Same-day road trip to OU game from Austin -- anyone?

Brisketexan

I posted in the overall pre-game thread, but wanted to make it its own post so maybe someone would check it out.  I have a single (will be sitting with people already up in Dallas), and plan on driving up and back to Dallas on Saturday.  Depart Austin around 5:00 am, coffee and klobasnek on the road.  Corn dog and beer for second breakfast at the fair.  Game.  Hopefully wave a victory corn dog around after.  Then drive back to Austin.

I have Don Williams' entire catalog on my phone, ready to cue up in the car.  I also have other music options.  Or we can shoot the shit about Texas football, pretty brunettes, the state of the war in Ukraine, or what have you - I'm a damned good road tripper.

I am planning on driving, and have space for passengers.  OR, if you're itching to drive, I am happy to chip in for gas and buy you your first klobasnek on the road.  If you're up for road-tripping, lemme know.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

And brisket was never seen again, along with a bus and the 59.95 of three dozen mourning longhorn fans.

Seriously, I'd be in just for the Don Williams, but I'll be road-tripping up myself taking the family.  We're leaving in the wee hours because we have to finish a Friday night high school football game here at home first.  

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And brisket was never seen again, along with a bus and the 59.95 of three dozen mourning longhorn fans.

Seriously, I'd be in just for the Don Williams, but I'll be road-tripping up myself taking the family.  We're leaving in the wee hours because we have to finish a Friday night high school football game here at home first.  

Fair reason to leave late.  I've done this routine before (5 am start), it's been fun (did it back when we won 38-3, and again in 2005....that was a long, glorious day.  Buddy and I had to nap on a picnic table at the fair to sleep off the in-game whiskey so we could then drive home.  Made us get a MUCH later start home than planned.  Who cares, beat OU on the way to a national title).

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Other Surly Driver, "Say Brisket, another 80 miles to go.  What do you want man?"

Brisket, "I want to get off the ledge.  I want people to start thinking for themselves and quit accepting the bullshit they're fed by the media and our elected leaders.  I want them to work to improve society.  To lift all peoples regardless of color or creed.  I want to stop pretending like this is all normal.  I want Texas to actually be the wonderful place we lie to ourselves in the mirror about to get through the day.  I want us to rise to our best version of ourselves."

Other Surly Driver, "Dude, 80 miles.  We're in West.  I meant what do you want from the Czech Kolache store, man?"    

Briskey, "Oh.  Shit man, sorry.  Two sausage and cheese.  And a quart of High Life."  

Perfect.  Exactly my thought.  You'd need to stay off any political discussion or you'd want to hang yourself from depression upon arrival.

• Haha 2

he's actually much more optimistic and fun in real life.  Whenever we hang out in real life, we have this vibe of disappointment like we're not the revolutionaries we make ourselves out to be.  We're just two middle-aged hispanic dudes who like tacos and talking about football.  Kind of a let-down actually.  But he'd be a good road trip companion because my worthless gigabyte of random trivia is only surpassed by his.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Other Surly Driver, "Say Brisket, another 80 miles to go.  What do you want man?"

Brisket, "I want to get off the ledge.  I want people to start thinking for themselves and quit accepting the bullshit they're fed by the media and our elected leaders.  I want them to work to improve society.  To lift all peoples regardless of color or creed.  I want to stop pretending like this is all normal.  I want Texas to actually be the wonderful place we lie to ourselves in the mirror about to get through the day.  I want us to rise to our best version of ourselves."

Other Surly Driver, "Dude, 80 miles.  We're in West.  I meant what do you want from the Czech Kolache store, man?"    

Briskey, "Oh.  Shit man, sorry.  Two sausage and cheese.  And a quart of High Life."  

I mean....you're not wrong.

Except my traditional order is a sausage kraut and cheese, and a pan sausage jalapeno cheese.  

And, yeah.... a quart of High Life.  You know, that's the champagne of beers.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I posted in the overall pre-game thread, but wanted to make it its own post so maybe someone would check it out.  I have a single (will be sitting with people already up in Dallas), and plan on driving up and back to Dallas on Saturday.  Depart Austin around 5:00 am, coffee and klobasnek on the road.  Corn dog and beer for second breakfast at the fair.  Game.  Hopefully wave a victory corn dog around after.  Then drive back to Austin.

I have Don Williams' entire catalog on my phone, ready to cue up in the car.  I also have other music options.  Or we can shoot the shit about Texas football, pretty brunettes, the state of the war in Ukraine, or what have you - I'm a damned good road tripper.

I am planning on driving, and have space for passengers.  OR, if you're itching to drive, I am happy to chip in for gas and buy you your first klobasnek on the road.  If you're up for road-tripping, lemme know.

You will have to ride in the bed. Not enough room and air freshener for you up front.

F6aGZySXAAA7vqq?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Pos rep for proper klobasnek usage

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Brisket puts the 'pain' in 'champagne '

He also begs the question, if Miller High Life is the champagne of beers, what is the Miller High life equivalent of sparkling wines?  You guessed it Brut Stallone.  

Nah, he's more of a Rosé guy

Spoiler

MenageaTroisRoseSparklingNV_600x.jpg?v=1

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

username checks out

And my standard is the sausage kraut and cheese, and spicy hot chubbie with cheese.  Plus an assortment of raspberry cream cheese, lemon cream cheese, and poppy seed for breakfast on Saturday, before having second breakfast corn dogs inside the Fair.

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What's your favorite Don Williams song @Brisketexan ??

I saw him perform live in Austin while I was in college... smaller venue so pretty damn awesome.  

Not brisket, but damn this got me thinking and I have no clue where to start regarding a favorite song. Saw him in Newberry, SC in maybe 2013. Small town theatre, just amazing. I’m 38 and my dad got me a Don Williams cd as a joke for Christmas one year. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time little did he or I know that I’d be hooked for life. Anyway “lord I hope this day is good” or “good ole boys like me”. 

• Hook 'Em 2

When I was 18, I was in love with a girl who moved to LA to become an actress.  She liked me well enough, but liked the idea of fame a lot more.

So for obvious reasons, "If Hollywood Don't Need You" always hit pretty hard.  That would have to be my favorite.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Perfect.  Exactly my thought.  You'd need to stay off any political discussion or you'd want to hang yourself from depression upon arrival.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....you're not wrong.

Except my traditional order is a sausage kraut and cheese, and a pan sausage jalapeno cheese.  

And, yeah.... a quart of High Life.  You know, that's the champagne of beers.

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

And this, my friends…is the high life. 

Some of y’all haven’t watched Field of Dreams for too long. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

What's your favorite Don Williams song @Brisketexan ??

I saw him perform live in Austin while I was in college... smaller venue so pretty damn awesome.  

You didn't ask me, and I celebrate the man's entire catalogue because he does not have a bad song, but my favorite if I have to name one is "If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do)"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Not brisket, but damn this got me thinking and I have no clue where to start regarding a favorite song. Saw him in Newberry, SC in maybe 2013. Small town theatre, just amazing. I’m 38 and my dad got me a Don Williams cd as a joke for Christmas one year. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time little did he or I know that I’d be hooked for life. Anyway “lord I hope this day is good” or “good ole boys like me”. 

Your story about getting a CD as a joke also applies to me with "Moe & Joe".

Always gotta add this song to a roadtrip...

• Like 1

What's your favorite Don Williams song [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] ??

See full response below.
My wife and I went and saw Don two different times at the Paramount. Both were absolutely perfect shows. He died maybe two years after the last one.
I’ll pick you up if we can listen to Boomer Sooner the whole way up. 

I mean…I know you’re a cop. So it’s a really serious thing if I kill you.
So obviously, you see the conundrum you’ve put me in.
It's damn hard to pick a Don Williams favorite.  Great variety of songs...  

This is the only correct answer.
Good Ole Boys Like Me is pure southern poetry, and goddamn does “those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me, Hank and Tennessee” speak to me.
It Must Be Love is one of my all time favorite songs to sing.
You’re My Best Friend was beautiful live. At a couple of points, Don just let the crowd sing, and that many voices saying those words, and meaning them…goddamn, it was great.
Lord I Hope This Day is Good is maybe my favorite prayer (and yep, it’s a prayer).
Amanda.
If Hollywood Don’t Need You.

One of my dreams is to spend some of my retirement in Scotland. I meet some dudes who just like to play music. We get our favorite pub to let us put on a show of old American country standards on Sunday afternoons. Heavy on the Don Williams. Some Merle, some Willie. We play and sing for fun. And maybe a pint.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Your story about getting a CD as a joke also applies to me with "Moe & Joe".

Always gotta add this song to a roadtrip...

Love me some Moe and Joe.

Ok, so here’s the deal….@MissingInAction is in. So we’ve got us a road trip. We have room for 2 more as well. You might not wanna miss out on this.

Looking for suggestions for a playlist on the way up. Don is on it (lotsa Don). Moe and Joe will probably make it. Bellamy brothers. Maybe some Eddie Rabbit. Some Kansas. ZZ Top. Maybe some Steve Miller Band. What else?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok, so here’s the deal….@MissingInAction is in. So we’ve got us a road trip. We have room for 2 more as well. You might not wanna miss out on this.

Looking for suggestions for a playlist on the way up. Don is on it (lotsa Don). Moe and Joe will probably make it. Bellamy brothers. Maybe some Eddie Rabbit. Some Kansas. ZZ Top. Maybe some Steve Miller Band. What else?

Holy. Shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We play and sing for fun. And maybe a pint.

I dance now at every chance in honky tonks

For drinks, and tips.'

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Uhhh... Jerry Jeff, obviously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gotta pass - Am attending Mrs. Brat’s 60th Fightin’ Taylor Duck class reunion. 
Was shocked to discover a Taylor hotel room is $188 plus taxes & fees per night.

They’ll probably be playing Bill Haley & Elvis on the juke box.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Gotta pass - Am attending Mrs. Brat’s 60th Fightin’ Taylor Duck class reunion. 
Was shocked to discover a Taylor hotel room is $188 plus taxes & fees per night.

They’ll probably be playing Bill Haley & Elvis on the juke box.

What'd you think, that bed was just gonna vibrate itself cheapskate?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Add a few songs by the ladies... nice change of pace.  So many ways to go on others.

Hank Williams Jr, Dwight Yoakam.

Damn I remember a great roadtrip where we had Frampton, and Boston fuckin' cranked up in the Hill Country of Texas and we were lost as hell.  No problem, just stop and buy more beer.  Can't believe we survived that night. 😋

(Not advocating drinking and driving -- we were young and stupid, just out to raise hell and have fun. )

• Like 1

I don't know how to say this nicely, so I'm just gonna say it.  Your pre-1932 quarters you received for your high school graduation.  Those 'two-bit' pieces are a different size and weight and won't get you Taylor Texas motel soda, let alone turn on the vibrating bed.  I mean, maybe some metal slugs you made when you were mixed up in the Van Buren administration could work, but just get over your fears and get a debit card man.  

Add a few songs by the ladies... nice change of pace.  So many ways to go on others.
Hank Williams Jr, Dwight Yoakam.
Damn I remember a great roadtrip where we had Frampton, and Boston fuckin' cranked up in the Hill Country of Texas and we were lost as hell.  No problem, just stop and buy more beer.  Can't believe we survived that night.

(Not advocating drinking and driving -- we were young and stupid, just out to raise hell and have fun. )

Boston is a solid call. Maybe some Zeppelin. Johnny Nash always makes me smile. Does Blue Swede make the list? Maybe on the drive back…
And I love me some lady singers. Maybe some Crystal Gayle, Dolly, Linda Ronstadt (one of the sexiest women who ever lived? Maybe).
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See full response below.
My wife and I went and saw Don two different times at the Paramount. Both were absolutely perfect shows. He died maybe two years after the last one.

I mean…I know you’re a cop. So it’s a really serious thing if I kill you.
So obviously, you see the conundrum you’ve put me in.

This is the only correct answer.
Good Ole Boys Like Me is pure southern poetry, and goddamn does “those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me, Hank and Tennessee” speak to me.
It Must Be Love is one of my all time favorite songs to sing.
You’re My Best Friend was beautiful live. At a couple of points, Don just let the crowd sing, and that many voices saying those words, and meaning them…goddamn, it was great.
Lord I Hope This Day is Good is maybe my favorite prayer (and yep, it’s a prayer).
Amanda.
If Hollywood Don’t Need You.

One of my dreams is to spend some of my retirement in Scotland. I meet some dudes who just like to play music. We get our favorite pub to let us put on a show of old American country standards on Sunday afternoons. Heavy on the Don Williams. Some Merle, some Willie. We play and sing for fun. And maybe a pint.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

• Like 1