2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

Really happy to see Amen thriving recently. He seemed pretty uncomfortable out there until 2-3 weeks ago, but now his confidence is growing and those elite skills are starting to show. 

I don't even know what to say about Whitmore anymore. Human highlight reel. Still can't get over him only being 19 years old. LOL WHAT A FUCKING STEAL IN THE DRAFT

Can't wait for Tari to come back.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Really happy to see Amen thriving recently. He seemed pretty uncomfortable out there until 2-3 weeks ago, but now his confidence is growing and those elite skills are starting to show. 

I don't even know what to say about Whitmore anymore. Human highlight reel. Still can't get over him only being 19 years old. LOL WHAT A FUCKING STEAL IN THE DRAFT

Tari agrees... 

IMG_5144_20240202_202020.thumb.jpg.a6dafa3dad32cfb0d716b44550eb9c9d.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

i wanted them to pick Whitmore at #4.  cannot belive he fell all the way to 20.  

• Hook 'Em 3

agreed.  we've got the 6 young guys + brooks and van vleet.  then old man jeff green gets a few minutes spelling sengun.  that should be the rotation for the rest of the season assuming no significant trade is made in the next 5 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Would really love to see what Sengun, Smith, Eason, Thompson, and Whitmore could do together on the court.

A simar lineup came out last night, but with Tate instead of Eason. 

Lots of dunks  and easy baskets happened. 

The ball moved a lot. It would have been even better with Eason instead of Tate. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like the Adams trade. Second round picks are fungible and be purchased on draft night. 

If Adams can play next year, he’s a functional NBA center for $12 million. 

Not to mention the Rockets don't have roster room for 4 players from the 2024 draft.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Does he kinda remind you of a all around guy that can’t shoot like Ben Simmons?

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Maybe a longer Russ without the turnovers and better defense? I would take that all day long with the 4th pick. 

yeah probably alongside the same lines as those two guys, hopefully with a higher basketball iq (russ) and not a total bitch (simmons).  

Just let Jalen Green tank you into a record that may get you the chance at another Top 4 pick and keeping your draft pick. He should have no future with the Rockets. The dude fucking sucks. This season set the franchise back 2 years because of how fucking awful Jalen Green turned out to be. If you had taken Barnes and Grimes, you'd probably be in the Top 6 of the West.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

His next highest value will be during the 24 draft, which is projected to be very poor in depth. He will be more enticing than a lot of the prospects, and you can probably dump him then for a 1st.  

That’s my thought; JG plus wherever BRKs pick to move up as high as you can in this draft. It’s a salary dump and a reset for both Green and the Rockets

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Drafting G league players early has pretty much been a failure overall. Teams are going to stick to college and foreign players going forward. 

Yeah, one of the ESPN 975 guys went on long rant about the Heat model. Take established, junior or senior college prospects in the late first round. Play them for 4 years and cut them loose. Rinse, repeat. 

His point was a college player can contribute almost immediately while a G Leaguer will take 2-4 years to turn into a contributor, and then teams have to extend them. Higher floor, lower ceiling, much less risk if the Heat are resolved to move on after the rookie contract. 

5 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

If a player’s peak is age 27-30 then why take a 19 year old? Take a 22-23 year old college guy. They will be near peak during their rookie contract. Chasing young guys always seemed stupid to me.

Everyone is hoping to land the next Kobe, Lebron, and KD. That's why teams do it. 

I don't think anybody is going to give up even a late first round pick for the opportunity to overpay Jalen Green when he hits free agency. 

On 2/10/2024 at 5:44 PM, TonyTexas said:

Drafting G league players early has pretty much been a failure overall. Teams are going to stick to college and foreign players going forward. 

I think it's way too early to say this unequivocally. It's a small sample size and more and more highly rated players are going to the G-League instead of college now. It would be dumb to write this pathway off at exactly the same time that they are getting more talent in the pipeline.

The one and done Ignite guys are still really young. It takes time. Kuminga is having a breakout year for the Warriors. Scoot Henderson has been playing better lately, and he's still a rookie. Dyson Daniels is one of the best young defenders in the league. The rest of the Ignite guys outside of Green were taken late in the first round or in the second round.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:48 PM, LCHorn said:

I’m a little disappointed this thread isn’t seeing more activity-bring on the Jalen Green abuse.  

Because I'm not SEEING THE F'N GAMES unless I'm at the game... 

I did see the road blowout loss that was on real tv.

I said at the beginning of the year I thought .500 would be a welcomed surprise for this team, and that's not far off. Fringe play-in team right now, but they were better than that early in the year with a much better defense. They were top 5 in defensive rating early on, and have now regressed to about middle of the pack. Their offense has been dismal, and continues to be shitty most nights. Jalen Green is an absolutely terrible chucker, who has shown no signs of better discipline in choosing his shots. The team's identity is defense, and they need to start playing more like it. 

Also from last night, this was why Sengun fouled out. If you aren't allowed to play defense in a game, it really hurts a team that is leaning on their defense to win...  Should have been a no-call, but that was his 6th, so he was very angry about it. 

Nice win tonight over the Suns on the road. First home loss for the Suns since Christmas Day. Jalen Green had the best game of the season. 34 points 9 rebounds 4 assists and good on defense. Jalen is such a frustrating player since he is so damn inconsistent and teases with star potential.