Week 9, 2023: Kansas State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

Just watched the run through. 

Jones is suited. Williams is going with the first team. 

The notion of Conner moving over got conflated by posters here and elsewhere because they heard Jones is out and heard the Hutson is working at LG. In reality, he’s just getting work there to press Conner, who has inarguably sucked at times. 

Whittington, MM, and Baxter are all going. Until they can’t. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just watched the run through. 

Jones is suited. Williams is going with the first team. 

The notion of Conner moving over got conflated by posters here and elsewhere because they heard Jones is out and heard the Hutson is working at LG. In reality, he’s just getting work there to press Conner, who has inarguably sucked at times. 

Whittington, MM, and Baxter are all going. Until they can’t. 

Other thread says no Baxter.  WHICH IS IT?!?!

There is one more olympics I want to see other than drunk racing and that's fat person olympics.  Must have like a bmi over 40 and most of that be fat and not like NFL Edge that's shredded and in great physical shape. Nope, I just want to see the best of the best fat people doing olympic events.  I think it would be awesome.
I'd rather think about drunk racing and fat people olympics than this game.  Some asshole owes us a mudhole post to try to calm my nerves.  
Nah man, devil's wheel like they do at Oktoberfest in Munich. Trust me on this one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sark “almost” F’d around and got a loss! The way we played in the 2nd half, we actually deserved to lose - IMO! I’m glad we didn’t, but some of the game day decisions, especially in the 1st half, had me scratching my head. We could’ve put them away early on and taken the life out of KSU.

Hook’em!!!

• Like 1

I think the “killer instinct” doesn’t come from the HC. At this point, I’d rather see our players Coached by either of the Kansas schools’ coaches than our head man.

Prove me wrong Sark! Put the rest of the schedule away early and often! Too much talent wasted, even with a back up QB.

Hookem!!!

On 11/3/2023 at 9:54 PM, horn4life said:

The bottom line is that I believe this team is at a point where the second stringers can indeed come in and play and adequately cover the spot up.  No certainty, but that's why we have been recruiting so hard.  This is really a test of whether we have indeed passed into a fully developed team, or are still waiting until next season.  Kansas State is a good team, that is not going to be a pushover. This is the sort of game quite simply that will define this season.  

I am hoping that we can put together a complete game with the team that we have,  period.  This is a game when you find out whether or not you have truly raised the bar for the team.  Championship teams find a way to win.  I think that this team is going to scratch and claw and end up proving to themselves that have indeed raised the bar.

If not I will be one head shaking drunk mother fucker by 4 o'clock...

Well I am torn in my assessment, but the bottom line is we looked unbeatable, then we shit the bed, then we rallied and won a game that I think we would have lost last year.  I'm still pissed about the tackle pass interference that was not called that allowed K-State an opportunity that never should have existed to score their late first score.  Direct result of shit Big 12 officiating.  But damn we give up 14 points in my drive to meet by buddy for a drink! 

The bottom line is we had so many different folks step up in different ways it was truly a team victory.  And most importantly it showed the mental toughness needed to win these sorts of games.  Championship teams find a way to win, and while this team has not won a championship of any kind in years, the took the necessary step today to make that goal again a reality.  It would have been easy to have lost confidence and let K-State carry their momentum to victory.  Certainly we were got a break on the decision not to kick a field goal. But that decision was based on the fact that they simply could not run the ball on our D.  So it was a gamble that this was the one and best chance for K-State to win the game.  

Anyhow kudos to everyone.  Murphy looked fantastic at first, then made some bad mistakes, that he would not make if he like Ewers had a full season under his belt.  Defense won this game because it did what it had to when it needed to.  But if we don't get fucked by the Refs we go into half at 20 or 24 to nada.  I just wish once in my fucking life we would actually come out ahead on the referee game... (but I know that's never going to happen, never, ever, ever...)

Great win.  Lots to criticize (or nit pick) but the bottom line is we only have one loss and are on track to perhaps for the first time in a very long time have the sort of season we all hope for every single year.  Lets hope that this is a game where the lessons are taken to heart, and we improve once again and raise the bar!

8:08

Reporter- “redzone troubles.  Another 4th and short and didn’t kick the FG.  This is a recurring theme.  Do you question that?”

Sark-”Nah, cause I like the 4th down run for a TD!  You gotta have that mindset.  i would call it again right now!…that was my gut and  in case anyone is wondering,the book says to go for it too.”

reporter-  “I gotta see that book!”

• Haha 1

Some of y’all act like there isn’t another team playing out there. Kansas State is a well-coached team with a good D and experienced qb. They were punched in the mouth early, stumbled, but came fighting back. I’m sure our guys wanted to put this game away, but again, there’s another team doing all they can to keep that from happening. Throw in some bad mistakes, bad calls/no calls and you got a recipe for a close game. We are 2-0 with our backup QB starting. I’ll take that all day. Gotta focus now on winning the next 3 games and making dreams come true. I think we can.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8:08
Reporter- “redzone troubles.  Another 4th and short and didn’t kick the FG.  This is a recurring theme.  Do you question that?”
Sark-”Nah, cause I like the 4th down run for a TD!  You gotta have that mindset.  i would call it again right now!…that was my gut and  in case anyone is wondering,the book says to go for it too.”
reporter-  “I gotta see that book!”

Never saw that sort of $9.95'er aggression with either Chuck or Turtle, but we need more of that and less "turkey leg or funnel cake?" wastes of time.

Well I am torn in my assessment, but the bottom line is we looked unbeatable, then we shit the bed, then we rallied and won a game that I think we would have lost last year.  I'm still pissed about the tackle pass interference that was not called that allowed K-State an opportunity that never should have existed to score their late first score.  Direct result of shit Big 12 officiating.  But damn we give up 14 points in my drive to meet by buddy for a drink! 
The bottom line is we had so many different folks step up in different ways it was truly a team victory.  And most importantly it showed the mental toughness needed to win these sorts of games.  Championship teams find a way to win, and while this team has not won a championship of any kind in years, the took the necessary step today to make that goal again a reality.  It would have been easy to have lost confidence and let K-State carry their momentum to victory.  Certainly we were got a break on the decision not to kick a field goal. But that decision was based on the fact that they simply could not run the ball on our D.  So it was a gamble that this was the one and best chance for K-State to win the game.  
Anyhow kudos to everyone.  Murphy looked fantastic at first, then made some bad mistakes, that he would not make if he like Ewers had a full season under his belt.  Defense won this game because it did what it had to when it needed to.  But if we don't get fucked by the Refs we go into half at 20 or 24 to nada.  I just wish once in my fucking life we would actually come out ahead on the referee game... (but I know that's never going to happen, never, ever, ever...)
Great win.  Lots to criticize (or nit pick) but the bottom line is we only have one loss and are on track to perhaps for the first time in a very long time have the sort of season we all hope for every single year.  Lets hope that this is a game where the lessons are taken to heart, and we improve once again and raise the bar!

If sark wasn’t a dipshit, Texas goes into half 20-0.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some of y’all act like there isn’t another team playing out there. Kansas State is a well-coached team

What surprised me the most yesterday out of everything from either side is that KSU led in the “wtf are you doing?” coaching decision category by a pretty fair margin. While I need to rewatch with less beer in the system, the only call I remember as clearly nonsensical from Texas was passing on the FG to go up 20-0 as if this lesson hasn’t been learned already. KSU had several such moments and their opening offensive gameplan was frankly stupid as hell.

Texas’s pass defense continues to be incredibly frustrating (if KSU isn’t allergic to throwing the ball most of the first half the outcome may well be different but that’s their problem). There needs to be a change in DB coaches in the offseason. But I think this was one of this staff’s better coached games at Texas and I give big credit to them for that. I had this one wrong in general. I thought the Texas defense would struggle to defend the QB run game and that the OL wouldn’t be able to pave the way for a string running game with KSU being able to focus on the run with a backup QB in the game. Murphy coming out dealing in that helped with the latter but frankly Texas dominated this game on the LOS.

Impressive win with a backup QB, missing their best OL, and with officials being pretty on the nose about looking to help KSU late in the hands.

What surprised me the most yesterday out of everything from either side is that KSU led in the “wtf are you doing?” coaching decision category by a pretty fair margin. While I need to rewatch with less beer in the system, the only call I remember as clearly nonsensical from Texas was passing on the FG to go up 20-0 as if this lesson hasn’t been learned already. KSU had several such moments and their opening offensive gameplan was frankly stupid as hell.

Texas’s pass defense continues to be incredibly frustrating (if KSU isn’t allergic to throwing the ball most of the first half the outcome may well be different but that’s their problem). There needs to be a change in DB coaches in the offseason. But I think this was one of this staff’s better coached games at Texas and I give big credit to them for that. I had this one wrong in general. I thought the Texas defense would struggle to defend the QB run game and that the OL wouldn’t be able to pave the way for a string running game with KSU being able to focus on the run with a backup QB in the game. Murphy coming out dealing in that helped with the latter but frankly Texas dominated this game on the LOS.

Impressive win with a backup QB, missing their best OL, and with officials being pretty on the nose about looking to help KSU late in the hands.
Agree, Klieman is one of the best coaches in the country and has skins on the wall to prove it, and has managed to keep K-state relevant when he stepped up to P5. Having said that, you're right in that in spite of not taking the fg with a suddenly hot sideshow Bert...Sark actually outcoached Klieman and that was the difference in the game.
  • Hook 'Em 1