Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

50 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea you’re gonna have to take it up with cdc.  I think he has a no cheater and no wife beater rule that is apparently non negotiable.  

Ok can someone compare dean smith and bobby knight with Rodney please?

why would I take anything up with CDC?  dean smith/ bobby knight?  you have lost the plot.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

why would I take anything up with CDC?  dean smith/ bobby knight?  you have lost the plot.

We’ve been comparing him to every coach imaginable.   Why not those two. 

CDC seems allergic to coaches who have faced sanctions.   And who beat their wife

Edited by closetohumping

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We’ve been comparing him to every coach imaginable.   Why not those two. 

CDC seems allergic to coaches who have faced sanctions.   And who beat their wife

who is this we you are talking about?  I'm just pointing out Kansas, yes Kansas, kept their cheating coach who was investigated by the FBI after you said Will Wade got fired after being investigated by the FBI.

did i say that anyone said he was a great coach? was i not specifically addressing the countless posts stating that his mediocre 10 years at D-1 schools in multi-bid conferences didn’t reflect on him as a coach because other coaches didn’t win there as well? did i not specifically use the word “good” and the term “good coaches”? so yeah, like you said, literally nobody is talking about rodney terry and being “great”.
its very simple: if RT was a Texas level coach he would have showed as much during the decade in which he got his opportunity. in that decade he made one tourney appearance, never won his league, never won a tourney game, took a lateral move, and then took a downward move to becoming an assistant at Texas. name any coach in the history of college basketball who is both good enough to be the UT HC in 2024 and whose coaching record looks anything like RT’s. spoiler alert: there are none. coaches at this level win wherever they go, and their career trajectory goes upward, not stalled out, sideways, then downward.

Fair enough. You win.

I am now in alignment that if we had an open coaching search we wouldn’t have hired RT based on his history as a head coach prior to Texas.

If anyone disagrees, hopefully the two of you can argue it out in private messages. Cool? Can we move on now? Anyone else disagree?
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

eh, he didn't improve UTEP

They went 11-20 prior to him arriving.  His record there:

8-21

17-15

12-12

That's improvement.  Even considering Tim Floyd's last year (15-17), that's improvement.  Monumental?  No.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They went 11-20 prior to him arriving.  His record there:

8-21

17-15

12-12

That's improvement.  Even considering Tim Floyd's last year (15-17), that's improvement.  Monumental?  No.

3 seasons before Terry 45 wins

Terry 3 seasons 37 wins(4 games that might have been wins were cancelled)

3 seasons post Terry 52 wins

generously I'd say flat...

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

3 seasons before Terry 45 wins

Terry 3 seasons 37 wins(4 games that might have been wins were cancelled)

3 seasons post Terry 52 wins

generously I'd say flat...

It's a silly argument, but I'd say RT's first season is a wash with the previous year.  Prior to that, UTEP was sub-500.  After that, they were over 500.  Improvment.

Whatever, the point is he wasn't as bad as some would have us believe.  AGAIN, not Texas worthy, and I'm not arguing otherwise, but here comes the cavalry.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's a silly argument, but I'd say RT's first season is a wash with the previous year.  Prior to that, UTEP was sub-500.  After that, they were over 500.  Improvment.

Whatever, the point is he wasn't as bad as some would have us believe.  AGAIN, not Texas worthy, and I'm not arguing otherwise, but here comes the cavalry.

yeah it is silly.  he didn't improve UTEP.  but he's not a bad coach he's above average basically.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

all of the excuses for RT not winning/substantially improving fresno state and utep over a decade as a HC, and then there’s will wade out here doing this:

IMG_1352.thumb.jpeg.0f0a920bee18ff015dc053c650f14f12.jpeg

into:

IMG_1353.thumb.jpeg.b212ece6a4c109c04a0d050ecc611a9a.jpeg

with a career resume that looks like this:

IMG_1351.thumb.jpeg.0791f24e77c471cb67b5d1d71be996f5.jpeg

also here’s lsu the team before wade took over:

IMG_1354.thumb.jpeg.a42aff43506476623e551760757d7fdd.jpeg

good coaches win. they win early, they win often, and they win everywhere they go. no more excuses and rationalizing for RT. root for the team, support him while he’s here, but stop with the disingenuous defense of his body of work/projected future future success.

Was the transfer portal in use back then? If not then apples ton oranges. 

20 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Was the transfer portal in use back then? If not then apples ton oranges. 

ok, for will wade, but what about every single other good coach in america? especially those good enough for texas. we’ve already talked about plenty of them.

•dan hurley took over terrible programs at wagner and uri and immediately turned them around; then he got to uconn and won the national title and has them as the prohibitive favorite to repeat. 

•bill self won at oral roberts and tulsa before dominating at illinois and kansas

•nate oats was awesome at buffalo. how bad has buffalo since he left? they were #22 in kenpom his last year there, they are #348 this year.

•bruce pearl won at milwaukee, then tennessee, and now auburn 

•rick barnes won at providence, then clemson, then texas, and now tennessee

we could keep going all night. good college basketball coaches win everywhere they go, and then they climb the ladder. it’s what they do. i’m sure there are outliers, but 9/10 good college basketball HC’s are good HC’s everywhere they go for their entire careers. they don’t spend a decade doing nothing of note as a HC only to take a downward move in year 27 of their d-1 coaching career. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

National title buys a lot of equity rightfully.  But they’ve been bad since. 

Modern roster management isn't for guys like Tony Bennett.  I'm not sure it's for Tom Izzo, either, among others.

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

ok, for will wade, but what about every single other good coach in america? especially those good enough for texas. we’ve already talked about plenty of them.

•dan hurley took over terrible programs at wagner and uri and immediately turned them around; then he got to uconn and won the national title and has them as the prohibitive favorite to repeat. 

•bill self won at oral roberts and tulsa before dominating at illinois and kansas

•nate oats was awesome at buffalo. how bad has buffalo since he left? they were #22 in kenpom his last year there, they are #348 this year.

•bruce pearl won at milwaukee, then tennessee, and now auburn 

•rick barnes won at providence, then clemson, then texas, and now tennessee

we could keep going all night. good college basketball coaches win everywhere they go, and then they climb the ladder. it’s what they do. i’m sure there are outliers, but 9/10 good college basketball HC’s are good HC’s everywhere they go for their entire careers. they don’t spend a decade doing nothing of note as a HC only to take a downward move in year 27 of their d-1 coaching career. 

Will Wade and Bruce Pearl also ended up getting fired from SEC schools for cheating (and not winning enough to make the schools turn their backs on the cheating).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

wow, that’s surprising. something off the court? he’s been there two years, and they were much improved this year. 

IMG_1487.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Apparently they are going after a “big name”

I’ve seen Will Wade, Muss, Luntz, Kellen Sampson

@ztejas

Lanier was a fucking joke. Premier university in arguably the best recruiting grounds in the country and he couldn't win a game in the NIT his 2nd full season.

I don't want that guy anywhere near Texas' bench. 

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

wow, that’s surprising. something off the court?

No - I'm guessing they took a flier on him from the get-go and weren't paying him much so it was a no-brainer buyout. He obviously wasn't the guy.

Me and my buddies were texting last night and Pitino to SMU got floated a lot. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lanier was a fucking joke. Premier university in arguably the best recruiting grounds in the country and he couldn't win a game in the NIT his 2nd full season.

I don't want that guy anywhere near Texas' bench. 

I mean I wouldn’t want him as the HC but he’s a great assistant/recruiter

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I think Texas can do better on the bench. 

I also don't really stay plugged in to SMU stuff outside football season. Not sure if there's any rumblings about big names behind the scenes. 

Again, we (4 SMU grads) all thought last night that Pitino makes a lot of sense for both parties. Larry Brown already did well there/here.

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

when he left for florida texas got worse and florida won two titles. when he came back to texas the team instantly improved. he was especially adept at being the go-between for rick and his players. we all know how demanding and cold rick can be, and rob lanier was great at helping rick get his message across to individual players. he’s a great assistant coach, and the record(s) of texas and florida during his time there speaks to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

when he left for florida texas got worse and florida won two titles. when he came back to texas the team instantly improved. he was especially adept at being the go-between for rick and his players. we all know how demanding and cold rick can be, and rob lanier was great at helping rick get his message across to individual players. he’s a great assistant coach, and the record(s) of texas and florida during his time there speaks to that.

My only concern when I see "older" coaches' names bandied about is whether or not they can operate in the world of NIL.  (I have absolutely no reason to believe he would thrive or struggle in the modern roster landscape, it's just something I wonder about when we talk about previously successful coaches.)

It’s great that Texas won, but let’s not ignore the fact that Colorado State shot like crap most of the game, a bit of it due to good defense but mostly just missing shots. In addition, it was glaringly obvious that Texas was more talented, despite also shooting like crap for parts of the game. It was a very ugly game and Texas was fortunate Colorado played so poorly. I expect the Tennessee game to go very poorly. But if it doesn’t, that will certainly be a positive data point regarding Terry. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

He was at Florida almost 20 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s great that Texas won, but let’s not ignore the fact that Colorado State shot like crap most of the game, a bit of it due to good defense but mostly just missing shots. In addition, it was glaringly obvious that Texas was more talented, despite also shooting like crap for parts of the game. It was a very ugly game and Texas was fortunate Colorado played so poorly. I expect the Tennessee game to go very poorly. But if it doesn’t, that will certainly be a positive data point regarding Terry. 

CSU shot poorly because Texas forced them to shoot 3s which is their weakness. 

I don't know how this is a negative in the context of RT. It was a damn good defensive gameplan to keep CSU out of the paint (top 10 in 2P%) and force CSU to shoot 3s (#224 in 3P%). 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know how this is a negative in the context of RT.

Because if something good happens, it was because the other team had a bad night. Texas/RT can do right in many people’s eyes 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It took you over 12 hours to coalesce every stupid point from the game thread, here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2