Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

2019, we went to a hockey tournament in Victoria BC.  It was a lot more $$$ to fly straight to Victoria, and there were no rental cars available there, so we flew to SEA and rented a car and drove around to the Victoria ferry in Port Angeles:

image.png.59adde4af2d204a5358c1410b26148ab.png

I saw more confederate flags on that drive than I've ever seen in a year in Texas.

Port Angeles itself is pretty cool though, but it's just a hippie mountain town.

Lulz at people shitting on the UC "satellite schools." Almost the whole UC system is in the Public Ivies list. UT System can only dream of having its system schools be half as reputable.

College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)

Miami University (Oxford, OH)

University of California system:

UC Berkeley

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UCLA

UC Riverside

UC San Diego

UC Santa Barbara

UC Santa Cruz

University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of Texas at Austin

University of Vermont (Burlington)

University of Virginia (Charlottesville)

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If she's from there she'll be fine.  It's no worse than what you get in Seattle proper.  A little more exposed so the fronts blowing in can be a little more extreme, but we're not talking North Dakota.  Being from TX and used to 300+ days of sun, Jan and Feb were really tough.  Def had to invest in sun lamps/etc.

My daughter's lived in Austin her whole life.  She's been to Seattle twice, and both times it was clear skies most of the time we were there (mid-March and early August).  She's been to Oregon once, last June, including a stop in Eugene, and it was mostly dreary the entire time.  I keep telling her that she's going to have months of sustained cloudy skies and rain.  She says she knows, yet UDub and Oregon are her top choices right now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

My daughter's lived in Austin her whole life.  She's been to Seattle twice, and both times it was clear skies most of the time we were there (mid-March and early August).  She's been to Oregon once, last June, including a stop in Eugene, and it was mostly dreary the entire time.  I keep telling her that she's going to have months of sustained cloudy skies and rain.  She says she knows, yet UDub and Oregon are her top choices right now.  

UDub is a great school, I don't know much about Oregon.  I loved that area in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, South Austin said:

Yep.  And as I've mentioned before, the UC schools give very little meaningful aid to nonresidents, so if my daughter really wants to attend one of them, she may have to bridge the gap from what her parents will pay with student loans.

Is CA somewhat like Texas schools where you can play the resident game and then start getting in-state tuition?

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The way hiring is done / handled, I wouldn’t trust hr screening to identify eu colleges 

A very good and fair point.  For ANY uni, know what it can feed you into.  A plant in Texas isn't likely to hire an engineering grad from the University of Strathclyde.  That degree isn't going to get you many jobs in the southern US, period.

But if you're looking at working with multinationals or even just some larger enterprises or NGOs, particularly on the US east coast (or in Europe), they're great degrees.  Also very good for getting into certain grad schools, if grad school is on your mind.

But yes, if your goal is to just be in bidness in Texas (which is a great path -- shit, it's MY path), then no, a foreign uni is probably not what you're looking for.

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Only $2K more than UT out of state, but yeah that out of state tax is heavy

image.png.26b4913f176edcfbc0710fbf8d6c02be.png

That's absurd too.  I mean, for real, let's not play the game of "back in my day" but UT was a looooooot cheaper when I went through.  Its all kind of a racket.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Is CA somewhat like Texas schools where you can play the resident game and then start getting in-state tuition?

UC schools, especially UCLA pissed off their lege by admitting so many Int'l studies because of the extra $$$. Basically the UC schools were mandated to start prioritizing in-state students over out of state and Int'l applicants. From that, I know UC Davis basically didn't admit anyone not from Cali. Other schools severely limited their non-CA acceptance. At least that was a few years ago. Not sure if that's changed.

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

U of Tulsa has an impressive business program that has peaked some interest with one of them but with only 3000 students, it may be a tough sell to actually live there. (Lots of business school kids getting hired at JP Morgan and Blackrock)

No offense, but the bold?

There's not "lots of" McCombs kids getting into IB, PE and hedgefunds. Hard for me to believe Tulsa is a hot bed pipeline for Goldman and Blackrock.

7b4.gif

14 minutes ago, texasdago said:

That's absurd too.  I mean, for real, let's not play the game of "back in my day" but UT was a looooooot cheaper when I went through.  Its all kind of a racket.  

I started at UT right when they deregulated the tuition.  My costs doubled over the course of 4 years if I remember correctly and they were still a LOT less than this.  This goes back to my trade school argument.  There are not a lot of professions that would support taking on $200K in student cost/debt over 4 years.  It's something as a parent you should at least consider.  

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And June is one of the least dreary times of the year here in Eugene.

UO if you want a medium sized town with nature all around. 45 minutes to the ocean. 45 minutes in the other direction to the mountains.  If you are an outdoor person, it is the way to go but Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a real thing. It can really hit people when we hit that stretch of 8 or so months of cloudy.  I can speak directly to UO as I work here if you have any particular questions.

Udub if they want the urban experience. Seattle is a fun city.  Personally, I'd rather send a kiddo to UW but UO is a great experience as well.  Housing costs are expensive in both. 

I've said this before. Parents and kids need to approach college tuition as an investment and choose a major which gives them a return, hopefully a nice return, for their money. IMO, it makes no fucking sense to spend $100k-$300k to graduate with an English or Art History degree where the starting salary and lifetime earnings potential is more limited than other degrees. 22 year old college grad may love the idea of being an art critic or a teacher. 40 year old college graduate trying to navigate retirement, home ownership, putting food on the table, maybe taking an annual vacation or 2, saving for wedding expenses and college tuition for the 2.1 kids is going to hate the realization of a teacher's salary.

Money doesn't buy happiness...but it sure can reduce the stresses in the 2nd half of your life. And people who say money can't buy happiness are the ones with money. Poor parents never believe that bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Renarka said:

And June is one of the least dreary times of the year here in Eugene.

UO if you want a medium sized town with nature all around. 45 minutes to the ocean. 45 minutes in the other direction to the mountains.  If you are an outdoor person, it is the way to go but Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a real thing. It can really hit people when we hit that stretch of 8 or so months of cloudy.  I can speak directly to UO as I work here if you have any particular questions.

Udub if they want the urban experience. Seattle is a fun city.  Personally, I'd rather send a kiddo to UW but UO is a great experience as well.  Housing costs are expensive in both. 

My best friend went to UO. He was born and raised in SF, but couldn't get into any good Cali schools, and UO was easy. He's 15 years older than applicants today, but when he was going to UO it was known as the Bay Area safety school where kids in SF go who want a party school with decent education and career prospects.

And Oregon Ducks football fans are surprisingly rabid and delusional.

Edited by FunDip

1 minute ago, FunDip said:

My best friend went to UO. He was born and raised in SF, but couldn't get into any good Cali schools, and UO was easy. He's 15 years older than applicants today, but when he was going to UO it was known as the Bay Area safety school where kids in SF go who want a party school with decent education and career prospects.

Still viewed as such. For her out of state schools, my niece in Cali has UDub first because it's got better academics and UO as a safety party school with somewhat reputable academics. 

UO is definitely still easy. Acceptance rates are really high right now.  Flooded with as many undergraduates as possible during the last couple cycles.

They definitely take their sports serious around here. Autzen is a pretty fun stadium and Reser (Oregon State) is only 45 min away or so.  Both are fun places to catch a game.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I've said this before. Parents and kids need to approach college tuition as an investment and choose a major which gives them a return, hopefully a nice return, for their money. IMO, it makes no fucking sense to spend $100k-$300k to graduate with an English or Art History degree where the starting salary and lifetime earnings potential is more limited than other degrees. 22 year old college grad may love the idea of being an art critic or a teacher. 40 year old college graduate trying to navigate retirement, home ownership, putting food on the table, maybe taking an annual vacation or 2, saving for wedding expenses and college tuition for the 2.1 kids is going to hate the realization of a teacher's salary.

Money doesn't buy happiness...but it sure can reduce the stresses in the 2nd half of your life. And people who say money can't buy happiness are the ones with money. Poor parents never believe that bullshit.

So very true, and I've started having this rate-of-return discussion with my daughter.  You want to attend UDub?  Great, but it's going to be hard for your mom and I to pay a hefty nonresident price tag if you want to be an English and Education major (side note: Her dad was an English major, but (1) it was at UT in the mid-90's when tuition was dirt cheap, and (2) I knew I wanted to go to law school, where an English major suited me very well, so you can say my college choice resulted in a very positive rate of return).  And if that's the case, and she take out student loans to help pay for one of those kinds of majors, that's going to further weigh down your rate-of-return when you graduate.

I think she understands, because she's exploring majors that might lead to careers in a corporate context (e.g., business, communications).  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 Highly-Respected Public Universities That Accept More Than 50% Of Students Who Apply

• University of Alabama – 80%
  • Arizona State University – 90%
  • University of Arizona – 87%
  • University of Arkansas – 79%
  • University of Colorado – 81%
  • University of Connecticut – 55%
  • Indiana University – 82%
  • Iowa State University – 90%
  • University of Iowa – 86%
  • Louisiana State University – 76%
  • University of Kansas – 88%
  • University of Kentucky – 95%
  • University of Massachusetts – 64%
  • Michigan State University – 88%
  • University of Minnesota – 75%
  • University of Missouri – 79%
  • University of Nebraska – 79%
  • The Ohio State University – 53%
  • University of Oklahoma – 73%
  • Oregon State University – 83%
  • University of Oregon – 86%
  • Penn State University – 55%
  • Purdue University – 53%
  • Rutgers University – 66%
  • University of South Carolina – 64%
  • SUNY - University at Buffalo – 68%
  • University of Tennessee – 68%
  • Texas A&M University – 63%
  • University of Utah – 89%
  • Virginia Tech – 57%

33 minutes ago, FunDip said:

There's not "lots of" McCombs kids getting into IB, PE and hedgefunds. Hard for me to believe Tulsa is a hot bed pipeline for Goldman and Blackrock.

7b4.gif

I have at least five former students who have gotten jobs at Goldman straight out of Texas State, because we have a badass undergraduate student-managed investment fund course.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

30 Highly-Respected Public Universities That Accept More Than 50% Of Students Who Apply

• Virginia Tech – 57%

Virginia tech surprises me. I had always heard it was a premiere spot, like Georgia Tech but a tad bit worse.

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

• Virginia Tech – 57%

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

So very true, and I've started having this rate-of-return discussion with my daughter.  You want to attend UDub?  Great, but it's going to be hard for your mom and I to pay a hefty nonresident price tag if you want to be an English and Education major (side note: Her dad was an English major, but (1) it was at UT in the mid-90's when tuition was dirt cheap, and (2) I knew I wanted to go to law school, where an English major suited me very well, so you can say my college choice resulted in a very positive rate of return).  And if that's the case, and she take out student loans to help pay for one of those kinds of majors, that's going to further weigh down your rate-of-return when you graduate.

I think she understands, because she's exploring majors that might lead to careers in a corporate context (e.g., business, communications).  

My conversation with my daughter when she was considering being a teacher.

Me: Teaching is a noble profession. But, let me ask you a few questions. Do you like having all these nice clothes?

Her: Yes

Me: Do you like going on vacations to nice places and staying in nice resorts?

Me: Do you like eating sushi a few times a month?

Me: Well, you're not doing any of that on a teacher's salary.

Her: (light bulb moment!)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, crash_davis said:

Me: Teaching is a noble profession. But, let me ask you a few questions. Do you like having all these nice clothes?

To add an additional point that my fiancé makes to her daughter (having leaned a tough life reality herself):

”Do you think you can support yourself and your kids on a teacher’s salary after your husband leaves you in his midlife crisis?”

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I have at least five former students who have gotten jobs at Goldman straight out of Texas State, because we have a badass undergraduate student-managed investment fund course.  

Is that 5 per class? 5 in total? Either way, that's awesome for you and your school, but 5 doesn't equate to "lots of" in the recruitment cycle for finance IMO.

I don't understand college/university at all. It all seems like a scam nowadays there is no way you get value for your degree if the level of education hasn't DRASTICALLY improved since I went to school. I learned jack shit and I know a lot of others with the same experience. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, FunDip said:

Is that 5 per class? 5 in total? Either way, that's awesome for you and your school, but 5 doesn't equate to "lots of" in the recruitment cycle for finance IMO.

It might be 5 per class if we're talking all IBs, not just Goldman.  We have a whole mafia managing money at TRS, too.  

Just now, immamac said:

I don't understand college/university at all. It all seems like a scam nowadays there is no way you get value for your degree if the level of education hasn't DRASTICALLY improved since I went to school. I learned jack shit and I know a lot of others with the same experience. 

UT has a changed a shitton since when we were there. The way they teach is drastically different. My kids seem to know way the fuck more shit than I did when I graduated.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

UT has a changed a shitton since when we were there. The way they teach is drastically different. My kids seem to know way the fuck more shit than I did when I graduated.

I mean I deal with a lot of NCG's at a fortune 500 company. They are all idiots and coming from top tier schools still. There are very few bright people even from top tier programs. In my household I won't be putting a high value on a university experience unless it's a very specific STEM type degree in a professional field. 

I do want my kids to be able to get into the school that they want, but I don't even know how you pay for that even with a high net worth it's a bit ridiculous what it costs now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Ummm, who's gonna tell him

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Now that's a strong endorsement for A&M right there.

• Haha 9

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

We had a similar conversation with my daughter a couple of years ago over Christmas, as she looked around and said "you know....I'm realizing that right now, I'm living in probably the wealthiest household I'll live in for the rest of my life."  [She's a linguistics/languages person, looking at grad school and career paths that would eventually put her in management with a multinational/NGO]

To which I answered "you're probably right.  But there's a WHOLE lot between this household and "oh crap, how am I going to pay the bills" where you can be plenty happy with your life."  There are some careers that put you way too close to the "oh crap how am I going to pay the bills," but there are plenty where you do just fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, FunDip said:

7b4.gif

Lots was the wrong word - the dean of the finance department told me "some" their recent graduates got positions at BlackRock and JP Morgan.  In 21-22 class, they had 221 graduates with 41 in finance where 97% either got jobs or are in grad school.

Employers of students graduating in finance that year include:

Baptist College Ministries BC Shumen BKD CPAs & Advisors BOK Financial Cinemark Theatres Deloitte EY LLPFellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) Fleming Construction Group George Kaiser Family Foundation Goldman Sachs JPMorgan Chase & Co. Magellan Midstream Partners, L.P. Northstar Wealth Management Nuance Communications Verizon Volkswagen Group of America Walmart Corporate

Interesting thing Tulsa offers is a 100% guarantee you will find a job within 6 months of graduation.  (What that really means is they will pay for your first semester (or year? I don't recall) of grad school if you don't land a job.)

https://utulsa.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/2021-2022-FDS-Report.pdf

I started at UT right when they deregulated the tuition.  My costs doubled over the course of 4 years if I remember correctly and they were still a LOT less than this.  This goes back to my trade school argument.  There are not a lot of professions that would support taking on $200K in student cost/debt over 4 years.  It's something as a parent you should at least consider.  

This goes to the racket of college loans. In a true biz environment there’s no way one could borrow $300k for a uppity school medieval French lit degree. Uhh how will you pay that back?

I lucked out. My son graduated at 17 and really wanted to be a tradesman like a car stereo installer or mechanic. He went straight into the Air Force and I paid $1800 up front to buy his gi bill benefits. He did not take advantage of the uMaryland classes on base but when he left after 8 years he looked into it. When he saw they’d pay him $3k a month to go to school he jumped on it and the AF had taught him how to study and learn. He got his BA in biz and is 6 hours short of his masters. 3 kids, work, and lots of hobbies I don’t know if he’ll finish anytime soon.

If your kid is not focused on college the military, especially the Air Force and Navy provide a great place to learn responsibility and accountability. My son was a crew chief of a B52 at 19 with a crew reporting to him; outside the gate he wouldn’t have had that responsibility. Solid retirement fast too.

I went to a small liberal arts school (Rhodes)and wouldn’t trade it for a big college. A well endowed school like that allows undergrads to do things that are normally in grad school at state schools. Depending on what you want to do. No one mentions them here much.

It’s a shame college has escalated in costs so dramatically. In the late 70’s one could get an great engineering degree at a school like uta for like $6 -8 an hour so one could work and easily pay for school. That was a big enabler.
  • Hook 'Em 5