2024 Weight Loss/Exercise Thread

1 hour ago, BTW said:

I crossed the halfway mark on the fast this morning.  Everything I've heard and read says the cravings and discomfort is supposed to peak between day 2 and 3.  Being in day 4, I can say that while it's still not 'easy' today has been way better than yesterday which was better than Tuesday which was absolutely miserable.  I've also cut out caffeine today (I was allowing myself black coffee and unsweet tea for the first 3 days) and I've gone to strictly water.  Surprisingly, I haven't had any headaches yet today.

I've decided this is the hardest thing I've ever tried health-wise.  Prior to this, that distinction was held by the marathon I ran in 2010 ... this is harder.  This morning I was down 9 lbs since Sunday night, but I recognize that probably 2/3 of that is water that will come right back once I start eating again. I'm hoping for 6-7 lbs of actual weight loss by the end of this, but I guess we'll see.

If your daily maintenance caloric needs were 1900 and you don’t eat for 7 days my guess is 4 lbs seems more likely. 

Friday morning pre gym weigh-in at 194. Down 7 lbs since 1/2. 

I know losing those first 5 lbs or so is the easy part and it becomes more of a grind from here, but feeling good about getting down to 190 by end of January. Scheduled cheat day tomorrow, which I'm both looking forward to (having fun with friends/coworkers and eating really good food) and dreading (being hungover on Sunday).

Once Dry January ends, I think I'm gonna try and keep the lifestyle changes half-ass going through the end of February. No booze or unhealthy food absent a valid reason Monday-Friday. Free reign to enjoy but not overdo it from Saturday afternoon through dinnertime on Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 1

I ended up cutting off the fast Saturday for dinner after 6 full days.  I was down 11.5 lbs overall and after eating normally for a couple of days I'm still down 6lbs from where I was when I started.  All in all it was an interesting experience, but not one I'm in a hurry to repeat.  The one thing I can say is that it really did help me get used to feeling hungry all the time. So far it has been much easier to tell myself "Okay that's enough food" and just stop eating before I arrive at feeling "Full".  I have 10 more lbs of real weight I'm trying to shed and if I can pace at a pound a week, I should be there by the first of April.

• Hook 'Em 3

I ended up cutting off the fast Saturday for dinner after 6 full days.  I was down 11.5 lbs overall and after eating normally for a couple of days I'm still down 6lbs from where I was when I started.  All in all it was an interesting experience, but not one I'm in a hurry to repeat.  The one thing I can say is that it really did help me get used to feeling hungry all the time. So far it has been much easier to tell myself "Okay that's enough food" and just stop eating before I arrive at feeling "Full".  I have 10 more lbs of real weight I'm trying to shed and if I can pace at a pound a week, I should be there by the first of April.

Slow and steady wins the race. Keep it up!
  • Hook 'Em 1

I weigh 250# this morning in shorts/ t-shirt.

Incorporating exercise soon, probably next week; in the form of peloton.

Goal is to be at or below 200 balance of year.

It doesn't feel great on my knees but I just realized I can do a full depth bodyweight squat. Like my damn hamstrings touching my calves. 3 years ago that angle was probably 110 degrees. I'm still falling apart at 46, but the work with the trainer and his guidance on shit my joints will allow me to do has really made a huge difference. Sorry for the humblebrag. It's been a rough week and I need to go to bed tonight feeling happy about where I'm at physically. A coworker (49) told me today that he had a heart jerk last week. He runs 30 miles a week, eats perfect, doesn't drink or smoke. 6'0, 173. Between that and the Warriors assistant coach keeling over at 46 and I'm going to keep making changes in a positive direction.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

It doesn't feel great on my knees but I just realized I can do a full depth bodyweight squat. Like my damn hamstrings touching my calves. 3 years ago that angle was probably 110 degrees. I'm still falling apart at 46, but the work with the trainer and his guidance on shit my joints will allow me to do has really made a huge difference. Sorry for the humblebrag. It's been a rough week and I need to go to bed tonight feeling happy about where I'm at physically. A coworker (49) told me today that he had a heart jerk last week. He runs 30 miles a week, eats perfect, doesn't drink or smoke. 6'0, 173. Between that and the Warriors assistant coach keeling over at 46 and I'm going to keep making changes in a positive direction.

Um, what is a “heart jerk”?

Sales guy that worked for my wife died of a massive heart attack before Christmas. He was 45. He ate well, ran marathons and seemed to be in great health. Tell your co-worker to get into his docs office for stress tests, etc.

48 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Sales guy that worked for my wife died of a massive heart attack before Christmas. He was 45. He ate well, ran marathons and seemed to be in great health. Tell your co-worker to get into his docs office for stress tests, etc.

It was his blood pressure. Genetic. He started on meds and they're already working. I need to get my ass to the doctor. I'm an only go when something is wrong guy. I'm really scared of what they're going to tell me and I have been for a good 15 years so I don't go. I guess the alternative is worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Yeah, on the eve of 50, my numbers look pretty good right now. Blood pressure on the high side of normal, but still solid, and my cholesterol and other blood scores are really good.

But I have some heart issues on both sides of the family. My dad’s brother had a pacemaker installed in his 60s and died about 5 years ago from complications caused by an infection. My mom’s dad died when she was a junior in high school, though my uncle believes that was the byproduct of rheumatic fever when he was a child.

And my mom’s brother was a marathon runner with a fairly healthy diet who one day in his late 50s noticed he was getting more winded after long runs, so he went to see his doctor to find out what’s up. A couple weeks later he gets a triple bypass.

Knowing this history, I got a CT scan about 4-5 years ago and the score was 0, so good, but apparently a CT scan can provide only so much information, and I need to see a cardiologist to get the whole enchilada.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

Total Body Scan can see things bloodwork and EKG’s don’t. It’s not cheap ($700)and not typically covered by insurance, but it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

A coworker had one done after another fairly healthy coworker dropped dead at 49. They found a 95% occlusion of his LAD, also known as the widowmaker. He was in the cath lab that day. Dude was 41 at the time and by all measure very healthy. I’m going for mine in May. If you’re in the DFW area, ViaScan of Las Colinas is where you want to go.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:04 AM, Baboontyme said:

It was his blood pressure. Genetic. He started on meds and they're already working. I need to get my ass to the doctor. I'm an only go when something is wrong guy. I'm really scared of what they're going to tell me and I have been for a good 15 years so I don't go. I guess the alternative is worse. 

I did that for years and years.  You know this, but it s a fucking huuuuuuuge weight off once you get those sorted, or at least controlled.

55 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Today is a milestone for me.  Since about July 2021, I'm down 50 lbs.  Since early August 2023, I'm down 30 lbs.  For the first time since 2014, I'm under 200 lbs (just).  This isn't the endzone, but it's a good day.  

Pretty impressive considering your excellent offerings in the food threads during that time.  Keep it up, amigo!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Pretty impressive considering your excellent offerings in the food threads during that time.  Keep it up, amigo!

Thanks.  I will treat myself on the weekends.  Lately, there hasn't been much rice in the gumbo though.  Lots of salads for lunch during the week.  Oatmeal, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast.  I don't mind that if I can enjoy a burger for lunch on Friday and some other good stuff on Saturday and Sunday.  After the burger I had for lunch today, I'll likely get to pass this milestone again in a day or two. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

Today is a milestone for me.  Since about July 2021, I'm down 50 lbs.  Since early August 2023, I'm down 30 lbs.  For the first time since 2014, I'm under 200 lbs (just).  This isn't the endzone, but it's a good day.  

Well congrats, nothing like seeing your long lost buddy, the number one, leading off on the scale.
  • Haha 1

Just got labs today, which coincide with the end of Dry January.  So the liver numbers are tippy-top.  These are the first labs I've had since before I quit Ozempic and, subsequently, got serious about my diet and lost an additional 31 lbs (as of today) and counting.  I'm on a 3x per week minimum dose statin (bad genetics), but holy cow my cholesterol numbers are stupid low (for me).  Total 137.  HDL 47. LDLc 79.  Triglycerides. 60

WBC and Neutrophils were a bit under range, which might just be a glitch or resultant from a lot of weight loss.  Will talk to the doc about it, but I'm not too concerned at this point.

Anyway, I'm not down to where I think I ought to be, but this is encouraging.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Just got labs today, which coincide with the end of Dry January.  So the liver numbers are tippy-top.  These are the first labs I've had since before I quit Ozempic and, subsequently, got serious about my diet and lost an additional 31 lbs (as of today) and counting.  I'm on a 3x per week minimum dose statin (bad genetics), but holy cow my cholesterol numbers are stupid low (for me).  Total 137.  HDL 47. LDLc 79.  Triglycerides. 60

WBC and Neutrophils were a bit under range, which might just be a glitch or resultant from a lot of weight loss.  Will talk to the doc about it, but I'm not too concerned at this point.

What do you think about the use of Ozempic for people who are only moderately over weight?  I’m hearing about some women I know that I don’t really consider having a weight problem using Ozempic.  I thought it was for people who are more in the obese range.  You seem to be the exception, which is good, but I read somewhere that most people gain the weight back after stopping Ozempic. 

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Great news!  No better way than to celebrate with a burger and getting shitfaced.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

What do you think about the use of Ozempic for people who are only moderately over weight?  I’m hearing about some women I know that I don’t really consider having a weight problem using Ozempic.  I thought it was for people who are more in the obese range.  You seem to be the exception, which is good, but I read somewhere that most people gain the weight back after stopping Ozempic. 

This won't be a short answer, but here is my anecdotal experience with Ozempic:

After I had surgery for a torn biceps tendon, I put on a lot of weight and was having a hard time taking it off.  I got up to 249 lbs (I'm 5'10).  A friend was taking Ozempic and had good initial results.  So I gave it a try.  I got down to 229 without really having to change my lifestyle too much.  Initially, eating too much was kind of uncomfortable, but like with most things, you get used to it.  I stayed on the lowest dose for over a year and didn't lose or gain weight after that initial weight loss.  After a while, my doc asked if I wanted to bump the dose.  I said sure.  I lost and put on the same 3--5 lbs over and over, but did not see the dramatic results I saw the first time.  And I really wasn't excited about adding more medication.  I only did it the first time to jump start the process.  But I chalked the inability to lose weight up to my getting older, etc.

In August 2023, after about 3 months or so at the new dosage (1 ml), I developed a case of intractable hiccups.  Well, mostly intractable.  I would have really bad hiccups for 3 hours.  I'd finally coax them away for an hour, only to have them return again.  I found a sure fire way to get rid of them around bedtime and could sleep through the night, which enabled me to keep my sanity.  We tried thorazine to get rid of them, but even with an upped dosage, it wouldn't touch them.  It made me feel so shitty, I quit taking it.  After that, I decided (and my doc concurred) to discontinue Ozempic for the time being.  I'd suspected it since the beginning, but didn't quit it right away.  So that was the plan, but I'd just taken a shot two days before.  So it had to work its way out of my system, and the hiccups persisted.  I'm absolutely fucking miserable at this point. 

On my twentieth trip through Google, I finally stumbled onto a Reddit where people were talking about intractable hiccups with Ozempic.  At the bottom of the feed, some guy posted a long story about having it so bad, he ended up in the ER.  I was interested, especially since I'd had a couple of bouts that felt like I couldn't breathe.  He said that on a lark, he took a couple of acidophilus  tablets and, within hours, his hiccups resolved.  He theorized that the slowing of food through the stomach that Ozempic promotes eventually wreaks enough havoc on the gut microbiome that hiccups result.  I figured it was worth trying and left work to hunt some down.  I took two (about 1M cultures; not a lot really), and within a couple of hours, things subsided.  I took two before bead and two the next morning.  By the next day, I think I may have had one last gasp of hiccups that I knocked out by holding my breath within a few minutes.  They haven't recurred.  I now take 2 Billion cultures in the morning and another 2 Billion before bed.  

That was an entire week dealing with hiccups.  

So I asked the doc at the time how long should I stay off the stuff, and he said don't take it again until after we talk at your appointment in January.  As you mentioned, most people put the weight back on when they stop taking Ozempic.  I was determined not to let that happen.  So I planned to really eat well during the week to see if I could stay even at 229 lbs (where I was at the time).  So on weekday morning, I eat overnight oats for breakfast (milk, yogurt, 1/4 cup oatmeal, peanut butter, walnuts, fruit, honey).  For lunch, I eat a prepackaged, individual salad, to which I add chicken, tomatoes, olives, banana peppers, and Greek dressing.  I try not to go too carb heavy at dinner, but I am less restrictive at this meal.  Weekends are whatever, but if I don't have anything that looks really good for lunch, I'll grab a salad.  

So, what's my opinion of Ozempic?  I don't see myself taking it again.  It's great for initial weight loss and not bad to take.  But after that initial drop, it takes a much higher dosage to keep seeing results, and, for me, the ultimate side effects, were not something I ever want to repeat.  My wife stopped taking it for different reasons and also managed to lose a lot of weight without it (probably didn't hurt that there were lots of salads lying around, but she doesn't really eat badly to begin with).  She mentioned she might give it another go since what she was experiencing wasn't related.

Also, I'll note that the entire time I was taking it, one of my thyroid labs read low.  Not terrible, but worrisome since thyroid cancer is listed as a risk.  Now that I'm off it, that lab is back to normal.

Best advice I can give is that if you do decide to take it, take a probiotic daily along with it.

Also, I learned a 100% effective way to get rid of the hiccups under ordinary circumstances, which isn't worthless.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Also, I learned a 100% effective way to get rid of the hiccups under ordinary circumstances, which isn't worthless.

aw man, i can't recommend these hicc away's enough for hiccups - https://hiccaway.com/

HiccAway can instantly stop hiccups by generating enough pressure while sipping from the device to lower the diaphragm while simultaneously activating the leaf-shaped flap in the throat, known as the epiglottis.

Doing this stimulates two key nerves, the phrenic and the vagus nerves, which are responsible for the hiccups. This allows the brain to reset and stop hiccups. It may sound complicated, but HiccAway will do all the work to get rid of hiccups. All you need to do is sip some water and witness instant hiccup relief!

sounds like a different base issue than what you have, so may not work the same way BUT they are great. they look ridiculous but they have a 100% success rate for wife and i over the last year or so

04_SizeAndSafety.png

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

aw man, i can't recommend these hicc away's enough for hiccups - https://hiccaway.com/

sounds like a different base issue than what you have, so may not work the same way BUT they are great. they look ridiculous but they have a 100% success rate for wife and i over the last year or so

04_SizeAndSafety.png

That's cool.  I haven't see those before.  They probably work better than my method during business hours.  

Having said that,  my way is free, more fun, and if you have good technique, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.  You can employ the technique yourself or have your wife give you a hand.

Have you figured out what my technique is yet? 

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 2

I haven't been on this thread, although I do read it now and again. But the commentary regarding fasting ended up becoming useful. The past week and a half I had developed a gastro issue, something that is rare for me, other than the occasional tummy bug that the kids would bring home. We don't eat out much so I had only ever had food poisoning (salmonella) once many years ago, so I was a little concerned to have suddenly developed extremely painful abdominal cramping and acute (and I mean acute) diarrhea. No vomiting, just the other end. It was going into the weekend so I drank water and spouse insisted on mixing up powdered Gatorade so I drank that too, alternating. Three days in and he suggested a probiotic drink which I tried. That was a big nope which I paid for the rest of the day. After five days of liquids and taking sick days, managed to get in to a PA since my PCP was out and the convenient care affiliated with our insurance was full of flu and COVID patients and it seemed like maybe they needed more immediate care than I did, although I was getting pretty darn weak. But you're right, after awhile, you don't feel hungry so much. The amount of weight loss triggered their system (from my last visit) so now I get to provide a lovely sample and await the results. Hopefully the organs will be okay, but I'm beginning to think I didn't wash the lettuce I got from HEB as thoroughly as I could've (I have a salad for lunch daily) and I picked up a case of e-coli.

Would not recommend for weight loss. But fasting, if only clear liquids counts, does affect one's weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

On to a new month. Weighed in at 193 this morning. Ended January 8 lbs lighter than I started.

Although I didn't drop double digits or get below 190, it was a good month. Worked out probably more than I ever have in a single calendar month. Counted it up and I went to the gym 24 times in January, and then did other outdoorsy stuff like taking my dogs for a long walk or riding my bike another 4-5 days. Only 3 days the entire month I didn't exercise at all. After the work I put in last year and upping the intensity this past month, this is easily the most muscle mass I've had in well over a decade.

Gotta keep at it. Although not going to be as strict as January, planning to keep up the 6 days/week workout schedule and continue to try and avoid drinking during the week without a good reason. Also, got in a much better habit of bringing healthy lunches to work instead of eating out 3-4 times a week. 

Next goalpost is sub-190 by 40th birthday in early March. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

After the work I put in last year and upping the intensity this past month, this is easily the most muscle mass I've had in well over a decade.

Good for you.  When I got my ass back in the gym about 8 or so years ago in my early 40s, I found that I put on a lot of muscle mass in a hurry.  I've stuck with it, but plateaued a while back, partly because I've read it gets harder to add and retain lean muscle mass as you age, but also because I've found a comfort level with my routine, focusing more on correct form, higher reps, and short rest between sets, and not trying to lift more weight and add bulk.  Basically, still trying to look good for my bride-to-be, but also not injuring myself.    

So, lab results in and not e.coli but cryptosporidium and the lettuce was the likely culprit. Ugh. But glad to know it wasn't something more serious. We wash our lettuce but will now be extra cautious about just how vigorous we do so. Will continue to eat healthy and exercise and I guess the extra weight loss will go down in the books as not a bad thing but I wouldn't recommend an intestinal parasite as the way to go about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the cardiologist discussion above, I would highly recommend seeing a good one. I go twice a year and do a full work up annually including stress tests, CT’s, etc. He’s been able to keep an eye on some issues and make changes along the way.

I have to find a trainer going forward I think. After another elbow surgery and with knee surgeries in my future I can’t find a work out regimen that works for me. I dropped 40 pounds quickly after getting my heart issues resolved, but I’m bouncing around 255 now and can’t get consistent enough workouts in to be meaningful. Was down the month of January after this last elbow procedure that is probably going to cause long term pain/soreness, so I’m not really looking forward to restarting. Going to get back into yoga to try to increase flexibility/elasticity some to start with. 

Getting old sucks, especially when it kicks in during your esrly/mid 40’s.

Finally hit 245, lowest weight since I was in college.  I feel like I should be able to do everything I want now, and feel better than I have in forever.  I can do pull-ups, bench my own body weight, and my resting HR is around  50 bpm, which isn’t where it was in college (mid 30s) but pretty good.  

The final push was going right off sugar after new years.  That shit is worse than anything else including alcohol.

I have noticed, when I drink a glass of wine, I tend to sleep a lot worse.  Maybe I’ll stick to day drinking only, or just skip the wine except for special occasions.  

I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago and she was pretty happy with me, she said she doesn’t have many 50 yo patients on no medications at all.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Started ozempic last week. So this stuff works by giving you heart burn all the time to make you not want to eat?  That seems to be my experience so far. I’ve read that goes away though so we shall see. Whether placebo or not I am snacking and binge eating less.  We went to a Mexican restaurant last night, i did start with a (one, only) margarita and chips, but didn’t eat nearly as many chips and might as well have not ordered any food because I felt uncomfortably full by the time it got there. A tiny - very tiny - slice of what @UTPhil2006 ‘s life.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:53 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Started ozempic last week. So this stuff works by giving you heart burn all the time to make you not want to eat?  That seems to be my experience so far. I’ve read that goes away though so we shall see. Whether placebo or not I am snacking and binge eating less.  We went to a Mexican restaurant last night, i did start with a (one, only) margarita and chips, but didn’t eat nearly as many chips and might as well have not ordered any food because I felt uncomfortably full by the time it got there. A tiny - very tiny - slice of what @UTPhil2006 ‘s life.  

Heartburn was par for the course with Ozempic for me.  It was worse when I drank for sure.  But when I had a few beers, it was like it turned Ozempic off as far as my not wanting to eat.  I used to keep a big container of TUMS by the bed in case I work up with reflux in the middle of the night.  I'd bought one shortly before going off Ozempic and I probably haven't taken 4 TUMS in the last six months.  Hopefully, for you, it goes away.  The honeymoon period (first few months) with 0.5 mg of Ozempic per week was the most weight I lost on it (approx. 25 lbs).  If you can make dietary lifestyle changes along with it, I think you'll have even more success.  Good luck.

Will try here instead of starting another thread.

Can anyone recommend a solid budget rucking pack?  I'm really just looking for a solid plate holder system pack that holds only plates or other weight system, but I'd also look for a relatively small pack that have removable plates that I can use to store a few things if I wanted to use it as a small day pack.  But really, would be happy with just a plate system that can hold a phone and wallet. 

I do lots of walking and may as well put some weight on it.  I've had some back issues so I want to start with relatively light weights.

Goruck just seems a bit pricey, both for packs and plates.

Well, my goal for 2024 was 9 million steps. I was doing 30k steps a day through almost all of January. Hell, maybe I can actually do this. Then on the 29th my GF’s replacement kidney said, “Nah, we’re done here.”

So for about 2.5 weeks I’ve just been slogging through just trying to make it to the next day. Her best friend called today to see what’s up and we talked awhile and I told her I wasn’t walking much. She said, basically, “Of all the things she wouldn’t shut up about regarding you, the thing she wouldn’t shut up the most about was that you walked if Texas was frozen and without power, you walked when it was 110°, you walked when it rained, you walked when you didn’t feel like it. She was so proud that your determination kept you going that it kept her going, too. She’d be so disappointed that she’s the thing that stopped you.”

Can you hear the Rocky music of whichever of those movies you liked the best? I basically could. After we hung up I went and walked for real. Then after dinner. Ended up with 19.2 miles and 33k steps. Hell, maybe I can actually do this. 

IMG_0326.png

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Day 4 into intermittent fasting. It does not suck as much as I expected.

I've always been nonchalant when it comes to breakfast, but had a bad habit of snacking after 10PM. I've been going to bed earlier (side benefit) so not eating between 8PM to the following noon isn't as hard as I expected.

I want to get back to my 2015 weight when my son was born. It's just 5-7 pounds, but with my workload lately, it's easier to achieve weight loss through diet rather than working out.

I might as well chime in this year.  This ended up being be a sort of a longcat, but I don't visit this thread often:

Started the year 225 with a Halloween goal of 205.  I know that it doesn't sound like much, but I'm also trying to gain around 20 lbs of muscle in that time, so I'm really trying to cut closer to 40 lbs of bad weight.  See below's response to Brew for a full picture, but I'm trying to regain some not-insignificant, long-lost upper body strength

No drugs. CICO/WFMM diet, which for me means cutting carbs (mostly in the form of snacks and binge meals), while just all-around eating cleaner foods.  I cook 90% of my own meals, so mostly replacing rice and pasta with veggies.

Stress and sleep end up being my weaknesses more than anything.  I use caffeine (either plain old coffee or GTE/Vit B) in the morning to help with sleep cycle.

Light strength training with walks/runs/bikes around the neighborhood for exercise.  My boy's spring soccer is about to start and it'll give me 2 days/week for more structured cardio when that happens.  I'm terribly inconsistent about exercising. With 4 kids and a salaried desk job, I basically just try to take advantage of what I get. 

I'm currently below 217, with essentially no strength or muscle gains (or losses for that matter).

On 2/3/2024 at 9:37 AM, Brew said:

I have to find a trainer going forward I think. After another elbow surgery and with knee surgeries in my future I can’t find a work out regimen that works for me. I dropped 40 pounds quickly after getting my heart issues resolved, but I’m bouncing around 255 now and can’t get consistent enough workouts in to be meaningful. Was down the month of January after this last elbow procedure that is probably going to cause long term pain/soreness, so I’m not really looking forward to restarting. Going to get back into yoga to try to increase flexibility/elasticity some to start with. 

I'm closing in on a decade past 4 elbow surgeries followed by months of PT.  Without knowing your exact situation, my only advice is to listen to your body. Figure out what's painful in a good way vs painful in a bad way - if that makes sense.  Know your limits, do what you can, and eventually you'll be able to add more.  And I'll add that patience really helps and that, for general health, walking is underrated.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, South Austin said:

There are a million different weight routines out there, and they largely depend on your goals and age. I do a simple “push-leg-pull” routine, working in a rest day somewhere and following the cycle with a day of cardio.

The bottom line is that at our age you need to leave your ego at the door, and focus heavily on form with lighter weight and higher reps. Who gives a shit how much a 40-something or 50-something is lifting. And stretch a ton, especially your shoulder joints.

Can confirm on this. I've been focusing pretty hard on going more for more reps and fewer sets to hit the target number of reps rather than trying to push personal bests since I started back up and it's had some pretty solid results. Pure strength will come as well to an extent as we go but it's not going to be anything like the rapid progress we'd have seen when we were in our 20s, and that's not what we should be going for anyway.

I started up getting serious about it rather than just dicking around on my rowing machine (which, TBH, is still pretty great) around the start of CFB season last year and went from ~240 to 208.5 as of my weigh-in earlier this week. That blew past what I had initially set as my target for the one year mark (215) in about 7 months, so debating if I should try to chase down my weight from when I swam this year, though I'll probably have a hell of a time hitting it (185).

I’ll jump in this thread. I’m mid 40s and my A1C got me scared. Before getting another medication to manage it, I thought I’d actually make an effort on changing my food and workout.  At my highest I was 230lb. 

My first steps were to stop sugar sweat tea and Dr.P as my source or hydration and switched to splenda sweetened tea and Flavored sparkling water. I switched cereal from kids crap to cheerios. I switched candy snacks to granola bars. 
I used LoseIt to count calories and restarted using my stationary recumbent bike to burn some calories (30min 4-5x/ week. And I made an appointment with a nutritionist.

There was a two month delay between making the appointment and having the appointment.  During that time I lost 20 lb.  I thought I was doing great. 

then the nutritionist took a look at my food bible and made three quick points:

I eat too early in the day. I needed to wait until 12 hours after dinner to eat breakfast.

I cannot have cereal for breakfast like I had since I was 5.  Eggs and Fruit. 

I cannot have artificially sweetened drinks. I need water. Lots of water. 

so all three of my changes were crap changes. Hopefully these bring better results. 

she also directed me to some good recipes and added more vegetables  to my routine.  
Outside of dietary changes she suggested I add weight training, especially the larger muscles in my legs.

I now work out 6 days a week with some form of weight training on 3 to 4 of those days.  

since then I have lost another 20 lb and should be going back to the doc for an A1C check soon. Fingers crossed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Down 18 now since 1/2. Not keeping any beer in the house has probably saved me 1,500 calories a week. I’ve been using the free version of MyNetDiary, which has been good for grading the stuff I eat and counting calories. Nine more lbs to my goal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Not keeping any beer in the house has probably saved me 1,500 calories a week. 

At my age (49), it's not just the empty calories; alcohol also really slows down metabolism and fucks with digestion, leading your body to store more calorie consumption as fat.  I've tried to be a moderate drinker for the most part over the past 10 years or so, not drinking during the week and limiting my alcohol intake to the weekends.  But I've noticed more over the last couple years that any noticeable weight fluctuations are usually tied to heavier drinking (e.g., Longhorn football season, holidays).

New month: down about 10 lbs and 2-1/2" off my waist YTD. I'm bigger across the shoulders, arms, and thighs, so hopefully I'm also gaining some lean mass.  Chest hasn't moved, but I carry a decent sheet of extra weight on it (no moobs).

I have more energy than I have had in a long time.  And that started with the healthy eating moreso than losing any weight, but it's only improving.  I'm waking up earlier and less drowsy while not fading in the late afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 5

Finally found this thread.  Really started hitting it on 12/1 of last year but still had the holiday gluttony that everyone else did.  Some background, though.  I turn 50 this year and my fitness/working out has always went back and forth between working out a lot or not at all.  I had slowly floated up to 225ish and really need to be back around 200-205.  (I'm 6'0".)

Did two things:

1.  Started TRT (testosterone) after Thanksgiving.  (This was a game changer.)

2.  Started a workout regimen of heavy weights relative to cardio.  I've lost weight a few times in the past but it was always heavy cardio with some weights.  Being that I'm 50ish now, I figured I needed to add muscle.  I lift 3-4 times per week and only do cardio 2-3 times.  Turns out this was a game changer, too.  Added significant amount of muscle so far, which of course helps burn the fat.  Most of what I've read about fitness after 50 for both men and women says that cardio after a certain point is generally useless.  (Running 6 miles vs 3 miles is an example.  Three miles is fine.)  

3.  I started out with the same diet, which wasn't terrible to begin with.  However, not nearly enough food.  I was fucking starving by 10 am and again at 4 pm.  I was eating oatmeal for breakfast and soups and whatnot for lunch.  I was hungry literally all the time.  (Libido also took off but more on that in point #4.)  I switched to a high protein/low carb diet.  Breakfast is now 3 eggs scrambled and two pieces of thinly sliced skirt steak.  Lunch is rice and grilled chicken breast.  Dinner is still the same.  (Chickens, salads, steak of the weekend, etc.)  I'm now counting protein on most everything while not eliminating carbs, greatly reducing them.  This took care of the constant hunger and with the protein/carb mix, still losing fat while burning muscle.

4.  The libido took TF off.  Not quite like my teen years but mid 20's.  The TRT is a cheat code and I'd recommend it to anyone in their 40's and 50's.  The libido thing is a bit of a distraction sometimes but not nearly as much as the constant hunger.

I'm down now to about 210 but I've really leaned down and built muscle so I'm not really concerned about the weight so much.  I need to quit drinking like some have mentioned and I'm trying to do that, albeit struggling like some others.  First night or two are fine but after that, I get bored or something or just want a drink.  It's getting easier but still not easy, if that makes sense.

Good conversation here all around, though.  Sounds like we're in the same age and fitness bracket.  

Feel free to ask me questions about the TRT, though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2024 at 10:15 AM, South Austin said:

At my age (49), it's not just the empty calories; alcohol also really slows down metabolism and fucks with digestion, leading your body to store more calorie consumption as fat.  I've tried to be a moderate drinker for the most part over the past 10 years or so, not drinking during the week and limiting my alcohol intake to the weekends.  But I've noticed more over the last couple years that any noticeable weight fluctuations are usually tied to heavier drinking (e.g., Longhorn football season, holidays).

I quit drinking and lost about 50 pounds.  I knew I would lose some weight but I went from fat to almost high school.

• Hook 'Em 1