Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh they had that covered right here:

image.thumb.png.b714d1b756033ee4d57e7a64fbe6b776.png

Lol. That's approaching Project Connect map territory.

Liar? No. Serial wife beater, including Max's own mother? Yeah, ok, but he's not a liar. Didn't Jos leave the track at Abu Dhabi 2021 when it looked certain Lewis was going to win? But hey, he's not a liar.

11 hours ago, faps said:

I have this pdf from long, long ago. Not as pretty as those roll plots above. But kinda cool to look around in.

COTA Layout.pdf 8.42 MB · 6 downloads

Thanks for posting this! I finally got a chance to open it up and take a look around. That's one of the previous versions. Y'all see that permanent concession/restroom building near T11? That's one of about 7 or 8 that were originally planned but never got built because Bobby axed 'em. You can also see the original plan for the hill that was there before Bobby decided to build the amphitheater and $14M tower. It was a perfect natural hillside viewing area for T16-19. You can also see where the topography slopes away from the track on the exit of 10. A berm was supposed to be built up there, that would have allowed excellent viewing of 10 and would have joined up with the natural hillside viewing that begins down closer to 11. That was a baby of Hellmund's because it's such a fantastic spot, but Bobby axed it because who fucking knows why. It probably would have cost nada & would have been just a matter of moving dirt dug from the track to T10 instead of somewhere else. That woulda been one of the best spots to view F1 cars and prototypes doing F1 car and prototype things. But instead you can't see anything at all from there, because you're downhill from the track, looking up at the fence.

There are also older versions out there that show other things, like how Tavo wanted the exit of 1 more open, with a faster T2 leading  to faster esses and T6-10. T6-10 in particular were much straighter and quicker than they are now, but the FIA wouldn't have it, fearing the cars would get too light coming across 9 and carrying too much speed into 10 with a downhill runoff. 16-18 used to also be more open and faster, leading to a faster 19 and potentially an overtaking spot at 20, but again, FIA. I have some shots somewhere of those old display models I took at early meetings. I'll see if I can find them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, utee94 said:

Oh they had that covered right here:

image.thumb.png.b714d1b756033ee4d57e7a64fbe6b776.png

Yeah lol I 'member that one. Fuckers. Probably the only reason all those trees were added to that rendering was because the City Council told them the planting of something like 1000 trees was a requirement to get the COA endorsement they needed in order to receive METF (now MERP) funding. Richard Suttle probably made sure of that before the huge final vote. Of course the fucks at the City never followed up on any of that shit.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

Some interesting data about Leclerc’s Bahrain pace. Ferrari estimated Leclerc lost about 6 tenths per lap on his early soft stint due to the braking issue and then was able to better manage the break temperature imbalance as fuel load went down and he got used to it, but still lost some time. 

Leclerc has averaged about .25 per lap faster than Sainz at Bahrain from 2021-2023, so if you give Ferrari an additional 2 tenths per lap and take off a  pole seconds Sainz lost for having to fight through the field, it’s very likely Leclerc would’ve finished second and Ferrari got a 2-3 or 2-4 finish while being about 15 seconds off Max. Obviously Max is in a league of his own, but Ferrari having the pace to fight with Perez and get P2s while staying in Max’s pit stop window would certainly add some more excitement to the season. 

Then again, this may all be irrelevant as every team seems to be bringing big updates in the first 5 or 6 races. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

For anyone who's interested in this stuff, I found some of what I was looking for. Some of these pics suck, and a lot of the changes are subtle, but you'll get the idea. I also have an old rendering somewhere of one of Tilke's original plans that Tavo axed. It'is absolutely nothing like what Tavo wanted and doesn't take advantage of the topography at all. There's no run up to T1 or anything. It's crazy how bad it is. I'm still looking for that one.

Spoiler

On the model in the first 3 pics, T2 isn't as sharp as now, and the esses are much quicker. T7, 8, and 9 in particular are much straighter. T2 and 17-19 are much quicker on this model, too. Even T1 isn't as sharp as it is now. You can see a now-deleted turn out between current turns 9 & 10.  I'd forgotten about this. It was supposed to go around a building that got axed later. The building was supposed to be for a 'motorsport club' or somesuch. 

5ofznQp.jpg

e2UzBnA.jpg

TU1QWDG.jpg

Here the building has been moved back from the track, and the 'extra' turn deleted. You can still see a more open, faster T2-9, while T17-19 have been made sharper and slower than before. You can also still see lots of permanent structures listed as 'concessions/restrooms'.

2jWUnOF.jpg

Here, that building has been deleted.

S8D0W6O.jpg

This is another of the same version. This one really does a good job of showing how straight 6-9 were compared to now.

x3WvP77.jpg

For comparison, here's what it all looks like now. In the end, 18 was opened back up, but 19 was made even sharper and slower. T7-9 were slowed dramatically as well.

COTA_track_layout-1.jpeg

Edited by wood
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Levi said:

Can you not stream FP2 on F1 TV? It’s only showing live timing.

Depends on the version you have. F1TV pro ($85 per year) has everything live. F1TV ($30 per year) only has live timing and then replays later.

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Depends on the version you have. F1TV pro ($85 per year) has everything live. F1TV ($30 per year) only has live timing and then replays later.

I’m a dumbass. I kept clicking on timing and not TV.

Posted (edited)

I said above I was looking for Tilke's COTA plan. Well, I found one of them. It's his layout, but not the artist's rendering I had. Here it is. It's on the same compass orientation as the current layout below it. Hellmund had already given him the napkin drawing some of you have probably seen, and this is what he came back with. Hellmund saw it and said something to the effect of 'GTFOHWTS'.

Look at this shit, lol.

tilke cota layout.jpg

2jWUnOF.jpg

8 hours ago, Levi said:

I’m a dumbass.

leonardo-di-caprio-one-of-us.gif

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

18 yo Brit F2 driver,  Haas reserve driver and member of Ferrari Driver Academy. 

This could be quite the weekend for him. He qualified on pole in F2 yesterday and he qualified P2 at Jeddah last year, so he’s good at this track. Should be interesting to see where he qualifies and how he does in the race. Ferrari looks to be second fastest here, so he’s got a good chance to score some points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Max is a damn machine. I have no doubt he could take that Ferrari and put it on pole. Likely take the AM and McLaren and put them on the front row. 

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Max is a damn machine. I have no doubt he could take that Ferrari and put it on pole. Likely take the AM and McLaren and put them on the front row. 

Lol wut. Max is a good qualifier, but it’s the car. Checo is historically a bad qualifier and Max only beat him by 3 tenths. There was nothing special about that quali from Max.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I really have nothing against Apline. I want a bunch of teams to be good.

I honestly think they stopped trying (again) sometime early last year. There have been rumors that Renault won't commit enough funding since before that. Embarrassing performance for a works team. I wonder if they're on their way out again.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol wut. Max is a good qualifier, but it’s the car. Checo is historically a bad qualifier and Max only beat him by 3 tenths. There was nothing special about that quali from Max.

That’s a pretty big margin for a qualifying lap. Extrapolate that over the course of tomorrow’s race and he wins by 15 seconds. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s a pretty big margin for a qualifying lap. Extrapolate that over the course of tomorrow’s race and he wins by 15 seconds. 

If Checo was a good qualifier, it would be impressive, but Checo has been a below average qualifier his entire career. Beating Checo by 3 tenths isn’t some super impressive qualifying performance. It was good but nothing special. Certainly not something to lose your mind over, like OP did. 

Just now, wood said:

OBTW that Alonso guy seems pretty good.

Yeah, great performance by Alonso. It looks like AM developed a green SF 23. Very fast in quali but falls back in the race. Stroll posting his fastest time of the day in Q1 and being that far off his teammate in Q3 gave me a good laugh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I know I'm not a longtime fan like lots of you, but this Max domination has killed my desire to watch F1.  Knowing the race is over after turn 1 sucks.

That's just F1. It's like this way more often than not. It's been similar to this for all but 2 or 3 of at least the last 15 seasons. It's not for everyone though.

For me, it beats the alternatives, like BoP, success ballast, spec racing (which is fine but not in a constructor series), the lottery that NASCAR has become on big tracks, etc.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Well, at least Red Bull is about to fall apart internally.

And me and my kid last night were talking about Newey. He's 65. Who knows how much longer he does this. When he goes, it'll be his proteges all battling each other. Could be cool.

Yeah but the original comment was that he’d win in a Ferrari. Would he with their pit wall and strategy? We are checking.

I think max would tell those dudes to get fucked and would win despite them.