Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

12 minutes ago, yoladu said:

A lot of our smartest kids are leaving the state.

It's not just that - no CR, but multiple college counselors and admissions officers have told me that starting last year there has been a huge and unprecedented surge (particularly among girls but also with boys) who want to go to school out of state with the goal of establishing residency and professional networks elsewhere and moving away permanently. Texas has historically been the stickiest state, but I think it's possible we are seeing the beginning of a brain drain. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's not just that - no CR, but multiple college counselors and admissions officers have told me that starting last year there has been a huge and unprecedented surge (particularly among girls but also with boys) who want to go to school out of state with the goal of establishing residency and professional networks elsewhere and moving away permanently. Texas has historically been the stickiest state, but I think it's possible we are seeing the beginning of a brain drain. 

No doubt about it, and no question as to why, but that's a discussion for another forum.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm batting .500.  One is a senior in HS and really liked his trip to AR and the more he dug, the more he wants to go the biz school route and supply chain logistics (which AR does a great job with).  It's close, but not too close.  Decent size, not too expensive, and has that "big" college feel nestled in the mountains and the town really supports the school.  Fuck aggy and when we toured OU and they played that ass-whipping of a fight song my wife grabbed him and they left.  It was kind of awesome

The other one, she's got her moms genes.  Straight A's, multi sport athlete and every hoodie she has (which is all she wears) is Longhorn gear.  She can get in and more importantly, wants in.  Possibly via athletics

Plus (you said you were in FISD), the trend the last decade at this point, because none of the smart but not top 6% boys in the Frisco/Plano area can get into UT anymore, there is a ton of out of state exodus. So all your boys friends are going to Bama and Arky and OU, etc.

I had the same conversations with my kids who were FISD. The majority of their class who weren't top 6% who went to public school, went to A&M or out of state (Ark, tons of Bama, OU) rather than go to Tech or UNT or something like that.

And I sympathize. I wouldn't get into UT today if I was a senior, but would still want the college experience I got at UT with Greek life and football games and being able to party but also get a degree that can get a decent paying job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

They're going to have to present me with an extraordinarily compelling case to pay for other private or out of state schools.  My guess is they’ll both end up at Texas State where they will coast thru like I did at Texas.  And if they want to go to Aggy or OU I will still love them but they’re out of the will.

From an early age I set the expectation with the girls that I would do whatever it takes to ensure that they obtain an undergraduate degree without taking on debt, with the following conditions:
1) It has to be a school/major they are happy to attend and genuinely interested in and
2) Is has to be a school/major with a positive ROI

In other words, if you want to study computer science or econometrics and can get in, great! I will happily write checks to Stanford and Rice.  Humanities or english? Also great! You will love Texas State!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

From the google - This program provides a waiver of nonresident tuition for students from neighboring states (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma) enrolled in certain public institutions in Texas.

I can say that Arkansas in interesting b/c they offer discounts based on GPA. 

We toured UNM a while back because my daughter loves New Mexico.  I will say I was much more impressed with the school than I expected to be...which wasn't at all.  At least the engineering department was very solid.  Both Los Alamos & Sandia have hiring offices in the engineering department. The campus was absolutely gorgeous if you like southwestern architecture.  The biggest draw back is Albuquerque is an absolute dump.  For Texas high schoolers, if you have a 3.0 GPA, you get in-state tuition.  As female in engineering, you'd get basically free tuition...IIRC, they covered all but maybe $2,000 of tuition.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

From an early age I set the expectation with the girls that I would do whatever it takes to ensure that they obtain an undergraduate degree without taking on debt, with the following conditions:
1) It has to be a school/major they are happy to attend and genuinely interested in and
2) Is has to be a school/major with a positive ROI

In other words, if you want to study computer science or econometrics and can get in, great! I will happily write checks to Stanford and Rice.  Humanities or english? Also great! You will love Texas State!

If mine get into Stanford or Rice, I’d happily write the check to pay for liberal arts degrees if that’s what they want to study.  My opinion is that if they work hard enough to gain admittance to one of those schools, they’ve earned my money even if it doesn’t represent a good market value.  But I totally understand the sentiment.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

this was me in college, on the way to a Chemical Engineering degree at a Smaller state school. 

for engineering degrees, all you need is an accredited engineering program. Hottest small school engineering programs - Lamar and McNeese st for sure. Last time I visited a top tier chem plant customer, they had 5 engineers from ut rtv, kind of blew me away. 

I’ve been in rotating equipment for 24 years, my degrees have never been verified 

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think there are also more non-Texans attending school in Texas. I know for a fact that has been the trend with schools like TCU, SMU and Baylor. 

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If mine get into Stanford or Rice, I’d happily write the check to pay for liberal arts degrees if that’s what they want to study.  My opinion is that if they work hard enough to gain admittance to one of those schools, they’ve earned my money even if it doesn’t represent a good market value.  But I totally understand the sentiment.

Totally, I should have mentioned the third scenario - getting a degree in theater from Colby or education degree from Swarthmore. I know people who have done and/or are paying for these things. They chose ... poorly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

grad schools love those two schools, especially female and/or minority and first gen college student 

• Hook 'Em 1

Unfortunately I don't think UT-System will never get close to what the UC System is. As a whole, Cali kids don't care as much about football and athletics the way the Texas kids do. As such, smart and maybe not so smart Cali kids fill out most all of their schools which help to drive investment in those schools to be Public Ivies.

For comparison, I think if Texas kids cannot get into Texas and aggy, then most will go out of state to one of the SEC schools because football and athletics. UT-D is a great success story but the other Texas satellite schools are losing to SEC schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've had 2 graduate from UT and 2 from Arky in last 8 yrs. Loved the arkansas experience. Good business school (Sam Walton).  Supply chain management is their signature business degree. Greek life was solid for them without the exorbitant costs of UT. Given lower housing and overall cost of living in fayetteville,  was less expensive there than UT. Fantastic place to visit as parents.
Both graduated on time, and got good jobs back here in Austin. winner, winner

That’s good to hear. Anyone have any intel on how their engineering grads fare in the market after graduation?

One option as I talk to my son is a program in Europe as his dual citizenship offers him several options...

https://www.italiandualcitizenship.net/healthcare-education-benefits-of-dual-citizens/#:~:text=If you are a legal,members of the European Union.

From what I understand, he can get EU tuition rates.  Not to mention that non-EU citizens can still pay very affordable fees:

Europe is fast becoming a top region for finding study programs in English, even in countries where English is not the local language. If you’re an EU citizen, you can obtain a free university education – with all your lectures taught in English – in around half of all European countries, including Denmark, Austria, Norway and Greece. Fees tend to be higher for non-EU students, but are still comparatively lower than you’ll find in other popular study destinations. English-taught courses were few and far between as recently as 2009, particularly at bachelor’s level, but there has since been a fifty-fold increase in the number of English-taught bachelor’s degrees available. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

UT Dallas is a good school but it's a weird cultural vibe and not a traditional university experience. I don't imagine it's a particularly fun way to spend four years unless your kid is coming from a traditional Indian household.

100% this.

UTD, while ranked well for engineering, is basically a school where STEM-minded folks go while living at home.

Largely Asian and South Asian, so that isn't a weird thing to live at home in your mid-20's, but there is zero American college aesthetic to it. No on-campus culture, no partying, have no idea if there is Greek life but if there is it barely has a pulse, no hot chicks, no #RushTok, etc.

UTA is also largely a commuter school. No idea about UTEP have literally never known anyone to go there except one guy who was born and raised in EP.

I think probably the only UT-system school that would provide, along with the hard values of a good degree, the soft values of a great college experience would be UTSA?

Maybe the correlation is, if you have a D1 football program, then it's a good indicator of a good college experience versus commuter school. If that is the case, the Cal system leave a lot to be desired socially like UTD (Cal-SD, Cal-SB, Cal-SF, Cal-Santa Cruz, Cal-Irvine)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid is top 9%. I'll make her apply to UT but she won't go there unless she happens to get into Cockrell but odds are non-existent with that class rank.  Might as well go elsewhere and major in what you want.  Actually, I doubt she'd go there even if she got into her major of choice.  She doesn't like the campus at all. Having now visited multiple campuses in the past year in, I agree that the campus is pretty underwhelming in amenities and overall maintenance. It still feels stuck in the early 90s when I attended.

My oldest got drafted for Boys State this year and hated the campus.  Here we are in 2023 and the dorm they were put up in didn't have air conditioning.  In Texas.  In June.

Fuck that.

56 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Anything specific? It's 15 miles to Ft Collins and 25 miles to Boulder. He can drive 15 miles now and still be in his High School attendance zone. 

*He really hasn't done much research on Northern Colorado except that they're in Colorado and they have a D1 swimming program. 

It’s a packing town, and smells like it. It’s always struck me as kind of a dirty town, but I have also never been on campus, so he shouldn’t take my word for anything. Much like Tommy Boy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Gambrinus said:

I've had 2 graduate from UT and 2 from Arky in last 8 yrs. Loved the arkansas experience. Good business school (Sam Walton).  Supply chain management is their signature business degree. Greek life was solid for them without the exorbitant costs of UT. Given lower housing and overall cost of living in fayetteville,  was less expensive there than UT. Fantastic place to visit as parents.

Both graduated on time, and got good jobs back here in Austin. winner, winner

Yea, this is the model I'm seeing in the 'burbs. You can be an above average brain and at the same time be an above average frat daddy who likes to chase chicks, drink beer, and watch football, at the SEC schools like you could at UT in the 90's.

Now to get into UT you have to be a rockstar, it seems, for Gen Z, so there is no tier 2 equivalent in the UT system. I think UTSA could be that one day. Otherwise you have to go to Tech, or OU/Arky/Bama/OleMiss, etc.

If you can't get into UT you likely can't get into UF or Georgia either, though.

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

One option as I talk to my son is a program in Europe as his dual citizenship offers him several options...

https://www.italiandualcitizenship.net/healthcare-education-benefits-of-dual-citizens/#:~:text=If you are a legal,members of the European Union.

From what I understand, he can get EU tuition rates.  Not to mention that non-EU citizens can still pay very affordable fees:

Europe is fast becoming a top region for finding study programs in English, even in countries where English is not the local language. If you’re an EU citizen, you can obtain a free university education – with all your lectures taught in English – in around half of all European countries, including Denmark, Austria, Norway and Greece. Fees tend to be higher for non-EU students, but are still comparatively lower than you’ll find in other popular study destinations. English-taught courses were few and far between as recently as 2009, particularly at bachelor’s level, but there has since been a fifty-fold increase in the number of English-taught bachelor’s degrees available. 

look at hiring stats with us companies ?

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Really? How could that location not be spectacular? It's on the coast between Seattle and Vancouver.

Like I've said many times, once you get out of Seattle, Washington is basically Alabama with evergreen trees.   Bellingham didn't handle its transformation from logging town to growth city well at all.  If you go to Bellingham, you'll see numerous confederate flags; Patriot Front is big there.  Worst, the weather is horrific, especially winter because it's about as far north as you can get in the US and the daylight in winter is miniscule.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Like I've said many times, once you get out of Seattle, Washington is basically Alabama with evergreen trees.   Bellingham didn't handle its transformation from logging town to growth city well at all.  If you go to Bellingham, you'll see numerous confederate flags; Patriot Front is big there.  Worst, the weather is horrific, especially winter because it's about as far north as you can get in the US and the daylight in winter is miniscule.  

Confederate flags in the very far Pacific Northwest

image.jpeg.848accad342bb510ffac365cfb93efaa.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

UT Austin does not need to double enrollment. The UT System and the State of Texas need to heavily invest in schools like UT Dallas, UTSA, etc. Look no further than California to see a public school system with multiple top tier public universities. It's a crime that Texas doesn't have the same.

You are not wrong, but I'd say it is a both/and.  If you pay taxes in the state you should have a pathway to go to the flagship whether that involves a semester/year(or two) at a satellite, so be it.  We are so tied to the four years in one place narrative that it feels like failure to do something else. The old provisional masked this, the reincarnation didn't....and I don't know if they even do that anymore.  A lot more texas kids could get the "best education" if the moved all freshmen and or sophomore to satellites.  But that would really screw with football...and we can't have that.😬

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Unfortunately I don't think UT-System will never get close to what the UC System is. As a whole, Cali kids don't care as much about football and athletics the way the Texas kids do. 

That's where my daughter is.  She's applying to UC-San Diego and UC-Santa Cruz, but she's been pretty open about the fact that a school with robust sports programs is important to her.  And I've told her that's not a frivolous consideration, because one reason why my undergraduate experiences were so rich was the sports programs. 

That's why she likely winds up at UDub or Oregon.    

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

pnw outside the big cities is scary. 

What sort of chicanery is that? Washington was admitted to the United States 30 years after the civil war started. Unless there was a huge exodus of confederate southerners to the PNW at some point that I am missing.

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My oldest got drafted for Boys State this year and hated the campus.  Here we are in 2023 and the dorm they were put up in didn't have air conditioning.  In Texas.  In June.

Fuck that.

My kid stayed at Andrews for the Texas volleyball camp this summer and the entire floor was roach infested.  Great impression for all those girls.  I'd never been in that dorm and it looked like it last received a coat of paint in the 70s and had never been remodeled.  The old vents in the room doors from the pre-AC days were just covered with a piece of plywood screwed into the door.  Just shitty all around.

Edited by CooterBrown

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

What sort of chicanery is that? Washington was admitted to the United States 30 years after the civil war started. Unless there was a huge exodus of confederate southerners to the PNW at some point that I am missing.

It’s a symbol of a belief system.  Geography doesn’t really matter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's where my daughter is.  She's applying to UC-San Diego and UC-Santa Cruz, but she's been pretty open about the fact that a school with robust sports programs is important to her.  And I've told her that's not a frivolous consideration, because one reason why my undergraduate experiences were so rich was the sports programs. 

That's why she likely winds up at UDub or Oregon.    

My daughters have friends who went to non-football Cali schools. They weren't big football people to begin with so they don't miss it. However, they LOVE California, the weather, the beach/ocean, and just the whole vibe. None of them are coming back to Texas. Your daughter may miss the football but I'm sure the other things will make up for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

unc-overhead.jpg

Definitely similar, although Lubbock is a much bigger city. Tech's campus is nothing to sneeze at (one of the nicer campuses out there, surprisingly).  Greeley has a decent jazz festival every year, but that's all I've got.  Oh, the feed lots in Lubbock don't blow into town like they used to, so it doesn't stink anymore (supposedly).  Both places have rough weather at times (but so does central TX these days).   I'm pleased to neither live nor work in either place, but wouldn't mind my kids at either school if it was the right fit.  Lots of talk about Texas State around here but little mention of Tech, which is a better university in almost every measurable way (I get that we're supposed to hate them, but I'd rather see my kids there than aggie, personally).

image.thumb.png.4a4c5d591a374c5f2de5e65ee3ca6758.png 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

look at hiring stats with us companies ?

He's probably going to go for some stupid ass degree so I may as well pay 1) less and 2) give him the international experience.  He's not going for engineering or business and I wouldn't have a problem with him living in Europe.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

The first English Taught Program I found on Google was a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and the international tuition cost is €1,500 per semester.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

The fucking idiot Brits and Brexit wrecked this for our kids.  They have UK citizenship through their grandmother, but the EU has now gone out with the bathwater. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Greeley weather is shittier than either of those places because it's out on the plains instead of right near mountains.  They also have a huge slaughterhouse that makes the entire town smell like dead cows when the wind blows from the (?) north.

Wind from the South and you just described Abilene...

• Haha 1

Under rated degree imo, it has several names - industrial distribution or management or arts 

its a non engineering degree, always in the engineering dept. less math and science

These kids get scooped up into sales groups. Females with this degree can write their own checks 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Best degree imo, it has several names - industrial distribution or management or arts 

its a non engineering degree, always in the engineering dept. less math and science

These kids get scooped up into sales groups

Industrial Arts is what my high school called shop class.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

High concentration of Ted Ammon Bundy Anti-Gubment and Christian/White Nationalists types.

edit: strike though to correct my idiocy.

Dude I've spent some time in Northern Idaho and that describes it to a tee. Ted Kaczynski and the Weavers were up there. It's incredibly beautiful and chock full of weirdos. One minute you're talking to a guy at a bar about basketball and the next minute he changes the subject to posse comitatus and courts of Admiralty. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, texasdago said:

...and end up making more money.

I know two rather large refineries on the gulf coast with industrial arts / management majors as their plant managers. Both were classmates of mine. I remember one of their sr projects was making key chains for the different engineering depts 😂😂

its a technical degree, gets you in more doors then you think. What you do with it is up to you 

Edited by tx 3 putt