Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Re: The Red Bull/Horner stuff

Do I have it right that Horner may leave or Marko may leave or Max may leave but we have no idea the actual reason why except that a female staffer had a complaint of some sort that we don't know what it is?

This drama keeps going on and I'm absolutely lost on the "why" behind all these stories about possible break ups. I'd actually be interested in what's going on except it seems totally opaque. As it is, I honestly don't care at all because I can't understand the story.

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Helmut Marko on Yuki and Ricciardo's performances:

"Yuki's qualifying performance was very good and Ricciardo will have to come up with something soon."

Helmut is going to shit on the guy who is close to Horner 100% of the time for the rest of his short life. He's a miserable human being who overinflates his importance to the team and the team's success.

Yuki has shown a lot of "ain't shit" the last 2 years. out qualified him, yes. but man it's a shitbox and Yuki isn't showing shit.

i guess that Helmut missed the long pit stop like the announcers

The Australian did not have the start of the season he had hoped for.

we are currently 8% of the way into the season.

for comparison, NdV got 10 races last year, which was 43% of the season. they aren't dumping him for at LEAST another 8 races.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And Alonso to slide nicely into his car at RBR. I could go for that ...

Alonzo is getting pretty old. He is still a good driver, but he hasn’t been able to defend this year like in the past. Maybe the AM just isn’t nimble enough this year.

15 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Alonzo is getting pretty old. He is still a good driver, but he hasn’t been able to defend this year like in the past. Maybe the AM just isn’t nimble enough this year.

Huh? The car's race pace was dreadful in Bahrain, but it was improved in Jeddah, and with that came better defense by Alonso. He held George out of DRS range for the last 37 laps of the race, keeping him behind by 1.0 to 1.5 seconds almost the entire time. Put him in a quick car, and watch him go. Racecraft is not a problem for Fernando.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Those are the most recent rumours….

Yup. But who knows ... 

Would be cool to see Max at Merc, Lewis and Chuck fucking with each other at Ferrari, Alonso at RBR, and maybe Albon at AM.

• Drool 1

18 hours ago, NoName said:

Helmut is going to shit on the guy who is close to Horner 100% of the time for the rest of his short life. He's a miserable human being who overinflates his importance to the team and the team's success.

Yuki has shown a lot of "ain't shit" the last 2 years. out qualified him, yes. but man it's a shitbox and Yuki isn't showing shit.

i guess that Helmut missed the long pit stop like the announcers

we are currently 8% of the way into the season.

for comparison, NdV got 10 races last year, which was 43% of the season. they aren't dumping him for at LEAST another 8 races.

I think maybe 10% of the problem is Daniel, 90% isn't. Give him a solid ride with a solid team and he will perform.

• Hook 'Em 4

I don’t see any way Max leaves before 2026. He’d be crazy to hop teams next year because he’s be voluntarily giving a WDC to someone else. Even hopping in 2026 is risky until he sees who handles the new regs best. I guess he could sign a one year deal in 2026 so he’s free to jump to the best car after year 1 of the new regs, but the worst thing he could do is tie himself to a team for multiple years before he knows who will be on top. 

• Hook 'Em 4

As much as I love Danny, I feel like maybe Lawson should be in that seat. Let Danny go be a brand ambassador. Do the stuff that Coulthard is doing. Yuki ain't it either, but seems he is there because of Honda connections.

41 minutes ago, faps said:

As much as I love Danny, I feel like maybe Lawson should be in that seat. Let Danny go be a brand ambassador. 

Did you see the Silverstone tests?

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t see any way Max leaves before 2026. He’d be crazy to hop teams next year because he’s be voluntarily giving a WDC to someone else. Even hopping in 2026 is risky until he sees who handles the new regs best. I guess he could sign a one year deal in 2026 so he’s free to jump to the best car after year 1 of the new regs, but the worst thing he could do is tie himself to a team for multiple years before he knows who will be on top. 

It’s most likely gonna be Mercedes or Red Bull so anywhere else and he’s ok with not winning anymore.

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Endurance I would hope. He’s too much of a talent to sit in his bedroom. 

Yep, and he and Fernando have already been talking about racing WEC together. That team would be just a little loaded.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Huh? The car's race pace was dreadful in Bahrain, but it was improved in Jeddah, and with that came better defense by Alonso. He held George out of DRS range for the last 37 laps of the race, keeping him behind by 1.0 to 1.5 seconds almost the entire time. Put him in a quick car, and watch him go. Racecraft is not a problem for Fernando.

You are right. I went back and watched it. George could do nothing against him.

Bahrain he couldn’t hold up anyone, but I think it was the track and car setup.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I've been wondering for a while what Renault was doing re: F1, thinking it looked a lot like they're winding their F1 participation down. Now there is a rumor that GM/Andretti are buying the team, engines included. This is great re: getting Andretti into F1 and getting rid of a shitty team, but I hate the idea of F1 being limited to 10 teams going forward. Unreal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 hours ago, deft said:

Don’t take your kids to the Lego store unless you want to end up buying yourself a toy 932bb1c3922af9acfb62aec2d41a9442.jpg
8bf5e5a6bb9e3cdef7b5ec7a2f4d5c21.jpg

I like how you were able to cut weight with those spare pieces.

19 hours ago, deft said:

Don’t take your kids to the Lego store unless you want to end up buying yourself a toy 932bb1c3922af9acfb62aec2d41a9442.jpg
8bf5e5a6bb9e3cdef7b5ec7a2f4d5c21.jpg

Lego should card buyers and offer an alternate set of bricks for 21+ that say "Marlboro" for the back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wood said:

So I've been wondering for a while what Renault was doing re: F1, thinking it looked a lot like they're winding their F1 participation down. Now there is a rumor that GM/Andretti are buying the team, engines included. This is great re: getting Andretti into F1 and getting rid of a shitty team, but I hate the idea of F1 being limited to 10 teams going forward. Unreal.

Yep.  Glad to get rid of a team that doesn't want to be there, but the 10 team cap is arbitrary for sure.

34 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I picked it up to put it together with my daughter. She just turned two. Maybe a tad over-eager on my part.  

LOL yeah I used to do stuff like that when my boys were little, then I'd forget about 'em and find 'em years later (the gifts, not the boys).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw someone on Quora saying F1 cars are heavier than FE and FE's “handling capabilities on the same road course are generally comparable”. That's cute, but naw, man. Now, I know F1 cars, even as bloated and heavy as they are, are still lighter than FE, and I know that even the Gen 3 FE cars are still way slower than F1, so I decided to do a little digging and find out just how slow they are.

FE has never run on the same circuits F1 runs on until recently, and there’s a reason for that - the same reason they choose small, narrow street courses - so they don’t look so slow. The one F1 circuit that FE has raced without  changing away from the F1 layout is Monaco. 

Even on F1’s slowest track, F1 cars were miles ahead of FE in 2023. So were the F2 cars. And the F3 cars. Current FE cars are comparable to 50 year old F1 cars from the early 1970s, but not new ones.

Fastest Qualifying Laps:        F1: 1:11.3        F2: 1:21.05        F3: 1:23.2        FE: 1:28.9

Fastest laps in the race:        F1: 1:15.6        F2: 1:21.7          F3: 1:25.1        FE: 1:31.1

I'm not all that surprised that F2 & F3 are quicker than FE, but the size of those gaps are a little surprising imho.

At that time differential, F1 would lap FE about every 5 or 6 laps.  F2 would take 9 or so laps, & F3 something like 16 laps. The closest time that I could find to an FE 2023 car for a top runner at Monaco was the 2022 Monaco Historique Serie E winner, in a 1973 McLaren M23. Stuart Hall put it on pole with a 1:29.4. He also won Serie D that year, in a 1971 McLaren M19A, with a pole time of 1:30.1.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1