Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

And in this particular instance your favorite money person was instrumental in Terry getting the job.

Okay.

All I can tell you is the basketball people I know were not excited about the whole circumstances surrounding Terry getting the job, but feel like he deserves a chance. Which he is getting. 

And then there are other people who are not money people who feel like this is a good example of why Texas will never be great in basketball. Because this wouldn't have happened in football, the argument goes. Which I don't agree with. If a situation analogous to what happened with Beard and Terry occurred in football, I think it would have been very difficult to make a change. Even in football. 

We just have to let it play out. Hopefully Terry ends up being a home run hire. 

Yeah let's trace out an analogous situation with football where Tom Herman goes on a bender and gets booked for beating his wife. Todd Orlando then leads us out of the desert to the College football playoffs. There's no doubt in my mind that we'd be sitting here looking towards year 4 of Todd Orlando's tenure at UT (provided he didnt completely shit the bed in the intervening years). And yes the elite 8 out of 350+ division 1 basketball teams is analogous to the CFP with 120+ teams. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

And in this particular instance your favorite money person was instrumental in Terry getting the job.

Okay.

All I can tell you is the basketball people I know were not excited about the whole circumstances surrounding Terry getting the job, but feel like he deserves a chance. Which he is getting. 

And then there are other people who are not money people who feel like this is a good example of why Texas will never be great in basketball. Because this wouldn't have happened in football, the argument goes. Which I don't agree with. If a situation analogous to what happened with Beard and Terry occurred in football, I think it would have been very difficult to make a change. Even in football. 

We just have to let it play out. Hopefully Terry ends up being a home run hire. 

oh, the basketball people "you know" in this particular instance...now I get it. OK.

I mainly tire of the constant re-whining that we hired him.  It is exhausting.  We all get it, Terry would have never been considered for the job under different circumstances.  Cool.  We all agree.  WE ALL AGREE.  But who cares, what is done is done.  He is our coach now and we can't go back in time.

So the question is, what do you think CDC should do NOW?  Should he really fire RT after the season we just had?  

• Hook 'Em 9

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i posted right away that there was nothing he could do- including a texas national title win- that would make me think that he was good enough to be our permanent HC. several others agreed with me.

you mean now that the season is over? because every single away game played after that incident was “Horns Down Night” at the opposing arena.

Opponents have been doing the horns down long before you were born. If I remember correctly and I may not, the horns down

stuff at BYU was stopped by their admin. RT didn't even know what happened.

RT's horns down comments aren't in the same universe as being as bad as Sark's "Don't F****N' touch me again MOTHERF****R" moment:

image.png.4f697199d910d17b564ede5f0811b51e.png

And nobody cares about that anymore at all.  

Turns out that winning gets you a lot of grace from the fanbase.  RT needs to win and win big.  Or he needs to go.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

RT's horns down comments aren't in the same universe as being as bad as Sark's "Don't F****N' touch me again MOTHERF****R" moment:

I totally forgot about that, which might go to your point that winning cures all.  Is there a video out there?

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I totally forgot about that, which might go to your point that winning cures all.  Is there a video out there?

I like my coaches with a little fire in them. Tbh, most of the time Sarkisian seems so relaxed. 

I remember Barry Switzer saying he had to pull back Mack Brown when he was an assistant at OU because he was too hard on the players. It often made me wistful. 

In any case, Terry ain't going anywhere this offseason at the very least. I refuse to be in a place where I do anything but hope for the best. I'm pleased with how the season turned out after the loss to UCF, given that I didn't think we were going to make the tournament. Let's see what happens this coming year with the SEC move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah let's trace out an analogous situation with football where Tom Herman goes on a bender and gets booked for beating his wife. Todd Orlando then leads us out of the desert to the College football playoffs. There's no doubt in my mind that we'd be sitting here looking towards year 4 of Todd Orlando's tenure at UT (provided he didnt completely shit the bed in the intervening years). And yes the elite 8 out of 350+ division 1 basketball teams is analogous to the CFP with 120+ teams. 

There is no doubt in my mind that you are completely wrong. Completely. 

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

If a situation analogous to what happened with Beard and Terry occurred in football, I think it would have been very difficult to make a change. Even in football. 

there is no analogous situation with football, because everything that RT did to “earn” the job came in the postseason. the football equivalent of RT replacing beard would see Texas go from a top 3 team in the polls with the most dominant defense in the country through three weeks (with Texas 3-0), only to see Texas finish 7-4 with one of the lesser defenses in the conference and a berth in the Texas Bowl. bye bye RT.

this is arguably the most frustrating thing about this- 99% of college basketball fans only care about the tourney, which makes up about 1% of the job of a cbb HC- assuming they even make it. on march 9th, 2023 everyone here was on board with the fact that RT wasn’t good enough and that we’d be hiring someone else to take over. three weeks later all of those same people all now believe that we HAVE to hire him, that he “deserves” it, that he’s “earned” it, all because chris beard’s between team played better during their last few weeks together as a team. the irony here is that you have to actually make the tourney for it to matter, and next year when we’re turning down an NIT bid and watching all of the coaches we could have had actually participating in the tourney, i wonder if those fans will still be feeling the same way about RT.

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah let's trace out an analogous situation with football where Tom Herman goes on a bender and gets booked for beating his wife. Todd Orlando then leads us out of the desert to the College football playoffs.

you have to have an outstanding regular season to get to the college football playoffs. in this analogy todd orlando took a top national title contender and dropped them out of the polls by the middle of conference play. maybe he then leads us to a 50-point win in the Texas Bowl, but that isn’t going to get him the job.

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

I mainly tire of the constant re-whining that we hired him.  It is exhausting.  We all get it, Terry would have never been considered for the job under different circumstances.  Cool.  We all agree.  WE ALL AGREE.  But who cares, what is done is done.  He is our coach now and we can't go back in time.

So the question is, what do you think CDC should do NOW?  Should he really fire RT after the season we just had?  

you get tired of this thread being used for its intended purpose yet you think the real question is “should we fire him now?” when literally no one is even talking about that? you’re doing the exact thing that you’re complaining about, just on the other end of the spectrum.

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

three weeks later all of those same people all now believe that we HAVE to hire him, that he “deserves” it, that he’s “earned” it, all because chris beard’s between team played better during their last few weeks together as a team. the irony here is that you have to actually make the tourney for it to matter, and next year when we’re turning down an NIT bid and watching all of the coaches we could have had actually participating in the tourney, i wonder if those fans will still be feeling the same way about RT.

WTF are you babbling about now?  You're convinced we're going to have to turn down an NIT bid next year?  Are you clairvoyant?  

Penders got fired after failing to make the tournament.

Barnes got fired after losing in the first round.

Smart got "fired" after losing in the first round.

RT led Texas to a first round victory THIS YEAR.

You have a terrible perspective on Texas basketball history.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

every time. you are literally incapable of being civil. you’re always raging. and you have zero self awareness. everything you whine about when it comes to me is merely projection. it’s truly a beating.

Dude, you simply have zero self-awareness.  Zero.  I'm so sorry I offended you with a "WTF?".

You are making no sense and you rarely do so.  This is a consensus.  Stop making this about me and start addressing my points like an adult (which you presumably  have been for over 20 years).

• Hook 'Em 3

yeah. you continue to be combative and insulting. why would anyone, anywhere want to engage in a discussion with someone who is literally always insulting, combative, and angry? it’s the exact behavior that you whine about me supposedly displaying. like i said, it’s a beating.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah. you continue to be combative and insulting. why would anyone, anywhere want to engage in a discussion with someone who is literally always insulting, combative, and angry? it’s the exact behavior that you whine about me supposedly displaying. like i said, it’s a beating.

Funny, if what you say is true, you'd think nobody, anywhere would engage in discussion with me.  But they do.  

"combative and insulting".  Talk about projection.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

you get tired of this thread being used for its intended purpose yet you think the real question is “should we fire him now?” when literally no one is even talking about that? you’re doing the exact thing that you’re complaining about, just on the other end of the spectrum.

This thread isn't titled "We shouldn't have hired Rodney Terry".  That is the conversation that I'm so exhausted from. 

The thread IS titled "Fire Rodney Terry" and that is the question I'm asking.  Is anyone proposing that we actually do what the thread is titled?  If not, then this thread should die. 

If you want to post about whether we should have hired him in the first place, then go ahead and start that thread and I can just avoid it.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

This thread isn't titled "We shouldn't have hired Rodney Terry".  That is the conversation that I'm so exhausted from. 

The thread IS titled "Fire Rodney Terry" and that is the question I'm asking.  Is anyone proposing that we actually do what the thread is titled?  If not, then this thread should die. 

If you want to post about whether we should have hired him in the first place, then go ahead and start that thread and I can just avoid it.

this is the thread where we people who are critical of RT and his hiring come to discuss that. “fire x” is just a standard thread title that is used every single time the fans start to question if the HC (of any sport) is the right guy for the job. that doesn’t mean that every post in the thread has to be about firing the coach. this thread is being used for its intended purpose, which again, is obviously going to including dialogue about his  being hired in the first place. you might be tired of that discussion, but this is the place for it. we’re not going to start new threads for everything critical about RT that isn’t advocating for him to be fired.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I don't think this thread is going to die.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Funny, if what you say is true, you'd think nobody, anywhere would engage in discussion with me.  But they do.  

"combative and insulting".  Talk about projection.

There's a lot of people on here who have no problem with anyone except for one person.

Yet that one person claims that everyone else is the combative, rude, insulting, argumentative one. 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

There's a lot of people on here who have no problem with anyone except for one person.

Yet that one person claims that everyone else is the combative, rude, insulting, argumentative one. 

It’s also the same people over and over arguing with him. 
Y’all play yourselves.

That said, I just saw that there is a new banner on the site. 
Frustrated Ryan Gosling GIF

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Honestly, I’m more distressed with what’s happening in baseball.

Basketball is little more than a filler between football and baseball seasons.  Where is the evidence that we’ve ever been or ever will be a serious national championship contender?  A deep tournament run once a decade is about all we can hope for and that doesn’t meet the criteria, IMO.

We have the chops of a baseball blue blood.  Correcting that buffoonery should be a much higher priority.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Basketball is little more than a filler between football and baseball seasons.  Where is the evidence that we’ve ever been or ever will be a serious national championship contender?  A deep tournament run once a decade is about all we can hope for and that doesn’t meet the criteria, IMO.

We have the chops of a baseball blue blood.  Correcting that buffoonery should be a much higher priority.

Yeah.  Someone should start a baseball board with a thread to discuss that.  

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The topic is whether to fire RT.  I’m saying there’s a bigger fish to gut before RT.

I'm saying there's a place where gutting that bigger fish is already being discussed.  

It's not an either/or situation.  The University of Texas is perfectly capable of considering multiple coaching changes at one time.  

Edited by idigTexas

I'm mostly just being an ass because that's what we do here.  If you want to discuss the state of the baseball program in a thread discussing whether we should fire the men's basketball coach, go for it.  It's not as though you will make this thread any worse.  

39 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

It’s strange to me how many people have said that because we haven’t been a traditional basketball power that we should not care about it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The topic is whether to fire RT.  I’m saying there’s a bigger fish to gut before RT.

I disagree.  If I had to choose one coach to fire today -- Pierce or Terry -- I'd pick Terry without any hesitation.  Pierce has shown he CAN do it.  Terry has only shown he can do it under very odd circumstances.

• Prepare your anus 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I disagree.  If I had to choose one coach to fire today -- Pierce or Terry -- I'd pick Terry without any hesitation.  Pierce has shown he CAN do it.  Terry has only shown he can do it under very odd circumstances.

I agree with this but I am also in favor of firing both.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

It’s strange to me how many people have said that because we haven’t been a traditional basketball power that we should not care about it. 

I think it's more about expectations than caring.   There are people who think that because of our past, it's not realistic to think we can become, for example, a top 10 program in basketball.  And because they think that's not realistic, they postulate that we cannot attract a top 10 coach.   Which then weakens the argument for firing the current top 150 coach.  Setting aside for a moment the fact that we do not have the political will to fire said coach at this time.   Or that we can clearly hire a Rick Barnes or Chris Beard level coach.

I think CDC has changed the paradigm at Texas.   The next basketball coach we hire (assuming CDC is still the AD) is going to be better than Rick Barnes or Chris Beard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I have Derka on ignore. Not because I hate him, but because I don't feel like scrolling his longass posts. When I think it will be a good post, I view it. It happens somewhat often. That simple. He does post good things too.

But I had to put your bitchass on ignore too. You simply don't understand how to fucking walk away dude. Nobody is interested in reading your bullshit back and forth with derka. And for those of us who have acted appropriately and used the ignore function, you endlessly quoting him kind of defeats the purpose. The whole shit has culminated into one of the more embarrassing threads ever created on this site. Congrats man. You really showed that guy.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me Pierce would be #1. He has had 8 seasons and team is inconsistent, has poor pitching (with him as pitching coach now), hitting has zero approach at plate etc etc. Team seemingly has little fight/chip on their shoulder and he has had ample time to bring in his team/coaches etc.

I was never on board with hiring Terry to begin with (while fully understanding why CDC did it) as he was a career assistant/low D1 HC coach for a reason. I don't think he is ultimately going to make it but I do believe that Terry should get another year. If at end of next season, team regressing/not making tournament/recruiting falling off cliff etc then you can look at letting him go.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We were a stupid error enabled by shitty lights at the worst time of day away from Omaha last year.  Firing Pierce would be idiotic.

Cope. He’s had years to get it done. He got shit on the two other times we made it to Omaha by like 5 runs each. Thanks for 2021 but see ya. Pierce also fucking sucks in the portal/NIL era 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We were a stupid error enabled by shitty lights at the worst time of day away from Omaha last year.  Firing Pierce would be idiotic.

Maybe, maybe not. It would have sent the game to extras. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe, maybe not. It would have sent the game to extras. 

True.  Regardless, Pierce's numbers are very similar to Augie's, and failing to win the CWS in 3 trips is not exactly an outlier.  Gus won 2 times in 17 trips, Augie won 2 times in 8 trips.

5 hours ago, CTC2 said:

We should just go ahead and start arguing about whether RT is fired or extended after year three. 

If we all agreed about everything message boards would be a dull and empty place. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

And to be clear, I don't think it's reasonable to consider whether Terry should be fired right now. I think a legitimate discussion - as far as message boards go, that is - can be made whether he will be fired in the future or keep his job until he retires, but heck, there aren't many coaches at Texas who get to do that. Even some of the very best ones. You not only have to win at a high level to keep your job. You have to keep winning at a high level. 

David Pierce has been practically under the gun since that debacle of a hiring process where we got 4 or 5 coaches significant raises at their current job. Probably the worst coaching search I've ever seen conducted at Texas in my lifetime for a sport that should be a slam dunk. That's just not the CDC way. He identifies his target and then gets them. He had his hands tied with Rodney Terry in what I find completely understandable ways. I understand that baseball has a richer tradition at Texas, and frankly there's no reason not to have the best coaches in the country want to take this job, but the truth is college basketball is more prestigious and higher profile. There's no reason why Texas can't be elite in every sport it fields, which is not something that any other school can say. It just takes the right coach. And we've shown if we don't have the right coach we'll keep firing people until we find them. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CTC2 said:

most of us here have been around long enough to remember when baylor was a total and complete doormat for decades. baylor basketball was worse than rice football. and they certainly don’t have the resources we do. look at their program now. it’s unreal what the right coach and and some savvy cheating can accomplish. and you don’t even have to cheat as much as you used if you wanted to compete. we didn’t build the moody center just to sell tito’s vodka. having a premier basketball program should be and is a priority.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 4:07 PM, HookEm said:

BTW, even the originator of this thread isn't advocating for firing him anymore.

That’s not saying much. I may alter my viewpoint once I see what he pulls (or doesn’t) in the portal haha. Nevertheless, RT will be judged by W/Ls.

Regardless, I love Texas Athletics and will vigorously follow the basketball program - same as I am with our schizophrenic baseball team, and with football when they stunk it up for 11 seasons straight (compared to the stint before it). 

Bottom line, I want RT to succeed, and I’m very excited to watch Tre Johnson next year, but I’m certainly not sold on RT as a long-term option. I hope like hell I’m wrong, though. The worst thing that could happen is he’s just another coach who makes the tourney, wins a game here and there, and this program stays relatively static - when it has so much potential. I think that’s why @shadow_operative is so upset about all of this. He doesn’t hate RT or something of the sort. In actuality, he’s deeply disappointed that Texas Basketball had a potential 20-year guy at the helm who then offed himself by being a damn fool before the going got really good. Then, Texas replaced him with someone who possesses (seemingly) way less potential for mega success without really conducting a search. I get it. I empathize with that sentiment. 

Again, though, RT must lose the job - which he definitely has not done at this point. If and when that happens, I’m confident in CDC to make a fantastic hire. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody is interested in reading your bullshit back and forth with derka. 

Disagree. I enjoy coming back to this thread every 2-3 weeks and catching up on the arguments. I can’t really explain why, but I enjoy this thread.

And I don’t even really like basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1