Shooting at UNLV

Pancho

Shooting at UNLV could have been worse, officials say
Rebecca Cohen

Las Vegas Police Sheriff Kevin McMahill lauded the swift efforts of responders, saying they prevented what could have been an even greater loss of life on the UNLV campus this afternoon.

Students were gathered just outside Beam Hall "playing games and eating food" at the time of the shooting, McMahill said. Tables were set up outside for them to "build Legos."

"If it hadn't been for the heroic actions of one of those police officers who responded, there could have been countless additional lives taken," McMahill said, adding that "armed confrontation of the suspect by law enforcement stopped the suspect's further actions."

Clark County Commission Chairman Jim Gibson echoed McMahill's sentiments at a news conference.

“Without the incredibly well-trained and effective response provided, a whole lot worse situation could have happened,” Gibson said.  

Is this the new "thoughts and prayers" that always accompanies shootings?

Flight was delayed getting into LAS they said this was why, traffic also been a mess. Minor inconvenience of course but damn you could see the scene in the air and it was wild. /csb I guess but this shit is fucked up.

this could have been worse line that’s the new norm is insane 

Edited by Zepol87

6 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Flight was delayed getting into LAS they said this was why, traffic also been a mess. Minor inconvenience of course but damn you could see the scene in the air and it was wild. /csb I guess but this shit is fucked up.

this could have been worse line that’s the new norm is insane 

My flight out of LAS was on time, but a colleague was delayed leaving because the pilots were stuck in the traffic. We barely missed the road closures. Our Uber had a pissed off cop yelling at us, trying to shut down traffic on the way to the airport. 

40 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I had no idea she shot her brother too....

She will never admit it. She was jealous of him. Seemed like he was all the things she was not and could never be. I bet for him growing up with her was an experience. I watched a special where they interviewed her students and they mentioned she’d always bring up that she was “Harvard educated.” Then pretending she was in a fog afterwords. Pretty much the same shit she did after shooting her brother. I bet all he wanted was to escape from her—that house—but you know not that way obviously. 
Yet another person with shitty problem solving skills. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

She will never admit it. She was jealous of him. Seemed like he was all the things she was not and could never be. I bet for him growing up with her was an experience. I watched a special where they interviewed her students and they mentioned she’d always bring up that she was “Harvard educated.” Then pretending she was in a fog afterwords. Pretty much the same shit she did after shooting her brother. I bet all he wanted was to escape from her—that house—but you know not that way obviously. 
Yet another person with shitty problem solving skills. 

Yeah Jiles skewers her pretty good in that clip and I tend to agree with you after watching it.  Crazy her parents helped cover up the shooting.... just a horrible horrible example to set and sad that 3 real professors also lost their lives to that monster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah Jiles skewers her pretty good in that clip and I tend to agree with you after watching it.  Crazy her parents helped cover up the shooting.... just a horrible horrible example to set and sad that 3 real professors also lost their lives to that monster.

Absolutely tragic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/anthony-polito-s-know-unlv-shooting-suspect-accused-killing-3-wounding-rcna128499

According to Polito’s LinkedIn, he was an associate professor at East Carolina University in North Carolina from August 2001 to January 2017. NBC News reached out to the university for comment.

Several students praised him and his classes, according to posts on ratemyprofessors.com. 

“Dr. Polito’s class is one of my favorite classes that I have taken. He provides so many real-world examples with stories which further drive the understanding of concepts. This isn’t taught as a ‘typical’ class which is looked down on but I have learned so much and retained the concepts in this class than any other class I have taken,” a November 2016 post read. 

Another student called him the “best professor at ECU,” according to an October 2016 post. In a December 2014 post, a student called his teaching style “unorthodox” but said he was a “cool guy.”

He probably threatened to shoot his previous classes if they didn't give him 5 Stars!!

Too soon?

Edited by crash_davis

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The gunman who opened fire Wednesday on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas killing three people and wounding a fourth had applied for a job at the school but was not hired, according to two senior law enforcement officials briefed on the case.

The officials identified the man as Anthony Polito, 67, who was shot dead by police following a confrontation outside the university. Law enforcement officials said he did not apply for the job at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas recently, and a specific motive for the shooting is unclear.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAYtfgV4yWbwSZhfHKxZw

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/anthony-polito-s-know-unlv-shooting-suspect-accused-killing-3-wounding-rcna128499

According to Polito’s LinkedIn, he was an associate professor at East Carolina University in North Carolina from August 2001 to January 2017. NBC News reached out to the university for comment.

Several students praised him and his classes, according to posts on ratemyprofessors.com. 

“Dr. Polito’s class is one of my favorite classes that I have taken. He provides so many real-world examples with stories which further drive the understanding of concepts. This isn’t taught as a ‘typical’ class which is looked down on but I have learned so much and retained the concepts in this class than any other class I have taken,” a November 2016 post read. 

Another student called him the “best professor at ECU,” according to an October 2016 post. In a December 2014 post, a student called his teaching style “unorthodox” but said he was a “cool guy.”

He probably threatened to shoot his previous classes if they didn't give him 5 Stars!!

Too soon?

Never getting full professor likely ate at him for years. What was he doing for work at the time of the shooting? Teaching somewhere else?