Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re a nice girl.  But you have burnt orange glasses.  Say what you will about me - and I know you will - but I have access to both programs.  I have given more to UT but could easily by OU’s top donor by a mile (not the same w UT).  

Hear me out - UT is the plush kid who’s daddy gifted them that gold AP and Lambo.  It’s ok.  Just know, that kid will always be soft and it takes someone/something special to break the mold - VY.  

You refuse to acknowledge this and it’s odd but I’m guessing just a blind spot.  Look at the entire millennium.  Post after post of next time…

Agreed, we've had very few Dawgs. And straight up don't offer them in preference of 5 star divas. Not offering a legacy like all American linebacker Bryce Hager but then being all in full boner mode for soft kids like the Brockermeyer twins. 

• Like 1

Not disagreeing with ChiTown here at all, but that focus and determination to be great isn't just something that pops up on gameday. It's the offeseason and the preseason and practices. It's the mindset day-in and day-out. By gameday, the cake is mostly baked and theirs is usually baked with more determination and scrappiness than ours. Which is why they beat us all the time.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Agreed, we've had very few Dawgs. And straight up don't offer them in preference of 5 star divas. Not offering a legacy like all American linebacker Bryce Hager but then being all in full boner mode for soft kids like the Brockermeyer twins. 

We have dogs. What you saw yesterday was a passive head coach style vs an aggressive head coach style. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Loose but focused.

He’s that dude.  They don’t come often. Even Mack couldn’t fuck that up.  Switzer is the first to acknowledge he’s a dipshit coach - I’m serious, have a beer w him.  But he got a couple of those dudes and let em loose.  Sometimes - It’s not that complicated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Vince:

Confidence 100%
Determined 100%
Focused 100% 

you’re dead on he wasn’t emotional. 

look emotion is totally part of the game, it’s what you do with it. Anxious or afraid? channel to preparation. Angry or frustrated? Channel it to focus.  But raw emotion is not your ally in competitive sports and anyone saying it is hasn’t kept up with how elite performance works.

Exactly. I'm my opinion you want to see your guys look like this: 

mike-tyson-stare.gif.78ae2e224dc008caabc33841682d09a0.gifi-aint-scared-of-you-bitch-bitch.gif.dd20ac3204d5c1103b4d4484a75e4f24.gif

And less like this

4790175.gif.c2e11829f07fda13683ed83da6e72b32.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Not disagreeing with ChiTown here at all, but that focus and determination to be great isn't just something that pops up on gameday. It's the offeseason and the preseason and practices. It's the mindset day-in and day-out. By gameday, the cake is mostly baked and theirs is usually baked with more determination and scrappiness than ours. Which is why they beat us all the time.

Comes from the head coaching imo. DKR and early Mack are the only true coaches we’ve had that actually had the right mentality in terms of that. Late Mack brown and tv Mack that you see isn’t who early Mack was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re a nice girl.  But you have burnt orange glasses.  Say what you will about me - and I know you will - but I have access to both programs.  I have given more to UT but could easily be OU’s top donor by a mile (not the same w UT).  

Hear me out - UT is the plush kid who’s daddy gifted them that gold AP and Lambo.  It’s ok.  Just know, that kid will always be soft and it takes someone/something special to break the mold - VY.  

You refuse to acknowledge this and it’s odd but I’m guessing just a blind spot.  Look at the entire millennium.  Post after post of next time…

news at 11, wealthy sooner tells Texas fans he’s knows more about Texas’ soft culture than our eternally frustrated fans.

Where is Texas walked in thinking they were gonna win with over confidence contrary to what you just wrote? I’m not sure it’s as cut and dried at least now but yeah Texas has had a soft culture except 2004-2009. No shit. We all know that and it pisses us off.

truth is OU culture is still in the stoops era and had one gut punch of a season losing LR. OU hasn’t been in the desert for 15 fucking years. Texas has. Young program trying to discard that mantle of soft and entitled. 

We are in year 3 of what the HC claims is a different era. You can’t tell me yesterday wasn’t a slug fest. OU won. Plain and simple. Why? OU won and Texas lost by a thin margin on player and coaching execution, focus, maybe over confidence, but this idea that Texas doesn’t want it or didn’t have the emotion as bad is either bullshit or it’s short hand for what I’m talking about. You line up the best athletes and coaches in the world and they will talk like me not this fucking banter about emotion. It’s fucking stupid. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Comes from the head coaching imo. DKR and early Mack are the only true coaches we’ve had that actually had the right mentality in terms of that. Late Mack brown and tv Mack that you see isn’t who early Mack was. 

They both saw up close how OU treats this.  It’s not how you guys treat it.  Not you all personally - you guys care more than me.  

But deep down coming out the tunnel…the underdog mentality isn’t there.  That’s all most of it boils down to.  Do you feel disrespected?  Do you feel they had it given to them and YOU have to earn it?   Yeah.  That’s special.  Hold that feeling.  

1 hour ago, Constant said:

I understand y’alls fixation on this topic, but Texas was not flagged for holding either. And if you don’t think those lineman were holding on for dear life at times, you’re crazy. 

More egregious than the lack of holding calls on OU in this game were the no-calls when Worthy was face tackled in the air before the ball arrived and tackled by the facemask at the goal line preventing a TD (among other blatant facemask infractions on OU that went uncalled throughout the game). There were other missed calls, but those are game-changers, especially when they are only being called one way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Michael Jordan said he practiced with intense fierce focus so when game time came it was easy. 

Djokovic arguably the greatest champion the world has ever seen is calm as a cucumber. His number one strength is focus. He talks about distraction too and the key to winning is resetting quickly back to an intense focus state.

elite athletes do not talk about emotion like it’s some secret weapon.

sark talks about practice culture the same way. I honestly think Texas is on the cusp. I could be wrong. Doesn’t change the history of the last 30 years of mostly soft culture but that also doesn’t mean it has to stay the same and yesterday Texas was not soft. Texas was not soft at Bama either.

Edited by troph

I think Sark's attitude is fine. To me, emotional control isn't really about cultivating emotions to feel, but more about making sure unhelpful emotions are controlled.

OU has whipped our asses. OU has scared us. OU has cowed us. That hasn't happened with Sark, even though he's 1-2. They had to score 25 in the 4th to win game 1. They got historically destroyed in game 2. They had to drive while behind to win in the 4th in game 3. Not great for us, but also not us getting humiliated while our players were terrified and bullied all game.

I think Sark's leadership style can win big games (it did in Tuscaloosa) and even win championships. I think he'll need transformational players to do it, and we don't have any of those on this roster.

Also, if Sark ever does win a big one, I think the institutional culture changes for the better and his credibility as a calmer, more patient, more focused guy grows.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This was 100% the case with some of the Mack teams.  But I don't think yesterday was this.   I don't think this Texas team is soft.  See Bama.  I think maybe overconfident (i.e., maybe like a couple of those OU teams that lost to terrible Texas teams - and this OU team is a good team).   And interior OL is just not talented especially after 2 injuries now.  Losing the Center first drive really hurt.  Yesterday was a weird game across the board.   Still haven't wrapped my arms around it.    I've been to 26 now and have seen all kinds of swings and weird stuff but still continue to be surprised how much this game will surprise you year after year.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They both saw up close how OU treats this.  It’s not how you guys treat it.  Not you all personally - you guys care more than me.  

But deep down coming out the tunnel…the underdog mentality isn’t there.  That’s all most of it boils down to.  Do you feel disrespected?  Do you feel they had it given to them and YOU have to earn it?   Yeah.  That’s special.  Hold that feeling.  

Well, we weren't the underdog. We were in 2021 but didn't have the players to put away OU. Last year was an anomaly. This year all the pressure was on us to win it and we didn't execute. Perhaps we just vastly overrated our lines due to the Bama game. We had the ability to win it yesterday but we didn't execute when we needed to. 

I mean you say all this and we've beaten you with some of the shittiest teams in our program compared to where OU was at the time: 2013/2015. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, troph said:

news at 11, wealthy sooner tells Texas fans he’s knows more about Texas’ soft culture than our eternally frustrated fans.

Where is Texas walked in thinking they were gonna win with over confidence contrary to what you just wrote? I’m not sure it’s as cut and dried at least now but yeah Texas has had a soft culture except 2004-2009. No shit. We all know that and it pisses us off.

truth is OU culture is still in the stoops era and had one gut punch of a season losing LR. OU hasn’t been in the desert for 15 fucking years. Texas has. Young program trying to discard that mantle of soft and entitled. 

We are in year 3 of what the HC claims is a different era. You can’t tell me yesterday wasn’t a slug fest. OU won. Plain and simple. Why? OU won and Texas lost by a thin margin on player and coaching execution, focus, maybe over confidence, but this idea that Texas doesn’t want it or didn’t have the emotion as bad is either bullshit or it’s short hand for what I’m talking about. You line up the best athletes and coaches in the world and they will talk like me not this fucking banter about emotion. It’s fucking stupid. 

Loser post.  Apologies. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Most of us have said this for the last decade.  Our coaches have been softer than baby shit and the team takes on that persona. Over the years we’ve not had the pipe hitting. Nfl or prison type attitudes on the team. We’ve had the im at Texas I’m gOodeR than you and it shows. Occasionally we pull a rabbit out of our asses. But by and large it’s been inconsistent soft shit. We get everyone’s best shot of hatred because of some lame ass they didn’t recruit me crybaby story and I had something to prove yadda yadda.  I didn’t see a single defensive leader yesterday grab his team mates and take control and say follow me mother fuckers.  Burnt vegetables may look like he’s on a meth bender. But If i saw him in real life I’d prob steer clear too because he looks like he’s shank you.  We’ve had soft leadership from the top down consistently and that’s why we remain middle tier soft 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fuck you.  I had pink shoes and had my ass kicked in Lubbock for wearing em.  I cried and my dad took a marker to em.  Next day ass kicked again.  I wear those shoes forever.  

I had the jet gassed up and ready for Dallas but stayed the weekend to open up a new stroke rehab center.  I have 1200 doctors and I still see more patients then 1195 of those.  I don’t talk about it.  I do it.   Where you come from I figured you’d know.  Guess not.  

Jesus dude. I do VERY well for myself and had jack shit given to me either. I have parents that basically told me I am going to hell. I make almost 100x the average income of trans folk. I was broke and put myself through school and my story isn’t over. I applaud your success. You had no reason to say anything about the money you give to either program. And saying you are wealthy was not the insult you think it was. I’m sorry it came across that way. Btw, don’t start a “sit down you don’t know what you’re talking about” comment to a woman by saying “look, you’re a nice girl.” I’m not nice. I’m not a girl. I’m a 48 year old woman and I’m a fierce, out of control competitor that wins most of the time at everything I do.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

Jesus dude. I do VERY well for myself and had jack shit given to me either. I have parents that basically told me I am going to hell. I make almost 100x the average income of trans folk. I was broke and put myself through school and my story isn’t over. I applaud your success. You had no reason to say anything about the money you give to either program. And saying you are wealthy was not the insult you think it was. I’m sorry it came across that way. Btw, don’t start a “sit down you don’t know what you’re talking about” comment to a woman by saying “look, you’re a nice girl.” I’m not nice. I’m not a girl. I’m a 48 year old woman and I’m a fierce, out of control competitor at everything I do.

All good.  Apologies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fuck you.  I had pink shoes and had my ass kicked in Lubbock for wearing em.  I cried and my dad took a marker to em.  Next day ass kicked again.  I wear those shoes forever.  

I had the jet gassed up and ready for Dallas but stayed the weekend to open up a new stroke rehab center.  I have 1200 doctors and I still see more patients then 1195 of those.  I don’t talk about it.  I do it.   Where you come from I figured you’d know.  Guess not.  

Jesus dude. I do VERY well for myself and had jack shit given to me either. I have parents that basically told me I am going to hell. I make almost 100x the average income of trans folk. I was broke and put myself through school and my story isn’t over. I applaud your success. You had no reason to say anything about the money you give to either program. And saying you are wealthy was not the insult you think it was. I’m sorry it came across that way. Btw, don’t start a “sit down you don’t know what you’re talking about” comment to a woman by saying “look, you’re a nice girl.” I’m not nice. I’m not a girl. I’m a 48 year old woman and I’m a fierce, out of control competitor at everything I do.

We're going to need some paystubs posted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

I don't think you can call this team soft when they walked into a place and pulled out a pretty decisive win where very few have before. Yeah, I get it, Bama isn't Bama from last year but that's still a damn fine team with the best coach in America/probably of all time. Yesterday came down to execution. OU did everything it needed to do even down to Gabriel throwing away the ball when he got the bad snap on the 5 instead of taking a sack. Before the game, the pundits said OU had to play perfect to win the game. They did, we didn't. We put ourselves in a hole from the jump and OU took advantage. They gained a lot of confidence from that. It was like Texas against Bama last year. "We can beat these guys". OU never doubted that. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6

Just now, mdmost said:

I don't think you can call this team soft when they walked into a place that only a few have and pulled out a win. Yeah, I get it, Bama isn't Bama from last year but that's still a damn fine team with the best coach in America/probably of all time. Yesterday came down to execution. OU did everything it needed to do even down to Gabriel throwing away the ball when he got the bad snap on the 5 instead of taking a sack. Before the game, the pundits said OU had to play perfect to win the game. They did, we didn't. We put ourselves in a hole from the jump and OU took advantage. They gained a lot of confidence from that. It was like Texas against Bama last year. "We can beat these guys". OU never doubted that. 

Ok.  Mea Culpa.  I said my drivel and even my OU dbag friends were like THAT wasn’t a soft team. But I maintain UT has to fight that mentality.  

Sometimes shit happens - we don't need knee-jerk reactions, like firing everybody 

OU wanted it more, they got it with zebras on their side

Maybe this year is like 2004 and not 2005. Maybe this year is a year of its own and anything can happen. Let's beat shitty Houston and then our kyptonite Brighan Young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Texas_Longhorns_football_team

Edited by VaLonghorn99

The reality is there just haven't been that many games the last 25 years when both teams were really good.   I think teams on paper in 01 and 02 were equal and that was 100% the "Texas is soft" issue (as were some of the Mack blowouts for his pretty good not great Mack teams).  08 was also 2 elite teams.   

It played out totally different but yesterday reminds me somewhat of the 2018 game where I think OU was better on paper and Texas won as the underdog.  We know how that rematch went.  So hopefully history repeats itself.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

The reality is there just haven't been that many games the last 25 years when both teams were really good.   I think teams on paper in 01 and 02 were equal and that was 100% the "Texas is soft" issue (as were some of the Mack blowouts for his pretty good not great Mack teams).  08 was also 2 elite teams.   

It played out totally different but yesterday reminds me somewhat of the 2018 game where I think OU was better on paper and Texas won as the underdog.  We know how that rematch went.  So hopefully history repeats itself.

Don’t bring rationality around here.

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

After OU’s TD drive to open the second half until the final TD drive, they went: 3 and out, turnover on downs, missed FG and another 3 and out.

There was reason to believe the defense was in a decent spot and had made the necessary adjustments.

And if you look at that drive it was two plays that made it for them - PI call and a knife to the heart off script scramble. Even with that a near sack and extreme pocket pressure on TD pass could have changed the outcome of that drive and the game. Ugh.

Edited by troph

And if you look at that drive it was two plays that made it for them - PI call and a knife to the heart off script scramble. Even with that a near sack and extreme pocket pressure on TD pass. Ugh.

I need to go back and watch that drive.  Because as shaky as the D had been most of the game they put it together leading up to it.  I just watched in disbelief from the stands.  Like a slow motion car crash.  When they called that BS PI I knew we were fucked.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

The Mack mentality about OU isn't there any more. Sark has been aggressive in all the games against OU. 2021 was both our defense not being worth a shit and Sark not putting the game away. 2022 was pure aggression against a weaker opponent with no QB. Charlie always came from the underdog mentality because we flat out sucked. Still he got a pretty strong win when no one thought that was possible. Herman was just an idiot who rode a hot QB. He could've easily lost 2018 and form held in the rematch.

Yes, we will always be at a disadvantage in this game because OU will always "want it more". We're no different than Michigan when they play Ohio State. I think a lot more hate is generated on one side. It's no different than when we play Arkansas. There's historical hatred for us from Arkansas and it shows every time we play them. We don't have a chip on our shoulder like others do when they play us. But I don't think Sark under emphasized the game's importance going into the game. OU had a lot of motivation to avenge the most embarrassing loss in the series for them and they came in as underdogs. Next year, the shoe's probably on the other foot since we'll be breaking in a lot of new everythings. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

If we ran clock earlier in the drive and slowed it down, Venables would have just used his timeouts earlier in the drive. There’s no guarantee we wouldn’t have been the exact same spot we ended up in. And who knows if slowing it down would have helped OU regroup.

There are a million things we can second guess, good and bad. In real time I hated that we were about to go after a punt in our own endzone when we were guaranteed amazing field position regardless. That turned out alright.

Just now, mdmost said:

The Mack mentality about OU isn't there any more. Sark has been aggressive in all the games against OU. 2021 was both our defense not being worth a shit and Sark not putting the game away. 2022 was pure aggression against a weaker opponent with no QB. Charlie always came from the underdog mentality because we flat out sucked. Still he got a pretty strong win when no one thought that was possible. 

Yes, we will always be at a disadvantage in this game because OU will always "want it more". We're no different than Michigan when they play Ohio State. I think a lot more hate is generated on one side. It's no different than when we play Arkansas. There's historical hatred for us from Arkansas and it shows every time we play them. We don't have a chip on our shoulder like others do when they play us. But I don't think Sark under emphasized the game's importance going into the game. OU had a lot of motivation to avenge the most embarrassing loss in the series for them and they came in as underdogs. Next year, the shoe's probably on the other foot since we'll be breaking in a lot of new everythings. 

Sark saves that game w the fake punt.  It could have gotten ugly. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I need to go back and watch that drive.  Because as shaky as the D had been most of the game they put it together leading up to it.  I just watched in disbelief from the stands.  Like a slow motion car crash.  When they called that BS PI I knew we were fucked.

It was a lot closer to going our way than it seemed. The whole fucking game was a strand of hair difference between winning and losing. It’s why I keep saying a 1 play game. The sky is not falling. 20 maybe 30 plays and only one goes our way and Texas wins. It was that close.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Sounds like you talk about it to me, hotshot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1