Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Kansas State

TexasMan

I was listening to a podcast, it was probably The Athletic, and one of the hosts pointed out that Texas was a bad match up for K State. Basically, Sark can scheme up big runs against their base defense. 

I guess Vegas watched the first half of BYU and didn’t like what they saw from Murphy. 

I think the line is going to move -7 feels about right. 

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

If Murphy is as careless with the ball as he was Saturday it'll take a huge defensive game to have a chance to win it. I wouldn't put money on a cover. 

A bad pass early on and a jailbreak where Murphy was swarmed with zero time. He was NOT careless with the ball Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

A bad pass early on and a jailbreak where Murphy was swarmed with zero time. He was NOT careless with the ball Saturday. 

There ere a few other very questionable choices that he got away with.  He seemed to get it out of his system by sometime early in the second quarters and played fine after that.  fine is perfectly acceptable for his first game.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

You're only talking about the things that did end badly.  There were several other throws off his back foot into coverage that could have ended badly. 

And why is everyone trying to excuse the fumble?  Yeah, he can't block for himself, but he can secure the ball.

Look, on paper, we should be 7 to 10 points better than K State.  But, that goes out the window if we lose the turnover battle, and our QB was fortunate to only have 2 last week.  

I don't understand how anybody watched that game and isn't worried about the next one against a much better team.

Edited by TexArcher
Not bashing Maalik. Hopefully, it was mostly nerves and trying to do too much. But, he has to play better this Sat, or it's gonna be a real sweat.
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

There were multiple passes that were potential picks vs a slow BYU secondary. He need to clean that up. It was his first start, so it was understandable, but no need to BS ourselves. Maalik is going to have to take a big step this week for Texas to win.. 

30 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You're only talking about the things that did end badly.  There were several other throws off his back foot into coverage that could have ended badly. 

And why is everyone trying to excuse the fumble?  Yeah, he can't block for himself, but he can secure the ball.

Look, on paper, we should be 7 to 10 points better than K State.  But, that goes out the window if we lose the turnover battle, and our QB was fortunate to only have 2 last week.  

I don't understand how anybody watched that game and isn't worried about the next one against a much better team.

And he also did some really good things. It was a mixed bag, but mostly positive, especially for a first start.  My point was really that concluding that it was a worrisome performance that should put us in some sort of a panic is an excessively negative take on things, but par for the course for a bunch of the Chicken Littles around here.

• Hook 'Em 1

He also underthrew some balls when the receivers had beat their men deep (including a TD), but it was his first start.  These situations are why coaches should let backup QBs throw during mop up duty instead of just handing off dives to the 4th string RB. Practice isn’t the game. 

13 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

And he also did some really good things. It was a mixed bag, but mostly positive, especially for a first start.  My point was really that concluding that it was a worrisome performance that should put us in some sort of a panic is an excessively negative take on things, but par for the course for a bunch of the Chicken Littles around here.

No, I agree with that.  I'm not in panic mode, and I agree that he was better in the second half, and Sark's adjusted playcalling helped with that.  That's encouraging.

But, it's not wrong to take the good with the bad.  Maalik's debut was flashes of good stuff mixed with multiple instances of concerning decision making.  He needs to play better for us to beat better teams, or his coach needs to run the ball 60 times a game.  It is what it is.

13 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

He had 3 or 4 other throws when he threw right into the teeth of the coverage but got away with it. Still bad decisions even if you get lucky on them. It shows he was either fooled by the coverage or careless. It's what Quinn would do last year until it got coached out of him. Murphy has been here a year and a half and needs to adjust unreasonably quickly if we want anything to play for by this time next week. Sucks that's the situation but it is. 

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

But, it's not wrong to take the good with the bad.  Maalik's debut was flashes of good stuff mixed with multiple instances of concerning decision making.  He needs to play better for us to beat better teams, or his coach needs to run the ball 60 times a game.  It is what it is.

That's the reality. It's unfair and unrealistic but it's where we are and we need it if we want any shot at the conference title and/or playoff.