Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

50 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

So aggy is a top 5 football job

Aggy would absolutely be a destination job if they pulled their heads out of their ass and stopped worrying about being fucking weirdo cult morons as much as winning. Instead they are just a bunch of racist pieces of shit focused on cult behavior and deluding themselves into excuses for championship shares 

• Hook 'Em 7

27 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Texas was a top 5 job because of resources, recruiting, and no pressure to win big. 

They have the resources, facilities and the recruiting.  They want to win but I don't think there is any pressure to win. JMO

Aggy?  Big time pressure to win there.  They just ate 75m because of the pressure.  They always overpay.  And now that we’re in the sec they will always be second fiddle to us. Hell they fired sumlin and he had a decent record.  

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Again, it depends on what we are talking about.  Texas is NOT a top-5 program. By any measure. 

Agreed.

But you could argue that we are a top-5 JOB.  When Barnes was at his peak, there were rumors he was a candidate at Kentucky.  He stayed put.  We hired Shaka when he was the hottest coach in the country.  We hired Beard from an in-state "rival" when he was a year removed from a title appearance.  And all of that was without the Moody Center, NIL or the transfer portal really rolling.

I think you could argue it, but I'd still probably disagree.

Kansas

UNC

Kentucky

Duke

Florida

UCLA

UConn

Michigan State

I think all of the above would or could be considered "better" jobs at least based on prestige.  Hell, I might even argue Louisville, Syracuse, or Villanova rank higher in that regard.  Does Texas rank with UF and UCLA?  Probably, but in terms of prestige I'd have to give the nod to both of those schools over UT BB based on skins on the wall, even though UCLA's were 50 years ago.  Money, quality of life, facilities, NIL resources?  Sure, Texas has an embarrassment of riches in that regard, but I don't think anyone talking "top 5" jobs is really talking about that.  (It's the prestige that gets you that moniker). 

12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I think all of the above would or could be considered "better" jobs at least based on prestige.  

"Prestige"?  Sure.  We haven't done shit yet.  "Potential"?  Texas has it all over most of those schools, and it's been that way for a while.  You can find articles that survey college coaches and we're often the #1 or #2 destination if memory serves.

It's the sleeping giant argument.  Tons of money, incredible facilities, the hottest of recruiting hotbeds and relatively little pressure.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Agreed.

I think you could argue it, but I'd still probably disagree.

Kansas

UNC

Kentucky

Duke

Florida

UCLA

UConn

Michigan State

I think all of the above would or could be considered "better" jobs at least based on prestige.  Hell, I might even argue Louisville, Syracuse, or Villanova rank higher in that regard.  Does Texas rank with UF and UCLA?  Probably, but in terms of prestige I'd have to give the nod to both of those schools over UT BB based on skins on the wall, even though UCLA's were 50 years ago.  Money, quality of life, facilities, NIL resources?  Sure, Texas has an embarrassment of riches in that regard, but I don't think anyone talking "top 5" jobs is really talking about that.  (It's the prestige that gets you that moniker). 

Todd Golden makes 100k more than Rodney Terry at Florida and they don’t have anything like we have in facilities, location, or recruiting base. If we wanted to get Golden, he would be here as soon as we called.

Michigan State is not a better job than here. Ask @Pancho.

Louisville, Cuse, and Nova all have nice recruiting bases but won’t compete financially in NIL with us, not even close.

Your last sentence makes me wonder if you’re reading the thread because literally everyone talking about top 5 jobs is talking about those things. 

22 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I think all of the above would or could be considered "better" jobs at least based on prestige.  Hell, I might even argue Louisville, Syracuse, or Villanova rank higher in that regard. 

coaches don’t care about prestige, and texas isn’t losing out on their top candidate to more than five of the schools you named. we probably aren’t even losing out to five total. maybe two or three depending on the coach. i mean who wants to replace legendary coaches like bill self, tom izzo, or jim boeheim, then having to live in lawrence, kansas, east lansing, michigan, or syracuse NY, when you could live in Austin, recruit just was well, win just as much, make as much/more money, all while having none of pressure. it’s not about prestige, it’s about a multitude of factors, factors which Texas leads the way in.

also, if louisville was a better job than Texas then they wouldn’t have hired kenny payne as their HC. the last two times this job was open Texas got the no.1 available coach in the country. that should tell you a lot about how the job is viewed by coaches. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Other than UK, KU, UNC and Duke, I think we can beat out any program when it comes to hiring the basketball HC. Instead we chose to settle for someone who no other top program would have wanted. Hope CDC learns from this mistake going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Other than UK, KU, UNC and Duke, I think we can beat out any program when it comes to hiring the basketball HC. Instead we chose to settle for someone who no other top program would have wanted. Hope CDC learns from this mistake going forward.

Eltife is the one who needs to learn from his mistakes. He pretty much runs everything. CDC probably gets too much credit and too much blame when it comes to coaching hires in football and basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

This is a legitimately stupid comment. Beard was the answer and he completely fucked it. Everything was trending the right way. Moody center is easily the nicest venue in the country to watch a basketball game in. The fans were stoked. Everything was ready to blow and then he had to seriously flush it all down the toilet and now the sport is stuck with a HC who deserved to get a shot but has quickly proven this is too big a job for him.

He's a great support guy and can make the minor adjustments through the course of a season or game but he can’t overall talent and game plan year over year like the best in the business and that’s what Texas requires for success in todays landscape. 

I agree except with the “deserved to get a shot part”. Anyone else with the exact same resume and circumstances from another school would have never been considered for our vacancy. 
I get that minds differ on this but it just grates me that we had to settle for such a predictably terrible hire because of PR and outside pressure. 

• Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

rick barnes, who turned down the kentucky job while he was at Texas, turned down the UCLA job while he was at Tennessee. i’m not sure i could type out another single sentence that more concisely makes my case than that one.

I agree. This is all true.  On the flip side, I don't think Mick Cronin would have left UCLA for Texas if we had come calling at the end of last year (with him coming off a Final 4 and then back to back Sweet 16s).  

In fact, we would have a near impossible convincing any these guys to leave their current job to come to Texas:

• Bill Self, Kansas
  • Dan Hurley, UConn
  • Scott Drew, Baylor
  • Tom Izzo, Michigan State
  • Mike Cronin, UCLA
  • Mark Few, Gonzaga
  • Rick Barnes, Tennessee (lol)
  • Shaka Smart, Marquette (lol)
  • Chris Beard, Ole Miss (lol)

We might be able to get one of these guys:

• Tony Bennett, Virginia
  • John Calipari, Kentucky
  • Tommy Lloyd, Arizona

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I agree. This is all true.  On the flip side, I don't think Mick Cronin would have left UCLA for Texas if we had come calling at the end of last year (with him coming off a Final 4 and then back to back Sweet 16s).  

In fact, we would have a near impossible convincing any these guys to leave their current job to come to Texas:

• Bill Self, Kansas
  • Dan Hurley, UConn
  • Scott Drew, Baylor
  • Tom Izzo, Michigan State
  • Mike Cronin, UCLA
  • Mark Few, Gonzaga
  • Rick Barnes, Tennessee (lol)
  • Shaka Smart, Marquette (lol)
  • Chris Beard, Ole Miss (lol)

We might be able to get one of these guys:

• Tony Bennett, Virginia
  • John Calipari, Kentucky
  • Tommy Lloyd, Arizona

yep. every time this job opens up it means a pay raise for every coach who might be a candidate. of course you can spin that as yet another reason that Texas is a premier gig- all of the better gigs have entrenched coaches who either aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, or who have a HCIW situation. of all the jobs that have been coming available on a regular basis, none of them compare to this one. not even close. beard was the guy who was gonna be here for decades, and we had him. trying to find another guy who can fit that bill…damn. it’s going to be very tough.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Instead we chose to settle for someone who no other top program would have wanted. Hope CDC learns from this mistake going forward.

Learn what lesson, not to listen to the media, social media, or do gooders? I am a casual, but my recollection of this board in March was 25% actually wanting to keep Terry, 50% didn’t but said you can’t not bring him back due to how we finished, and 25% said hell no. Similar split opinions on if Beard should’ve been fired vs. suspended. We “had to” fire Beard who was free to walk into Ole Miss with zero shit given by media about it, and we get stuck with Terry. Lose lose because we “did the right thing.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Learn what lesson, not to listen to the media, social media, or do gooders? I am a casual, but my recollection of this board in March was 25% actually wanting to keep Terry, 50% didn’t but said you can’t not bring him back due to how we finished, and 25% said hell no. Similar split opinions on if Beard should’ve been fired vs. suspended. We “had to” fire Beard who was free to walk into Ole Miss with zero shit given by media about it, and we get stuck with Terry. Lose lose because we “did the right thing.”

Doing the "right thing" doesn't take you very far in college athletics. Look who just won the CFP and the teams in the last decade. Doing the right thing only ensures mediocrity. You have to be able to take whatever criticism comes your way to make sure you do what's needed to win. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Nah,  you have that wrong on Beard.  At least half the board wanted him fired (including me, and I stand by that opinion).

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nah,  you have that wrong on Beard.  At least half the board wanted him fired (including me, and I stand by that opinion).

I think you are right about that but I also think a lot of people didn’t want to express an opinion as several posters (not you to my recollection) were pretty aggressive about calling those who would have kept him as being pro domestic violence. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Beard fucked it for everyone. He had to go. 

the optics of an interim well like coach going to the elite 8 coaching the majority of the season and then being unceremoniously told to kick rocks is a bad look and worth seeing through/the buyout if it doesn’t work out. It was absolutely the right thing to do. Let’s not all pile on and act like a tournament miss is a sure thing just yet, but if it does then I think it’s pretty much over for him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

the optics of an interim well like coach going to the elite 8 coaching the majority of the season and then being unceremoniously told to kick rocks is a bad look and worth seeing through/the buyout if it doesn’t work out. It was absolutely the right thing to do. Let’s not all pile on and act like a tournament miss is a sure thing just yet, but if it does then I think it’s pretty much over for him. 

Not arguing with you but the same argument will be made if we fire him before three losing seasons. We could miss the tournament, fire him and then be criticized for not giving him a chance. He’s probably here for three years no matter what. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Not arguing with you but the same argument will be made if we fire him before three losing seasons. We could miss the tournament, fire him and then be criticized for not giving him a chance. He’s probably here for three years no matter what. 

No way. Beard proved you need a summer to put together an EE team with an assistant coach running the installed offense and defense. The trajectory has to be there and be clear. It’s different from sark who was rebuilding an entire program and showed he was serious about doing it going into year 2 when keeping the spares around didn’t work. RT can’t take a massive step backward with no momentum going into next season and expect to stay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard didn’t have to go. He just should have been suspended for the season. 

UT is the only P4 institution that gives a shit about optics. 

And RT will be here at least until next year so yall better prepare. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Thank you. Well said.

If Derka's Doomsday scenarios pan out RT is in deep deep trouble. Hottest seat in NCAAM basketball. 

But we have a ton of talent and are only 3 games into conference play. 

Chill and see how it plays out. It's not inconceivable that this team gets it together and makes a run. 8 of the top 10 teams lost last week. Let's not act like any team has it all together at this point in the season.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

if we had suspended beard for the season and said we were waiting for the facts to come out before making a decision on his employment status, we could have had Terry lead us to the EE after which he either gets a big raise as Beard’s top assistant, or we let him go be a HC at another school. it was when we fired Beard with half the season still remaining and no resolution made on his case that we backed ourselves into that corner.

I feel so bad for any ex-girlfriends you might have

Knowing when to let it go is a big help in life. Beard was never getting suspended for the season and coming back. Let it go. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yep. every time this job opens up it means a pay raise for every coach who might be a candidate. of course you can spin that as yet another reason that Texas is a premier gig- all of the better gigs have entrenched coaches who either aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, or who have a HCIW situation. of all the jobs that have been coming available on a regular basis, none of them compare to this one. not even close. beard was the guy who was gonna be here for decades, and we had him. trying to find another guy who can fit that bill…damn. it’s going to be very tough.

I don’t think Beard will be in any one place for decades. Not that kinda guy. 

14 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t think Beard will be in any one place for decades. Not that kinda guy. 

he's gonna leave Ole Miss as soon as possible so he can work his way up the ladder to get one of the big ones.  If he gets one of the big ones he will stay.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

yay for marking time I guess...

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I said three but maybe two? Shit optics if we pull the trigger too quickly 

The only people who care about optics are Texas fans. No other fan base uses that word more that UT. 

Not only that, this isn’t the 90s and early 2000s anymore. The attention span of America is so short, no one would even remember or care if we never hired RT immediately after a new coach was hired. 

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The only people who care about optics are Texas fans. No other fan base uses that word more that UT. 

Not only that, this isn’t the 90s and early 2000s anymore. The attention span of America is so short, no one would even remember or care if we never hired RT immediately after a new coach was hired. 

Hopefully we learned through this that optics dont actually matter that much. We could get rid of Terry pretty easily imo. Sure, maybe some national people will screech about it for a day or two. Then they will move on to another thing to wail about and nobody will remember RT, or that he ever worked at Texas.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Hopefully we learned through this that optics dont actually matter that much. We could get rid of Terry pretty easily imo. Sure, maybe some national people will screech about it for a day or two. Then they will move on to another thing to wail about and nobody will remember RT, or that he ever worked at Texas.

Not advocating for Rodney’s dismissal yet but around Super Bowl time would be best if you want less news.  Won’t even get covered

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not advocating for Rodney’s dismissal yet but around Super Bowl time would be best if you want less news.  Won’t even get covered

If the Hamas thing devolves into nuclear strikes, that would be a good time, too.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Thank you. Well said.

If Derka's Doomsday scenarios pan out RT is in deep deep trouble. Hottest seat in NCAAM basketball. 

But we have a ton of talent and are only 3 games into conference play. 

Chill and see how it plays out. It's not inconceivable that this team gets it together and makes a run. 8 of the top 10 teams lost last week. Let's not act like any team has it all together at this point in the season.

Its hard to understand that after watching Beard  and Barnes, that seemingly little  of their wisdom seemed to soak in, even passively. Maybe RT figures they were both doing it all wrong, or he is just obtuse or scared.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I said three but maybe two? Shit optics if we pull the trigger too quickly 

Winning erases shit optics pretty quick. “Doing the right thing” according to social media buys you about 10 minutes of good feels until the loses start piling up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Had Beard smacked his bitch up, (allegedly) after we were officially playing in the SEC the other institutions would have said welcome to the Club Longhorns, you’ll fit in just fine here! But we bitched out and hit the panic button. 

It’s not enough to worry about optics and race and all the other BS. We actually are, Texas. Stop running things like we are upholding an Austin image.  I want the baddest Mofo out there. Hell at this point I would be ok with hiring the Hammond Honey! Kim looks like she can take on a men’s basketball team.
We want a coach that fucks. I’m sorry I wanted to root for RT, but he is looking more like someone who only likes to watch. Can one of the other coaches on the staff go off on the team, record it, then leak the video to make me think they actually care?

I don’t care about the “optics” of firing Rodney Terry as an indictment of his coaching ability, or based on his success last year, or based on some type of political blowback.  I’m more concerned about the chilling effect on hiring the next guy - what if a tremendous candidate that we could get in another 12 months if we hang on to Terry goes “One bad season, even if it’s the first one, and I could be out?  Fuck that, I’m not returning calls from Austin.”

14 minutes ago, MrX said:

what if a tremendous candidate that we could get in another 12 months if we hang on to Terry goes “One bad season, even if it’s the first one, and I could be out?  Fuck that, I’m not returning calls from Austin.”

tremendous candidates know they’re leagues ahead of RT, they know he was never someone we wanted to hire, and they ain’t scared, especially since they’ll get a big ass contract with a big ass buyout. a tremendous candidate would see this for the once in a lifetime opportunity that it is.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Had Beard smacked his bitch up, (allegedly) after we were officially playing in the SEC the other institutions would have said welcome to the Club Longhorns, you’ll fit in just fine here! But we bitched out and hit the panic button. 

It’s not enough to worry about optics and race and all the other BS. We actually are, Texas. Stop running things like we are upholding an Austin image.  I want the baddest Mofo out there. Hell at this point I would be ok with hiring the Hammond Honey! Kim looks like she can take on a men’s basketball team.
We want a coach that fucks. I’m sorry I wanted to root for RT, but he is looking more like someone who only likes to watch. Can one of the other coaches on the staff go off on the team, record it, then leak the video to make me think they actually care?

Why do you think it took us so long to join the sec and according to ctj we actually explored going to the big ten before finally going sec?  We don’t want to be your typical win at all costs southern school.  We are different just like Michigan and Stanford are different

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Why do you think it took us so long to join the sec and according to ctj we actually explored going to the big ten before finally going sec?  We don’t want to be your typical win at all costs southern school.  We are different just like Michigan and Stanford are different

Michigan?  lol. 

• Fuck You 2