Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

39 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's not great. Also, you'd be shocked how awful the weather is 9 months out of the year. Weather is amazing when college kids aren't there

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Really? How could that location not be spectacular? It's on the coast between Seattle and Vancouver.

My niece no pics goes there and from all reports it’s amazing.  Her dorm room window overlooks the water.  Looks pretty fuckin awesome from the pics I’ve seen.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Dude I've spent some time in Northern Idaho and that describes it to a tee. Ted Kaczynski and the Weavers were up there. It's incredibly beautiful and chock full of weirdos. One minute you're talking to a guy at a bar about basketball and the next minute he changes the subject to posse comitatus and courts of Admiralty. 

We can definitely go off on a tangent but anti-government nationalists idiots were/are shooting up power stations in the PNW. The survivalist, anti-government mentality is pervasive when you get outside of the major cities.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

My niece no pics goes there and from all reports it’s amazing.  Her dorm room window overlooks the water.  Looks pretty fuckin awesome from the pics I’ve seen.

Do you enjoy 9:30 AM sunrises and 4 PM sunsets and when the sun is up, it's cloudy and raining?  Most people forget how far north that really is because of the fact that it doesn't get very cold.  

I bet she doesn't post pics when it's raining, which is most of the time.  I lived there for a few years and it's awful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

The fucking idiot Brits and Brexit wrecked this for our kids.  They have UK citizenship through their grandmother, but the EU has now gone out with the bathwater. 

Don't sleep on schools in the UK.  Bozo's daughter goes to Edinburgh (and my daughter almost did), and my son goes to U of Glasgow.  We have friends at University College London, and my daughter has looked at a grad program in Manchester.  Getting UK tuition would be a sweet deal.  It's still cheaper than private universities in the US, and not MUCH more than many publics in the US, but in-UK is a steal.

• Hook 'Em 3

Fun topic,

I was having lunch last week with a top 3 customer on the gulf coast and they were discussing having a hard time finding operators, outside mechanics, i&e people - I told them go hire C students from smaller engineering schools. Make it a 3 years rotation, you work all 3 jobs for a year, then they get assigned to a job. You’ll get a better quality person than most the tech schools can put out. Any college grad will jump on $100k+ year one.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm batting .500.  One is a senior in HS and really liked his trip to AR and the more he dug, the more he wants to go the biz school route and supply chain logistics (which AR does a great job with).  It's close, but not too close.  Decent size, not too expensive, and has that "big" college feel nestled in the mountains and the town really supports the school. 

I've got senior twins and one of them is probably going the same route as yours at AR... Visited the past weekend and we all really like the campus and the vibe and momma loved the downtown shopping area as well.  They did say on the tour that this would most likely be the last year of the out-of-state deductions - IIRC, in-state plus 50% for 3.2 GPA, in-state+30% for 3.5 and in-state+10% for 3.7 (or .8?)gpa. If both do go to UA, I'll probably be buying a house for them to share and rent out a room or have a place for us to crash, store my fly fishing gear and visit often...

OSU felt like a condensed version of TT but with a few trees and no stench but in the middle of no where.  The town of Stillwater seemed tiny and you probably want to roadtrip to anywhere on the weekends.

U of Tulsa has an impressive business program that has peaked some interest with one of them but with only 3000 students, it may be a tough sell to actually live there. (Lots of business school kids getting hired at JP Morgan and Blackrock)

Mrs. took the boys to visit TCU, SMU, UTA and UTD.  TCU was ok "Lots of new money wannabees" , one boys fell in love with SMU (FML).

UTD and UTA - saw them and left in the middle of their tour mainly for the comments previously posted especially about the social aspects. ("No way I'm going here...)

Arizona State, Ol' Miss, Texas State, UTSA and TT visits still to come.

Sucks that the kids attend a HS that hosts the district STEM program (not the school itself but because of the ranking) - a top 10% kid that would be top 6% without all the district kids coming in to attend STEM...

Both also have EU passports so applying several business schools in Europe as well - all with English only programs.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, skilesare said:

You are not wrong, but I'd say it is a both/and.  If you pay taxes in the state you should have a pathway to go to the flagship whether that involves a semester/year(or two) at a satellite, so be it.  We are so tied to the four years in one place narrative that it feels like failure to do something else. The old provisional masked this, the reincarnation didn't....and I don't know if they even do that anymore.  A lot more texas kids could get the "best education" if the moved all freshmen and or sophomore to satellites.  But that would really screw with football...and we can't have that.😬

This sounds like a terrible idea. Sending freshman and/or sophomores to a satellite campus? That seems like a really good way to screw-up the college experience for a bunch of kids. Why can't your "best education" be provided at multiple campuses? Why can the "best education" only be provided in Austin. Honestly, using your logic, the "best education" can only be provided in Houston since Rice is the top ranked University in Texas.

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm batting .500.  One is a senior in HS and really liked his trip to AR and the more he dug, the more he wants to go the biz school route and supply chain logistics (which AR does a great job with).  It's close, but not too close.  Decent size, not too expensive, and has that "big" college feel nestled in the mountains and the town really supports the school.  Fuck aggy and when we toured OU and they played that ass-whipping of a fight song my wife grabbed him and they left.  It was kind of awesome

The other one, she's got her moms genes.  Straight A's, multi sport athlete and every hoodie she has (which is all she wears) is Longhorn gear.  She can get in and more importantly, wants in.  Possibly via athletics

UNT has a pretty good logistics and supply chain program as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Arizona State, Ol' Miss, Texas State, UTSA and TT visits still to come.

If you're going to take a look at ASU, you should also look at UofA. I'm not exactly impartial since I'm married to a UofA grad, but I think it has a prettier campus with more of a collegiate feel than ASU does. We lived in PHX for nearly two decades and ASU kind of gets lost in the shuffle of a gigantic metropolis. Tucson is a much smaller city, although not a small city, and is the only game in town. We go to Tucson every year for a long weekend during basketball season and it's one of the trips I look forward to the most. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fun topic,

I was having lunch last week with a top 3 customer on the gulf coast and they were discussing having a hard time finding operators, outside mechanics, i&e people - I told them go hire C students from smaller engineering schools. Make it a 3 years rotation, you work all 3 jobs for a year, then they get assigned to a job. You’ll get a better quality person than most the tech schools can put out. Any college grad will jump on $100k+ year one.

Also, college isn't for everyone.  If my kids were different I'd be pushing them towards a trade.  Become an electrician and then eventually build out your own company.  AI isn't going to replace a breaker or run a new line of romex.  Hot, sweaty, hard work, but it is only going to be more and more in demand.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

If you're going to take a look at ASU, you should also look at UofA. I'm not exactly impartial since I'm married to a UofA grad, but I think it has a prettier campus with more of a collegiate feel than ASU does. We lived in PHX for nearly two decades and ASU kind of gets lost in the shuffle of a gigantic metropolis. Tucson is a much smaller city, although not a small city, and is the only game in town. We go to Tucson every year for a long weekend during basketball season and it's one of the trips I look forward to the most. 

Any thoughts around GCU?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

Why can't your "best education" be provided at multiple campuses? Why can the "best education" only be provided in Austin. Honestly, using your logic, the "best education" can only be provided in Houston since Rice is the top ranked University in Texas.

Ask Cali. Yeah they’re all great schools, and none of them hold the weight of their flagship. 

Edited by fattyflattie
*of

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't sleep on schools in the UK.  Bozo's daughter goes to Edinburgh (and my daughter almost did), and my son goes to U of Glasgow.  We have friends at University College London, and my daughter has looked at a grad program in Manchester.  Getting UK tuition would be a sweet deal.  It's still cheaper than private universities in the US, and not MUCH more than many publics in the US, but in-UK is a steal.

You know those schools are every bit as hard to get into as Texas, right? 

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Ask Cali. Yeah they’re all great schools, and none of them hold the weight of their flagship. 

Huh?

Not that I treat USNWR rankings as the infallible bible, but.....

UC Berkeley and UCLA tied for the best public university in the country, with six University of California undergraduate campuses among the top 20 and all nine in the top 40, according to the new 2023-24 Best Colleges rankings, published today (Sept. 18) by U.S. News & World Report.

When your SIXTH in-state public university still makes the national top-20....you don't just have a good system, it's outstanding.  And your top 2 occupy the top 2 spots nationally?  Again, when it comes to public universities, there's California, then there's everywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

You know those schools are every bit as hard to get into as Texas, right? 

Not true.  My daughter was our academic star....and she wasn't top 6%.  Our son is a good student, really smart kid, bit of a late bloomer.  No WAY he gets into UT.  

Yes, some of the top foreign schools (Edinburgh, Oxford, McGill) are really competitive and hard to get into (some harder than UT, some still hard but not as difficult).  But there's a lot of other great schools in the UK that aren't as hard to get into as UT (Manchester, Glasgow - and quite a few others, those are just the two I know something about).

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Huh?

Not that I treat USNWR rankings as the infallible bible, but.....

When your SIXTH in-state public university still makes the national top-20....you don't just have a good system, it's outstanding.  And your top 2 occupy the top 2 spots nationally?  Again, when it comes to public universities, there's California, then there's everywhere else.

I don’t disagree, they have it together.  But employers aren’t treating UCLA the same as UC-whatever the fuck, fairly or not.   Also, USNWR sees aggy pretty favorable, but seriously, they gave some flawed ways of coming to their rankings.   

My point is you can build UT-D (or any of the others) up for the next 20 years and it still isn’t going to be UT-Austin.  Fair or not.  It WILL be an improvement of what we have now.  But you’re still going to fight the Ark/Bama/Miss etc drain.  They’ll get hired faster than directional satellite of a good school. 

15 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Also, college isn't for everyone.  If my kids were different I'd be pushing them towards a trade.  Become an electrician and then eventually build out your own company.  AI isn't going to replace a breaker or run a new line of romex.  Hot, sweaty, hard work, but it is only going to be more and more in demand.

Any thoughts around GCU?

Seriously?   It's a for-profit religious school.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Any thoughts around GCU?

If their kid didn't like UTD or UTA due to the feeling of a commuter school, they're not going to like GCU. On top of that, it's a for profit school with the majority of students attending online. In addition, they have relatively few full-time faculty and literally thousands of adjunct professors.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Dude I've spent some time in Northern Idaho and that describes it to a tee. Ted Kaczynski and the Weavers were up there. It's incredibly beautiful and chock full of weirdos. One minute you're talking to a guy at a bar about basketball and the next minute he changes the subject to posse comitatus and courts of Admiralty. 

I wish I had taken pictures of some of the bonkers Confederate and "Confederate-adjacent" houses we saw in Oregon.  Their backwoods folks are something else.  Same goes for NorCal.  That said, I would love for my boys to look at a school in Oregon... and Parent's weekend.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not true.  My daughter was our academic star....and she wasn't top 6%.  Our son is a good student, really smart kid, bit of a late bloomer.  No WAY he gets into UT.  

Yes, some of the top foreign schools (Edinburgh, Oxford, McGill) are really competitive and hard to get into (some harder than UT, some still hard but not as difficult).  But there's a lot of other great schools in the UK that aren't as hard to get into as UT (Manchester, Glasgow - and quite a few others, those are just the two I know something about).

We have VERY different expectations of this thread. They may not be AS hard to get into as UT but these are extremely selective options and simply not realistic for most of us on this thread unless your kids are making straight As and at least half of them are AP courses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t disagree, they have it together.  But employers aren’t treating UCLA the same as UC-whatever the fuck, fairly or not.   Also, USNWR sees aggy pretty favorable, but seriously, they gave some flawed ways of coming to their rankings.   

My point is you can build UT-D (or any of the others) up for the next 20 years and it still isn’t going to be UT-Austin.  Fair or not.  It WILL be an improvement of what we have now.  But you’re still going to fight the Ark/Bama/Miss etc drain.  They’ll get hired faster than directional satellite of a good school. 

Someone graduating with a CS or engineering degree from UTD is going to get hired faster than a grad from any of those schools you listed. Also, quit calling them directional satellites. They are neither directional nor satellites. They are standalone universities that are part of the UT system. If the state invested more in those schools we could combat the brain drain of smart kids going to middling SEC schools.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

We have VERY different expectations of this thread. They may not be AS hard to get into as UT but these are extremely selective options and simply not realistic for most of us on this thread unless your kids are making straight As and at least half of them are AP courses. 

I PROMISE you that my son didn't have straight A's to get into Glasgow.  And Manchester is similar, from what I understand.  There's also Newcastle, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds....quite a few that aren't as competitive as the Oxfords and Edinburghs.  I know that the "higher-end" UK unis are intimidating, but there's a tier below them that is much more attainable, especially because they are trying to attract foreign tuition dollars.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Someone graduating with a CS or engineering degree from UTD is going to get hired faster than a grad from any of those schools you listed. Also, quit calling them directional satellites. They are neither directional nor satellites. They are standalone universities that are part of the UT system. If the state invested more in those schools we could combat the brain drain of smart kids going to middling SEC schools.

And this.

UC San Diego is a kickass school, period.  Is it a "satellite?"  By the definition used here, sure...but it's an excellent degree, stand-alone.  The UT system should aspire to be close to that level.

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I wish I had taken pictures of some of the bonkers Confederate and "Confederate-adjacent" houses we saw in Oregon.  Their backwoods folks are something else.  Same goes for NorCal.  That said, I would love for my boys to look at a school in Oregon... and Parent's weekend.

2019, we went to a hockey tournament in Victoria BC.  It was a lot more $$$ to fly straight to Victoria, and there were no rental cars available there, so we flew to SEA and rented a car and drove around to the Victoria ferry in Port Angeles:

image.png.59adde4af2d204a5358c1410b26148ab.png

I saw more confederate flags on that drive than I've ever seen in a year in Texas.

• Haha 1

Just now, royiv said:

Well, I watch and participate in it pretty regularly. UT-D for computer science, yes.   Thier engineering wouldn’t get a second look at any place I’ve been in last nearly 20 years.  BUT, plenty of LSU/Bama/UH engineers.   Only place I’ve ever seen the city-university’s have success was Chevron. They liked to put one graduate from every school there is for some reason.   Mediocre named school >> “standalone” city named university 9/10 times for gainful employment.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I PROMISE you that my son didn't have straight A's to get into Glasgow.  And Manchester is similar, from what I understand.  There's also Newcastle, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds....quite a few that aren't as competitive as the Oxfords and Edinburghs.  I know that the "higher-end" UK unis are intimidating, but there's a tier below them that is much more attainable, especially because they are trying to attract foreign tuition dollars.

It was the Edinburgh refrence that triggered the response. Did a little googling and Glasgow is definitely not on that level of selectivity:

Which (UK) universities are the easiest to get into?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

2019, we went to a hockey tournament in Victoria BC.  It was a lot more $$$ to fly straight to Victoria, and there were no rental cars available there, so we flew to SEA and rented a car and drove around to the Victoria ferry in Port Angeles:

image.png.59adde4af2d204a5358c1410b26148ab.png

I saw more confederate flags on that drive than I've ever seen in a year in Texas.

My wife's family has a lakehouse a couple of hours north of Portland. When we go up there on our annual summer visit, I see more confederate flags in a week than I have in a lifetime in Texas. You get just a little bit out of Portland or Seattle and that part of the country is like Deliverance.

50 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Do you enjoy 9:30 AM sunrises and 4 PM sunsets and when the sun is up, it's cloudy and raining?  Most people forget how far north that really is because of the fact that it doesn't get very cold.  

I bet she doesn't post pics when it's raining, which is most of the time.  I lived there for a few years and it's awful.

She is a freshman so she hasn’t been there thru a winter yet, so maybe she will turn sour on it then.  But she grew up in the SeaTac area so I doubt it’ll affect her all that much.  I’m sure for somebody from Texas the short days and frequent dreary weather may be a drag (but can’t possibly be more of a drag than the blastfurnace in Texas).

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

And this.

UC San Diego is a kickass school, period.  Is it a "satellite?"  By the definition used here, sure...but it's an excellent degree, stand-alone.  The UT system should aspire to be close to that level.

It took me a while to shake my way of thinking as a UT grad, but it’s not “Cal and then everyone else”, it’s “Cal/UCLA=best public’s in the US and the rest are simply excellent”. It’s becoming more so as competition increases. No reason why Texas can’t aspire for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is a thrilling debate but if I could just jump in and make the quick point that 99% of kids (or their parents) in America aren't going to want to fly across the Atlantic to go to school. 

It works out for some but I don't think it's going to be high on the list for typical American 18 year olds - especially if their parents can't afford flights back and forth. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, I watch and participate in it pretty regularly. UT-D for computer science, yes.   Thier engineering wouldn’t get a second look at any place I’ve been in last nearly 20 years.  BUT, plenty of LSU/Bama/UH engineers.   Only place I’ve ever seen the city-university’s have success was Chevron. They liked to put one graduate from every school there is for some reason.   Mediocre named school >> “standalone” city named university 9/10 times for gainful employment.  

Houston ship channel and their downtown offices are full of u of h grads. 

go follow cp chem social media, they just hit many small engineering programs for career days for a reason, and they’re offering top pay 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Using that logic UH shouldn't get a second look since it's a "standalone city named university." I guess UCLA grads also don't get a second look since they have a city in their name? Oh shit, I almost forgot that the school that this message board is focused on is the University of Texas at Austin. Damn, another "standalone city named university."

You're focused on the wrong thing here to try to win some sort of school name pissing contest. Texas needs to invest more in education or risk massive brain drain. Economic growth grinds to a halt when we can't produce enough quality grads to fill jobs. Companies will slow or stop growing here and we won't be able to attract new ones if we don't have the talent.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a thrilling debate but if I could just jump in and make the quick point that 99% of kids (or their parents) in America aren't going to want to fly across the Atlantic to go to school. 

It works out for some but I don't think it's going to be high on the list for typical American 18 year olds - especially if their parents can't afford flights back and forth. 

A very, very fair point.  Clearly, it adds to the cost (even if all you pay for is 1-2 RT flights for the kiddo a year).  Just want to put it out there as something to think about (I mean, it never even OCCURRED to my wife or me when we were college-aged).  It's a path to -- in some cases -- a higher-quality education (especially if your kid is one of those looking to leave Texas) at a lower cost than many privates (and comparable or lower than many out-of-state publics). 

For example, the boy's final choices were down to University of Denver and University of Glasgow (he wants to focus on international relations, so that's how they figured in).  He had nice scholarships to U of Denver, and his choice to go to Glasgow STILL saved us approx $20k per year over Denver.  If your kiddo is looking to leave Texas, and their options are an American private school, an American state school with out-of-state tuition, or a school in Canada or the UK....there's a good chance that one of the foreign schools will be the better financial choice.  No guarantee, but quite possible.

And @The Dog, good find on that list.  Most anything in that band of 40%-70% acceptance rate in the UK is going to be a plenty good uni (oddly enough, the boy got shot down by Queen Mary in London, which has a HIGHER acceptance rate, but Glasgow was quick to admit him).

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Using that logic UH shouldn't get a second look since it's a "standalone city named university." I guess UCLA grads also don't get a second look since they have a city in their name? Oh shit, I almost forgot that the school that this message board is focused on is the University of Texas at Austin. Damn, another "standalone city named university."

You're focused on the wrong thing here to try to win some sort of school name pissing contest. Texas needs to invest more in education or risk massive brain drain. Economic growth grinds to a halt when we can't produce enough quality grads to fill jobs. Companies will slow or stop growing here and we won't be able to attract new ones if we don't have the talent.

u of h has a very good business school, some damn good profs. The university has damn good leadership too

*u of h mba here, in class full time mba 

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

She is a freshman so she hasn’t been there thru a winter yet, so maybe she will turn sour on it then.  But she grew up in the SeaTac area so I doubt it’ll affect her all that much.  I’m sure for somebody from Texas the short days and frequent dreary weather may be a drag (but can’t possibly be more of a drag than the blastfurnace in Texas).

If she's from there she'll be fine.  It's no worse than what you get in Seattle proper.  A little more exposed so the fronts blowing in can be a little more extreme, but we're not talking North Dakota.  Being from TX and used to 300+ days of sun, Jan and Feb were really tough.  Def had to invest in sun lamps/etc.

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

u of h has a very good business school, some damn good profs. The university has damn good leadership too

*u of h mba here, in class full time mba 

Yep, and improving. I've been impressed by the UofH leadership. If only they didn't have Tillman sucking up so much of the air in the room, but I get that they're always going to be beholden to their wealthiest alum.

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

At least for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Oxford/Cambridge grades don't count. It's only ACT/SAT + AP Test Scores. For Edinburgh for her major I think it it was at least 4 4s, and one of them had to be BC calculus, plus a 1300+ SAT score. For Oxford it was four 5s, and one of them had to be BC calculus, plus a 1480 SAT score. 

Not to get on a tangent but how's this for a bad beat: she was qualified but Oxford has an additional entry test, which for AISD students must be taken at an AISD campus location. So she starts the test and feels like she's doing well. She's in the flow and all is good until the Wifi goes down multiple times over the course of an hour during the test, and they had to stop and log back in. She was rattled and worried about her score. It turned out she did ok - not as well as she might have done, but still quite well, BUT the test logged suspicious activity as a result of the logging on and off in a short time frame, and that was that: no dream school.
in retrospect, however, Edinburgh was absolutely the better choice for her, and she has said multiple times since then that as angry as she was under the circumstances, the wifi going down was probably the a lucky break. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And this.

Same with UC - Davis and Cal Poly.  In fact UC - Davis finished higher than UT in the latest US News & World rankings

image.png.dee1ec7f0c208f80a25e7536b5d58184.png

48 minutes ago, royiv said:

We've got a list for the kids from a consultant that provided us a top 15 list based on degree (business), grades, ranking, scores and the possibility to get academic scholarships.  ASU was on the list but not UofA (or OU since they stopped the out-of-state discounts).  (Ol' Miss wasn't either but it's been a personal favorite of one of mine for some reason - probably friends that currently attend there now...)