2024 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

Charley is “WM’s” green guy, so him winning at his sponsor’s tourney would be epic! He had a great 3rd round to get in contention.

Sheffler trying to win a 3rd straight is epic in its own right. Spieth finishing within the Top 10 will help kick start this season for him too.

Hook’em!!!

I'm over this tournament. It's a fucking clown show full of douchebags just looking to get hammered and make a fool of themselves for 5 seconds of TikTok fame. Listening to the fan comments is so... cringe. I get golf fans are just awkward as F to begin with but this tournament is so bad. Forget the fact that the whole draw is a wholly pedestrian bullshit par 3 that they carnival'd up into a spectacle. 

Just make this a LIV stop. What an embarrassment.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I'm over this tournament. It's a fucking clown show full of douchebags just looking to get hammered and make a fool of themselves for 5 seconds of TikTok fame. Listening to the fan comments is so... cringe. I get golf fans are just awkward as F to begin with but this tournament is so bad. Forget the fact that the whole draw is a wholly pedestrian bullshit par 3 that they carnival'd up into a spectacle. 

I think the breaks in play due to the weather - including a long break between rounds on the same day - are as much responsible for things getting this out of control. With no golf to watch there wasn't anything else to do but get even more wasted.

It also didn't help that this occurred on the Saturday which is the rowdiest day of the tournament. ASU students arrive in the morning already drunk out of their minds. 

Lighten up Francis
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Lighten up Francis

I'm certainly not alone in my opinion, see Jay Monahan story above. When top brass wants to can a long running, high revenue, high visibility stop on tour, things have gone way south.

We all can agree, watching golf is a niche thing. This is their attempt to make it for everyone and for those of us in that niche, I think it sucks. Hearing the fans constantly mouth off stupid shit repeatedly (way more so than usual) and then watching players have to react, sometimes aggressively, is not appealing to me. It really wreaks of LIV.

It's a shame because I think the course actually sets up for great golf - tough front you have to slog through but a very scoreable back with some great risk, reward shots (tee shot and approach on 15, tee shot on 17) and a good finisher on 18. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I think the breaks in play due to the weather - including a long break between rounds on the same day - are as much responsible for things getting this out of control. With no golf to watch there wasn't anything else to do but get even more wasted.

It also didn't help that this occurred on the Saturday which is the rowdiest day of the tournament. ASU students arrive in the morning already drunk out of their minds. 

ASU students are not the idiots out there 

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I'm certainly not alone in my opinion, see Jay Monahan story above. When top brass wants to can a long running, high revenue, high visibility stop on tour, things have gone way south.

We all can agree, watching golf is a niche thing. This is their attempt to make it for everyone and for those of us in that niche, I think it sucks. Hearing the fans constantly mouth off stupid shit repeatedly (way more so than usual) and then watching players have to react, sometimes aggressively, is not appealing to me. It really wreaks of LIV.

It's a shame because I think the course actually sets up for great golf - tough front you have to slog through but a very scoreable back with some great risk, reward shots (tee shot and approach on 15, tee shot on 17) and a good finisher on 18. 

Professional golfers are self important pussies if they get upset about noise while making a shot. 

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

You might want to check that source…

(hint: fake news)

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Professional golfers are self important pussies if they get upset about noise while making a shot. 

It's their livelihood and their caddie's livelihood. Not all of them are top 50 in the world, making dozens of cuts and getting paid each week. A lot of them are struggling to cover their costs, particularly caddies. So ya, I get it if they get pissed if some drunk moron in the desert thinks he's more clever than he actually is.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

It's their livelihood and their caddie's livelihood. Not all of them are top 50 in the world, making dozens of cuts and getting paid each week. A lot of them are struggling to cover their costs, particularly caddies. So ya, I get it if they get pissed if some drunk moron in the desert thinks he's more clever than he actually is.

Basketball players don’t require silence when shooting free throws and kickers don’t require tranquility for a game winning field goal. Yet professional golfers are delicate little flowers who can’t tune out noise.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Basketball players don’t require silence when shooting free throws and kickers don’t require tranquility for a game winning field goal. Yet professional golfers are delicate little flowers who can’t tune out noise.

Constant noise is much different. Plenty of athletes from those sports get into with fans they can hear closer to the action.

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Do you play golf? Have you attended a PGA event?

Shooting a FT and swinging a club are on entirely different planes. You're calm and loose during the entire sequence of a FT. Golf swings are tense and torquey. 

FT have a significant margin for error. Golf swings do not. 1 degree of swing plane or face angle is the difference between flush and fat, green and OB, draw and hook... Getting startled, even slightly, is enough to cause that. 

You also get far more "startling" noises on a golf course because it's generally quiet compared to a basketball game. As stated above, constant noise isn't an issue. They're all teeing off with roars in the background, airplanes flying above. That's not the issue. The dumbass on their phone or just being a belligerent drunk are the issue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

Do you play golf? Have you attended a PGA event?

Shooting a FT and swinging a club are on entirely different planes. You're calm and loose during the entire sequence of a FT. Golf swings are tense and torquey. 

FT have a significant margin for error. Golf swings do not. 1 degree of swing plane or face angle is the difference between flush and fat, green and OB, draw and hook... Getting startled, even slightly, is enough to cause that. 

You also get far more "startling" noises on a golf course because it's generally quiet compared to a basketball game. As stated above, constant noise isn't an issue. They're all teeing off with roars in the background, airplanes flying above. That's not the issue. The dumbass on their phone or just being a belligerent drunk are the issue. 

I do and I have. I lived in PHX for 20 years and attended the PHX Open many times. It’s a blast, especially if you can get an invite to a Skybox on the 16th. If you’re an elite athlete you should be able to adapt to your environment. The guys that do the best at the PHX Open are the ones who embrace the environment and don’t let it get under their skin. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, royiv said:

I would love to stand in front of you while you’re on an important business call screaming BABALOOWY!!!! constantly and see how you like it. 

• Haha 3

Just now, TonyTexas said:

I would love to stand in front of you while you’re on an important business call screaming BABALOOWY!!!! constantly and see how you like it. 

I would be more annoyed by that instead of you yelling Baba Booey.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I do and I have. I lived in PHX for 20 years and attended the PHX Open many times. It’s a blast, especially if you can get an invite to a Skybox on the 16th. If you’re an elite athlete you should be able to adapt to your environment. The guys that do the best at the PHX Open are the ones who embrace the environment and don’t let it get under their skin. 

No golfer on the planet can handle yells or spikes of noise during their swing, not even Tiger (who had the most epic swing brake I've ever seen and he had to use it often because of this). Elite athlete has nothing to do with it. Unless you want to contend that these guys aren't "elite athletes". 

2 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

No golfer on the planet can handle yells or spikes of noise during their swing, not even Tiger (who had the most epic swing brake I've ever seen and he had to use it often because of this). Elite athlete has nothing to do with it. Unless you want to contend that these guys aren't "elite athletes". 

Okay, they’re not elite athletes. Plenty of other athlete handle distractions just fine.

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, royiv said:

16 hours ago, royiv said:

Okay, they’re not elite athletes. Plenty of other athlete handle distractions just fine.

Please let us know when we can see you in your next PGA tournament. With as much shit talking that you do, I'd expect to see you on tour calling the other players pussy for not being able to tolerate douchebags yelling in your backswing. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

There was a thread on r/Golf comparing WM Phoenix Open to the late 90s and early 2000s Byron Nelson Pavilion tent. TLDR the Byron Nelson and particularly the Pavilion was a party scene which turned into a shitshow. Partly from the backlash and players dropping out, the Byron Nelson has become a shit tourney.

Will the WM Phoenix Open follow the same history? Will this weekends shitshow be the first nail in the coffin?

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

There was a thread on r/Golf comparing WM Phoenix Open to the late 90s and early 2000s Byron Nelson Pavilion tent. TLDR the Byron Nelson and particularly the Pavilion was a party scene which turned into a shitshow. Partly from the backlash and players dropping out, the Byron Nelson has become a shit tourney.

Will the WM Phoenix Open follow the same history? Will this weekends shitshow be the first nail in the coffin?

The fields seemed to get weaker after Byron died too. 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Tiger hits a beautiful cut shot on 10 and hits the middle of the green, rolls into bunker, against the lip, now he makes bogey. Any hole that punishes a good shot fucking sucks.

I think that's the beauty of that hole - hitting at the hole is a bad shot. I can almost guarantee Tiger did not intend that line and he knew what was coming.

If you want to go for that green, you have to hit a cut and enter from the left. It takes an inch perfect shot to have a putt at eagle which is how a short par 4 should be. I think 10 is one of my favorite holes, at least from a spectator's standpoint. 

Just saw that this is not a no-cut event, top 50 plus anyone within 10 strokes, maybe the Friday excitement will be if Tiger has to grind today to make the cut?
Not that the broadcasters would hype on that.

Jason Day at -10, that would make the cut at even which right now is 53 players. Interesting, I think it is like the Masters. 

Edited by Wally Fairway

On 2/15/2024 at 1:56 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Tiger hits a beautiful cut shot on 10 and hits the middle of the green, rolls into bunker, against the lip, now he makes bogey. Any hole that punishes a good shot fucking sucks.

You never hear the pros complain about Riviera. They fucking love that course.