Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

11 hours ago, wood said:

Which one of y'all brought the "Get your grades up, or get your guns up" sign? Thank you, whoever you are.

I have to say the game experience is much improved over earlier in the season, minus the trash Tech fan who picked me for some reason to get in my face the two or three times Tech actually did something good. I will not miss these dimwit hillbilly fucks one bit.

Referring to people from Lubbock as "hillbilly" seems geographically insane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Referring to people from Lubbock as "hillbilly" seems geographically insane.

Not the geography. The behavior. I grew up around hillbillies in Tennessee. Those hicks out there are the same people, just without the hills.

Edited by wood

56 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

who cares what you have been asked?

It’s a different team every week. They don’t all ask. And it won’t be any of those teams next year, so don’t blame it on being asked. That’s a lie.

Fuck the staffer that came up with it. Better yet, make his or her stupid ass have to answer to the fans who are trapped. People would literally die if there were an emergency. You’d think liability matters.

The risk is much greater from trapping fans than from having fans near the buses that are loading (with police and game staff everywhere). I’d be more than happy to show you, Chris. 

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

It was masked a bit by all the longer than usual injury stoppages.  There were about 5 that were longer than 5 min plus the injury which called in the cart.

Yeah lots of ups and downs with all the injuries, especially the first stoppage right after first play, but I thought this was one of loudest crowds of the season.  Also lots of folks had their swerve on last night, few folks in our section were having to be helped out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Good
>Crushing Tech’s souls
>Yormack video
>Drone show and Texas Fight light show
>More band than we’ve seen or heard all year
>Decent replays

Bad
>Need more cheerleaders, student section featured on-camera
>Smoke needs to go. Overall too much shit going on
>Stripper DJ and Wedding DJ combo

Ugly
>Refs

Year in review: I think the focus needs to be on the game. Saw one poster comment about how all the lights and shit have made it better for kids and bored wives. I disagree. This is college football. Authentic experiences cant be prepackaged.

I can guarantee there’d be a better game environment with a focus on football, students, UT, and spirit groups. Everything should be complimentary and not distracting, overproduced or deafening.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Good
>Crushing Tech’s souls
>Yormack video
>Drone show and Texas Fight light show
>More band than we’ve seen or heard all year
>Decent replays

Bad
>Need more cheerleaders, student section featured on-camera
>Smoke needs to go. Overall too much shit going on
>Stripper DJ and Wedding DJ combo

Ugly
>Refs

Year in review: I think the focus needs to be on the game. Saw one poster comment about how all the lights and shit have made it better for kids and bored wives. I disagree. This is college football. Authentic experiences cant be prepackaged.

I can guarantee there’d be a better game environment with a focus on football, students, UT, and spirit groups. Everything should be complimentary and not distracting, overproduced or deafening.

okay boomer

• Haha 3

Last night was my first game in 10ish years at DKR. I think my last one was some nonconference game that @blacklab dragged me into the upper deck for. Obviously shit has changed quite a bit from my perspective. 

Some thoughts: 

The drone show and the light stuff is pretty fucking cool. 

I barely heard the band at all, but I was in section 32, which is probably the worst for hearing the band. 

The DJ needs to go. We don't need that shit. 

Texas Fight with the phone lights is cool as fuck. 

It seemed like it took a quarter or so before people started getting loud on 3rd downs, etc. Again, could've just been my section. By the 4th quarter everyone around me was juiced and loud as shit. 

The empty south endzone seats continue to be an embarrassment. 

All in all, I think I picked a good one to bust my slump. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Last night was my first game in 10ish years at DKR. I think my last one was some nonconference game that @blacklab dragged me into the upper deck for. Obviously shit has changed quite a bit from my perspective. 

Some thoughts: 

The drone show and the light stuff is pretty fucking cool. 

I barely heard the band at all, but I was in section 32, which is probably the worst for hearing the band. 

The DJ needs to go. We don't need that shit. 

Texas Fight with the phone lights is cool as fuck. 

It seemed like it took a quarter or so before people started getting loud on 3rd downs, etc. Again, could've just been my section. By the 4th quarter everyone around me was juiced and loud as shit. 

The empty south endzone seats continue to be an embarrassment. 

All in all, I think I picked a good one to bust my slump. 

Agree with all of this.

sums up my sentiments almost exactly

(from section 103, east side upper deck)

Sorry you hate the best atmosphere DKR has had in a long time if not best atmosphere ever. But hey let’s make DKR a quiet easy place to play for opponents that has no fan engagement. 

Could it be the winning games enhances fan engagement? We have students and band in place, we serve alcohol by the boatloads, we have infinite resources. Everything’s in place to offer a badass college football experience.

You come on this football board and want to turn a college football game into a Taylor Swift concert. Fuck that shit.

College football games cant be all things to all people. Cater to students and college football fans and offer a place for alumni to come together.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Could it be the winning games enhances fan engagement? We have students and band in place, we serve alcohol by the boatloads, we have infinite resources. Everything’s in place to offer a badass college football experience.

You come on this football board and want to turn a college football game into a Taylor Swift concert. Fuck that shit.

College football games cant be all things to all people. Cater to students and college football fans and offer a place for alumni to come together.

we were winning games mid 00s and it was never as consistent and good as it is now........even last year when we weren't 11-1 was better.

students lead the way and the current atmosphere is 100% catered to students. No matter what you think the majority of people in that stadium would be considered casual by most metrics. You here on a message board are not considered casual. You want a hardcore football fans gameday. What they are providing is best overall for the stadium.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

we were winning games mid 00s and it was never as consistent and good as it is now........even last year when we weren't 11-1 was better.

Agree to disagree swifty, but certainly there were problems with Bellmont that most people dont want to see again.

When you go to a game and the crowd is into it, and you get a 5-minute Texas Fight and a loud crowd, without Stripper DJ yelling as the ball is snapped, you’ll get it.

There are good things going on and bad things. And fluff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Agree to disagree swifty, but certainly there were problems with Bellmont that most people dont want to see again.

When you go to a game and the crowd is into it, and you get a 5-minute Texas Fight and a loud crowd, without Stripper DJ yelling as the ball is snapped, you’ll get it.

There are good things going on and bad things. And fluff.

I'll take opposing teams players saying DKR is tough vs whatever we had in the mid 00s where everyone thought our environment was soft and quiet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1.) Texas Fight after first down is lame 

2.) Thought music choices were better

3.) Drone show is a cool highlight

4.) Phone light Texas Fight was cool

5.) SEC chants are stupid regardless of context

6.) Place was about to explode if Arch connected on TD

Bonus: To the guy that accused me of cutting in line as we’re being herded like cattle through gate 7 can eat the biggest bag of overpriced dicks.  

I'll take opposing teams players saying DKR is tough vs whatever we had in the mid 00s where everyone thought our environment was soft and quiet.

Sure.

Taylor Swift concerts are loud as fuck as well. But if in Taylor Swift concerts they started to do things to attract Dads and Grandpas and Heavy Metal fans, it would detract from her music and alienate Taylor Swift fans.

Listen, I’ve specified specific elements that work well now and specific elements that dont. You are defensive of any criticism. Its weird.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Sure.

Taylor Swift concerts are loud as fuck as well. But if in Taylor Swift concerts they started to do things to attract Dads and Grandpas and Heavy Metal fans, it would detract from her music and alienate Taylor Swift fans.

Listen, I’ve specified specific elements that work well now and specific elements that dont. You are defensive of any criticism. Its weird.

Seems like Rod Babers and Drew Kelson disagree with you. Take your shit opinion to the nursing home grandpa. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Seems like Rod Babers and Drew Kelson disagree with you. Take your shit opinion to the nursing home grandpa. 

Lowell, what will you do now that LHN is closing? You wont be happy until “ouch, my balls!” plays on repeat at 120 dbs for the entire game in case non-football fans get bored.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lowell, what will you do now that LHN is closing? You wont be happy until “ouch, my balls!” plays on repeat at 120 dbs for the entire game in case non-football fans get bored.

What does Lowell have to do with gameday atmosphere? You're losing it brother....game atmosphere is best its been likely ever and you're wanting it to be reverted.....eat shit loser.

What does Lowell have to do with gameday atmosphere? You're losing it brother....game atmosphere is best its been likely ever and you're wanting it to be reverted.....eat shit loser.

Im calling you Lowell because he’s a wannabe douche

I dont want to revert, thats one of your strawman arguments

We now have alcohol sales, students and band together, and a good product on the field. That’s 90% of what you need and you build around it and provide football fans with college football experience that you cant get anywhere else

Lowell, get a grip. Maybe Yellow Rose will hire you or you can start a podcast.

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Im calling you Lowell because he’s a wannabe douche

I dont want to revert, thats one of your strawman arguments

We now have alcohol sales, students and band together, and a good product on the field. That’s 90% of what you need and you build around it and provide football fans with college football experience that you cant get anywhere else

Lowell, get a grip. Maybe Yellow Rose will hire you or you can start a podcast.

Stay hating a great atmosphere because you want 1950s style gameday. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Bonus: To the guy that accused me of cutting in line as we’re being herded like cattle through gate 7 can eat the biggest bag of overpriced dicks.  

What's the going rate for dicks these days? Aasking for a friend.

36 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Some of y'all want a bunch of old cheerleaders yelling sis-boom-bah with big cardboard cones.  F that. I like the energy, even if a bit cheesy over gram gram's preferred atmosphere...

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Almost every single person here that's offered criticism has pointed out things they like and things they don't like about the current game atmosphere. Most people like a whole lot of it.  They've offered suggestions within the current framework to make it better, not make it go away. I can't think of a single person that's said they want to scrap it all. Saying 'I'd change this or that' is not saying 'Go back to 1985'. Offering suggestions is not saying the whole thing is terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I really like our atmosphere now, coming from an elder millennial. 

I agree regarding our atmosphere in the mid-late aughts. Shit we were stomping everybody not named ou, and we were still a quiet stadium. It was a running complaint back on HF then shaggy. Why are we such a wine and cheese crowd!!

It’s a bit cheesy at times and the DJ really needs to back from a lot of his shit, but it’s fun out there 

54 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sure.

He must be the stripper DJ?  I was waiting for a "Give it up for Earl Campbell working hard for ya on the downtown stage!"

• Haha 2

If they are going to script the experience they need to add in breaks from anything through the PA system. I.e. no DJ, no Bob Cole. I would prefer none of them at all. Admittedly it’s been about 4 years since I have been to a game and I was shocked at how much it has changed. I am an old. I have been attending CFB games for over 50 years. I will reiterate once again, that DJ and all his bullshit is unnecessary.

3 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

that DJ and all his bullshit is unnecessary

This I do agree with but it seems he has taken place of Bob Coles normal shit.

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

One thing my buddies and I noticed was just how easy it would've been to sneak right past the ticket scanner people if we hadn't already paid a shitload for our tickets. They weren't paying attention at all.

Every game this year after the Rice game when I realized they don't check very well I walked in with two beers in my back pockets. This game I was able to bring in 4 because I was wearing a hoody. 

I’m 57 and wish the band were more involved and that we had way more natural Texas/Fight chants and that Bob Cole and rapper dude would shut the fuck up and that if we were gonna play AC/DC it would be anything other than the fucking hockey national anthem.

That being said, the crowd is way more into the game now than it’s ever been, in particular the students. If all of this bullshit keeps the stick up your ass, corporate, ‘proper’ crowd at home forever I’m 100% in favor of it.

I’m 57 and wish the band were more involved and that we had way more natural Texas/Fight chants and that Bob Cole and rapper dude would shut the fuck up and that if we were gonna play AC/DC it would be anything other than the fucking hockey national anthem.
That being said, the crowd is way more into the game now than it’s ever been, in particular the students. If all of this bullshit keeps the stick up your ass, corporate, ‘proper’ crowd at home forever I’m 100% in favor of it.

I heard the students get blackballed if they don’t go to the games when they have tickets.