THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Bro, we've seen this committee over the years tie themselves in knots to explain away 2 SEC teams getting in. Do I think it will happen, most likely no. I don't think Bama is beating Georgia unless Bama just has a perfect day. But I could very easily see Bama winning then we get the "see, this Bama team is different from the one Texas beat...Milroe was a different player". I could also see "it's hard to go undefeated in the SEC and Georgia did that all year until their final slip up". "The Big 12 just isn't as tough as the SEC and Texas lost to a 2 loss team". Granted that would have to be combined with FSU losing. Total chaos scenario. I won't even entertain Iowa winning. 

will ferrell anchorman GIF

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Hmbre97 said:

Please pull your head out of your ass and go look up who was the 2014 B1G champ and the results from that conf game. Then once you get some context about what happened and why in 2014, stick your head back up your ass and suffocate yourself.

I didn’t write that, genius.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. Undefeated > 1 loss P5 champ > 1 loss non champ > 2 loss P5 champ 

Yes. At least as the power 5 conferences go, the committee's primary ranking methodology for the final rankings has been clear:

First, record. Second championship. It is only in the event that these things don't resolve the debate that you move to any other factors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

When? The only time multiple teams from the same conference have gotten in is when they have better records than the conference champions. That isn't knots. It's lack of other options. I swear, people are mixing up the playoffs with the old BCS. 

Well fuck me then. But I'm already seeing media people saying Georgia is in regardless. 

The committee has a hard on for Oregon. We need them to beat UW because we’re not passing them. 

Lesser hard on for Ohio State, but still full chubb. The CFP bangs the table all the time about conference championships, so we should move in front of Ohio State with a win. 

We also need a Louisville win.

It sounds like a crazy parlay. I’m trying to talk myself into it. Oregon should beat UW. Florida State is starting a back up QB against an 11 win team on a neutral field. I just have this gut feeling the Cards let us down.

• Rage+1 1

I think if FSU, Michigan, or Georgia lose we are in.  If Georgia, Alabama, and Texas all have one loss, it will come down to Texas and Alabama as they will be conference Champs.  The committee will then give the nod to Texas based on head to head.  Oregon, Washington doesn't affect us much.  The winner is in and the loser is out.  The committee values conference champions.  

Edited by chemHORN
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well fuck me then. But I'm already seeing media people saying Georgia is in regardless. 

You guys need FSU to lose and Georgia to win.  Everything else looks like dogshit.  But FSU is a coin toss and you gotta like Georgia's chances.  Sad shit but OU was never left out with one loss and their one loss was always worse and their best win was never as good as at Bama.  /SwitzerSmiling

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The committee has a hard on for Oregon. We need them to beat UW because we’re not passing them. 

Lesser hard on for Ohio State, but still full chubb. The CFP bangs the table all the time about conference championships, so we should move in front of Ohio State with a win. 

It sounds like a crazy parlay. I’m trying to talk myself into it. Oregon should beat UW. Florida State is starting a back up QB against an 11 win team on a neutral field. I just have this gut feeling the Cards let us down.

This makes no sense.  A 2 loss Oregon is not gonna be ahead of Texas so why do we need them to beat Washington?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are you fucktarded? It sounds like a crazy parlay? It is one game you dolt. The Louisville game. Where the fuck are you getting a parlay from? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You guys need FSU to lose and Georgia to win.  Everything else looks like dogshit.  But FSU is a coin toss and you gotta like Georgia's chances.  Sad shit but OU was never left out with one loss and their one loss was always worse and their best win was never as good as at Bama.  /SwitzerSmiling

Georgia winning doesn't help. It hurts. 

• Hook 'Em 4

It dont make a shit if Georgia wins or not. If FSU goes down, Texas is in. Texas is ahead of Bama in any CFP debate. Sorry not sorry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just need Louisville to win - only realistic path.  We jump Pac 12 loser, tOSU (non Conf champ with one loss) and SEC non conf champ with one loss.

It's that simple.  

It's been (roughly) 10 years since Mack left and Charlie came to join us, maybe a full circle weekend on the simulation....let's go Cardinals...

image.png

Edited by t_eight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

It dont make a shit if Georgia wins or not. If FSU goes down, Texas is in. Texas is ahead of Bama in any CFP debate. Sorry not sorry. 

I think if any of FSU, Georgia, or Michigan go down Texas is in.  The winner of Oregon and Washington will be in so that game doesn't matter much.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, t_eight said:

Just need Louisville to win - only realistic path.  We jump Pac 12 loser, tOSU (non Conf champ with one loss) and SEC non conf champ with one loss.

It's that simple.  

It's been (roughly) 10 years since Mack left and Charlie came to join us, maybe a full circle weekend on the simulation....let's go Cardinals...

image.thumb.png.9ddf63c0f17391443817551b6e431acb.png

image.png

image.png

Negged for putting a picture of that loser on this page. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just have this gut feeling the Cards let us down.

Either way, I just hope they play a better game than Florida did last week.  FSU tried to lose that game multiple times, but Florida would have no part of it.  That shit was hard to watch.  Undisciplined, stupid football.  I was just thinking how thankful I was Napier isn't our coach.   

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Dude....too soon

• Haha 1

Just now, chemHORN said:

I think if any of FSU, Georgia, or Michigan go down Texas is in.  The winner of Oregon and Washington will be in so that game doesn't matter much.

I agree with you, except that I am not 100% we go over Bama. I am at 75% but I feel good about it. I think it matters how we look against OSU. We cant squeak by them or Bama will pass us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ESPN Path to the playoff for Bama: No. 8 Alabama: Path to the playoff: Win the SEC and hope Texas loses. Or win the SEC and have Florida State lose; that would leave Michigan, the Pac-12 champion, Alabama and Texas in the top four. The selection committee would consider one-loss Georgia and one-loss Ohio State in this scenario, but it would be difficult for them to justify, considering Alabama would have knocked off its top team, and Texas would have a win against the SEC champs. If Texas loses but Florida State wins, the top four could be Michigan, the Pac-12 champion, Florida State and Alabama.

They seem to imply that Texas is going to go in front of Bama. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I agree with you, except that I am not 100% we go over Bama. I am at 75% but I feel good about it. I think it matters how we look against OSU. We cant squeak by them or Bama will pass us. 

Maybe but I think a win is enough.  No matter when the game was played I think the commitee will send a message that head to head matters.  Plus I also think the committee will take any excuse they can to get Texas in. Both to have new blood in the playoff and to bring in the money having Texas in the playoff will bring in.  Plus if a close win against OSU seems like a problem just go back a week when Bama should have lost to Auburn who was terrible this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The committee has a hard on for Oregon. We need them to beat UW because we’re not passing them

If we win, we will pass the loser of the pac game and be behind the winner of the pac game. So why does it matter who wins that one?  Yes it would be great if we could be ahead of 1 loss champ Oregon if we needed to be,  but why is the committee keeping them ahead all this time?  That is a possibility, though, and passing an undefeated Washington is not, so root for Oregon and then let the debate happen when there’s actual stakes to the final order. 

nobody is going to fight for their opinion for the weekly order that has zero value. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Poll voters and the committee have short memories, and nobody is going to give a flying fuck about us beating Oklahoma State.  Meanwhile, Georgia vs. Alabama will be the game of the year to all of those people, and Oregon vs. Washington will also be given much more weight than our game. 

It’s time to come to terms with us getting fucked against a 1 loss Oregon, Georgia, and/or Alabama.  We will pass Ohio State if we win.  We will pass FSU and Washington if they lose.  The possibility of getting the benefit of the doubt over the other 1 loss teams depended on us moving up this week, and that didn’t happen.

The path is Louisville beating Florida State, and then making sure the SEC won’t get 2 teams in.  Yes, we beat Alabama. And yes, if they beat 2 time defending champ Georgia while we beat Oklahoma State, the committee will drop us in a heartbeat even if logically that should make our win even more meaningful.   Because, and I cannot stress this enough, NOBODY WILL GIVE A FLYING FUCK IF WE DESTROY OKLAHOMA STATE.

We are not getting dropped for Georgia when we have a win over Bama and FSU has lost. Get a fucking grip my dude. Seek help. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Poll voters and the committee have short memories, and nobody is going to give a flying fuck about us beating Oklahoma State.  Meanwhile, Georgia vs. Alabama will be the game of the year to all of those people, and Oregon vs. Washington will also be given much more weight than our game. 

It’s time to come to terms with us getting fucked against a 1 loss Oregon, Georgia, and/or Alabama.  We will pass Ohio State if we win.  We will pass FSU and Washington if they lose.  The possibility of getting the benefit of the doubt over the other 1 loss teams depended on us moving up this week, and that didn’t happen.

The path is Louisville beating Florida State, and then making sure the SEC won’t get 2 teams in.  Yes, we beat Alabama. And yes, if they beat 2 time defending champ Georgia while we beat Oklahoma State, the committee will drop us behind them in a heartbeat even if logically that should make our win even more meaningful.   Because, and I cannot stress this enough, NOBODY WILL GIVE A FLYING FUCK IF WE DESTROY OKLAHOMA STATE.

Poll voters have no say in the playoff at all.  The committee has shown that winning a conference championship has meaning to them in the past.  The committee is not bound by anything other than the rules they come up with themselves so trying to judge this like it's the BCS or like the polls have any sway in this is useless.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agreed.

43 minutes ago, Red Five said:

When I read threads like this I wonder how many of these people routinely go about their normal lives spouting complete nonsense with amazing confidence. Or is that limited to just the internet? 

Oh shit, I just realized 15 of my ex-bosses must post on this thread. 

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yeah.  GL w that.  I wouldn’t be sitting fat and happy if Bama wins.  If FSU loses (that’s a must) you definitely want Bama to lose.  Simple.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Dude....too soon

I just don’t see that FSU team I saw Saturday winning.  And I like Georgia over Bama.  It may not seem like it now, but all this is half the fun.  You guys are in the thick of all the discussions.  Enjoy it.  That’s easy for me to say as what followed was always either a chokejob loss (Georgia) or total buttfucking.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

They seem to imply that Texas is going to go in front of Bama. 

Yeah, the committee has had plenty of chances to jump Alabama over Texas while we were struggling a bit and Bama had some good wins during that stretch.  That isn't 100% guarantee a CCG win over Georgia doesn't tip the scale, but they clearly haven't forgotten about the head to head.  The dialog I've heard consistently that Texas goes in over Bama based on head to head (even from Bama homers), but then in the next sentence they say the SEC champ deserves to go.  Unprecedented conflict, I don't think anyone knows for sure what the committee does with that.  I think Texas is the less controversial pick, but that may not mean anything to the committee

• Hook 'Em 1

I just don’t see that FSU team I saw Saturday winning.  And I like Georgia over Bama.  It may not seem like it now, but all this is half the fun.  You guys are in the thick of all the discussions.  Enjoy it.  That’s easy for me to say as what followed was always either a chokejob loss (Georgia) or total buttfucking.  

I am enjoying it. I was referring to you referencing 2008.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah.  GL w that.  I wouldn’t be sitting fat and happy if Bama wins.  If FSU loses (that’s a must) you definitely want Bama to lose.  Simple.  

Yeah, your gonna have to explain to me how Texas gets left out. Try and construct a real and rationale argument that stays in the purview of this season. 

Let's compare the 3 teams:

1. Conference Championship (Bama and Texas) (Bonus point for Texas they beat the SEC champs and are the only team in the field with a win over another playoff team) Tex > Bama > Georgia

2. Head 2 Head (Adv Texas who beat Bama) (Adv Bama who beat Georgia) Tex > Bama > Georgia

Shit this isnt going to well for Georgia, let's move to item 3....

3. Strength of Schedule (Texas > Bama > Georgia)

Well shit there is always...

4. Common Opponents (Adv Texas who beat Bama on the road) (Georgia lost to Bama at a neutral site)

Well there you have it folks, obviously Georgia is going to get in over Texas!!! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

\There is no interesting story with Alabama either; no possible heisman winner, fatigue of seeing Bama in the playoff, our H2H win. 

\

Besides the head to head, having “no interesting story, no heisman winner, and Alabama fatigue” are things you a.) have made up and b.) will not impact Alabama making it in. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yeah, your gonna have to explain to me how Texas gets left out. Try and construct a real and rationale argument that stays in the purview of this season. 

Let's compare the 3 teams:

1. Conference Championship (Bama and Texas) (Bonus point for Texas they beat the SEC champs and are the only team in the field with a win over another playoff team) Tex > Bama > Georgia

2. Head 2 Head (Adv Texas who beat Bama) (Adv Bama who beat Georgia) Tex > Bama > Georgia

Shit this isnt going to well for Georgia, let's move to item 3....

3. Strength of Schedule (Texas > Bama > Georgia)

Well shit there is always...

4. Common Opponents (Adv Texas who beat Bama on the road) (Georgia lost to Bama at a neutral site)

Well there you have it folks, obviously Georgia is going to get in over Texas!!! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!

Sure.  All that LOOKS right.  But then it’s Bama slaying Georgia.  Again, no idea why you’d be so comfortable not caring who wins that game.  Georgia wins and you’re guaranteed in with a FSU loss, but the Great Hornsby wants to leave it in the hands of the committee?  Lol

I didn’t say what would happen.  I did say what you guys should root for.  Cool paragraph though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Washington losing is more important than Georgia losing. We wouldn't go over 13-0 UW but could feasibly go over 12-1 UO even if Bama loses. 

Committee has made it pretty clear since week 1 that Oregon/Washington are tied at the hip and ranked above us. Oregon avenging its only loss (at Wash) while Washington stays a top 6 team.

Both teams being ranked ahead of us in every ranking this year there is no way the committee is going to have us jump the winner of that game, no chance. 

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]