU, Ohio State or FSU has a clear argument over Clemson by virtue of schedule. Bama plays Texas, UTenn, LSU, and probably a title game against UGA. If they're 12-1, they're in. All a 12-1 Texas would need, provided it won its conference, is for OU, TCU, KSU and maybe one other Big 12 team to be 8-4 or better and ranked to go along with the Bama game. FSU has the LSU game. PSU plays Iowa plus the Big 10 East. If they're 11-1 with that, they've got a great shot at getting in. OSU isn't much different, having ND and subbing Wiscy for Iowa.

Also, brands matter a ton. The ACC is currently viewed as the 5th conference, whether fair or not. While Clemson's individual brand has clearly increased in value, is it enough to match up with Texas, Michigan, OSU, or Bama if their records are the same? That's a tough argument to make.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know if I agree that Clemson has anything resembling a tough schedule. 

Tough games: FSU, yes. Notre Dame? Maybe, but there's risk on this one not being up to that level as the season unfolds. North Carolina? See Notre Dame.

Decent Match-ups: South Carolina, Miami, NC State, Duke (will Duke get credit as a decent-to-tough match-up?)

Weak or iffy games: Wake (they're starting a 5'10" program guy at QB), Syracuse, FAU, Charleston Southern, Ga Tech

You're going to need ND, NC, and probably two of the "decent match-ups" to turn into good seasons for those teams. That gets you 4-5 credible quality wins to argue for Clemson's 12-1 fate versus that of a 11-1/12-1 Michigan/Georgia/Tenn.

An 11-1/12-1 Texas, Bama, PSU, Ohio State or FSU has a clear argument over Clemson by virtue of schedule. Bama plays Texas, UTenn, LSU, and probably a title game against UGA. If they're 12-1, they're in. All a 12-1 Texas would need, provided it won its conference, is for OU, TCU, KSU and maybe one other Big 12 team to be 8-4 or better and ranked to go along with the Bama game. FSU has the LSU game. PSU plays Iowa plus the Big 10 East. If they're 11-1 with that, they've got a great shot at getting in. OSU isn't much different, having ND and subbing Wiscy for Iowa.

Also, brands matter a ton. The ACC is currently viewed as the 5th conference, whether fair or not. While Clemson's individual brand has clearly increased in value, is it enough to match up with Texas, Michigan, OSU, or Bama if their records are the same? That's a tough argument to make.

Agree with most. I would *almost* never advocate for a second team from the same conference, but that shit is already out with the Big 10 and SEC. A conference champ that is even close to Clemson/FSU in schedule and record should get the nod over a second team. 

But I disagree on Clemson's schedule.  I think Hartman is a damn good QB and I think ND is going to be pretty good this year. One of UNC or Miami will have a good year and even UofSC could surprise some. Regardless, it's a schedule with a bunch of tough outs and far better than UGA or Michigan's schedule. 

I guess the question is more what if the season plays out similar to last year, but Clemson loses a rematch with FSU in the conference championship to finish 12-1? Who gets the 4th seed? UGA, FSU, and OSU 1-3 seeds conference champs. 

12-1 Clemson 

11-1 Michigan 

12-1 TCU

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It's an interesting scenario. Clemson has been the second best program in college football during the playoff era. They went to 6 straight playoffs (won 2 championships) before the last two years when they "struggled" to go 10-3 and 11-3. They made it into the playoff with one loss seasons before (2016 - Pitt, 2017 - Syracuse, 2020 - Notre Dame). The ACC perception hasn't really cost them yet. I could see them getting the benefit of the doubt and getting in over any of the aforementioned brands, but there is always context to the wins and losses, and of course eye test and style points. It's never just about the wins and losses. I don't see any way in hell that the ACC gets two in, barring FSU and Clemson having 1 loss each and there only being 2 loss teams to choose from otherwise.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Both Clemson and FSU have pretty solid schedules. What do you do if they split and both end up 12-1? If it was Big 10/sec then both make it, but other conferences don't get that benefit of the doubt. I guess it's dependent on what else happens, but both have far tougher schedules than UGA or UM

Conferences don't get the benefit of the doubt, period. Programs do. In your scenario, if it's Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and FSU, I tend to believe that Michigan gets left out. The other three programs have much more recent national championships, and Michigan's schedule would make Bill Snyder blush.

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Agree with most. I would *almost* never advocate for a second team from the same conference, but that shit is already out with the Big 10 and SEC. A conference champ that is even close to Clemson/FSU in schedule and record should get the nod over a second team. 

But I disagree on Clemson's schedule.  I think Hartman is a damn good QB and I think ND is going to be pretty good this year. One of UNC or Miami will have a good year and even UofSC could surprise some. Regardless, it's a schedule with a bunch of tough outs and far better than UGA or Michigan's schedule. 

I guess the question is more what if the season plays out similar to last year, but Clemson loses a rematch with FSU in the conference championship to finish 12-1? Who gets the 4th seed? UGA, FSU, and OSU 1-3 seeds conference champs. 

12-1 Clemson 

11-1 Michigan 

12-1 TCU

12-1 Texas in a heartbeat in that scenario.  Probably an 11-1 Michigan or 12-1 Pac 10 champ.  Maybe an 11-1 PSU.  Definitely an 11-1 Bama or LSU.  

It's incredibly unlikely to my way of thinking for the ACC to get 2 teams in the playoffs. Like 1/100. You'd need carnage in every other conference beyond the top line.  So, undefeated SEC, undefeated big 10, 2 loss pac 12, 2 loss big 12, at least 2 but maybe 3 losses for every other SEC team.  Plus- you'd need FSU to beat LSU and you'd need all your mid ACC teams to look stronger than anyone would think they are at this moment.  

I can't pick Texas until Sark understands he has to do whatever is necessary to get the W.  He's a stubborn play caller that throws victories away.  But.....Texas is fairly loaded talent wise.  There are five stars at every level of the offense.  Kicking game should be improved.  Good ST coverage and block units.  Are we athletic enough up front?  Probably not.  I do think we are much better in the back end.  If Ford and Catalon hold up, I like this defense.

Georgia - The most talented team with the easiest schedule I can recall seeing in recent years.

Michigan - Talented, tested, ready to take the next step.

Clemson - I think they have enough to get there.

Ohio St - Talented team with WRs nobody else in the Big 10 comes close to matching.  

On 8/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, gmr548 said:

Well, folks, there it is. If you still expect a CFP level season out of Texas this year, your impending disappointment is on you and you alone.

What a pussy. Just because you lost your koolaide privilege don't take it out on us!

A team from the XII won't get in this year unless unbeaten. Last season's ultimate games with TCU and KSU getting raped and murdered by SEC will assure that. Doesn't mean we can't get in... just means we have to win all our games. It could happen. 

As far as the other three or four - fuck 'em and feed  'em fish heads.

On 8/30/2023 at 11:45 AM, closetojumping said:

PSU will have a stud backfield and an excellent defense. They probably have the first OT off the board in next year's draft, too. I don't think anyone picking PSU is an idiot, but they'll have to prove that they can beat Michigan and Ohio State in the same season first, for me. They get Iowa early from the west. That defense is going make Aller prove that he's as good as PSU thinks he is. To their credit, they get an off week and then play UMass before going to Ohio State, so they'll be prepped. 

I think PSU’s biggest obstacle to the playoff is being physical enough up front on defense to stop UM when they line up and say “make us stop running the ball”. Psu had a top 10 run defense last year and Michigan ran for over 400 yards in that game. The game being at Psu is a big help for penn state but imo it being at noon instead of a night game mitigates a lot of that. Night games in beaver stadium are worth a few points, as both UM and OSU have seen. I love the pass rush, the LBs, and the secondary. Hopefully by November Aller is shining because they might just have to out score UM to win. 

Like you said, until they prove that they can stop Michigan’s run and win a game in Columbus, they are the 3rd best team in the division. 

Also, the starting LG just had to medically retire, so that’s something they’ll have to sort out. 

Edited by heso
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

A team from the XII won't get in this year unless unbeaten. Last season's ultimate games with TCU and KSU getting raped and murdered by SEC will assure that. Doesn't mean we can't get in... just means we have to win all our games. It could happen. 

Texas absolutely gets in with 1 loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Texas absolutely gets in with 1 loss.

I sincerely doubt it, but if the one loss is to Bama, maybe.

We know the SEC champ is in, we know the B1G champ is in. Two slots left to fill. A one-loss ACC and/or Pac4 champ probably gets in, as does a one-loss Norte Dome, and possibly SEC or B1G runner-up. That's a lot of competition either ahead or even with us.

Best to be safe and just win 'em all.

OK, cool? Hook'em.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Best to be safe and just win 'em all.

There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".

26 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Their second loss was the bowl game, though.

I was thinking 2021.  They lost to TCU and OSU and then beat OSU in the rematch.  But you are right they only.lost to WVU in that one bizarre year, so I guess it did happen.

Edited by JBJ

9 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Weird logic given TCU, you know, won a semifinal. A 12-1 Big 12 team is most likely getting in simply because it's not very likely there's 4 more unbeaten/1-loss P5 teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Weird logic given TCU, you know, won a semifinal. A 12-1 Big 12 team is most likely getting in simply because it's not very likely there's 4 more unbeaten/1-loss P5 teams.

Yeah, TCU has a much more successful playoff than OU has ever had, and that's never stopped OU from getting selected damn near every year.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, WinningIsHard said:

There’s a lottttttt of real shitty picks on this thread 

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

On 9/3/2023 at 4:33 PM, Vic Mackey said:

LMAO at picking Texas as a playoff team.

15 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Down goes Frazier!!!! Clemson…oh clemson haha. This is going to be a real stupid year, might be time to pull a machinator and just find a different hobby lol. 

I’m negging anyone who didn’t make picks and then shows up to talk shit at those who did. I’m hoping “WinningIsHard” will keep posting so I can neg his weak ass off of the site. Anyone else that feels the same should do the same. Nothing worse than lazy thread trolls who can’t take their own position but are glad to tell others they are wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m negging anyone who didn’t make picks and then shows up to talk shit at those who did. I’m hoping “WinningIsHard” will keep posting so I can neg his weak ass off of the site. Anyone else that feels the same should do the same. Nothing worse than lazy thread trolls who can’t take their own position but are glad to tell others they are wrong. 

Here’s one more you can neg, you are way too fuckin fragile for how much shit you talk. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

On 8/30/2023 at 8:04 AM, closetojumping said:

Clemson - Klubnik has the hype, as does Shipley, but Clemson still has the same problems on offense - they don't have guys at WR or TE that scare anyone and their OL is mediocre because it always is. They have an excellent defense as always, but is it top 2-3 in the country? When Clemson was truly the best of the best, they had dynamic playmakers at QB, TB and WR, and there were 2-4 high draft picks playing every year in the front 7. 

You nailed the WR. I still think Williams is good enough, but Randall dropped a couple and the most electric WR was a true freshman. Clemson built their program on WR and DL, and it's inexcusable to have such a weak WR room and to have Tyler fucking Grisham as the WR coach. 

Thought the OL looked good, Etienne would have killed for this OL. DL looked good too, but it seems like Klubnick might suck, which is really bad considering there isn't even a G5 level starter behind him. 

Dabo is gonna have to adapt or he'll be gone in a couple of years. Use the portal, fix the NIL shit