2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

17 hours ago, HouTex said:

I’m demoing Taylor Made irons tomorrow.  Any suggestions on which ones to demo?  I’m currently a 9.5 index and I have been as low as 7.9.  

Never liked TM irons, always found them clicky. I have apex pros and like them, but damn if those mizuno pros arent sexy as fuck. Titleist T100s look great too.

Callaway used store is a good place to start - might be lacking in lady's sticks but you can always buy men's and cut them down, depending on how tall she is.

Ebay will likely have some good finds on lady's sticks as well and I highly doubt there are many fakes on the lady's side.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, milkman said:

My high school daughter wants to start playing golf. Any ideas on a good place to pick up a decent set of used clubs and a bag?

How much do you want to spend? Are you looking to upgrade and in how many years?

When my daughter wanted to learn, I went out and bought her a new women's Strata beginner bag with Driver, 3 wood, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putter. Woods are crap, hybrids are good, irons are ok, putter is crap. In hindsight, I should have bought her some used Adams women's clubs. The used Adams would be better sticks (certainly better shafts) and less expensive. Just buy used. She will upgrade when she gets better. Ebay is your friend. You will get a "better" deal with Auction as opposed to Buy It Now. But with Auctions, you have to be patient as they are fewer options.

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Callaway used store is a good place to start - might be lacking in lady's sticks but you can always buy men's and cut them down, depending on how tall she is.

Ebay will likely have some good finds on lady's sticks as well and I highly doubt there are many fakes on the lady's side.

The issue with cutting men's clubs is the decrease in swing weight (may be a good thing, depending) and even stiffer flex (albeit prob negligible compared to original flex) compared to women's flex. Unless you do it yourself, it may only cost a little less than buying women's clubs.

When I upgrade my daughter's clubs, I have enough good used clubs that I'll just buy the appropriate women's shafts and reshaft everything myself. Spend $100-150 on good shafts and she'll have a really good set.

• Like 1

@milkman I’d suggest asking a few friends who play if their wife or girlfriend ever tried to pick up the game. I know several people who have lightly used lady’s equipment sitting around unused. I’m sure it wouldn’t take much time to find someone willing to loan it out while your daughter decides if she likes the game.  If it sticks she might have enough experience and a swing baseline to buy something more dialed in than the starter set. 

That said, the most likely way it will stick is if she can hit good shots as soon as possible. For the reasons above, repurposing men’s clubs is likely problematic.  Probably too heavy meaning she can’t control them or too stiff meaning they won’t launch as well. Either way - I think getting something that’s made for ladies is her highest likelihood for success.  

Lastly she could probably start with a partial set instead of the full bag. 

But if you’re set on buying clubs, EBay, 2ndSwing and most retailers will have used clubs she can try. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, brown water said:

@milkman I’d suggest asking a few friends who play if their wife or girlfriend ever tried to pick up the game. I know several people who have lightly used lady’s equipment sitting around unused. I’m sure it wouldn’t take much time to find someone willing to loan it out while your daughter decides if she likes the game.  If it sticks she might have enough experience and a swing baseline to buy something more dialed in than the starter set. 

That said, the most likely way it will stick is if she can hit good shots as soon as possible. For the reasons above, repurposing men’s clubs is likely problematic.  Probably too heavy meaning she can’t control them or too stiff meaning they won’t launch as well. Either way - I think getting something that’s made for ladies is her highest likelihood for success.  

Lastly she could probably start with a partial set instead of the full bag. 

But if you’re set on buying clubs, EBay, 2ndSwing and most retailers will have used clubs she can try. 

2nd swing, dallasgolf, and any place with a brick and mortar shop is going to be a more expensive than Auctions on ebay. You will have better selection but you will pay more. I've purchased 4 sets of irons/clubs. I've been pricing and buying clubs for 4 years. I like to try them and sell them if I don't like them.

For example, I bought brand new 5-PW Srixon ZX5 irons from Auction. I got them for $520 shipped. 2nd Swing, Dallas Golf, MapleHill, and other shops had them for around $600 used and $800-900 new. I purchased a very good condition Rogue ST 5 wood on Auction for $90 shipped. Callaway pre-owned had them for $120 + shipping. If you don't have time to watch the auctions, then buy from a pre-owned shop. Sometimes the Buy It Now price on Ebay is cheaper than the pre-owned shops.

Adding to brown water, make sure the bag is wood and hybrid heavy. Agreed that she'll like the sport much better if she actually sees the ball fly in the air. 

[mention=841]milkman[/mention] I’d suggest asking a few friends who play if their wife or girlfriend ever tried to pick up the game. I know several people who have lightly used lady’s equipment sitting around unused. I’m sure it wouldn’t take much time to find someone willing to loan it out while your daughter decides if she likes the game.  If it sticks she might have enough experience and a swing baseline to buy something more dialed in than the starter set. 

Put a post on facebook and our next door neighbor texted that she had a set of clubs we could borrow. Great idea!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Has anyone played the Wynn course? I’m looking at it now from my room and it looks immaculate. My afternoon opened up so I called. Tee times available for only $800! My wife can even ride along for only $120!

I have.  Nothing really special other than the name and convenient location.  If $800 (or $920) doesn't mean much to you, have a ball.  It's a nice break from giving the blackjack dealers money.  Otherwise, imo there are a lot of better courses in or near Vegas for the money. 

Did a fitting for the new taylor made driver today (edwin watts westhimer). Highly recommend, it was very interesting. By the last set up, my carry had increased about 20 yards. The TM rep had all the shafts, that’s what I wanted try. He knows how to dial you in asap 

ill hit a ping event soon, want to hit their driver too

Was starting to convince myself that the weather was turning and I’d be golfing soon, despite what the calendar said. 6 inches of snow yesterday was an unwelcome reminder that it’s still winter. 

• 2 weeks later...

First round of the year at our little club in  CO with a 9 hole par three course but it’s no pitch and putt. Snow in Denver metro melted away finally.

Took the kids out and went around in 34 with zero warm up and a two club wind. Lets get it!

On 2/15/2024 at 12:21 PM, Gale Snoats said:

Has anyone played the Wynn course? I’m looking at it now from my room and it looks immaculate. My afternoon opened up so I called. Tee times available for only $800! My wife can even ride along for only $120!

I have played it.  It was in great condition and our caddie was awesome.  I think I paid $300, something like a decade ago, which I believe was a "special".  I wouldn't pay $800 to play that course.

17 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Anyone have recs for Cabo courses that are open to public?

Its hard to go wrong.  What's the budget? Makes a difference there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2024 at 7:38 PM, hacker said:

Headed to Scottsdale early June. Buddy wants to play TPC so that’s one round. Planning We-Ko-Pa for another.   Suggestions for a 3rd or 4th round?

Troon North

I was just invited to play at Whisper Rock in Scottsdale by one of the members so I'm trying to make that happen in April.  Then again, I may quit altogether as my game during the winter conditions (tight lies) has gone to shit.  I am dying with my short game which is causing me to shoot low 90's versus mid 80's and it's really pissing me off.  What a frustrating game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had a quick trip to  Charlotte, NC later last week and a buddy of mine got me on Charlotte Country Club. I don’t think I have ever played a club that old (built in 1911 I think) and it was unbelievably cool. One of the more enjoyable golf experiences I have ever had down to the caddy named Boxcar that had worked there 50 years.  If you are around those parts, definitely worth the time. 

Now Chileno Bay tomorrow.  I still hate golf though, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:21 PM, Gale Snoats said:

I play there in a tournament every April. It’s not that great. 

Headed to Scottsdale early June. Buddy wants to play TPC so that’s one round. Planning We-Ko-Pa for another.   Suggestions for a 3rd or 4th round?

Like @huge said, Troon North.  Definitely We-Ko-Pa.  TPC Stadium is fun simply because of the WMPO.  Haven't played there in 10+ years, but Talking Stick is decent (two courses).  Wildfire @ the JW Marriott is pretty good as well.  Had a buddy that played Grayhawk last year and enjoyed it (I haven't played it).  McCormick Ranch and Camelback are both much cheaper.  Decent if you're on a budget but lesser quality.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/12/2024 at 6:41 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was just invited to play at Whisper Rock in Scottsdale by one of the members so I'm trying to make that happen in April.  Then again, I may quit altogether as my game during the winter conditions (tight lies) has gone to shit.  I am dying with my short game which is causing me to shoot low 90's versus mid 80's and it's really pissing me off.  What a frustrating game. 

keep your hands in front of the ball at address 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

keep your hands in front of the ball at address 

Short game chef (who saved my short game in a big way) would disagree. He's against "adding speed" at address. Definitely works for me. 

I’ve hit range balls a couple times this calendar year but finally played a full round. 42-35 at texarkana country club. I hit a 3 wood on the front 9 that after centering a tree netted about 40 yards. But happy after I got it together. Love me some DST and leaving work 2 hours early and getting 18 in.

Had two "aha" moments last week.  Saw myself swinging a driver.  Buddy filmed a drive without me knowing.  Saw my back elbow flying out.  Made a little adjustment and hit 10 of 13 fairways.  Then, watched a video about amateur golfer shot distribution where it showed how to adjust your aim target when hitting into greens based on being shorter when you fade it and longer when you draw it.  Only hit 5 GIR, but misses were minimized.  Basically, kept the big numbers off the scorecard with the exception of a bad break on 17 that resulted in a triple.  Finished with an 81.  Need to keep that same mentality in place this year to try to get the handicap down into single digits for the first time in 20+ years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Quintero is great.

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 6:41 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

On tight lies into the grain or on soft turf around the green I go with a putter, hybrid or drop loft (PW or 7iron). And I’m pretty good with a lob wedge. 

It’s nearly impossible to make consistent contact in such conditions unless you’re a tour level player (and even then still probably a crap shoot). 

Edited by DDD Dad

I'm playing Las Vegas CC for the first time next Wednesday.  I've heard it's pretty average but it's on the strip and easy to get to, straight from the airport and then to the hotel after.  It's a $400 bill but as someone said up thread it's more entertaining than dropping that at the blackjack table.  I'll be ready to lose the mortgage on first round games the next day.

Played my first-ever individual stroke play tournament yesterday. Fun experience! Shot 92 that could have been a lot better, hit a lot of good shots, but misses all just happened to find OB/penalty area which really racked it up. Chipped and putted my ass off, left myself a ton of 2-3 footers and didn't miss any, which is a bit tougher when you're in a "no gimmes" environment ha (not that I'd ever take a 3 foot gimme unless it was for triple or something). Was definitely proud that every single provisional or shot after a drop was a very good shot, didn't let one bad shot beat me twice. 

Playing another next Sunday, definitely looking forward to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For you destination golfers, Kaiser's latest and first two of many in Roggen, CO (just northeast of Denver) being built on one of Cervi's ranches.  I've stayed on this ranch and it is spectacular as are their other ranches.  This makes me want to start playing again.  

Keep it low and club up, lads.  

Four Things to Know About New Colorado Golf Destination Rodeo Dunes (pga.com)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That’s cool. Didn’t know they had already moved on from sand valley.  Played Lido with Mike this Fall and was an awesome experience and he is a great dude. Definitely recommend playing one of their tracks when you have the chance. 

• 2 weeks later...

We-ko-pa for sure, there are two courses, would not hesitate to play both

Quintero and Grayhawk

8 hours ago, hacker said:

$90 for this shit at Plum CreekIMG_5455.thumb.jpeg.8bf42b037b4441ef2151d94684b386de.jpegIMG_5457.thumb.jpeg.8a9862ab3b59a01b1d691e01ec67de62.jpeg

Plum Creek was in bad shape when I played it two weeks ago.

Took my youngest out to Bear Creek by DFW airport on Saturday while he was up here for Easter.

My how that place has slipped.  When I was in law school it was probably the nicest golf resort in the Metroplex.  They're still proud as hell of it though ($90 green fee).

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

guess this is the most current active thread…

Anyone a member at Riverbend sugarland?  Debating between it and Westwood. 

Not familiar with Riverbend but I used to play Westwood several times a year and I liked it.