Week 5, 2023: Kansas at Texas

Wulaw Horn

I looked it up and in the two times Kansas beat Texas they were +4 in turnover margin (2-6 and 0-4). We had to be spectacularly bad in order for KU to win. 

In 2016 we finished the first half with turnovers on four straight possessions and then had a fumble on a late drive that would have iced the game deep in KU territory.

In 2021 we had a massive meltdown at the end of the first half where KU was able to score 21 points in about 90 seconds to take a 35-14 lead at halftime thanks to back to back turnovers including a pick six. 

In short, Texas needs to not turn the ball over and do stupid shit like have balls bounce off receivers hands and the other crap we've done to start our home games.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I looked it up and in the two times Kansas beat Texas they were +4 in turnover margin (2-6 and 0-4). We had to be spectacularly bad in order for KU to win. 

In 2016 we finished the first half with turnovers on four straight possessions and then had a fumble on a late drive that would have iced the game deep in KU territory.

In 2021 we had a massive meltdown at the end of the first half where KU was able to score 21 points in about 90 seconds to take a 35-14 lead at halftime thanks to back to back turnovers including a pick six. 

In short, Texas needs to not turn the ball over and do stupid shit like have balls bounce off receivers hands and the other crap we've done to start our home games.

Damn wow fuck! Unbelievably bad times. Hope they never return.

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

What's interesting about the 2016 game is that Kansas also played a pretty horrible game, as well. The game was a total shit-show in front of half-empty stadium. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Tricky to not blow your chance to move up when you have the opportunity (looking at you Matt Campbell) but if he has a decent year (and likes his prospects next year) I would think he can find a better job than MSU.  Then again, MSU suddenly has a lot of money to throw around.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Burton with the 38-35 prediction after tweaking out about Baylor and Wyoming and assuming tragedy versus Alabama. Grow a pair, Bobby.

If I remember correctly, Bobby publicly admitted to emotionally hedging and being overly pessimistic on his predictions last year to avoid jinxing anything... This is probably a similar situation haha.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

It's how Kansas won last weekend against BYU. +3 in turnovers and 21 points off those turnovers. 

I think this is the biggest key. Just don't turn the ball over a billion times. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems to be a pattern with land grant schools in the top 15-30 job desirability rankings. 

Now that the Ishbia's are busy with the NBA, I wonder if they'll be able to allocate as much money and time towards MSU sports and NIL 

BTW, as all of this talk about KU being ready and Texas being ready to fall to pieces in the media has taken place, the OU game is laughably uncovered. I haven't heard a spoken about that game all week. That's gratifying on the "fuck OU" level, but on the "who could stumble with a big number to cover?" level, here are the last 8 match-ups between the okies and ISU:

2022: 27-13 W
2021: 28-21 W
2020: 27-21 W
2020: 30-37 L
2019: 42-41 W
2018: 37-27 W
2017: 31-38 L
2016: 34-24 W

If somebody this weekend isn't going to cover, and might take an upset, there's a smarter bet than taking KU to play inside of 16 against Texas. ISU is getting 20 points. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He went on to claim that this "feels like the typical kind of game Texas stumbles in and could even lose." 

Yep, people are going to say that literally every single game on our schedule except for maybe Houston if they don't look significantly improved the next 2 weeks.  We heard it last week as well.  And hell, they will probably be right one of these games.  But I don't think it will be this week.

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

There’s a perception based on the past 13 years that we are going to fuck up. Which is fair. People aren’t used to Texas looking like it should. I think that perception changes after this year, we’re legitimate.

Almost everyone fucks up every season, though. Aren’t only two of Saban’s championships with unbeaten teams? 

And as for the scrubs of the world, I think it was Klatt who commented that Texas’ improvement along the lines of scrimmage is what will make the difference in the type of upset. They’ll just choke out the Kansases of the world the way Georgia and Alabama have. They might get upset, but they’ll get upset by a better class of cockroach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

That getting upset isn’t unique to Texas. Not getting upset is pretty unique. 

I see your crusade on this. I don't have a problem with it or an edit. I just know that, when it happens, it will be all the media talks about in terms of "same ol'Texas" so I'm cheering for it to be a well fought game when it happens and for it to not happen more than once.

I have a few friends that wind up in stories, tv and radio and they're all working to nitpick why they've got anxieties and how Texas can't be trusted. At this point, it's boiled down to either "Quinn Ewers will blow at least one game" and, well, young QBs usually do try to lose you at least one game a year on their own. The other is "Sarkisian has never done it. He'll lock up and fuck at least two up. " and , well, until he's done it, he hasn't done it. Nifty logic pretzel, I guess.

Just now, closetojumping said:

I see your crusade on this. I don't have a problem with it or an edit. I just know that, when it happens, it will be all the media talks about in terms of "same ol'Texas" so I'm cheering for it to be a well fought game when it happens and for it to not happen more than once.

I have a few friends that wind up in stories, tv and radio and they're all working to nitpick why they've got anxieties and how Texas can't be trusted. At this point, it's boiled down to either "Quinn Ewers will blow at least one game" and, well, young QBs usually do try to lose you at least one game a year on their own. The other is "Sarkisian has never done it. He'll lock up and fuck at least two up. " and , well, until he's done it, he hasn't done it. Nifty logic pretzel, I guess.

Oh, I don’t dispute that at all. “We all knew Texas would do this” is going to be inevitable when Texas loses, absent injuries and probably even then. There’s one way to put that to rest, but it’s a tall order even for elite teams. 

The problem for Texas, imo, is that even a street fight loss won’t avoid this narrative unless it’s to OU — fuck that — or, maybe, KSU or TCU on the road. Maybe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yeah.  Easy playoff berth with that and Big 12 title win.  And I hope that would be acceptable.  To me, that would be fantastic.

Low key facetious. I’d be pretty damn happy. Especially if it meant getting to beat OU twice, but if OU tanks after Dallas that’s also a bonus. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Low key facetious. I’d be pretty damn happy. Especially if it meant getting to beat OU twice, but if OU tanks after Dallas that’s also a bonus. 

The icing on the cake after drubbing Mobilehoma is their postgame call-in show, but after getting nuked from orbit 49-0 last year I can't even remember them taking any calls because they knew the "fire errbudy" anger they'd get -- Cowards!  Usually that stuff is comedy-gold.  Lulz.

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic