Week 5, 2023: Kansas at Texas

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well yeah, for the coaches and players no shit. I'm saying that if you're a fan looking at the remaining games and trying to find a loss or two there are obvious standouts. This Texas team doesn't appear to be in a hurry to find losses that no one was even considering unlike a lot of recent Texas teams. 

If you think TCU is super shitty and we're going to roll them in FW that's your prerogative - all I'm saying is that it is pretty obviously one of the bigger games remaining. I'm not even entertaining the idea that Tech, BYU or UH finds a way to beat us. 

TCU is not a standout game this season. The math still says Texas is likely to lose, but there’s no reason to expect that to be against TCU any more than any other random team. 

As a fan, setting aside how difficult it is to go unbeaten, there’s one game that stands out and they wear crimson and cream, not purple, white, silver, black, red, or whatever.

TCU isn’t super shitty. They’re average-ish and will likely bring their A game against Texas and play above average. That’s not nearly enough for them to beat Texas unless Texas beats Texas. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

I certainly feel like this will be a telling game for our defense. Kansas has a diverse run game with a lot of read and option plays, which we haven't seen yet outside of a handful at Bama.  If we can shut down the run without needing Barron or Jerrin around the box, the game is going to get very mudholish.  I don't think our defense has played quite to that level thus far, but it's not too far gone to imagine.

In the passing game, Kansas likes to spread the ball around and play matchups.  They'll move people around to create opportunities.  They have a diverse corps and will try to beat you with either size or speed.  But they are definitely a run-first team.  Their formula is to get you into the box, then find their matchups or throw screens to numbers.  I don't think their passing game works consistently without establishing the run first.  It's philosophically not much different than what Sark likes to do, but it's packaged differently.

Jalon Daniels is somewhere below the passing threat of JT Daniels and somewhere below the run threat of Jalon Milroe, but that's a good enough combination to be the best QB we've seen.  And this is the best offense we will have faced to date.  They aren't as good as our offense, though.  It's just not the same level of talent.

----

This will feel like a breakout game for our offense, but that's mostly because we've played good defensive teams to date.  Kansas is somewhere above Rice, but, unlike Rice, we will have a gameplan specific to Kansas.  They are aggressive upfront.  I've seen a fair share of corner blitzes in their games.  The DL is good and Kobe Bryant is a good player, but the rest of the defense is struggling.  I saw the Havoc rate stat. It's not completely misleading, but the #1 rank feels like a myth based on competition.  I'm not sure it even matters much against our offense which will be capable of punishing aggression and creating big plays.

----

Could we possibly lose?  I mean, yeah.  I'm not convinced Kansas will be ranked at the end of the year, but they are a good team and have some chance against any team.  But is the 3-score line appropriate? Yes.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I certainly feel like this will be a telling game for our defense. Kansas has a diverse run game with a lot of read and option plays, which we haven't seen yet outside of a handful at Bama.  If we can shut down the run without needing Barron or Jerrin around the box, the game is going to get very mudholish.  I don't think our defense has played quite to that level thus far, but it's not too far gone to imagine.

In the passing game, Kansas likes to spread the ball around and play matchups.  They'll move people around to create opportunities.  They have a diverse corps and will try to beat you with either size or speed.  But they are definitely a run-first team.  Their formula is to get you into the box, then find their matchups or throw screens to numbers.  I don't think their passing game works consistently without establishing the run first.  It's philosophically not much different than what Sark likes to do, but it's packaged differently.

Jalon Daniels is somewhere below the passing threat of JT Daniels and somewhere below the run threat of Jalon Milroe, but that's a good enough combination to be the best QB we've seen.  And this is the best offense we will have faced to date.  They aren't as good as our offense, though.  It's just not the same level of talent.

----

This will feel like a breakout game for our offense, but that's mostly because we've played good defensive teams to date.  Kansas is somewhere above Rice, but, unlike Rice, we will have a gameplan specific to Kansas.  They are aggressive upfront.  I've seen a fair share of corner blitzes in their games.  The DL is good and Kobe Bryant is a good player, but the rest of the defense is struggling.  I saw the Havoc rate stat. It's not completely misleading, but the #1 rank feels like a myth based on competition.  I'm not sure it even matters much against our offense which will be capable of punishing aggression and creating big plays.

----

Could we possibly lose?  I mean, yeah.  I'm not convinced Kansas will be ranked at the end of the year, but they are a good team and have some chance against any team.  But is the 3-score line appropriate? Yes.

Good thoughts. It's Cobee Bryant, I think.

Bryant is really good and he can create turnovers if we go in his direction too much. There's no need to do so, given that the other CB position and NB are both really weak. They're weak at LB too. 

Given the weapons for Texas, and that KU is really weak up the middle of the defense, we need our IOL to have their shit together in the running game and I expect Whittington and Sanders to have big days. Obviously, Worthy and Mitchell can get theirs against anyone, but if they're not featured this week, I wouldn't be surprised if the JW and Sanders don't have their best games of the year, numbers-wise.

The problem for KU on offense is that their biggest weakness, their IOL, is perhaps UT's biggest defensive strength. I expect the Texas DL to beat the absolute shit out of the KU interior and that's going to be a problem for Daniels. They throw the ball between the hashes over 80% of the time. Good luck hurrying a pass with Catalon, Ford, and Barron in coverage over the middle.

Texas better have its shit together on STs. Given UT's talent, special teams should be widening leads, not keeping a lid on the scoreboard, dammit. Also, and I hope that this won't matter this week, and I doubt it will, but Auburn is trash from a reliability perspective. Texas needs to upgrade at PK as soon as this season is over. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm seeing a lot of podcast guys picking KU to cover for some pretty dumb reasons as others have pointed out.

For me the only reason this game might be close is the history of Texas under Sark to be up and down from one week to the next and we have seen that in all seasons thus far.

It is not inconceivable that KU scores early on a defensive lapse, there is some offensive malaise, or Ewers throws an untimely pic(he is due with being lucky on some bad pases and some high deflections) etc.

But in order to cover, I think KU needs almost all of the above to happen and even then Texas might still cover. Of course there is the possibility of a comfortable win with some garbage scoring to make things appear closer than it actually was.

I'm really ready to see thus team just take off and start being on the money week in and week out.

Let's get this one, and then it's on to OU sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Before Daniels got injured last year, Kansas was running him a lot more (designed QB runs and QB run options), and they had an elite offense in terms of efficiency. They were designed runs because when he scrambles, he's looking to pass the ball first, although if nothing is open he'll run to move the chains. Post Daniels injury, their offense hasn't been quite as efficient (although still very good), I think in large part because they're trying to protect him. 

There's a line of thinking that Kansas has been saving his running ability for this game. I'm wondering though if they'd rather save him for the rest of the season? They have a good back-up who they can win individual games with, but they're much less likely to run the table post-Texas with that guy than with Daniels. Do you go all out to win Texas and risk injuring Daniels, or do you maintain what's been the post-injury status quo for running Daniels and play for the rest of the season?

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

TCU is not a standout game this season. The math still says Texas is likely to lose, but there’s no reason to expect that to be against TCU any more than any other random team. 

As a fan, setting aside how difficult it is to go unbeaten, there’s one game that stands out and they wear crimson and cream, not purple, white, silver, black, red, or whatever.

TCU and OU beat SMU by the same margin.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Before Daniels got injured last year, Kansas was running him a lot more (designed QB runs and QB run options), and they had an elite offense in terms of efficiency. They were designed runs because when he scrambles, he's looking to pass the ball first, although if nothing is open he'll run to move the chains. Post Daniels injury, their offense hasn't been quite as efficient (although still very good), I think in large part because they're trying to protect him. 

There's a line of thinking that Kansas has been saving his running ability for this game. I'm wondering though if they'd rather save him for the rest of the season? They have a good back-up who they can win individual games with, but they're much less likely to run the table post-Texas with that guy than with Daniels. Do you go all out to win Texas and risk injuring Daniels, or do you maintain what's been the post-injury status quo for running Daniels and play for the rest of the season?

Yeah, he didn't play week 1, and they were quite protective of him in weeks 2-3...but there were some designed runs against BYU, so I'd expect the full playbook.  KU has had a lot of success running the ball but haven't had a test like UT's front yet.  If we get one dimensional, it could be a long day.

The defense appears to be better (though better from abysmally bad last year) but is similarly relatively untested and has relied on forcing turnovers...they don't really have the horses to be a lockdown unit.

I'm thrilled with where we are in the rebuild, but we haven't really shown the ability to hang around with teams full of athletes...albeit that was mostly without Daniels.  I'm going to go ahead and get liquored up at the tailgate, just in case I need the numbing.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Oh, now transitive works for you. 

I'm appealing to YOUR dumbass transitive argument. But yes, let's piss our pants over an OU team that hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse by more than 2 scores and write off a game in fort worth in November against a school that's owned us for a decade. 

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Pretty sure Daniels had back issues going into this season.  They sat him out their 1st game this year.  Texas needs to hit Daniels when they can and get him out of rhythm and uncomfortable in the pocket.   

19 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Yeah, he didn't play week 1, and they were quite protective of him in weeks 2-3...but there were some designed runs against BYU, so I'd expect the full playbook.  KU has had a lot of success running the ball but haven't had a test like UT's front yet.  If we get one dimensional, it could be a long day.

The defense appears to be better (though better from abysmally bad last year) but is similarly relatively untested and has relied on forcing turnovers...they don't really have the horses to be a lockdown unit.

I'm thrilled with where we are in the rebuild, but we haven't really shown the ability to hang around with teams full of athletes...albeit that was mostly without Daniels.  I'm going to go ahead and get liquored up at the tailgate, just in case I need the numbing.

He didn’t run at all in the first half vs BYU, fwiw. They used him some in the second half to help ice the game 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm appealing to YOUR dumbass transitive argument. But yes, let's piss our pants over an OU team that hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse by more than 2 scores and write off a game in fort worth in November against a school that's owned us for a decade. 

I didn’t say I was pissing my pants. I said I was more concerned about OU in a rivalry game than I am about a TCU team that’s looked mediocre four times now. 

If you’re going to call someone else’s argument about common opponents “dumbass” don’t follow it up with the sheer idiocy of comparing results from two precious staffs, both of which were fired. 

If you want to be worried about TCU because of what happened before this staff, sure, be worried about TCU. 

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty sure Daniels had back issues going into this season.  They sat him out their 1st game this year.  Texas needs to hit Daniels when they can and get him out of rhythm and uncomfortable in the pocket.   

He tweaked his back filming a frosted flakes commercial for NIL.

I will be disappointed if Sweat, Murphy along with all the depth at DT don't blow up the middle of that offensive line and choke out Kansas the way they did Baylor. Daniels is obviously better and more elusive than the Baylor QB, but I expect him to be running for his life and seeing ghosts. 

Even though Texas has won every game so far by double digits, it feels like they've left a lot of meat on the bone. The scores have been closer than the actual games. They are sort of due for some shit to break right and light up the scoreboard. I'd for sure trade a workmanlike win this week for that to happen next week in Dallas.

Whatever. Just win, baby.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bryant is really good and he can create turnovers if we go in his direction too much. There's no need to do so, given that the other CB position and NB are both really weak. They're weak at LB too. 

Given the weapons for Texas, and that KU is really weak up the middle of the defense, we need our IOL to have their shit together in the running game and I expect Whittington and Sanders to have big days. Obviously, Worthy and Mitchell can get theirs against anyone, but if they're not featured this week, I wouldn't be surprised if the JW and Sanders don't have their best games of the year, numbers-wise.

The problem for KU on offense is that their biggest weakness, their IOL, is perhaps UT's biggest defensive strength. I expect the Texas DL to beat the absolute shit out of the KU interior and that's going to be a problem for Daniels. They throw the ball between the hashes over 80% of the time. Good luck hurrying a pass with Catalon, Ford, and Barron in coverage over the middle.

Texas better have its shit together on STs. Given UT's talent, special teams should be widening leads, not keeping a lid on the scoreboard, dammit. Also, and I hope that this won't matter this week, and I doubt it will, but Auburn is trash from a reliability perspective. Texas needs to upgrade at PK as soon as this season is over. 

I feel better now that I know it's not the same guy who won all those titles with with the Lakers. 😋  We should just avoid him.  I have heard people say just keep him occupied with Worthy and feast elsewhere, but I don't think that's how Sark operates.  We will feast elsewhere but also move around and motion Worthy into favorable matchups all the same.

The KU playbook does help account for their OL.  Lots of running sideways/misdirection/option football.  Their RB plays with vision and can punish mental mistakes.  Like I said if we win here, we win easy. And if we can do it without sacrificing coverage, it's gonna be a blowout game.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If you’re going to call someone else’s argument about common opponents “dumbass” don’t follow it up with the sheer idiocy of comparing results from two precious staffs, both of which were fired. 

What the fuck are you talking about? This staff lost to TCU last season at home. If we're talking staffs - the TCU team that Sark beat in year 1 got GP and his staff canned.

What does OU being a rival have to do with TCU year over year doing a better job of getting up for Texas than OU? OU doesn't have a convincing win over us in Dallas since Mack was here. You think TCU doesn't consider Texas a rival? You're living in a fantasy land. 

I promise you that TCU losing in week 1 to a CU team that no one had any film on has very little bearing on how they show up against us later this season. 

20 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I feel better now that I know it's not the same guy who won all those titles with with the Lakers. 😋  We should just avoid him.  I have heard people say just keep him occupied with Worthy and feast elsewhere, but I don't think that's how Sark operates.  We will feast elsewhere but also move around and motion Worthy into favorable matchups all the same.

The KU playbook does help account for their OL.  Lots of running sideways/misdirection/option football.  Their RB plays with vision and can punish mental mistakes.  Like I said if we win here, we win easy. And if we can do it without sacrificing coverage, it's gonna be a blowout game.

One other thing to think about regarding the matchup with the Texas front 7 and KU's OL - I'm guessing they go big on the outside and rotate Collins and Broughton outside a bunch while keeping Sweat/Murphy/Carter/Etc. fresh in the middle until it's obvious the dude is going to have to pass to keep them in the game. 

One of the most important things about the Texas D is that it has optionality. Luginbill, Burton and Gerry were talking about this - they can go big when they need to and they can get lean and keep up with the jack rabbits when they have to do so.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I kind of felt like this would happen. We’ve all seen it before. You can even see a little of it here. You can really see on the OU and ATM boards. 

What’s that? Everyone in the media starting to convince themselves that Kansas will not only play Texas tough, but they’re going to pull the upset. They’re going to pull the upset because they have: a dynamic qb; an opponent in Texas that still doesn’t know how to win (nevermind this is being mentioned as something in favor of Kansas!); and apparently a resurgent defense. 

Nothing has changed. Daniels has been known to be the KU starter. Texas knows it has to focus every week to achieve its goals. Kansas’ defense, while still shitty, had nowhere to go but up. 

But, hey, America loves an underdog and the media enjoys talking Texas, whether as a blue blood or a villain or both. It’s all bullshit. Texas is going to roll these guys. Then we get to hear the build up about an angry and resurgent OU out for vengeance as a 9.5 point underdog heading into the RRS. Look at the advanced efficiency statistics!!

again not perfect, but no prediction tracker has picked Kansas over Texas and the minimum point total is Texas +8.5. average and median is both in the 18 point range. the updated line dropped from opening at 17 down to...16.5 lol

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What the fuck are you talking about? This staff lost to TCU last season at home. If we're talking staffs - the TCU team that Sark beat in year 1 got GP and his staff canned.

What does OU being a rival have to do with TCU year over year doing a better job of getting up for Texas than OU? OU doesn't have a convincing win over us in Dallas since Mack was here. You think TCU doesn't consider Texas a rival? You're living in a fantasy land. 

I promise you that TCU losing in week 1 to a CU team that no one had any film on has very little bearing on how they show up against us later this season. 

I’m talking about this:

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

school that's owned us for a decade

That “decade” isn’t relevant. Yeah, the best, or most fortunate, TCU team in more than a few generations won last season. Kudos to them. You seem much more worried that they can do it again than I am, but we’ll have to wait to see how it actually goes. 

It’s much more common for the better team to end up getting beaten in rivalry games, and in Texas vs. OU in particular, than the better team to lose to TCU. IDGAF what TCU considers though, if you think back, you’ll see that I said it’s likely they bring their A game and play better than they have been against other teams. Fucking Baylor, Tech, and whoever you can shake a stick at considers Texas a rival. That doesn’t make it a rivalry game. 

It doesn’t matter how TCU shows up. Texas can beat Texas. TCU can’t beat Texas. Texas is likely to lose at some point, but nothing TCU has done indicates they’re anything other than another team with a puncher’s chance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We don’t play BYU in Provo. 

They beat us by 1 with Casey Thompson, Brenden Schooler, BJ Foster, Luke Brockermeyer, Marcus Washington, and a host of other massive liabilities and malcontents either starting or getting significant playing time.
They were spotted like 14 points by Hudson Card as well. 

We have played against Jalon Daniels 3 times now. 

This is the best team they’ll have faced from us in all three matchups.

A large portion of the 10-12 contributors on our defensive front would have to lay an egg for their run game to have the consistent success it needs for this one to be within 10 points. 

I always find these shitty posts interesting. I’m sure you were “embarrassed” losing to KU.

That was a team loss yet you call out certain dudes like a simple minded gimp. Washington had 100 yards, 2 TDs in that game fyi. 350 passing for Casey.

Of the top 10 in defensive snaps from that game, 3 are starters this year. 3 are NFL dudes. Of the other 4, the one with the least number of plays is the only one you mentioned. Of the next 10 in snaps, actually 11, 5 have prominent roles on this defense including 2/3 starters. Then 3 have seen some NFL looks.

Objectively the defense was the biggest issue in 2021 KU. 8 contributors (not including Sweat or Gbenda even) for this year were materially involved. None of them were freshmen either.

Interestingly enough only 3 guys that played offensively are still here then Bijan/Roschon.

Agree on the KU run game. That’s the beauty of our depth. If it’s not your day, let’s see the next guy. Of those 10-12 guys you referenced, just remember, we got 8 guys in the front 7 for this year that played a part in getting their ass handed to them by Kansas.

We’re gonna whip their ass this weekend. Their only hope is that their Oline can handle Sweat, Collins, Murphy and Broughton. Let’s hope those 4 remember 2021.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Illinois has a strong DL and Kansas still manage to move the ball rather easily against their defense, for the reasons you mentioned. Of course, the Texas DL is better, as is the rest of the defense

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

If the line is really -17.5 it's not absurd for people to pick Kansas to cover.  This year especially in college football. 

It's now -16.5 in most spots 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I always find these shitty posts interesting. I’m sure you were “embarrassed” losing to KU.

That was a team loss yet you call out certain dudes like a simple minded gimp. Washington had 100 yards, 2 TDs in that game fyi. 350 passing for Casey.

Of the top 10 in defensive snaps from that game, 3 are starters this year. 3 are NFL dudes. Of the other 4, the one with the least number of plays is the only one you mentioned. Of the next 10 in snaps, actually 11, 5 have prominent roles on this defense including 2/3 starters. Then 3 have seen some NFL looks.

Objectively the defense was the biggest issue in 2021 KU. 8 contributors (not including Sweat or Gbenda even) for this year were materially involved. None of them were freshmen either.

Interestingly enough only 3 guys that played offensively are still here then Bijan/Roschon.

Agree on the KU run game. That’s the beauty of our depth. If it’s not your day, let’s see the next guy. Of those 10-12 guys you referenced, just remember, we got 8 guys in the front 7 for this year that played a part in getting their ass handed to them by Kansas.

We’re gonna whip their ass this weekend. Their only hope is that their Oline can handle Sweat, Collins, Murphy and Broughton. Let’s hope those 4 remember 2021.

Hey Nunu, I have no issue with what Marcus did in that game. I hope he’s doing well. The point is that we have upgraded.

Now, they actually have to game plan to stop guys like Sanders and Mitchell. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

One other thing to think about regarding the matchup with the Texas front 7 and KU's OL - I'm guessing they go big on the outside and rotate Collins and Broughton outside a bunch while keeping Sweat/Murphy/Carter/Etc. fresh in the middle until it's obvious the dude is going to have to pass to keep them in the game. 

One of the most important things about the Texas D is that it has optionality. Luginbill, Burton and Gerry were talking about this - they can go big when they need to and they can get lean and keep up with the jack rabbits when they have to do so.

I like it. Same game plan as Baylor. Go big on the edge and squeeze the pocket/ let the interior dominate. Let our athletes out athlete them on the back end. 

The edge point will be interesting to watch. Waddlington has talked about how Kansas attacked Illinois's 280lb, projected first round edge. We have lots of optionality and the speed at LB if they try to spread out Collins/Broughton. We could also switch to having Hill/Bush/Blackwell opposite Sorrell. And Burke should definitely factor in with his length. Lots of ways PK could choose to go. 

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The edge point will be interesting to watch. Waddlington has talked about how Kansas attacked Illinois's 280lb, projected first round edge. We have lots of optionality and the speed at LB if they try to spread out Collins/Broughton. We could also switch to having Hill/Bush/Blackwell opposite Sorrell. And Burke should definitely factor in with his length. Lots of ways PK could choose to go. 

That guy is a DT, not an edge 

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does anyone know how many redzone plays we have?

By my count, it's a total of 37 RZ plays this season. Or 36, if you net out one incomplete pass that drew DPI.

Game-by-game summary below with totals, then broken out by RZ plays per drive (+ result of drive).

• Rice – 7 RZ plays
    • 3 (FG)
    • 2 (TD)
    • 2 (TD)
  • Bama – 14 RZ plays
    • 7 (FG)
    • 5 (FG)
    • 1 (TD)
    • 1 (TD)
  • Wyoming – 8 RZ plays
    • 1 (FG)
    • 4 (TD)
    • 3 (TD)
  • Baylor – 8 RZ plays
    • 1 (TD)
    • 2 (TD)
    • 1 (FG)
    • 4 (Missed FG)

RZ drives (14 total) resulted in points all but one time, and overall account for 53% of total offensive points (71/133) and 50% of offensive TDs (8/16).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

That guy is a DT, not an edge 

If we’re talking about Newton, they play him over the tackle a lot. Whatever name y’all want to get hung up on for that role, have at it. 

Remove him and Illinois’ DL is Jagger City. I don’t think they have anything close to the DL (and DL rotation) that Texas will present on Saturday. 

PK is the real deal.  I'm amazed at how many schemes and combinations they switch in and out of.  They rolled out a 4-3 to start the game at Baylor that we'd never even seen before.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

PK is the real deal.  I'm amazed at how many schemes and combinations they switch in and out of.  They rolled out a 4-3 to start the game at Baylor that we'd never even seen before.  

He just needed to get rid of all the pre Madonnas and shitty culture guys. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If we’re talking about Newton, they play him over the tackle a lot. Whatever name y’all want to get hung up on for that role, have at it. 

Remove him and Illinois’ DL is Jagger City. I don’t think they have anything close to the DL (and DL rotation) that Texas will present on Saturday. 

Yes, Newton. I think the other IDL, Randolph, is also good. The edges are solid. It's a good DL. Not a Georgia or Bama or 2023 Texas DL, but still good. 

I agree that Texas's DL is considerably better. 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yes, Newton. I think the other IDL, Randolph, is also good. The edges are solid. It's a good DL. Not a Georgia or Bama or 2023 Texas DL, but still good. 

I agree that Texas's DL is considerably better. 

I was out to dinner in Tuscaloosa when KU played Illinois, so the only looks I've had with Illinois were most of the PSU game and the KU game on mute standing at a crowded bar in the first half. Newton is a fucking force, but in the PSU game, I didn't feel like anyone else on the front was doing a whole lot. They double-teamed Newton a lot and he still had a bunch of tackles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Last season Auburn ended the year with an 80% make rate and 100% PATs. He had had a couple of bad doinks this year, but I am not ready to just jettison him into the void. I bet he picks it up in the back half of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Last season Auburn ended the year with an 80% make rate and 100% PATs. He had had a couple of bad doinks this year, but I am not ready to just jettison him into the void. I bet he picks it up in the back half of the season.

I know a choker when I see one. That goofy idiot is a choker. You don't want the game on the line and things coming down to that guy. Jesus. The thought of it gives me the shivers. 

Also, this is one post that has the chance to age really, really well. If the dude rips off 3 game winners as Texas marches to the national title, I'll bask in the mockery. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know a choker when I see one. That goofy idiot is a choker. You don't want the game on the line and things coming down to that guy. Jesus. The thought of it gives me the shivers. 

Also, this is one post that has the chance to age really, really well. If the dude rips off 3 game winners as Texas marches to the national title, I'll bask in the mockery. 

Damn straight you will

15 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

cross Carl off the list.

either ctj is correct, or Vick has a new sock.

Leslie Chow?? At least that's who he reminds me of off TOS.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yep, he's no "ice-water-in-his-veins" clutch kicker like Jeff Ward was, nor one of the other Texas clutch kickers, like Justin Tucker. 

So far Bert's FGs-made stats are similar (70% this year) to the near 70% FGs-made stats Wayne Clements put up.

In the '89 RRS, I'll always remember Clements had his XP blocked into his face, so he grabbed the ball and threw it to TE Curtis Thrift for a 2-pt conversion instead -- really a play that you never forget once you see it in person. We all went nuts, and the celebration wasn't drowned out by too-loud music/commercials.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BERT said:

Damn straight you will

Leslie Chow?? At least that's who he reminds me of off TOS.

3 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Yep, he's no "ice-water-in-his-veins" clutch kicker like Jeff Ward was, nor one of the other Texas clutch kickers, like Justin Tucker. 

So far Bert's FGs-made stats are similar (70% this year) to the near 70% FGs-made stats Wayne Clements put up.

In the '89 RRS, I'll always remember Clements had his XP blocked into his face, so he grabbed the ball and threw it to TE Curtis Thrift for a 2-pt conversion instead -- really a play that you never forget once you see it in person. We all went nuts, and the celebration wasn't drowned out by too-loud music/commercials.

Maybe being clutch as a kicker at Texas is a pre-ordained right for our fanbase, like hiring good coaches at OSU or having great QBs at USC.

"You will be punished for years, decades even, sometimes, and forced to wander the wilderness of CFB for those stretches. That said, when everything is on the line for your team, your kickers will convert at a rate of 99% of the time. Good luck." --Football Zeus

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

The same Jeff Ward who missed two against Georgia?

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Scipio Tex  (Wadlington)

TALE OF THE TAPE | TEXAS LONGHORNS VS KANSAS JAYHAWKS PREVIEW

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Seems like a lot was made out of Red running scout team qb the week of the Bama game. Did Sark mention him doing that this week at the presser today?

Unless they edited his answer for the YouTube version, he seemed to have forgotten to answer that when he was asked. 

1 minute ago, BachelorTrek said:

It was Craig Curry that couldn't catch a punt that fucked the '84 Cotton Bowl with Jawja.

Otherwise that would've been another MNC.

Or, if Ward makes either of the two field goals he missed. 

Edit: And, frankly, that was on Akers. If you leave the defense out there against a fake, no one comes within a zip code of an actual punt. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic