Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Besides F1, has another car/driver won 20 straight races in any professional series?

04 FER won 16/18 races, and in the 2 they didn't win they had a driver finish 3rd - Schumacher won 13 of the 17 he finished. Barrichello won 2.

14 Mercedes won 16 of 19 and had a top 2 driver in 18 of 19 races which is incredible. the one they didn't have a top 2 they finished 3rd and 4th

16 Mercedes won 19 of 21 between Rosberg and Hamilton. technically they won 19 of the 20 races where both drivers finished. the one they didn't win ROS finished 3rd and Lewis had a DNF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_driver_records

23 was wild as hell, and Max set a ton of record, but the guy led 75% of the laps run for the season - which is incredible.

image.png.e736f823a55b1dffd5b8c223e90f7a15.png

if someone wants to dig further into it, i think this is probably the years to look at

image.png.23af48480ce19a5f41bd87754da38439.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I know, I know, it's only Day 1 but Max is making mincemeat of the field... Again. And judging by the comments, there are definitely a lot of full racing laps happening. Ominous signs of a repeat of 2023.

Formula E CEO has already come out and said he will donate $250k to charity if anyone other than Max wins the WDC this year.  I don't think he's in any risk of losing that money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

For comparison, Max took pole in Bahrain last year at 1:29.708.

Fastest lap in the race was Zhou at 1:33.996.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Even though I cancelled my F1TV Pro already, it's paid through like March 3, so I took in highlights of each of today's test sessions. The early session was fine, but when I watched the evening session, they had the audio from the early session playing over video from the evening session.

Amazing.

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I don't recall Bahrain being bumpy enough to cause THAT many sparks. 

Are the cars running lower and/or is porpoising back?

Not sure if they're all running low, but the Merc seemed to be running very low this a.m. on the main straight down toward T1. Sounded like maybe some porpoising too, but I couldn't actually see any evidence of that.  ETA:  In that video it does seem to be the Merc that's scraping/sparking the most, maybe a bit rhythmically in the slo-mo bit at the end, too.

Edited by wood

I have about one more week to be hopeful/optimistic as a Ferrari fan and then I’ll have to shift my attention towards 2025. 

Ever since Vasseur got to Ferrari, he’s talked about understanding the car, mainly in terms of tyre degradation and a predictable base to build from. Ferrari ran some long race sims today, and their times were insanely consistent lap over lap. Sainz stayed in the low 37s for about 17 laps. Last year, Ferrari’s tires would fall off after 7-8 laps. They’ve never showed this type of easiness on the tires since about 2017. Red Bull look to be ahead of the pack with all their innovations this year, but I’m cautiously optimistic Ferrari will be the clear second team with this kind of tire deg. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/s/OTnDagfyHh 

The other thing Vasseur changed last year was hiring a new head of strategy, and Ferrari’s strategy was notably better last year. 

Finally, a lot of technical experts have noted that the current Ferrari aero is fairly basic, and Ferrari have talked about wanting to confirm correlation on track before they bring more changes. Their head of technical said they already have updates in the wind tunnel that could be ready 4-5 races into the season. If this car continues to be predictable and easy on its tires, they could start to bring some pace improvements rather quickly.

IMG_4825.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Interesting graph of Sainz race sim from Day 2 and Leclerc’s from Race 3. Neither of them refueled for these so they are actual race sims. Looks like Ferrari is finding the limits for tire deg. Leclerc clearly pushed more on his stints, which caused more deg later in the stints. According to an Italian reporter, Lecerc’s race sim was 18 seconds faster than Sainz. It goes to show that between engine mode, fuel load and how much a driver is actually pushing can drastically change times and tire deg. In other words, we still know absolutely nothing other than Max will win WDC with about 8 races left. 

IMG_4830.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

PSA: DTS dropped today. 

DTS is what got me into the sport. I now have zero desire to watch it. Seemed like the first one was great for introducing the names, teams, and the sport overall. The next ones were good for showing some behind the scenes stuff. Last season just felt like a recap of the year.

Can't imagine there will be much that's interesting to see from the 2023 season given it was a blowout.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

DTS is what got me into the sport. I now have zero desire to watch it. Seemed like the first one was great for introducing the names, teams, and the sport overall. The next ones were good for showing some behind the scenes stuff. Last season just felt like a recap of the year.

Can't imagine there will be much that's interesting to see from the 2023 season given it was a blowout.

Since I've always watched the F1 season long before DtS episodes were released, I've never watched them with any interest in the outcomes of the specific races or the end result of the WDC and WCC.  For me it's entirely about the soap opera, and last season there were plenty of high drama moments to be captured.  I'm especially  interested to see what behind the scenes stuff they feature for the Las Vegas race, there should be plenty to choose from.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Since I've always watched the F1 season long before DtS episodes were released, I've never watched them with any interest in the outcomes of the specific races or the end result of the WDC and WCC.  For me it's entirely about the soap opera, and last season there were plenty of high drama moments to be captured.  I'm especially  interested to see what behind the scenes stuff they feature for the Las Vegas race, there should be plenty to choose from.

Can you refresh my memory? 

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ah yes, a valve cover coming up in FP1. Riveting.

That drain cover destroyed Sainz' Ferrari, forcing them to make repairs that resulted in grid penalties, and Toto just sat there baiting and taunting Vasseur in the ensuing press conference, smirking and saying "well, them's the rules and there's just nothing to be done about it" even though it's possible that the teams could have agreed NOT to enforce the penalty.

I found that to be pretty dramatic.  If you don't, that's cool, and if you don't want to watch the show, that's cool.  Doesn't affect me at all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ah yes, a valve cover coming up in FP1. Riveting.

Apparently, not ENOUGH riveting.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

DTS also turned me on to F1.  I also have zero desire to watch it, but I'm sure I'll have a weak moment and check it out.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I enjoy getting to know the personalities and the fact that when it drops there's a race the next week.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Same. Was the reason I got into F1 and now I couldn’t care less about it. I just like the meta memes that we may get out of it. 

From Autosport re: Vegas. LOL, what starts here & all that:

This in the last 90 mins, county OKs three more years as long as the preparations meet the approval process.  That’s no different than how it was before.  It always needed approval.  The difference is now the county will be (or at least say they will) more directly involved prior to things being done.  Last year they/we found out at either the last minute or after work had began.  This was basically a public flex to tell F1 the locals were in charge.  

My prediction next up settlement or lawsuit from the impacted business.  Race will happen this year.  Could get ugly though. 

https://news3lv.com/...-big-return-f1-

I reckon the meeting went something like this…

Also, some testing analysis from a poster that I thought was interesting:

Here is my very rough analysis:

Race sims

Race-Sims-Bahrain.png

(Please don't ask me why the stint avg and the total avg don't seem to line up, I have checked and double checked)

The reason most sims total 52 rather than 57 is because I haven't included lap 1, in laps, and out laps.

I had to guesstimate Leclerc and Piastri because they didn't get to finish their final (quickest) stint.

Ferrari are quick
Piastri really didn't have a good race sim, albeit he's not the lead driver and Bahrain is a weak McLaren track
Albon was looking great until the final stint, but even so it was a strong run considering time of day
Encouraging for Haas but probably flattered by track conditions / time of day
Solid from Bottas and potentially a slower day 2 track
Ricciardo unrepresentative time of day but clearly quicker than Magnussen

Interesting long runs

Good-Long-Runs-Bahrain.png

Verstappen is reported to be carrying 85kg for his 15 lap runs, so adjusting to full tanks is 0.3/0.4s, same conditions as Leclerc, first stint avg 1:37.6
Aston's aren't setting the world on fire but good consistency and deg. Hard to read but I think ahead of McLaren next weekend.
Red Bull

Ferrari +0.3

Mercedes ?

Aston Martin +0.6

McLaren +0.9

RB +1.0

Alpine ?

Williams +1.2

Sauber +1.3

Haas +1.5

Edited by wood

17 hours ago, wood said:

From Autosport re: Vegas. LOL, what starts here & all that:

Also, some testing analysis from a poster that I thought was interesting:

The telemetry and speed traps made it look like Verstappen had his engine way tuned down. certainly more so that Leclerc and others. He was one of the slowest in the speed traps on those stints. So probably need to add another .2/.3 to everyone else’s times to adjust for engine mode. I’ll be beyond shocked if the gap between Verstappen and Ferrari is only .3.