College Football Playoff Teams - 2023 Version

closetojumping

lol, Week 1 bowl projection means fuck-all, but its still fun fodder.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38327865/college-football-bowl-projections-week-1

Mark Schlabach has Texas playing Mack Brown in Pop-Tarts Bowl (wooo!), and Kyle Bonagura has Texas vs Ohio State in Cotton Blow.

Playoffs candidates are: Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, Florida State, USC

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You nailed the WR. I still think Williams is good enough, but Randall dropped a couple and the most electric WR was a true freshman. Clemson built their program on WR and DL, and it's inexcusable to have such a weak WR room and to have Tyler fucking Grisham as the WR coach. 

Thought the OL looked good, Etienne would have killed for this OL. DL looked good too, but it seems like Klubnick might suck, which is really bad considering there isn't even a G5 level starter behind him. 

Dabo is gonna have to adapt or he'll be gone in a couple of years. Use the portal, fix the NIL shit

I just went on rant about all of this in the Duke/Clemson thread, wishing nothing but ill will on your program. I don't think you'd like it. But, it's the angry way of saying what you just wrote. Klubnik isn't worth a damn. You can go back to the 2022 class recruiting thread in the recruiting forum and see for yourself that a group of us who had watched him and other QBs for that cycle viewed the guy as grossly overrated. You're kind of fucked there. I listened to Swinney in an interview at ACC media days preaching the virtues of Klubnik to the XM ACC guys and you'd have thought he was talking about Jesus Christ or Tim Tebow himself. It was nauseating at the time and somewhat hilarious to think about now.

The biggest issue for Clemson is that Dabo Swinney is a simple idiot. He's not going to realize that what got him this far doesn't exist anymore until it is too late, if he ever realizes it at all. The portal is a force in the sport. NIL is the dominant feature in recruiting. These are two things that Swinney denies exist, like evolution. Playing the bag game and preaching family will only go so far in this new era. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I definitely see an ACC team in the finale. It’s not fair for me to pick now but:

North Carolina (I think this is the best team Mack is likely to have at NC) I could also make a case for Florida State. But again it’s not fair to pick now I guess since week 1 is in the books. 

Washington

Kansas State/Texas (it really depends on Sark honestly and QB play)

Michigan 

Georgia 

Alabama 

Laugh away. I have a healthy sense of humor bless my heart and laugh at myself all the time.

North Carolina, Washington (fuck Lincoln and Fuck USC), Kansas State, Michigan, Georgia and Alabama. 
MNC: North Carolina vs Bama….lmao. Mack Brown revenge game? 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I definitely see an ACC team in the finale. It’s not fair for me to pick now but:

North Carolina (I think this is the best team Mack is likely to have at NC) I could also make a case for Florida State. But again it’s not fair to pick now I guess since week 1 is in the books. 

I'm not sure exactly how I'd feel if Mack makes another NC game before Texas, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't feel good.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just went on rant about all of this in the Duke/Clemson thread, wishing nothing but ill will on your program. I don't think you'd like it. But, it's the angry way of saying what you just wrote. Klubnik isn't worth a damn. You can go back to the 2022 class recruiting thread in the recruiting forum and see for yourself that a group of us who had watched him and other QBs for that cycle viewed the guy as grossly overrated. You're kind of fucked there. I listened to Swinney in an interview at ACC media days preaching the virtues of Klubnik to the XM ACC guys and you'd have thought he was talking about Jesus Christ or Tim Tebow himself. It was nauseating at the time and somewhat hilarious to think about now.

The biggest issue for Clemson is that Dabo Swinney is a simple idiot. He's not going to realize that what got him this far doesn't exist anymore until it is too late, if he ever realizes it at all. The portal is a force in the sport. NIL is the dominant feature in recruiting. These are two things that Swinney denies exist, like evolution. Playing the bag game and preaching family will only go so far in this new era. 

Are you besmirching the good name of Geoff Ketchum, who had Klubnik rated as the #1 recruit in Texas for 2022?

ScreenShot2023-09-05at10_44_23AM.thumb.png.801d6231a0902472e6fe096d7f5fbf16.png

Taken from this post: 

)

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If Texas can’t make it I want to see this simply for the meltdown

It would be pretty epic. But this is where I get some of the best memes and gifs and quotes. Like that whole Titanic thread was solid gold. So if that does happen that thread will be too. 
I’ll just be here to steal material. 

• Haha 1

There were 16 picks for Clemson on this thread. You can't feel good about that one at this point. Even if they run the table, would a blowout loss to Duke be forgiven? I guess that's a really big maybe. More importantly, they just don't look good enough to be taken seriously as a CFP contender.

There were only 6 picks for LSU, which is surprising. One of them was last year's winner, @Wulaw Horn. Folks can think what they want about a 12-1 LSU getting into the CFP after that blowout loss, but I didn't see a team capable of coming anywhere near 12-1, so it isn't going to matter. 

Rough opening weekend for @cmontexas who had both LSU and Clemson. He was the only picker with that misfortune. 

Folks who picked FSU have to be feeling pretty good. Those who picked Texas or Ohio State might be feeling a little less optimistic right now.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There were 16 picks for Clemson on this thread. You can't feel good about that one at this point. Even if they run the table, would a blowout loss to Duke be forgiven? I guess that's a really big maybe. More importantly, they just don't look good enough to be taken seriously as a CFP contender.

There were only 6 picks for LSU, which is surprising. One of them was last year's winner, @Wulaw Horn. Folks can think what they want about a 12-1 LSU getting into the CFP after that blowout loss, but I didn't see a team capable of coming anywhere near 12-1, so it isn't going to matter. 

Rough opening weekend for @cmontexas who had both LSU and Clemson. He was the only picker with that misfortune. 

Folks who picked FSU have to be feeling pretty good. Those who picked Texas or Ohio State might be feeling a little less optimistic right now.

Yeah- LSU isn’t good enough to go 12-1 but I’d they do it means they beat Bama, a Georgia and won the SEC and I would call it a metaphysical certainty that they would be picked in that scenario. But- that shit show I saw yesterday I see 4 losses on their card so worry not. 
the good news is since I’m guaranteed to get 3 right every year and I picked Texas and LSU won’t going we can start making reservations now.

it’s science. I’m glad not to be on OSU or Clemson. Pac 12 looks good and deep like we thought. I see a bunch of 2 loss teams so glad I’m not on them either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the first time I am seeing this thread, but my picks still count damnit. 

1. Michigan - obvi

2. Georgia - obvi

3. Washington - Penix is the real deal, and they have a semblance of a defense.

4. Florida State - I am on the fence between FSU and Texas, but FSU already has a top 5 win with an easy schedule moving forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

This is the first time I am seeing this thread, but my picks still count damnit. 

1. Michigan - obvi

2. Georgia - obvi

4. Florida State - I am on the fence between FSU and Texas, but FSU already has a top 5 win with an easy schedule moving forward. 

And pick #4 is why it shouldn’t count. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

FSU has two games against currently ranked teams left, Duke at home and Clemson on the road.  So pencil them in for the 2-3 spot IMO.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think a 12-1 Clemson or LSU are both basically auto admits. 1-loss P5 champs don't grow on trees and their opening weekend losses would feel like ancient history. But I agree it's going to be a moot point. That Clemson team isn't beating all of UNC, Notre Dame, and Florida State x2. LSU is not going to win at Ole Miss, at Bama, and then go beat Georgia in Atlanta.

Feeling pretty dumb on the Clemson pick. I've also felt the late-Mack Texas vibes from them in recent years but thought Garrett Riley would give them enough of a jolt to get through the ACC with one loss. Not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

1. Michigan - obvi

2. Georgia - obvi

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

13 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Feeling pretty dumb on the Clemson pick. I've also felt the late-Mack Texas vibes from them in recent years but thought Garrett Riley would give them enough of a jolt to get through the ACC with one loss. Not going to happen.

I thought Riley was going to make a huge difference as well, but it sure looks like Dabo is still meddling. Also, said it before, but CTJ was right, Duke wasn't scared of the Clemson WR. The 5'11" three star true freshman was the most electric WR Clemson had

After week 2, a little has changed. The Alabama loss effected 8 picks (I am including Nicole's pick even though she picked after week 1 and those picks won't be counted in anyone's favor that made them, but I'll count the L's for them for fun). That's a surprisingly lower amount of Bama picks than one would expect. 

There were no other material losses to the picks. No one was dumb enough to pick ATM. 

In any event, there were a lot of us who picked Texas. That win over Bama is huge if the team can keep its shit together in the conference games. 

Also, special shoutout to Helobious. I'd @ him but the site is fucked up, so can't do that. Anyway, he picked Bama to win it all and that had the desired effect on Bama's season.

Finally, here's super smart long time football expert, Vic Mackey, telling all of us who picked Texas how fucking dumb we are:

On 9/3/2023 at 4:33 PM, Vic Mackey said:

LMAO at picking Texas as a playoff team.

Texas isn't there yet, but I'm hoping this post continues to age like an egg salad sandwich at a summer picnic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Texas is probably even money to make the playoffs right now.  12-1 should do it, and we will be much better than every remaining team on our schedule.

Ohio State gargles balls and Michigan looks solid- that puts me 2 for 2.  Georgia likely makes it 3/3- they play nobody. 
#4 was LSU and that was a bet on them beating FSU and Bama being down and the Pac 12 being a demolition derby where people take each other out.  Check check and check- looks like the only thing I was off was picking the winner of LSU v FSU.  Oh well- trending toward 3/4 and got the right 3 correct imo.  

Such delicious irony that the two absolute dumbest people on the site had Alabama winning it all and mocking the Texas playoff pickers.  Not a big surprise. 

Two people had Tennessee. You bet on Joe Milton, you get what you deserve, I suppose. That team won't be sniffing the playoffs. 

A lot of wheat will be separated from the chaff this weekend. No one picked Notre Dame, and a lot of people picked OSU. If Ohio State wins that game, they can afford to lose one game, likely to Michigan, and still get in. Notre Dame could theoretically also lose just this one game and make the CFP if they beat Duke, USC, Clemson, and 5 also rans.

Anyone who picked Bama could have that pick completely wiped out this weekend. Same for Clemson. Meanwhile, plenty of folks picked FSU, so if they stumble against Clemson, that starts to add balance in the picks.

Penn State pickers will feel a lot better if they beat Iowa this weekend. Then there are only two circled games that will threaten their season. PSU looks good.

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 10:04 AM, closetojumping said:

Texas ATM - My expectation is that they shit themselves in Miami and Fisher leaves Petrino at the airport, buying his own plane ticket back to BCS. 

There were a lot of great takes in the original post, but this one is my favorite. Didn’t quite work out exactly like this but I’ll count it as correct.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, texifornia said:

Georgia

tOSU

Texas

Clemson

Feels pretty good about the first three (with Michigan being an obvious swap-out with tOSU depending on how that game goes - I just hate them).

Clemson runs the ACC until someone proves them otherwise, which is unfortunate because they have strong "fake college in an unlicensed video game" vibes, from their clip art logo to their general lack of noticeable impact on society. I did like their fans when they came to NC State last time, though. Good people, knew their football. Excited to tailgate with them on Monday.

Agree that the Pac cannibalizes itself.

Oof. 1 for 4.

Georgia was obviously close. Credit to Saban for taking a not particularly talented team by his standards and flat out beating them.

tOSU - Honestly, mostly picked them because I can't stand Michigan. If I really cared about being right, I'd have had that one.

Texas in the correct position. Nice.

Clemson - whoops. I thought even with Klubnik they'd tear through the ACC and beat FSU in Death Valley (they almost did!). Turns out they were worse all around than expected and Klubnik is godawful when it matters. Watched the Duke game in person - they still have great fans that do a great tailgate and know their football.

And the Pac did not cannibalize themselves - the Trojan transfers didn't raise their defense to where it needed to be (thanks Grinch!) and Utah had half their team on the training table by game three, freeing it up for Washington to get in by beating Oregon twice and doing just enough against the rest (with a little help from the zebras against SC)

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Oof. 1 for 4.

Georgia was obviously close. Credit to Saban for taking a not particularly talented team by his standards and flat out beating them.

tOSU - Honestly, mostly picked them because I can't stand Michigan. If I really cared about being right, I'd have had that one.

Texas in the correct position. Nice.

Clemson - whoops. I thought even with Klubnik they'd tear through the ACC and beat FSU in Death Valley (they almost did!). Turns out they were worse all around than expected and Klubnik is godawful when it matters. Watched the Duke game in person - they still have great fans that do a great tailgate and know their football.

And the Pac did not cannibalize themselves - the Trojan transfers didn't raise their defense to where it needed to be (thanks Grinch!) and Utah had half their team on the training table by game three, freeing it up for Washington to get in by beating Oregon twice and doing just enough against the rest (with a little help from the zebras against SC)

At least your 1 was the 1 to get.  Who cares about the rest?  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, gmr548 said:

Well, folks, there it is. If you still expect a CFP level season out of Texas this year, your impending disappointment is on you and you alone.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, jw4381 said:

I must have battered Longhorn fan syndrome. We have a dumb jock for a head coach. Until he gives up play calling we ain’t makin No playoffs. 

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

In other words, PLEASE give me some kool aid. 

On 8/30/2023 at 11:49 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 8/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, jw4381 said:
I must have battered Longhorn fan syndrome. We have a dumb jock for a head coach. Until he gives up play calling we ain’t makin No playoffs. 

200.gif

In other words, PLEASE give me some kool aid. 

I agree with this. Did we get a new head coach? I'm not even confident we win the shitty conference, much less get to the playoffs.

On 9/3/2023 at 4:33 PM, Vic Mackey said:

LMAO at picking Texas as a playoff team.

dan levy comedy GIF by CBC

• Hook 'Em 1