Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

14 hours ago, Jshep34 said:
14 hours ago, Briuis said:
My son is at the same clinic!

We left at lunch break. Way to many kids. Plus I was parked in mud hole. Lilshep didn't want maldy to sign anything of his. He just wanted to get to work and learn.

We had to park in the muddy area and got boxed in so stayed until 6:15. I was spraying mud all the way down 288. That was a great group to learn from.  Bracamonte had a great station on arm care. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

image.jpeg.5b4534f849b0d92a655c143cd4541cf3.jpeg

I don’t like him, but the key to the salty dump is Chas bc he’s got the most value to offload LMJ and Montero. And bellinger is your Chas replacement and your Abreu replacement after 25 (Astors have lots of OF- no 1B in minors) or you make this team worse instead of better. But yeah- don’t like him. 

We had to park in the muddy area and got boxed in so stayed until 6:15. I was spraying mud all the way down 288. That was a great group to learn from.  Bracamonte had a great station on arm care. 
Brac would be a great source for catching and arm care lessons
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 9:45 AM, WBT said:

Yeah, edited after I looked up the Passan tweet.  Not vesting, changes from team option to player option at 60 appearances.  I agree that's a pretty good deal for him at his age but I think it could still work out well for the Cubs too.

Loved the Neris. I wish we could have kept him, but knew that wasn’t going to happen. 

Just saw this while looking up the coaching staffs for our minor league teams:

Former major league players Jay Bruce and John Valentin will join the Astros’ organization this season as minor league special advisors, the team announced Monday.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

ESPN rated Jacob Melton #74 in their top 100. Making the comparison to Josh Reddick, but with the ability to steal bases. Reddick's career high was 11.

Melton will strike out a lot more than Reddick ever did.  Melton will also hit more HR and steal more bases.  Other than being fairly athletic lefthanded OF, they’re not very similar.  Melton might be the midpoint of Reddick and Joey Gallo.

The Angels announced that they have traded infielder/outfielder Trey Cabbage, who was recently designated for assignment, to the Astros. In exchange, the Angels will receive minor league right-hander Carlos Espinosa. The Astros designated right-hander Declan Cronin for assignment to open a roster spot for Cabbage.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

The Angels announced that they have traded infielder/outfielder Trey Cabbage, who was recently designated for assignment, to the Astros. In exchange, the Angels will receive minor league right-hander Carlos Espinosa. The Astros designated right-hander Declan Cronin for assignment to open a roster spot for Cabbage.  

Lefty bat that had a huge season in AAA. Probably competing with Singleton for that lefty hitting spot on the bench, with Cabbage's ability to play the OF giving him a chance.

19 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Lettuce hope this guy can contribute this season

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Hopefully, he doesn’t bring any emotional cabbage with him.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

He made his debut against Hou and in third game went 3-3

Ahh.. that’s it. I was like “I swear I know this guy from somewhere…I thought he already had some connection to us.”

that was that Sunday afternoon game in Anaheim right after the all star break where the teams scored like ~15 runs in the final 3 innings and Bregs, Tucker and Ohtani all homered in the 9th.

edit:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA202307160.shtml

Edited by UTexasFight

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lefty bat that had a huge season in AAA. Probably competing with Singleton for that lefty hitting spot on the bench, with Cabbage's ability to play the OF giving him a chance.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

He made his debut against Hou and in third game went 3-3

That sounds promising, but enthusiasm should be tempered until we know what we’ve got in Cabbage.  Romaine calm.