check out this fuck up

Gil Bang

So, the GF is unhappy with the dining room in the house.  It's too dark, the fireplace is ugly, etc.  

So, we agree that I will demo the ugly rock veneer from the fireplace, and see what's behind it.   I also agree to add recessed lighting, because the room was a bit dark.

I move the dining table to the garage to get it out of my way during the install of the recessed lighting and the fireplace demo.  Meanwhile, I notice GF's car is getting a little dingy, so, why she's staying at her daughter's to help with the kids (daugter recently tragically widowed), I call a detail guy to the house to tits out her car. 

I'm cleaning out her car in preparation for the detail guy, and it's a woman's car so there's lots of shit.  I carefully place said shit on the dining table which is stored next to the car.  

Well, you know the carboard air-fresheners that they give you at the car wash?  One of those ended up on the dining table, and it ate right through the finish.  Our dark dining table now has a nice, bright, raw-wood circle right in the fucking middle of the table.  I don't know what chemical is in that piece of cardboard with the elastic thing to hang from the mirror, but it will fuck up some stain and poly. 

That's a tricky repair. It should be possible to sand around it, match the stain and then reapply a clear coat but I'm assuming you don't know what was used on the table to begin with. To get it to where you wouldn't be able to tell you'd likely be paying a professional a decent amount of money. 

Just depends on how uniform you want it. You could probably get it 90% close without too much trouble. Not sure if you have any decent paint or hardware places around you that would be able to match that stain. If you were living around Austin I'd be happy to help you out.

Post a high quality pic of the table with the spot and I could maybe give you better advice. 

Edited by ztejas

That's a tricky repair. It should be possible to sand around it, match the stain and then reapply a clear coat but I'm assuming you don't know what was used on the table to begin with. To get it to where you wouldn't be able to tell you'd likely be paying a professional a decent amount of money. 
Just depends on how uniform you want it. You could probably get it 90% close without too much trouble. Not sure if you have any decent paint or hardware places around you that would be able to match that stain. If you were living around Austin I'd be happy to help you out.
Post a high quality pic of the table with the spot and I could maybe give you better advice. 

d302d408ede9377222a9596bc2a79eac.jpg
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, the GF is unhappy with the dining room in the house.  It's too dark, the fireplace is ugly, etc.  

So, we agree that I will demo the ugly rock veneer from the fireplace, and see what's behind it.   I also agree to add recessed lighting, because the room was a bit dark.

I move the dining table to the garage to get it out of my way during the install of the recessed lighting and the fireplace demo.  Meanwhile, I notice GF's car is getting a little dingy, so, why she's staying at her daughter's to help with the kids (daugter recently tragically widowed), I call a detail guy to the house to tits out her car. 

I'm cleaning out her car in preparation for the detail guy, and it's a woman's car so there's lots of shit.  I carefully place said shit on the dining table which is stored next to the car.  

Well, you know the carboard air-fresheners that they give you at the car wash?  One of those ended up on the dining table, and it ate right through the finish.  Our dark dining table now has a nice, bright, raw-wood circle right in the fucking middle of the table.  I don't know what chemical is in that piece of cardboard with the elastic thing to hang from the mirror, but it will fuck up some stain and poly. 

You’re dating a grandma?  

Oh, a drink coaster will fix that right up. Followed by the Tommy Boy reaction when it's discovered: 

whatd you do chris farley GIF

In all seriousness, I think the first thing I would do is try one of those furniture markers/crayon just to see what the hell it does. No harm in starting there as it's pretty cheap.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

On 9/29/2023 at 8:46 AM, Upgrayedd said:

Buy a bunch of air fresheners, scatter them around the table, make it look like it’s on purpose.

or get a nice table cloth.

61c9vmd9XFS.jpg